Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rozburch or Paley 2018 - Would love to take this journey with someone  (Read 1594 times)

Messenger

Hi everyone

I’ve been on this forum lurking quite a bit, but I finally decided to make a post on here to see if anyone wanted to meet up and possibly do the surgery around the same time.   I am 5’8.5, 25 years old Canadian and everything is good in my life except my height it drives me craszzzyyy.  I come from a very tall family and I’m the short one out of all my cousins and pretty much everyone I know (including friends).  If there ever was a time to do this and take such a big surgery on, it would be right now.   I’m not telling my family or friends anything, I am saying I am going for 6 months to one of these places for work (Florida or New York are my top 2 choices right now).

I’ve had a phone conversation consult with dr Rozburch which was very informative a week ago.  I have an in person consult with Rozburch and his psychologist this month (august 13) to run tests and see if I’m a candidate. I wanted to go to Rozburch, but I heard he’s more expensive then Paley if you don’t have insurance coverage (I am from Canada so I don’t think insurance will cover me but if anyone knows of any insurance I could get to cover a bit of it that would be AWESOME). 

When I talked to Rozburch last week he said I’ll be able to use Stryde nail for my surgery which is another big reason I want to go with him.  It is between him and Paley and since I’m going alone there are a lot of other expenses to look into such as renting a house, paying a caretaker, etc that if anyone else is up for it we could get a place together and all the costs would be split making it a lot more cheaper for the both of us.  We could motivate each other.  I am planning on going November 2018 for my surgery to either Paley or Rozburch (the one thing that worries me about New York is the winter weather, while Florida in the winter will be nice, but I feel like Rozburch is more attentative to his patients while once Paley is done with you it’s on to the next and he rushes you, but this is all from what I read on diaries etc and I haven’t personally met either of them).

Would love to do something like this with another LLr as I feel like that’s a circumstance and a surgery that a very few minority of the population understand. 

Would love to FaceTime etc and talk to you more in depth if you’d like to join.
Any comments or feedback on this plan would be appreciated or anything about me I wouldn’t mind answering :)

catcat

• Visitor

how much does it cost at Dr. Rozburch if there is no insurance coverage?

Messenger

Theres different stories.  Some people who have gone say the hospital bill alone is 88k and another person has said 60k + his surgeon fees which is $40k so if you don’t get insurance to cover his hospital bill then you’re paying just as much if not more then paley.  Plus take in the cost of staying in New York for Atleast the first couple weeks from surgery which is crazy expensive. 

I’m pretty sure I’m going to Paley in late October/ early November 2018.
I’m actually going to a consult with him this month so if anyone has any questions they’d like me to ask, just drop it in here.

Purushrottam

Hey Messenger! First of all, good luck on your journey! Both Paley and Rozbruch are good doctors.

Hi everyone

If there ever was a time to do this and take such a big surgery on, it would be right now.   I’m not telling my family or friends anything, I am saying I am going for 6 months to one of these places for work (Florida or New York are my top 2 choices right now).

I don't know about Rozbruch, but Paley will HIGHLY recommend that you have some family with you (I'm sure he will still operate on you, but he will highly discourage it). This will take a huge psychological toll on you and it will help to have some companion. You can theoretically hire a caretaker for the first 2-3 weeks and then be independent after (especially with STRYDE). However, it helps to have someone assisting you with Physical Therapy. That being said, when I was there, there was a patient who was staying alone (it took him longer to do everything and he had REALLY strong willpower). However his wife and kids knew about the procedure and visited him periodically. If you check ProgramDude's diary, I think he was staying alone during most of the time. He isn't on the forums much right now, but it might be worth messaging him.

lot of other expenses to look into such as renting a house,

While renting a house will be a lot more comfortable, keep in mind that some of the hotels near Paley Institute have regular shuttles to Paley Institute. Also look out for things like handicap accessible pools.

This will save you loads of money. The hotels also have other patients staying there (good for company. We had a few barbeques, get togethers at the pool, lounge etc.). It will be far less isolating if you stay at one of the hotels. Trust me, there will always be a cycle of patients going through LL. You will always have company. Their schedule is packed with LL patients. Over the course of lengthening, we bonded a lot. We are still in touch now.

while once Paley is done with you it’s on to the next and he rushes you, but this is all from what I read on diaries etc and I haven’t personally met either of them).

Thats not the impression I had. After my lengthening was done, he answered my emails (with X rays) quite promptly. Unless he's traveling, he typically replies at 7-11 PM EST that day. However during the biweekly X Ray checkins (while lengthening), he does tend to be late for the appointments (because of a super busy schedule) and will make the appointment quick (unless there is something serious about your X-Ray). On the other hand, the wait time with Robbins is usually lower. Both are very knowledgeable and will spend time answering your questions.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Messenger

Thanks Purushrottam ! You’ve been a great resource.  I’ll definitely try and contact ProgramDude.  Yeah I’ve decided to stay at one of paleys hotels or at the quantum house which is located at the st Mary hospital grounds.  I’m sure there will be a lot of other patients there, but I’m going to hire a caretaker the first couple weeks.  I’ll let you guys know how my consultation goes.

FourNine

• Visitor
Re: Rozburch or Paley 2018 - Would love to take this journey with someone
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 12:31:13 AM »

Hello,
 If you have not moved forward with your surgery but are still planning to do so & would like to  partner up with another person I would be grateful to speak with you because I am looking for the same. Thank you

BeYourBest

I would also like to partner up for morale support but probably will not commence my journey until 2020.
Pages: [1]   Go Up