Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Deaths caused by LL  (Read 7666 times)

Re: Deaths caused by LL
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:27:53 PM »

That's scary man.

Tiger9898

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »

I don't think that Second link is mainly about death caused by LL. The man who died had heart attack. He had unilateral lengthening and his death happened after consolidation period of his right /left leg
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

myloginacc

Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Johnson1111

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:37:18 AM »

Fxck.... These surely could have been prevented, no?

totallyred

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:19:10 AM »

What exactly is the cause of fat embolism/pulmonary embolism, their probability and their prevention/cure?

Johnson1111

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »

What exactly is the cause of fat embolism/pulmonary embolism, their probability and their prevention/cure?

I wonder if keeping cholesterol and blood pressure in check and in good health before getting the surgery will increase the chances of you coming out unscathed as far as FE and blood clots go

totallyred

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 05:52:58 AM »

@tiger9898: second is actually a clear cut case of fat/pulmonary embolism.

totallyred

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 05:55:46 AM »

I wonder if keeping cholesterol and blood pressure in check and in good health before getting the surgery will increase the chances of you coming out unscathed as far as FE and blood clots go
But dear you have to keep it like this for 6 months with no physical activity allowed... Isn't it difficult to maintain?

Also did rgkey really died of this sort of complication?

Johnson1111

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »

But dear you have to keep it like this for 6 months with no physical activity allowed... Isn't it difficult to maintain?

Also did rgkey really died of this sort of complication?

I suppose a proper diet could help. So this means it might be slightly more expensive when choosing your own foods but if it means no embolism or clot then i'm fine with it.

myloginacc

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »

On pulmonary embolism and DVT.

Regarding fat emboli, they will most likely get released into your system after an osteotomy. That doesn't automatically mean you'll develop Fat Embolism Syndrome (FES).

However, I believe (I'm not a doctor disclaimer, as always) all medicine can do against FES is monitoring symptoms and enabling forms of ventilation. If you get acute/fuminant FES (the worst form), I think the only option is to get mechanical ventilation, then have the doctors do what's described here and pray for you.

Another useful thread:
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=8960.0

FES diagnosis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_embolism#Diagnosis
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

totallyred

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »

On pulmonary embolism and DVT.

Regarding fat emboli, they will most likely get released into your system after an osteotomy. That doesn't automatically mean you'll develop Fat Embolism Syndrome (FES).

However, I believe (I'm not a doctor disclaimer, as always) all medicine can do against FES is monitoring symptoms and enabling forms of ventilation. If you get acute/fuminant FES (the worst form), I think the only option is to get mechanical ventilation, then have the doctors do what's described here and pray for you.

Another useful thread:
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=8960.0

FES diagnosis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_embolism#Diagnosis

It's written above in one of the news link that fat emboli reached brain and lungs causing death...it means surgery carries very high risk of death, if it is certain that fat emboli gets released in large amount in case of large bones. It is just a matter of chance that they don't reach to the brain, if they reach to the brain/lungs then death is certain? This is true even post surgery days and could even happen during entire length of lengthening if not during consolidation?

myloginacc

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »

It's written above in one of the news link that fat emboli reached brain and lungs causing death...it means surgery carries very high risk of death, if it is certain that fat emboli gets released in large amount in case of large bones. It is just a matter of chance that they don't reach to the brain, if they reach to the brain/lungs then death is certain? This is true even post surgery days and could even happen during entire length of lengthening if not during consolidation?

You should e-mail some of doctors listed here about that, and it'd be really nice if you shared their replies with us.

I had done a few of my own calculations on the risk of death through FES, but I'd rather not share what are estimations in a serious thread like this.

totallyred

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 07:47:23 PM »

You should e-mail some of doctors listed here about that, and it'd be really nice if you shared their replies with us.

I had done a few of my own calculations on the risk of death through FES, but I'd rather not share what are estimations in a serious thread like this.
Good suggestion... But I think people who are undergoing the surgery or planning in very near future should take this up in person with their doctor to get better advice and also to make doctors take care of this thing especially during surgery. Please post the replies here.

YungGud

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »

i know 2 more guys who died after LL ,LiL Peep and Xtentation,Rip homies,that surgery is so ruthless...
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

auxetoiles

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 11:57:46 PM »

i know 2 more guys who died after LL ,LiL Peep and Xtentation,Rip homies,that surgery is so ruthless...

This is a serious thread. It isn't funny.

MirinHeight

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 02:54:30 AM »

should be noted that most FES happens with femurs, but pulmonary embolism could could happen with anyone.

The second case with vinay is very rare. he had unilateral tibias done and i don't think he died from FES, but rather pulmonary emboli that reached his heart leading to heart attack. The doctors most likely did not prescribe blood thinners to help prevent this, and the pt probably was not very healthy/active if he had a previous LL on his other leg prior to this.

you want to be in the best shape you possibly can be when it comes to stamina, strength, body fat %.
you want to get all blood work done to make sure you are very healthy.
you want to choose a very good surgeon who has a track record of success when it comes to CLL
you want to make sure your doctor will prescribe blood thinners post LL or else dont choose him as your surgeon,.
you want to make sure you are as active as possible post LL. You want to try to keep your legs moving even when you are laying on the bed. You do not want to get blood clots in your legs due to immobility post surgery. This is called DVT and the blood clot from the legs can go to the heart or brain (pulmonary embolism)

also it should be noted that there has not been a case of someone dying from CLL in the united states. Also hundreds of thousands of LL surgeries are done every year due to LL discrepancies and deformities
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

totallyred

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 04:33:46 AM »

should be noted that most FES happens with femurs, but pulmonary embolism could could happen with anyone.

