Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about wingspan and should width  (Read 716 times)

LG1816

Question about wingspan and should width
« on: September 06, 2023, 08:44:38 PM »

I'd considered myself quite lucky given that I'm 5'8.5 but have an almost 6' wingspan (182cm). This would mean that theoretically, my proportions should only get better up to a height of just under 6' where I'd have an ape index of 1 (not considering other factors here, just talking about the topic at hand).

But then that got me thinking: wingspan isn't just about your arm length, right? Your clavicles factor into it as well, surely, as that's a horizontal measurement the same as your arms. So the wider your clavicles, the boarder your shoulders, and the bigger your wingspan.

So if wingspan can be altered based on the shoulders, doesn't that factor in to how good you'll look following LL?

Say two people are a height of 5'6 with a 5'10 wingspan. Theoretically, that person should look 'ideal' lengthening to 5'10 for an ape index of 1 (limb proportions not considered of course), but what if one of them had broader shoulders and the other longer arms? Wouldn't the one with the same wingspan but with broader shoulders run the risk of looking like they had short arms after that much height gain, while the other would may look in proportion? Because a larger proportion of the formers wingspan is attributed to the clavicles?

My thinking must be flawed somewhere here as no one mentions this, but I can't really get my head round it.  Thoughts?

informationispower

Re: Question about wingspan and should width
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 09:11:34 PM »

You are right. Best way to judge is pics. But usually 6cms on lengthening looks normal with the vast majority. At 8 some look bad and above usually it looks bad on everyone imo

EndGame

Re: Question about wingspan and should width
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 10:05:54 PM »

It's a common misconception that ape index is 1 on average. It's written in Internet articles as 1 because they are rounding. There are a few research studies. It's about 1.02 if I recall in men and actual really close to 1.00 in women. Maybe women have narrower shoulders is part of it. IDK. Anyway, it's about +1" maybe +1.5" wingspan that would be ideal assuming mean ape index is ideal. Visually finger tips on average go down to mid thigh. So yes a person who has more shoulders and less arms looks like they have shorter arms than when the other way around. The Tibia LL less impactful than Femurs for arm proportions. +5cm Tibia and no change in finger tips to mid thigh. +5cm Femurs and it's like finger tips "moved" 2.5cm up from mid thigh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up