Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Giotikas - surgery done  (Read 29695 times)

hotty

Re: Giotikas - surgery done
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »

I would recommend to stop now when everything is ok. 5 cm on tibia is ok , then you can do easily 6 cm on femur and 11 cm will be a massive gain. Always keep in mind that your legs will have to work until you die, now youre young and strong but when you are in your 60s thing might look different. Pushing them too hard to see when they start struggling might bring negative effects in the future.

Isn't LL itself a bad idea because your legs have to work until you die? If were him I would have done just 6-7cm on tibia and not done an extra LL altogether.

@doomsday you did 6 segments if I recall right. Do you feel recovered? Do you regret it? It did solve your problems?

zakika

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »

Thanks, I will play safe.
171 cm - TSF-tibia (5cm)+Stryde femur (5-6 cm) Giotikas - aim 180-182 cm

zakika

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »

Thanks ketchum, what is your experience regarding activity, stretching so far? I feel like having some (not to be close to the limit tbh) reserve in my soft tissues, so will go on.

zakika

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2018, 08:07:37 AM »

Hi doomsday, thank you for your warning, I -in general - think safe, it is the reason, that i don't say anything for 100%, because it is not me, who tells the endpoint to this journey, but my body. Now I feel like pushing a bit more to be a reasonable decision (my main concern is, how my ankles will handle the additional weight, but with femur-Stryde the plus weight comes up too), plus I'm not sure yet when to have Stryde, as my quadriceps are atrophied, the flexibility has to be improved in lower limb etc. 

zakika

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »

Hotty, I keep any options alive, the one you mentioned is one of them, however 7 cm for tibia seems over a rational limit, so we'll see..

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »

Hi, can I ask what your flexibility was like pre op, could you touch your toes? And what is your flexibility like now?

Many thanks

zakika

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »

I could touch my toes, gut only after some stretching before the op, now I'm working on to avoid any ballerina, even temporarily, however after 5,5-6 cm I'll have for sure, which I have to work off with physio.

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2018, 08:13:01 PM »

Did you meet Giotikas for a consultation before surgery, Or just before the operation?

Does Giotikas think pre op flexibility and stretching make much of a difference to the outcome, or refuse to operate on people with poor flexibility?

Cheers

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »

Sorry for all the questions.

So what are the exact prices for each lengthening?

It’s taken you 10 weeks to hit 5cm, is this average? Do you feel taller?

If you were only doing 5cm, in one segment, would you do femur or Tibs?

Thankyou so much for your diary,

zakika

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »

Yes, I met Dr Giotikas, and before had Skype consultation too, as you have to have a right connection with the doctor before making this decision. You seem to be in a very early stage on your possible journey, so only an advice, all your questions will be answered by a doctor, don't ask Q's, like what would you choose, because this operation is not a joke. On this forum 1% is a medical professional (or less), even me, as a doctor can't answer you precisely, as I'm not an ortophedic surgeon.
In my opinion this forum is very useful for basic infos (methods, doctors, supplements), and for reading solid, realistic diaries. The rest, like discussing clearly BDD (Body dimorphic disorder) standpoints as reliable opinions, or other projections are completely a waste of time, even misleading, if someone is new, and fresh in this topic, plus it takes time to realize the junk "information", additionally there is zero moderation on this forum as I see. I think (maybe I'm alone with this opinion) if someone didn't go through this (maybe only because of financial burden, it doesn't matter in this instance), and is not a professional, in 90% of cases is not a reliable source of info.
Long story short, read a lot (mainly publications Pubmed, Scholar, collections about the methods, supplements etc., and diaries), and ask after the doctor, or someone who has experience (I'm happy to answer these kind of Q's) more specifically (not to ask someone to decide which of your segments to choose, when your proportions, finance etc. are not even clear). 
The prices are on the website, Athensbjr.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:07:34 AM by zakika »

zakika

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »

Finished lengthening

Guys, I officially finished lengthening, yesterday talked with Dr Giotikas, he recommended to stop now, and do a similar amount with Stryde (I'm around 5cm, a bit higher I guess, yesterday there was no X-ray). Now my left ankle is quite swollen, and sensitive, as the pulling effect of soft tissues is higher, so I have to wait couple of days, and go on with physio (I have to be careful with my ankles as well, as I had soft tissue tear in past, so I don't tend to risk a very lengthy recovery process). From now on consolidation, and stretching are the main focus, however consolidation speed will depend on my bone turnover mainy, I will eat as much, as possible.