The second case with vinay is very rare. he had unilateral tibias done and i don't think he died from FES, but rather pulmonary emboli that reached his heart leading to heart attack. The doctors most likely did not prescribe blood thinners to help prevent this, and the pt probably was not very healthy/active if he had a previous LL on his other leg prior to this.

you want to be in the best shape you possibly can be when it comes to stamina, strength, body fat %.
you want to get all blood work done to make sure you are very healthy.
you want to choose a very good surgeon who has a track record of success when it comes to CLL
you want to make sure your doctor will prescribe blood thinners post LL or else dont choose him as your surgeon,.
you want to make sure you are as active as possible post LL. You want to try to keep your legs moving even when you are laying on the bed. You do not want to get blood clots in your legs due to immobility post surgery. This is called DVT and the blood clot from the legs can go to the heart or brain (pulmonary embolism)

also it should be noted that there has not been a case of someone dying from CLL in the united states. Also hundreeds of thousands of LL surgeries are done every year due to LL discrepancies and deformities

"hundreds of thousands of LL surgeries are done every year"
Seriously!?

MirinHeight

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 05:16:45 AM »

"hundreds of thousands of LL surgeries are done every year"
Seriously!?

I don't know the exact # but I believe it should be around there. Dr paley himself does almost 1000 leg lengthening a year of which 40-50 are cosmetic.

There are a lot of orthopedic surgeons specialized in deformity correction but very few do cosmetic leg lengthening
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

totallyred

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »

What could be the cure for FES, if blood thinners are for pe?

hanshi

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »

Quote from: MirinHeight link=topic=8978.msg91519#msg91519 d

also it should be noted that there has not been a case of someone dying from CLL in the united states.
[/quote
How do you know? That's just speculation on your part and very naïve.
There are currently several lawsuits from former patients against Dr. Betz going on. If you or somebody you know is a former patient of Dr. Betz who would like to initiate legal action against him please send me a personal message.
I can help with lots of information on how to go about this.

notatroll

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 11:01:17 PM »

also it should be noted that there has not been a case of someone dying from CLL in the united states. Also hundreds of thousands of LL surgeries are done every year due to LL discrepancies and deformities

[quote author=MirinHeight link=topic=8978.msg91519#msg91519 d

also it should be noted that there has not been a case of someone dying from CLL in the united states.

How do you know? That's just speculation on your part and very naïve.

I think MasterHY died in the States. He had surgery with Betz, got complications and he died after corrective surgery in the States. I would like someone who met him to confirm.

zakika

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 11:31:47 PM »

How do you know it? What does it mean "you think"?
171 cm - TSF-tibia (5cm)+Stryde femur (5-6 cm) Giotikas - aim 180-182 cm

notatroll

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:04 PM »

How do you know it? What does it mean "you think"?

There is no final proof that he died, however there is no reason to believe he is still alive either. As already mentioned i was in contact with him and there was no reason for him to stop answering me. He wanted to sue Betz and i promised to help him.
In his 4th surgery he got his 4th nail plus a bone graft for his left leg. The bone was taken from his hip. It was a big surgery because they had to fill a 10cm gap. He wrote to me :“ I am recovering from the surgery, it was pretty intense, I had a lot of pain and my leg seemed to be reacting a bit strange to the bone graft.  I also have a lot of discomfort in the hip area where the bone graft was done, and I think it will be awhile before get somewhere with all of this.”

There was much more in his email. Shortly afterwards he stopped replying to me. That was in May 2015. So i'm quite convinced he died.

Johnson1111

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 12:19:50 AM »

How would a non-union in your leg kill you, especially while being under medical care in the United States?

notatroll

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »

How would a non-union in your leg kill you, especially while being under medical care in the United States?

You start as a cosmetic patient but then you become a medical case. It can be a very slow death, taking years and several surgeries.

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »

any medical procedure has risks, please don't act as if this is a new news, we all know there are associated risks.

Johnson1111

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »

Oh well. Still getting LL

TemakiSushi

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »

I think MasterHY died in the States. He had surgery with Betz, got complications and he died after corrective surgery in the States. I would like someone who met him to confirm.
I’ve read that people assume he killed himself, suicide,
not complications from reconstructive surgery
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

notatroll

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »

I’ve read that people assume he killed himself, suicide,
not complications from reconstructive surgery

MasterHy didn't kill himself. He had complications after reconstructive surgery and stopped replying. His friends think he died.
The guy who killed himself was a Monegal patient in Spain.

Sanity

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »

This is like 1 in 1000 case and ppl die of heartattacks even at 30's due to the fast food diet in modern age. i think this has more to do with the overall diet and health of the person. Also if bloodthinners were used, i dont think this should happen.
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up