Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this the best LL method? As far as having a quick, comfortably safe recovery?  (Read 1699 times)

Prodigy610

• Visitor

We all know Dr Paley is the best doctor for this surgery and even though he's pricey, i think he has the best method ever as far as gaining height quickly and recovering very safely also with no complications. I came across this strategy he uses and i'm not sure if anyone has ever actually went through method #5 he offers in a price package that is definitely expensive but lets say it was affordable to you one day (wishful thinking) would you do LL in this fashion or do most of you think there is a better way?

"5. Combined tibia (4 cm) and femur (4 cm) lengthening three weeks apart, followed by rebreaking of femur and tibia with same PRECICE in place one month later with a second lengthening of 4 cm in each bone (up to 16 cm in height; cost $250,000 PRECICE | $260,000 STRYDE)"

To be honest it seems like if one were to do this method and it be succesful, i believe the full recovery would come swiftly and after a year or two you'd be 100% your old self, whether thats athletically or in whatever physical form you wish as far as day to day movement like walking and running full speed, exercising or weight lifting. I feel like the damage done to soft tissues and bone would be mininal compared to most/other LL methods. For example, Breaking the femur bone twice 4cm and then 4cm, thats 8cm in 2-3 months potentially. And if you only wanted 5cm in tibia instead of 8, you can break the tibia for 3cm, and then break it again a month later for 2cm. With these methods you can pick up 12-14cm at ease in my opinion. What do you guys think about this? Does anyone agree? Would breaking the bone twice really be that bad? I dont think breaking the bone twice would have any crazy effect on your legs long term as long as you make a full recovery.

Far from the best, bud.

myloginacc

The breaking is only three weeks apart (too little time, in my layman's opinion), and reaming a nail into the tibias has always been associated with knee pain, whether it was through LATN or LON and external fixator methods. I don't know whether Paley does anything differently to avoid that with Precice/Stryde, but yeah - he does tibias through pure internal fixation.

I agree he's the most experienced cosmetic LL medical doctor and surgeon, and some of his papers have been incredibly influential for both cosmetic and non-cosmetic LL (e.g. "Problems, obstacles, and complications of limb lengthening by the Ilizarov technique", among others). He's a name in the field of orthopedic surgery. Stryde is going to be the best internal nail in the market. Aside from that, it doesn't mean 100% of what he does is always correct, or always the best way to handle things.

My 2 cents as a random on the internet.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:02:26 AM by myloginacc »
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Penguinn

Do not do 16cms of LL. Just f*cking don't. And another rebreaking surgery in a month... jeez. Breaking the bone itself isn't bad (the bone doesn't care, and the bone is not why LL has safe limits) but the soft tissues and surgical trauma, I wouldn't take it.

4cms + 4cms for 3 inches will probably be an amazing recovery. Maybe 5+4 or 6+5 or whatever for more height.
8+8... just no.

Look I'm not a doctor but having done LL, I will bet all my money that nobody that does this would be 100% in 3 years, forget 1 year.

myloginacc

Lol, I hadn't even read the post in full, since I thought I knew OP was just quoting Paley's quadrilaterals' costs and I went from there.

8+8cm, by doing femurs, then tibias 3 weeks later, getting 4cm in both of them, then rebreaking them all at the same time only a month later?

Paley's getting a bit insane. Not only separating the initial femoral and tibial surgery by just 3 weeks seems to be too little of an interval (my point in my first post), but rebreaking all of the bones a month later? Even if the bones are already now fixated with an intramedullary nail, wouldn't the rebreaking of 6 (I'm assuming somewhat consolidated) bones at once still release big amounts of fat emboli?

And he's asking 260k for all of that...
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

myloginacc

Still not on Betz's level of craziness, though. Promising up to 12cm with just femoral lengthening.

Zeo

Even if the bones are already now fixated with an intramedullary nail, wouldn't the rebreaking of 6 (I'm assuming somewhat consolidated) bones at once still release big amounts of fat emboli?

My understanding that the biggest risk of fat emboli comes from the reaming of the intramedullary canal to insert the nail, not the creation of the osteotomy. So it would be ok I guess
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

Do not do 16cms of LL. Just f*cking don't. And another rebreaking surgery in a month... jeez. Breaking the bone itself isn't bad (the bone doesn't care, and the bone is not why LL has safe limits) but the soft tissues and surgical trauma, I wouldn't take it.

4cms + 4cms for 3 inches will probably be an amazing recovery. Maybe 5+4 or 6+5 or whatever for more height.
8+8... just no.

Look I'm not a doctor but having done LL, I will bet all my money that nobody that does this would be 100% in 3 years, forget 1 year.

Who told you?

taller_in_Kiev

• Put your energy to good uses. Don't waste it.

I'd say the best method and nail in the business is the current Bliskunov/Jamal nail (internal) and method in Kiev Ukraine. Very strong, fully load bearing etc.  But of course, do your own research.   

mrblack

is 7+6 still okay or also too much?

Prodigy610

• Visitor

I think you guys got it all wrong. If Paley himself states this is his best method for maximum gain and optimal safety, whats the downside with this? Maybe its breaking the bones twice instead of once? I imagine that wouldnt really affect you all that much in a negative light because the bone will still be just as strong the second time around it fills in and heals up. Getting a quick 8cm 4+4 fibs plus tibs with stryde, you will most likely heal up super fast and be walking by like the 3rd month and then rebreaking the bones lets say up to a year later, or perhaps just 6 months later for another 4+4, you're a whole 16cm taller in less than 2 years max. I honestly think this method is slept on heavy and when i do get the surgery with Paley ill prove its the best method for this. It just makes everything seem so easy and safe even though the cost is very high its worth it
Pages: [1]   Go Up