Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital  (Read 120131 times)

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
Re: Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »

I definitely agree that Dr. Parihar is the best option for CLL in India. Frankly I could care less about the look of the hospital because I would only be staying in it for a very short time and you can find nice quality hotels all over Mumbai. If I am able to arrange my stay in Mumbai, then if the consultation goes well I'm hoing with Dr. Parihar. There's another doctor in India who also trained under Paley that I'm going to meet, but I am not sure on him yet because limb lengthening is not his primary interest, though he does seem to have a considerable amount of knowledge in it.

Agree 100%. The man is clearly proficient in the art of Ilizarov. The hospital looks grimy but what doesn't in India? Even Paras is not as pristine as depicted in photo. I'm sure he utilizes sterility in his OT to such a degree that infection will not occur. If you're considering India, it's gotta be Dr. Parihar.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »

Agree 100%. The man is clearly proficient in the art of Ilizarov. The hospital looks grimy but what doesn't in India? Even Paras is not as pristine as depicted in photo. I'm sure he utilizes sterility in his OT to such a degree that infection will not occur. If you're considering India, it's gotta be Dr. Parihar.

My friend in India told me the other day that he e-mailed Dr Paley asking him about what Indian doctor he should go to, and Dr Paley's reply was to go to either Dr Chaudhary or Dr Parihar, so apparently Paley would back Dr Parihar as one of the best surgeons for lengthening in India (kind of surprising he apparently said Dr Chaudhary is a good choice based on all we've heard, but I guess Dr Chaudhary is technically a good surgeon but his attitude about his patients is where the real problem lies.)
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »

Here's a video with a part that shows Dr Parihar's opinion on post-operative weight-bearing. Clearly he thinks people overstate the importance of weight-bearing while distracting.

Part about weight-bearing starts at 4 minutes 37 seconds.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:30:51 PM by Kilokahn »

Machine

• Because you are alive , everything is possible .
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »

if i knew what i know now back then i would blindly go with Dr Mangal Parihar . i would only recommend him for LL in india at this stage .
Dr Paley of india..!!

Polycrates.

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »

What a boss. Looks like he's trying to instruct to a bunch of clowns.
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

crimsontide

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »

Machmanye, why???? I do not get the  love affair with Dr Parihar.. perhaps he's good Perhaps He's not  but how can be recommended? How many successful patients does he have that we know about?  0?

TRS

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »

I had sent an email to Dr.Parihar asking him to elaborate on why he thinks full weight bearing during lengthening with ilizarov is a bad idea and his philosophy on touch down weight bearing, but I still have not received his reply.
Here's a video with a part that shows Dr Parihar's opinion on post-operative weight-bearing. Clearly he thinks people overstate the importance of weight-bearing while distracting.

Part about weight-bearing starts at 4 minutes 37 seconds.

In this video, Dr Parihar does say that people who weight bear on the first or second day of surgery still end up recovering the same time as a person who does touch down weight bearing. But is there any significant risk with full weight bearing with ilizarov/LON during lengthening besides pin bending? As far as I know, isn't the Ilizarov apparatus full weight bearing?

Disobedient

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »

I'm considering Dr. Parihar to do nail rod in femur, however I gave him brief about my situation and asked him about the nail rod or plate fixation , and he said you have to visit me..
and Mumbai is so far from Delhi, I really don't want go there then he'll say what other dr recommend to keep the monorail, that would be a real waste of time and money,,

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

You should just go see Dr Sringari. He has the same skills as Dr Parihar and costs fraction of the price. Also you don't have to go all the way to a scary place like Mumbai.

Not even close.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »

My friend in India told me the other day that he e-mailed Dr Paley asking him about what Indian doctor he should go to, and Dr Paley's reply was to go to either Dr Chaudhary or Dr Parihar, so apparently Paley would back Dr Parihar as one of the best surgeons for lengthening in India (kind of surprising he apparently said Dr Chaudhary is a good choice based on all we've heard, but I guess Dr Chaudhary is technically a good surgeon but his attitude about his patients is where the real problem lies.)

Just as an update to this, my friend in Delhi sent me a screenshot of the e-mail he sent to Dr. Paley asking about which doctor he would advise to go to over there for limb lengthening. I blocked out the majority of the e-mail so his personal info is kept private of course, but you can still see that Dr Parihar is one of the limb lengthening surgeons Paley suggests in India.

