Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar  (Read 416293 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »

Kilokahn Is Going To India

It is almost a shock that I am finally able to get started on writing this patient experience after so many unexpected events led me to postponing my trip. My landlord kicked all the tenants out of our building suddenly, followed by projects stalling me at work that required me to stay and take care of them. My planned September, 2013 flight to India was postponed indefinitely as a result. Fortunately, after keeping my mind on working and taking care of my priorities, I am now booked for a flight early June and will be heading to India to change my life permanently.

I suppose people will think I am nuts for deciding to go to India even after everything that has been discovered by the online CLL community about particular doctors there, and I can't say I blame them. But I do think there is a good doctor to be found out there, maybe even a few. One of the reasons I decided to start writing this experience now rather than after I've already done the surgery is that I plan to consult with many doctors and post summaries of my consultations in detail within this thread. I think it will be good information for those who still see India as an option for their particular needs.

These are the doctors that I will be consulting with:

New DelhiMumbai

I won't be consulting with Dr Sringari or Dr Sarin, as I really see no point in doing so. However, rest assured that I will post my thoughts on each doctor I consult with. My goal is to make this patient experience as neutral as possible, as my goal is to give realistic expectations to any prospective patient for India, not try to sell anyone here on going.

Why Do I Want Limb Lengthening?
To be taller, duh.  ::)

Okay that's not the whole story, haha. Yes I want to be taller, but it's not so much a want as a need in my opinion. We've all seen the studies correlating height with potential success in multiple areas of life. Even more so, many of us have been personally affected by heightist bigotry from the tall guys who just don't get what short men have to go through, and even outright distaste from those who think we deserve to be treated differently because of our stature. There are specific instances I can recall where my height has been a barrier - I was fired from a sales position after there was a change in upper management and the new boss thought I couldn't represent the quality of their product with my stature, was left without a prom date my senior year of high school because the girl I asked canceled last minute and said she didn't want to wear a dress where she couldn't wear heels, have a mom who cried in front of other parents at the endocrinologist's office when they said I wasn't going to grow anymore at age 15, had been excluded from group activities, etc. The biggest blow was that I realized I couldn't be a really successful professional wrestler among the greats like Hulk Hogan because of my stature, and a pro wrestler was something I had wanted to become since I was a kid.

Hitting the gym and dressing nice didn't really change these things for me or the way I feel about my height all that much. Now I'm not saying that if you're short, you've got no hope. I've known quite a lot of short men who seem to be unaffected by their height or at least are very good at showing they're not bothered by it. I've even known some who are quite popular and have no apparent problems with the ladies. If you ask me, I'd tell you that unless you're absolutely miserable over your height, know all the risks with CLL, and cannot attribute your unhappiness to other factors that are not height-related, then CLL is not for you. With me, CLL is something that's been on my mind for 8 years and it's not going to go away until I do it. Unfortunately I do not think I can move on until this leg lengthening is dealt with. 

My next post will detail all the necessities I'm packing and the medications I've been prescribed by my doctor for stay in India. I hope this patient experience ends up helping many.

Special Thanks (in no particular order):
Dameon - for creating this forum and giving us a place where nobody is afraid to speak out on issues pertaining to limb lengthening.
All those who have done or are currently going through CLL and have chosen to share their experience with others.
All members of LL Forum who continue to make this a community I'm happy to be part of.

Edit: Realized my title was too similar to someone else's so I decided to change it. Curse this OCD of mine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:17:29 AM by Kilokahn »
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

BilateralDamage

Re: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:02:31 AM »

Woooo grats Kilo!  ;D

I know you'll make the right decision on your doctor, and you'll even pave the way for others to do LL in India with some peace of mind.

Taller

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:27 AM »

Thanks for this post! The sense of anticipation, excitement, and suspense I feel regarding your imminent journey is forcing me to go grab some popcorn (I can't help myself, lol)  : ;D But, on a more serious note, I want to sincerely say thanks so much for offering to share your thoughts and recollections of all of these interviews with us. It means a ton that, on your personal journey, you are doing so much to help others in the same boat, when you have no obligation to. Congratulations on making it to this point, the point so many people on this forum only currently dream of. You're truly an inspiration. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that LL will be as meaningful and rewarding as possible for you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:09:40 AM by Tall »

Übermensch

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »

Best of luck for you Kilokahn!!

