Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonus Biogroup and its research  (Read 589 times)

myloginacc

Bonus Biogroup and its research
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:35:19 PM »

I think we need to keep an eye out for this company's researchers and its research.

Dr. Nimrod Rozen, head of the orthopedic ward of Haemek Hospital, has hypothesized, in the past, that:

"[...] Prof. Rosen believes that in the future this operation will be possible even for short stature patients [...]"

Meanwhile, Bonus Biogroup's CEO, Dr. Shai Meretzki, has once claimed that:

"[...] Meretzki estimates that the procedure, if and when it is adopted by hospitals, will cost less than the current bone regrowth treatment, which can cost up to $90,000. [...]"

Sources and more information down below:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-biotech-company-successfully-grows-bones-in-lab/
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-successful-bone-implant-boosts-bonus-biogroup-1001216426
https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3733853,00.html
https://www.israel21c.org/in-world-first-israeli-man-gets-lab-grown-bone-tissue-injected-in-arm/

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I think it's important to keep an eye out for emerging science. Obviously, the focus of the research and possible treatment options is going to be catered towards trauma, and there's also many, many years to go before anything takes shape. 
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

TemakiSushi

Re: Bonus Biogroup and its research
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »

Even with this technology Still need to cut bones
Thus need IM nails or external frames
Soft tissue Must be extended slowly
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

myloginacc

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:23:03 AM »

Even with this technology Still need to cut bones
Thus need IM nails or external frames
Soft tissue Must be extended slowly

I'm not so sure about that. I haven't been able to find actual papers detailing the science of their approach. The full quote I posted up there is:

"The surgery is suitable for the elderly with osteoporosis and also for cancer patients undergoing bone marrow removal, and Prof. Rosen believes that in the future this operation will be possible even for short stature patients, to transplant their bones and raise them by tens of centimeters. "In every operation I can add 10 centimeters, sometimes it can change the self-image of a lot of people."

According to Dr. Rozen, it sounds like the more distant future would be very different than what we have now.

However, I also don't see how soft tissues won't be a problem. Still, it is not my area of expertise.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Ascending

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »

However, I also don't see how soft tissues won't be a problem. Still, it is not my area of expertise.
I agree this does sound not sound at all plausible.  Yes you may be able to break the bone and fill the middle creating new bone in a very short time but in terms of soft tissue we need the following to stretch and there is no way can you do that in one go for 10cm:
  • nerves
  • skin
  • tendons
  • vascular system components - arteries, veins and other blood vessels

Sorry guys but I don't believe there would be any quick fix other than growing/printing an entire leg and transplanting it.  That's a very very long way away.

TinyTL

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »

this thread reminds me of the endless Hairloss research threads on their forum.
Every year there is a new "revolutionary medicine". People get excited, continous news briefs of upcoming release .. only to fade away into obscurity.

Snke oil, all of them.

myloginacc

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »

I agree this does sound not sound at all plausible.  Yes you may be able to break the bone and fill the middle creating new bone in a very short time but in terms of soft tissue we need the following to stretch and there is no way can you do that in one go for 10cm:
  • nerves
  • skin
  • tendons
  • vascular system components - arteries, veins and other blood vessels

Sorry guys but I don't believe there would be any quick fix other than growing/printing an entire leg and transplanting it.  That's a very very long way away.

I wonder if with these rising approaches to osteogenesis (mostly through mesenchymal stem-cell therapy, rather than the body's own osteogenetic process), new approaches could be tried?

Do you think soft tissues would have problems handling a one-day, localized, stem-cell-therapy derived 1cm bone growth? That's the equivalent of 10 days of distraction, at 1mm a day, with current LL technology.

If we could rapidly induce 1cm of bone growth via MSC therapy, without any noticeable soft tissue damage or extended period of recovery, couldn't we try an intermittent approach to LL? Say, grow 1cm every 3 months. That'd be 4cm per year.

Of course, this post is probably laughable to anyone with an understanding of human biology and medical science, but I'm just attempting discussion at LL at the correct subsection of the forums.

Edit: Fixed a bit of the wording.
Pages: [1]   Go Up