(Click to enlarge)

TRS

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »

Just received an email from Dr. Parihar regarding his weight bearing philosophy and the availability of the PRECICE nail in India!!

Weight Bearing
we do allow touch down weight bearing, and weight bearing to the extent required to prevent equines.

on externals weight bearing can be done, because the frames are stronger -

on LON, we are a little more careful as the frames in comparison are lighter and less complicated.

should not have subsidence more than a couple of mm (if at all)

yes you can get in touch with us when you are ready for surgery.

the precice nail is now also available as an option in india, (rules which allow special access to implants to particular patients), and so you could have an option on the tibial lengthening too.

PRECICE Nail
we have not implanted the precice yet. the distributors for india, just met me couple of weeks ago. (i will have to check with them though whether they were talking of the precice or precice2)

however, the insertion of the implant in itself is a standard procedure which is routinely done for trauma cases.

there are some additional points to be taken care of when a nail is used bilaterally for lengthening, which we do when we insert nails for the LON technique.

therefore, i do not foresee any issues in relation to inserting the nail.

overall, in the lengthening (postoperative), there would be a certain learning curve, but i do not anticipate any trouble there, as we have been regularly adopting newer methods / technologies such as six axis fixators without too much of a problem.

much of the supportive treatment such as physiotherapy, exercises etc, are the same, whatever the method. especially when we are talking of reasonable amounts of length.

so yes, if you were to choose to do an internal lengthening, i believe we would be able to carry it out for you.

regards

dr mangal parihar

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Sweet news about PRECICE. I'll ask Dr Parihar about it when I have a consultation with him. Of course I won't be ready for internal femur lengthening for a couple years, but that would give Dr Parihar practice with it as well.

Polycrates.

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »

That is sweet news about precise, but with the nails costing $30kUSD themselves you're still probably looking at a 45-50k surgery price. So you might as well go to an American doc like Mahboubian... I wish Parihar would design a cheaper nail for use. I'd trust his engineering ingenuity and manufacturing arrangements since he is so well versed in this procedure. Internals in the sub-$25kUSD would be revolutionary.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

In the meantime maybe it would be better to go to Dr M, but after Dr Parihar has had access to the PRECICE for a little while I think he'd be the better option so long as you had the money to cover the expense of accommodation there (and if you can afford the PRECICE fees then an extra $5,000 shouldn't be out of the question). I think Dr Parihar has the superior credentials in Ilizarov.

And this won't apply to everyone, but I just decided to never go to Dr M because not only are his advertisements offensive to me personally (that one with the little guy looking desperately at the tall woman in heels http://heightlengthening.com/wp-content/uploads/home_1.jpg), but he also markets CLL so heavily. I just prefer the doctors who have patient requirements for suitable candidates or who don't seek out CLL patients but will accept them if they come to them. It gives me the sense that the surgeon is more doctor than salesman.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:52:56 PM by Kilokahn »

DREAM

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »

Yeah that ad is just messed up.

LLL

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »

Yeah that ad is just messed up.

Yep. I can't imagine how he or anyone else thought that kind of degrading marketing tactics would be a good idea. I don't think it's that hard to get CLL patients after all. In many other countries those ads/billboards would probably be borderline illegal simply because of their content and presentation. Imagine if someone advertised in that fashion for breast implants or liposuction by playing on flat chested or overweight women's insecurities and portraying them as hopelessly unattractive... they would risk going out of business immediately because of the subsequent public outrage.

Polycrates.

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »

That is a shameless ad. No wonder Mahboubian and Apotheosis get along so well. They share the same sense of inane humour.

Dingo

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »

That is sweet news about precise, but with the nails costing $30kUSD themselves you're still probably looking at a 45-50k surgery price.

For that price, I think you'd be better off going to South Africa and do it with Dr Franz for 52K USD (internals with Precice), which is a package price with everything you need already set up.

For such a small difference in price, you should weigh in the following:

- Dr Parihar has never used the Precice
- You'll have to find accommodation, a physio therapist and catering yourself
- Do you trust the Indian legal system?
- After all the horror stories we've heard about LL in India, do you really still want to go there?