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:37 AM »

It's good to see you're going to give the other Indian doctors a chance in hopes that you'll find a good one (or more than one).  It could bring hope to a lot of the short guys who can't afford the more expensive clinics.  You're going to have a lot of people hanging on your every word in here from now on.  Best of luck to you.  I already can tell this will be one of the best or the best LL diary ever.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:25:55 AM »

Woooo grats Kilo!  ;D

I know you'll make the right decision on your doctor, and you'll even pave the way for others to do LL in India with some peace of mind.
Thanks. Choosing a doc is going to be tough I think, at least among three of them.

Thanks for this post! The sense of anticipation, excitement, and suspense I feel regarding your imminent journey is forcing me to go grab some popcorn (I can't help myself, lol)  : ;D But, on a more serious note, I want to sincerely say thanks so much for offering to share your thoughts and recollections of all of these interviews with us. It means a ton that, on your personal journey, you are doing so much to help others in the same boat, when you have no obligation to. Congratulations on making it to this point, the point so many people on this forum only currently dream of. You're truly an inspiration. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that LL will be as meaningful and rewarding as possible for you.

Thanks, Tall. Hopefully I can help people with this. I think the biggest worry of mine is catching something while abroad. Hopefully the meds work.

Best of luck for you Kilokahn!!

Thanks Ubermensch :)

It's good to see you're going to give the other Indian doctors a chance in hopes that you'll find a good one (or more than one).  It could bring hope to a lot of the short guys who can't afford the more expensive clinics.  You're going to have a lot of people hanging on your every word in here from now on.  Best of luck to you.  I already can tell this will be one of the best or the best LL diary ever.

That's been on my mind for a while. I don't want to lead anyone with false expectations so I want to make this as unbiased as possible. Thanks for the encouragement.

PrettyTall

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:13:36 AM »

Really good post hope you find the fiest Dr     :D    how about mesuration ?

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »

whats ur height and goal
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Moubgf

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

Kilokahn the boss!

Good luck bro.

Cyber

• Private
  • Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »

You and I seem to have almost identical past history (except for the part about the endocrinologist office) and the same motivations for taking the leap of faith in doing LL.

Good luck with your journey..

Claude

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

Good luck Kilo  8), nice list of docs

Moubgf

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »

Bro, take me with you we do the surgery together,

Claude

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »

Thats some nice Bromance, "fly away with meee... (whispering at the end of the song: "Take me")"  8)

Disobedient

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »

I think that’s how it should be.. Doing LL in group of 3-4.. ( if you agreed to do with same dr)
It’s not that you only can save some cash from that, but also it would be much easier to see someone going through the same thing  ..  when it comes to how we as human being could feel sad if we see someone is suffering to the end of this crap.. but when it comes to LL you’d feel better to see that you’re not the only one who is suffering.. of course you still have to say I’m so sad for your pain bla bla but deep inside you’re really happy.. you may get what I mean when you do LL.. so yeah better to do it with group

Good luck kilo, but who is mal khan tent???

HelloThere

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »

Good luck Kilo! I'm excited for you :), keep us posted on how your trip to India (and happiness) goes!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I'll update more as I get things ready. I'm just going to relax today though :D

Really good post hope you find the fiest Dr     :D    how about mesuration ?

My Measurements
Total Height: 165 cm
Sitting height: 89 cm
Wingspan: 170 cm

whats ur height and goal

I'm shooting for 5.5 cm on tibias. That'll get me just over 170 cm.

Good luck kilo, but who is mal khan tent???

It's a manipulation of the word malcontent.
 1. mal·con·tent noun \ˌmal-kən-ˈtent\
- a person who is always or often unhappy or angry about something
- one who bears a grudge from a sense of grievance or thwarted ambition

The definition fits my thoughts about me thinking that my height has always prevented me from doing things, both by my own psychological barrier that I put on myself and from others who thought my height made it so I wasn't 'allowed' to do things the taller guys could, so to speak.