Stryde update
He said his first Stryde patient will be in December, he also talked about, that they will use a special protocol for weight bearing calculating everything, bones length, weight etc. in relation with timing. I didn't go into details, but it sounds good.

cool

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »

Congrats zazika. When do you consider doing Stryde with Dr. Giotikas? Also did Dr. Giotikas help you get a medical visa for this procedure?

Please post any pictures of your frame and swelling if possible.

THank you
8)

Canon

« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »

How much did you pay and do you have pictures?

Thanks

zakika

« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »

Not very swollen, it fluctuates, but if i put weight on it, gets wore, so i guess it is wiser to let it rest a bit. The brown discolouration around the pins on the left is betadine (to prevent anxious questions).

zakika

« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »

Can you see the photo (for me it is defaulty)?

cool

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »

no we can't see the photo. Please upload it on imgur and paste a link here.

Thanks
8)

zakika

« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »

Argent_Lecter

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »

Hi dude, nice diary! I'm planning to do surgery with doctor Giotikas when I have the money for it. I'm saving up. (5 cm in femur and 6 in tibias). Could you upload some pictures of your results? if you don't mind, 'course.
5ft5 (1,65m) to 5ft9 (1.75-6)

zakika

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »

I uploaded my last xrays:

https://imgur.com/a/jcI8aZ9

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2018, 12:36:20 PM »

Hi dude, nice diary! I'm planning to do surgery with doctor Giotikas when I have the money for it. I'm saving up. (5 cm in femur and 6 in tibias). Could you upload some pictures of your results? if you don't mind, 'course.

Why not Pili?

Kenda

« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »

Hiii I am a girl that was planning to go to Dr. Dimitrios for Stryde can you please Tell me why hou didnt do Stryde for tibias , like why go external ?? And is the Dr a good choice for stryde in femur or i should search for someone else also How do u descrive the pain in your upper leg and why not aim for 8 cm in femurs , i mean its a compex and expensive surgery why only aim for 6 in femurs ??
Waiting for your reply

zakika

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »

As I wrote before, I would recommend him, however I will wait until main gait will be stable. I didn't choose stride, as I didn't want to let nail my tibias, and stride will be available in the next 2 months, so according to my schedule TSF was the safest method.

zakika

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »

Quick update

After finishing lengthening my first X-ray was on Wednesday, my callus became stronger, Dr Giannakos was very pleased, according to him my bone turnover is exceptional, I was quite relieved again. The alignment of the bones is good, the callus bridge is continuous, and looks quite solid.
However I still have issues with the pins, if I start to put more weight on my body they flare up, and until the inflammation disappears I have to stop again, not sure how to solve this issue. I have a feeling, that learning to walk again will be realistic after frame removal.

zakika

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2018, 06:47:19 AM »

doomsday

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »

callus looks real good. Once it thickens up is should stabilize the frame. Also keep an eye on the frame and the callus when you start walking and if you feel that the callus is compressed and decompressed when standing and sitting then you need to inform your doctor. Frames and pins sometimes get loose and moving callus might looks strong on xray but will have hard time to properly harden up. I had that issue and after 5 months the doc realised that. BTW how many cm did you get?

zakika

« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »

Thanks dooms, I'm around 5 cm according to X-ray, on Wed the doc didn't measure it, but i don't really have any intention to lengthen more on tibia, only if some corrections have to be made.

I didn't know, that compression on callus might be bad, actually I feel, that even when making hard stretching the ankles and PT exerts a pushing effects too on the legs (working off equinus) the callus area is somewhat pressed and sensitive. Do you think it shouldn't be there?

4stag12

• Visitor
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »

Thank you for the very valuable information!

LL4me

• Visitor
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »

Thanks dooms, I'm around 5 cm according to X-ray, on Wed the doc didn't measure it, but i don't really have any intention to lengthen more on tibia, only if some corrections have to be made.

Its 3 months post surgery and you only distracted 5cm!!
Is there a reason why you lengthened so slowly?

zakika

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »

I'm over 5 cm, and stopped lengthening more than 2 weeks ago. I started with 1mm/day after than switched to 0,75 mm, what do you mean?

doomsday

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2018, 06:00:39 PM »

Well the compression and decompression is based on putting body weight or not. Otherwise the frame will keep it stable. In my case it looked like a bump on the side of my tibia after I stood up and then when I sat down it disappeared.. When i placed my hand on the callus I could feel in moving when standing up. If you ever feel it you will know it. Most likely it not going to happen since it very rare. Dont get paranoid ;) 

zakika

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »

ok, i don't have any of that, but thanks for calling my attention to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up