There's also New Born in South Korea, where they're currently offering ISKD for 48k USD including all you need for 90 days. South Korea is an advanced country and they're really into cosmetic surgery. New Born seems to have a lot of experience.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »

Just wanted to add from my experience. You won't need to find a physiotherapist on your own while staying in Mumbai. While in the hospital you will have physio twice daily. They had 5 physiotherapists there, three who are there all the time and two who visited. They all have experience with physio on people wearing frames so they know the proper exercises (Dr Parihar chooses all his staff so he makes sure they know how to handle lengthening patients).

If you want phsyiotherapy at your place of stay, then Dr Parihar will arrange for them to come see you on certain dates. Otherwise you will have a physiotherapy session once every two weeks in the hospital's physiotherapy room after you get x-rays taken and Dr Parihar does a checkup. I haven't been charged anything for physio sessions so I think it's included in Dr Parihar's fee.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »

Just got around to watching this video of a lecture Dr Parihar made at an Ilizarov course last year. He talks about how the hexapod works and shows many examples of fixators put on patients by other surgeons, even pointing out mistakes in some of the frames put on by other doctors. A little over a half hour long but very interesting information.

Overdozer

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »

Not very interesting for patients, if you ask me, unless they plan putting on the frames themselves  :o :o :o
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »

Not very interesting for patients, if you ask me, unless they plan putting on the frames themselves  :o :o :o

I don't know. Having frames on at the moment and having been wanting to get lengthening done for years beforehand, I've become pretty fascinated by the science of Ilizarov fixation.

G-Man

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »

Always good to know that your doctor is knowledgeable!

Tinky Winky

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »

Does he give discount for surgery? His price is to expensive so if I write diary for him can he go to Dr Shah 8,000 price?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 01:08:20 AM »

Does he give discount for surgery? His price is to expensive so if I write diary for him can he go to Dr Shah 8,000 price?

He doesn't give discounts for cosmetic lengthening and it would be insulting to ask him to match another doctor's price. If you can't afford him, then you may want to pay Dr Shah a visit to see if he'll be a good choice for you.

Taller

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »

Does anyone know of any developments regarding the availability of the Finnish nail or Guichet nail with Dr. Parihar?

Polycrates.

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 02:09:39 AM »

No known time frame on the Finnish nail from the last time I corresponded with him through email, which was mid-October.

Taller

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 04:02:29 AM »

No known time frame on the Finnish nail from the last time I corresponded with him through email, which was mid-October.

Ok. It is probably still a long way from release, then. Did he indicate what price range the nail is expected/hoped to have?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:53:28 AM by Taller »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:25 AM »

I don't think Dr Parihar will end up going after an Albizzia nail or a variation of it. He might go through with getting Fitbone though. As Polycrates said there's no set timeline for the Finnish nail but he said from speaking with them they seemed open minded in allowing Pitkar to manufacture it to lower costs and he thinks if that happens it will be cheaper than any nail currently on the market.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 05:14:33 AM »

Here are Dr Parihar's recommendations for weight bearing and stretching once the distraction phase is complete. While he does not encourage walking during lengthening and wants you to focus on physiotherapy, once distraction is over he is a proponent of walking to stimulate bone healing. This is what he advised:

1. You have to walk in a continuous fashion for at least two half hour sessions in a day. This should be a continuous walk (in a circle as around a building or in a yard) rather than to and fro (as in a room)

2. It is necessary to continue using a floater splint during consolidation if you have developed equinus, because otherwise, your feet are in equinus for 8 hours a day, which leads to continuation of the equinus.

3. Continue doing ankle stretching exercises - see the following link - especially number 5. http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8047950/ankle-stretches-ankle-flexibility-exercises-ph.htm

egocentrical

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »

its been like a year and somewhat since i last posted - so hi i guess? Life got me sidetracked a little.

i believe to achieve this in the near future this doctor would be my most likely hood of bets -

i'm more then likely to be looking at external route so was looking to see if i could be filled in on two things for this specific doctor;

rough costs of everything, hotels, food, surgery - etc

and length of time for lengthening 5CM-6CM

i know these have been answered a multitude of times but im looking for more of a direct answer from idealistically anyone who has been to this doctor.

i know Kilokhan had, i have had a look but i know a lot of his stay was deciding between doctors.

I'm going in hard headed - i want this doctor, and externals for 5-6cms.

thanks, if anyone answers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up