I just replaced 'con' with 'Kahn' from my username to make the title more personal.

Taller

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »

Wow, you have a really tall sitting height relative to your overall height. Good for you!

Gichelu

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 03:20:29 AM »

I'm shooting for 5.5 cm on tibias. That'll get me just over 170 cm.

No offense but I think it's a really bad choice to only do 5.5 cm for lengthening when spending so much money. You should go for 8 cm and be 173 for one surgery. Also do Russia instead of India. Everyone there gets f***ed up.
The world is a diagonal. I am the balancing point.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »

No offense but I think it's a really bad choice to only do 5.5 cm for lengthening when spending so much money. You should go for 8 cm and be 173 for one surgery. Also do Russia instead of India. Everyone there gets f***ed up.

None taken. I just think getting from 5'5 to 5'7 with one surgery is good enough and that my recovery will go a lot smoother at that amount as opposed to three inches on tibs, and if I decide to lengthen femurs in the future I'll be better off. If I do two surgeries I don't want to go beyond 11.5 cm, and I believe 5.5 cm on tibs followed by 5.5 or 6 cm on femurs would be better from a biomechanical standpoint than 8 cm on tibias followed by 3.5 cm on femurs. It would also mean that I'm paying a lot more per cm for the second surgery if I lengthen a lot on tibs and decide to go for a second surgery for the added 3 to 4 cm. Besides, lengthening both segments closer to the same amount would probably look a lot better aesthetically.

Blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »

I am about the same height as Kilokahn and I had a goal of about 8cm on tibs for the same reason as Gichelu.  More bang for the buck.  But now my goal is 5.5 on tibs to ensure I get at least 5cms.  I take the train to work everyday and I compare knee height to everyone I sit by.  The guys who have 8cm longer tibs are usually around 190cm.  I think 5cms is very good gain and will put me close enough to average and will heal much quicker than 8cms.

Arche

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

Voted for worst advice ever haha although I agree with the India part, but not with the Russian part either (they don't do LON/LATN/LATP). Saying you'll spend 7-10 months in frames and then actually doing it....

Cannibal

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »

You have to be a complete moron to go to any Indian doctor at this point. Have all the cases of people getting messed up not communicated well enough that India is a country best avoided for this kind of procedure? Not to mention that going from 5'5 to 5'7 you're still going to be short anyway.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »

You have to be a complete moron to go to any Indian doctor at this point. Have all the cases of people getting messed up not communicated well enough that India is a country best avoided for this kind of procedure? Not to mention that going from 5'5 to 5'7 you're still going to be short anyway.

I'm sure there are some competent, ethical Indian docs out there who do LL.  Maybe none of them would get in bed with Apo/SysOp/Prophet of LL and that's why we don't have much evidence. 

But I would need to see many successful diaries in order to going to India.

Taller

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 03:40:06 AM »

What a mean comment. You're suggesting that, just because he'll never be subjectively "tall" according to you, he should just give up. Well, news flash: not everyone is as lucky/narcissistic as you to start LL at average height. You have no idea what 5'5 people have to put up with through no fault of their own. LL is not about beauty for them, it's about being treated fairly. Honestly, I think that there should be a "social rights movement" for shorter folks. Surely you'll agree that Kilo will be treated better at 5'7 than 5'5. I know that I'd take being 5'7 over 5'5 any day without a doubt. I know at least ten times more 5'7 people than 5'5 people, so, Kilokahn, I honestly feel that you'll be much more normal looking at 5'7. Your height will no longer stand out, it will just look slightly bellow average but perfectly normal and common. Don't let the haters grind you down  8)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »

I love you, too!  :-*

Serously though, it's silly to dismiss an entire country because of the results of two doctors who were both affiliated with the same webmaster and had most of the same staff. I don't think it's a huge surprise that the problems carried over to the second doctor especially when you can't find anything related to Ilizarov surgeries when you look up his credentials.

