Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could LL shorten life expectancy?  (Read 1456 times)

Could LL shorten life expectancy?
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:37 AM »

I know we don't have any study for this as people who have gotten LL haven't gotten old so far. But 1 person did LL 10 years ago and is fine today doesn't really mean much.

But technically, on paper, could it be the case? As the soft tissues and blood vessels are stretched unnaturally then makes our body work harder for peforming physical movement, blood flowing and the activities in our body in general.

Not to mention it possibly triggers bone cancer.

Zeo

Re: Could LL shorten life expectancy?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:23:35 AM »

How would it trigger bone cancer? You sound like the guy who said having a foley can give you erectile dysfunction. Did you read that somewhere because that is a big statement to make.

The blood vessels is an interesting question though, but it sounds like the new blood vessels created/stretched work jsut as well as any other boood vessels in the body.

I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

MirinHeight

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:50:44 AM »

idk how LL would cause bone cancer.
millions of people get fractures/break their legs every year and get nails or external fixators installed. Not to mention the people who get LL for leg length discrepancies.

and no it should not cause any circulatory problems. Stay healthy, work out, eat a good diet, don't smoke and you should not have any worries when it comes to circulatory problems. LL should not cause these problems.

when undergoing LL in the US (external or internal), these are the three main complications you need to watch out for-

1. Fat Embolism Syndrome
2. DVT leading to pulmonary embolism
3. Compartment syndrome.

There are things you can do to limit these complications by a lot. I suggest you to read up on them.
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Johnson1111

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 05:57:35 AM »

millions of people get fractures/break their legs every year and get nails or external fixators installed. Not to mention the people who get LL for leg length discrepancies.

and no it should not cause any circulatory problems. Stay healthy, work out, eat a good diet, don't smoke and you should not have any worries when it comes to circulatory problems. LL should not cause these problems.

when undergoing LL in the US (external or internal), these are the three main complications you need to watch out for-

1. Fat Embolism Syndrome
3. Compartment syndrome.

There are things you can do to limit these complications by a lot. I suggest you to read up on them.
you are 179cm log out and go outside. Do you really not feel a good height?

MirinHeight

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:02:24 AM »

you are 179cm log out and go outside. Do you really not feel a good height?

everybody has their own perspective. I have explained it to many on this forum and have received no backlash for why i want to do it. Most understand when I tell my story. Now, right now is not a time to show your insecurity and inferiority complex when we are trying to talk about complications in this thread. Take your negativity somewhere else.

Thanks
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Johnson1111

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:08:23 AM »

everybody has their own perspective. I have explained it to many on this forum and have received no backlash for why i want to do it. Most understand when I tell my story. Now, right now is not a time to show your insecurity and inferiority complex when we are trying to talk about complications in this thread. Take your negativity somewhere else.

Thanks

It is negativity steering you away from paying 100k+, destroying your athletics at above average height in the US..On a board full of men who are mostly half of a foot or more shorter than you are?

Does not matter how long you have been on here or how many posts you have, it does not change the level of ridiculousness in your thought process.

Only thing you are right about is it not being on topic. That is my last comment to you on this post apologies to OP

myloginacc

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »

MirinHeight is a great contributor to these forums, and he has done all or most of the research needed on CLL. He's not like the 5'10/177~178cm teenagers who read 6 feet memes online, register here, and decide to use life/college savings to go get the surgery, without understanding much about it, with surgeons like Barinov or Sringari. He understands the risks, and is taking his time to do it right. He's not doing it because he feels lacks height to be with women (which he doesn't at his height, and he has already stated he has a GF). It's his personal choice to make. He's fully informed about all of this. We may not do it if we had his height, but it's his life.

@On-topic: Distraction osteogenesis through the Ilizarov apparatus has been practiced since the 60s. Cosmetic DO/CLL is a much newer practice. But people like Catagni treated "constitutionally short men" (I believe men under 165cm/5'5) through LL since at least the 70s. Shevtsov and Solomin also have been in it for a long time. We'd have to rely on a follow-up study published by them to know if CLL has an impact on relative mortality.

The most high-profile case of LL died at 60.

But sources make no mention of the cause - at least, as far as I've searched. They just mention a "prolonged illness". Doesn't sound like something vascular related.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/sports/valery-brumel-is-dead-at-60-russian-set-high-jump-marks.html
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »

How would it trigger bone cancer? You sound like the guy who said having a foley can give you erectile dysfunction. Did you read that somewhere because that is a big statement to make.

The blood vessels is an interesting question though, but it sounds like the new blood vessels created/stretched work jsut as well as any other boood vessels in the body.

Regarding the bone cancer, I just read it somewhere on older threads and just thought it could be a possibility since your legs are broken purposely and a lot of metals go through them.

What do you mean by the new blood vessels created/stretched work just as well as any other blood vessels in the body? I suppose the other blood vessels are not unnaturally stretched according to the artificial bones lengthen?

1. Fat Embolism Syndrome
3. Compartment syndrome.

I was just wondering. I think fractures are different from bones being cut and separated like that. And for leg lengthening discrepancy, it's mostly unilateral. But it's good to know if none of them got bone cancer.

