Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Staying Alone after Surgery  (Read 17196 times)

Time4LL

Staying Alone after Surgery
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »

Can a person stay by oneself lengthening LON external tibias in an apartment? What would be the possible problems with this? Any people who have been through this procedure it would be great to hear comments from you.

GeTs

Re: Staying Alone after Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »

I still think the first two weeks better stay in hospital and then if u decide to stay alone, better have a couple of numbers to call that can arrive quickly at Your house

Overdozer

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »

It's not that much different from staying alone in an apartment while not lengthening, you should be able to move just fine using crutches. The main discomfort comes from moving outside the apartment, to make an x-ray or to buy yourself food (you may have to climb ladders and you may be too weak for such distances).
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

GeTs

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »

It's not that much different from staying alone in an apartment while not lengthening, you should be able to move just fine using crutches. The main discomfort comes from moving outside the apartment, to make an x-ray or to buy yourself food (you may have to climb ladders and you may be too weak for such distances).
lengthening alone would be aproblwm?

Overdozer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:07:01 PM »

lengthening alone would be aproblwm?
Lengthening alone is ok, you'll just need to move more, than someone who isn't alone. That can be a positive thing too, walking is a very good PT to prevent ballerina and knee contractures.

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »

Yeah you can, but I would not recommend it. You have to give yourself thrombosis injections and clean your pins by yourself. I don't know if you can do that all alone while lengthening.

TRS

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »

From my experience, I have been staying alone in my room since hospital discharge. I am able to cook for myself (but recently I have been ordering food since I'm a bit lazy), able to move around and get things using my wheelchair and walker. But I order groceries online and they deliver it to my room. I travel to the clinic daily by shuttle (organised by the clinic). I had to give myself anticoagulant injections and it was quite scary when I did it the first time but then it was not a problem and I easily injected myself without any pain.
If someone is willing to come with you then it would be a good idea, provided they know what you will be going through. They should know that you will be incapacitated and disabled for several months. Also you may end up in the room whole day. If someone does come with you then you will have extra motivation to go outside the apartment. You will feel more secure that someone is with you incase you get lost or fall down or any other emergency.
(BTW i'm not a LON patient but a precise patient).

Time4LL

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

Thanks for all you guys' input. Do you have to have a thrombosis injection? It seems people put too much emphasis on accommodation if this is true.

Overdozer

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »

Thanks for all you guys' input. Do you have to have a thrombosis injection? It seems people put too much emphasis on accommodation if this is true.
I took piils against Deep Vein Thrombosis for first 4 months after the surgery and then I stopped. You don't need injections...

Time4LL

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »

Thanks for all your positive remarks exclide that really helps me out.

runaway

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:12:42 PM »

我今年27岁,男生。身高166CM,请问可以长到180CM吗?

jexus

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »

I’m a LON patient at 6,5 cm’s.
I have monorails. Monorails were full weightbearing until 3,5 cm so until 3,5 I could stay alone without major problems. From 3,5 cm till 6,3 cm I used the walker but after 6,3 I can’t give any of my weigt to my legs so even with the walker I can not walk right now. I recommend you not to be alone. Sometimes I need help to get up or go to toilet and you can fall easily if you dont give attention.
1.68-1.69 to 176.5(morning) - 174,5 tibial monorail LON with Dr. Inan. Surgery 10.07.2017/ Fixator remove 12.10.2017/ Walk unaided with casts 19.10.2017/ Walk completely unaided 15.12.2017/ Walk completely normal (Jan-Feb 2018 probably)

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Have someone come over daily to help stretch you
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »

After doing PRECICE 2 with Paley in West Palm Beach, programdude recommends having someone help you stretch daily, in addition to all the PT work.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

ZUCC420

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 07:20:17 PM »

Out of topic but I'm curious since I am the same height as you pre-surgery and the same sitting height, so what I want to know is: is it noticeably disproportionate after lengthening to become 181 cm? Another query is since you lengthened 7.5 cm on tibia which I heard is above 5 cm ""safe"" limit, do you feel your stride isn't what it used to be in a positive sense and if so what changed?
Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods. And the one man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool. - Plato

A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Pages: [1]   Go Up