What a mean comment. You're suggesting that, just because he'll never be subjectively "tall" according to you, he should just give up. Well, news flash: not everyone is as lucky/narcissistic as you to start LL at average height. You have no idea what 5'5 people have to put up with through no fault of their own. LL is not about beauty for them, it's about being treated fairly. Honestly, I think that there should be a "social rights movement" for shorter folks. Surely you'll agree that Kilo will be treated better at 5'7 than 5'5. I know that I'd take being 5'7 over 5'5 any day without a doubt. I know at least ten times more 5'7 people than 5'5 people, so, Kilokahn, I honestly feel that you'll be much more normal looking at 5'7. Your height will no longer stand out, it will just look slightly bellow average but perfectly normal and common. Don't let the haters grind you down  8)

Although I won't be tall even if I decide to do two surgeries, it's still an improvement and my I won't be nearly as held back psychologically. I think my proportions will look better after one surgery as well. As it is my shoulders are very wide and my upper body is a decent enough length. My legs are where it's noticeably shorter than others. On the wrestling team half the quips I got about my body were height jokes, the other half were on my short legs in particular.

inches

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »

I'm thrilled who's Dr you're going to choose Kilo 'cos I'm thinking of going to India too probably later this year. ;D
Best of luck!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »

Flight is in 11 days. Time for another update.

Medical Visa Requirements For India
Those thinking of going to India for CLL are recommended to obtain a Medical Treatment visa before entering the country rather than a Tourist visa and trying to extend their stay or switch to a Medical Treatment visa later. This will give you peace of mind and just make everything easier in the long run, as Medical Treatment visas (at least in the USA) are valid for an entire year from the date of issue. The easiest way to obtain a Medical Treatment visa is to send an e-mail to a hospital you are considering for surgery and tell them that you desire to have CLL and wish to have a Medical Treatment visa for entry. The hospital should have no problem writing a letter addressed to your nearest Indian Embassy/Consulate General of India Office and e-mailing it back for you to include with other documents to send in to the appropriate visa application center. I submitted my application to BLS International Services of San Francisco, which handled all applications for California and other parts of the Pacific Coast. They were a royal pain to deal with, mainly due to their haphazardly placed and contradictory information on appropriate fees to send in and what documents were really required, but fortunately they are no longer authorized to handle applications as of May 21, 2014. The Embassy of India has given the new contract for providing Visa applications to Cox & Kings Global Services, and based on their website it looks like their process is much more straightforward.

http://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/type-of-visa/medical-visa.crapml

If you are able to have attendants with you, you can bring two people under Medical Attendant visas that have the same validity as a medical tourist visa. If you have close friends or family who you trust and can bring with you, I'd highly recommend it so you don't have to be alone.

Awkward Doctor Visit
In order to obtain a Medical Visa I not only required a letter from a hospital in India, but also needed a letter from my primary physician to accompany my other documents. I got to my doctor's office in the early morning and after a brief wait in the lobby had my height, weight, and blood pressure checked by a nurse before my doctor came in. Out stepped the nurse and now I had to try and get that letter of recommendation from my doctor that would okay me for treatment in India. The following is how I remember our conversation going down.

Doc: Hey, how's it going?
Kilokahn: Good. How about yourself?
Doc: Not bad, not bad. So what's going on today? The nurse said you're going on a trip. Where to?
Kilokahn: India.
Doc: Wow, okay. Why India? Business, vacation?
Kilokahn: Well...not exactly. It's actually for a cosmetic surgery. Can't really afford the top doctors in the States for it so I found some doctors over there within my price range that have the credentials. Reason I came today is that in order to get this done I need a recommendation letter from you giving me the green light so I can get a Medical visa.
Doc: Interesting. What kind of cosmetic surgery is this?
Kilokahn: *jokingly* An elective one.
Doc: Hah, well what's this cosmetic surgery that you're electing to have done?

I had planned on keeping the real purpose of my trip to India a secret from everyone, including my physician, but it just wasn't going to work out that way.

Kilokahn: *after pausing a bit* Limb lengthening. To get taller.
Doc: I see. How does that work?

I then proceed to describe what I had learned about the process of limb lengthening, from placement of the fixators, to distraction, to consolidation and fixator removal.