And yeah, I've done some research on the other complications you mention. Only not so clear on CECS

MirinHeight is a great contributor to these forums, and he has done all or most of the research needed on CLL. He's not like the 5'10/177~178cm teenagers who read 6 feet memes online, register here, and decide to use life/college savings to go get the surgery, without understanding much about it, with surgeons like Barinov or Sringari. He understands the risks, and is taking his time to do it right. He's not doing it because he feels lacks height to be with women (which he doesn't at his height, and he has already stated he has a GF). It's his personal choice to make. He's fully informed about all of this. We may not do it if we had his height, but it's his life.

@On-topic: Distraction osteogenesis through the Ilizarov apparatus has been practiced since the 60s. Cosmetic DO/CLL is a much newer practice. But people like Catagni treated "constitutionally short men" (I believe men under 165cm/5'5) through LL since at least the 70s. Shevtsov and Solomin also have been in it for a long time. We'd have to rely on a follow-up study published by them to know if CLL has an impact on relative mortality.

The most high-profile case of LL died at 60.

But sources make no mention of the cause - at least, as far as I've searched. They just mention a "prolonged illness". Doesn't sound like something vascular related.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/sports/valery-brumel-is-dead-at-60-russian-set-high-jump-marks.html

Yeah I saw that athlete you mentioned before. It probably has nothing to do with LL. He had a serious accident, not just bones lenthened.

myloginacc

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »

Yeah I saw that athlete you mentioned before. It probably has nothing to do with LL. He had a serious accident, not just bones lenthened.

I know. However, he even returned for a last vault jump after the successful treatment by Dr. Ilizarov. That was after 20 unsuccessful operations. Of course, his distraction osteogenesis treatment also wasn't cosmetic.

He died much later after all that (i.e. accident and surgeries) happened, but it was at the age of only 60. Very unusual for an Olympic medalist. Too bad this is horrible anecdotal evidence, a sample size of one, and English-language websites don't specify what he was suffering from before his death.

Either way, I think the subject of this thread is a very pertinent question for current medical science - the practice of DO is not going away soon.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »

I know we don't have any study for this as people who have gotten LL haven't gotten old so far. But 1 person did LL 10 years ago and is fine today doesn't really mean much.

But technically, on paper, could it be the case? As the soft tissues and blood vessels are stretched unnaturally then makes our body work harder for peforming physical movement, blood flowing and the activities in our body in general.

Not to mention it possibly triggers bone cancer.

Did you know - exposure to sun can give you skin cancer, using plastic can, eating bread that is partially burned can, wearing polyester clothes can, wearing rubber shoes can and we can go on. You are imagining/overthinking and trying to make something out of nothing - I recommend watch a movie and prepare for LL, idle mind is Devil's workshop.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Probably, by at least a bit
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »

We know that sleep deprivation increases mortality risk, and pretty much every LL patient reports terrible sleep for a few months after the surgery. How much those few months matter in the overall lifespan, we don't know.

Tip: use a latex foam mattress for much better sleep.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Re: Probably, by at least a bit
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »

I know. However, he even returned for a last vault jump after the successful treatment by Dr. Ilizarov. That was after 20 unsuccessful operations. Of course, his distraction osteogenesis treatment also wasn't cosmetic.

He died much later after all that (i.e. accident and surgeries) happened, but it was at the age of only 60. Very unusual for an Olympic medalist. Too bad this is horrible anecdotal evidence, a sample size of one, and English-language websites don't specify what he was suffering from before his death.

Either way, I think the subject of this thread is a very pertinent question for current medical science - the practice of DO is not going away soon.

Is there any difference between the distraction osteogenesis in his case and the one we have in modern CLL nowadays? If his wasn't cosmetic, then it's more about corrections and his soft tissues and blood vessels didn't get stretched.

Did you know - exposure to sun can give you skin cancer, using plastic can, eating bread that is partially burned can, wearing polyester clothes can, wearing rubber shoes can and we can go on. You are imagining/overthinking and trying to make something out of nothing - I recommend watch a movie and prepare for LL, idle mind is Devil's workshop.

Yeah I heard about that, but we can choose not to sunbathe, use plastic can, etc. I'm preparing for LL regardless, but just wondering about such possibility.

We know that sleep deprivation increases mortality risk, and pretty much every LL patient reports terrible sleep for a few months after the surgery. How much those few months matter in the overall lifespan, we don't know.

Tip: use a latex foam mattress for much better sleep.

The sleep deprivation is the last thing that I am concerned about as I've been sleep deprived my whole life. But more about the side effects from the surgery itself.

myloginacc

Re: Probably, by at least a bit
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »

Is there any difference between the distraction osteogenesis in his case and the one we have in modern CLL nowadays? If his wasn't cosmetic, then it's more about corrections and his soft tissues and blood vessels didn't get stretched.

He broke one of his legs in a motorcycle accident.

Specifically:

Brumel broke his tibia in a motorcycle accident and had 20 unsuccessful operations over a three-year period to try to repair his non-union. Ilizarov used distraction osteogenesis to heal the non-union and 3.5 cm (1.4 in) leg length discrepancy.

The main thing I was getting at is that his amount was much lower than most people get on this forum, plus the fact he never increased his height this way. His tibial DO and the ones done here are different beasts.

Just imagine how much of a mess his tibia was after that accident, though. Twenty operations and a 3.5cm non-union gap still unsuccessfully treated. His soft tissues probably didn't get stretched the conventional way with LL, but I'm sure the treatment of that was quite messy for his leg, one way or another.
Pages: [1]   Go Up