Doc: That sounds scary. What would make you want to do that to yourself?
Kilokahn: It's something I can't get out of my mind. After years of being the butt of jokes, getting fired from a job because my new boss thought I wasn't tall enough, and having to deal with the social stigma that made me miserable in times parents tell their kids they should be happy, like prom, college, etc, I figure that if I can change how I look at myself and how others look at me, then I might as well go for it, then put it behind me and try to enjoy my life from that point.

My doctor didn't say anything for a while and looked deep in thought. It was awkward for me, not only because I had just revealed to him that I had height neurosis, but because my doctor also wasn't much taller than me. I didn't know if he was personally insulted, was thinking that he knew what I was going through, or was thinking that I'm like one of those anorexic women who think they're too fat and would recommend me to a psychologist. He finally spoke after what seemed like minutes of silence.

Doc: Well look, I understand what you're saying. Certainly there are settings where stature is advantageous, and I know there are women who can get picky about height. But I can't just write you a recommendation to go and get your legs pulled apart in a foreign country. Kaiser prefers that we don't recommend people get procedures elsewhere, especially elective ones. And with something like this, I wouldn't be comfortable giving you a recommendation in writing that you get this done to yourself.

As soon as my doctor said this I thought my goal was finished before it even started.

Kilokahn: But I'm not saying for sure that I'll absolutely get it, you know? I just want to be able to talk to some of these doctors at least, see what sort of practice they have going on there, get their opinions and all that. Honestly, if I saw things there that were sketchy or alarming I'd forget about it and come right back home. But this is one of those things where if I don't at least go over and talk to them I'll be thinking about this constantly and I'll just be stressed day in, day out.

This was all true. If none of the doctors in India seem any good, I will decide to do the surgery elsewhere.

Doc: Hmm... if that's what you want to do, then by all means. I still can't personally recommend they do this, though. The best I can do is write you something worded in a way that says I am not prohibiting you from seeking medical treatment over there. Will that do?

Kilokahn: Yes, that's fine. I just need something saying I saw you and you're not against it.
Doc: Okay I'll write you something up real quick. Good luck over there and remember to call our international travel clinic before you go so we can get you medication before you enter the country.

I wasn't exactly sure if that type of letter would suffice, but fortunately BLS International accepted it. The letter itself didn't mention anything about cosmetic leg lengthening and just said that I wasn't prohibited from seeking medical treatment in India.

Medications for India
After my doctor visit I was prescribed three medications for use in India.

Left: Vivotif Berna Vaccine - For typhoid fever. Taken once every other day starting two weeks before departure date.
Middle: Atovaquone-Proguanil - Anti-malarial medication. Taken once daily starting one day before entering India.
Right: Ciprofloxacin - Antibiotic for bacterial infections. Taken twice a day with food for up to three days while symptoms persist.

You definitely don't want to contract any of these things while lengthening, so go to your doctor and get prescriptions necessary for international travel to India, should you decide to do your lengthening in the country.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:07:18 PM by Kilokahn »

Gichelu

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »

Malaria and typhoid fever?! India sounds so scary.
The world is a diagonal. I am the balancing point.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »

Btw guys, if you have any questions in mind that you want me to ask these doctors, then PM me and I can make a list. I have questions of my own but maybe you'd like to know something specific like their opinion on weight bearing, how they would address a specific issue, accommodation options, etc.

My cirst consultatin is in 4 days  :o

LittleLiam

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »

Hi Kilo

I am following your investigation with great interest and like you am eager to get LL soon but with minimal risk and lowest cost possible.  I am actively discussing with China and Syria right now with a view to flying to both countries to investigate in July/August.  Had disregarded india until I started reading your views.  I want to have my femurs lengthened  (already very short compared to people with shorter torso by 5-7 centre metres).  Would like LON or LTN and want to live in house/apartment during lengthening.

Who knows we might be in India together ?

Cheers

Liam

Taller

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »

Definitely ask doctors about the method (if any) that they use to keep the fibula bone in place relative to the tibia while lengthening. This is super important because you could end up with permanent ankle pain if it isn't done properly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Up