Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: another small question for LL veterans and general people  (Read 553 times)

Trevor.P

another small question for LL veterans and general people
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »

Well, I wanted to leave a little question here.
After LL you lose range in the joint?
After two months after stopping to lengthen the internal femur, can you walk without complications? (5cm LL)
Stand for long periods of time?
Dance and make normal life socially speaking?

I hope this explaining well but I'm interested in what happens with the soft tissue of the leg in short and all these issues.

The elongation would be between 5 and 6cm.
Thank you!

heightconsultant

Re: another small question for LL veterans and general people
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »

Your success in regaining your ability to move after LL mainly depends on how much effort you put to improve your elongated and deformed muscles.

If you see intensive physiotherapy treatment and do exercises on your own too, there is no reason you lose range of movement in your joints. It is really painful at times (for example, when trying to extend your knees fully), but you will see improvement in range of motion as much as you force it.

5 cm is a good amount to lengthen with minimal possible issues. Your muscles will not be subject to too much tension and you will return to your normal life faster.

What basically happens in your leg while doing LL: You lengthen the bone, and in theory you can do it endlessly. But the surrounding muscles, nerves, blood vessels will limit it, they cannot be cut and lengthened the way you do it with bones. In reasonable amounts of lengthening, the deformation to soft tissues is minimal and muscles can be trained to their new length. 5-6 cm is less trouble for soft tissues than 7-8 cm. More than 7-8 is possible only in some patients, who initially have more soft tissue flexibility. 8+ cm can be dangerous as you might have permanent problems.

Have a good day and hope you get your dream height!

Ascending

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

I think it is unreasonable to expect to achieve that level of recovery after only two months.  Really you should be thinking about recovery time after consolidation and not just after completing lengthening.  The time it takes will depend on what technique you use and which surgeon.  I would recommend internal nails for Femurs - preferably Stryde or Precice.  Stryde is preferred because it is weight bearing - which means you can start walking within a few weeks after surgery or earlier.  This will help greatly because it will help you maintain a good range of motion, stimulate bone growth and prevent muscle wastage.  If you pick a good surgeon that has an integrated physiotherapy program then your recovery will be faster.  Dr Paley for example would be perfect.  5-6cm is a very realistic goal and you should be able to achieve that without complications.  Good luck!

Trevor.P

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »

Your success in regaining your ability to move after LL mainly depends on how much effort you put to improve your elongated and deformed muscles.

If you see intensive physiotherapy treatment and do exercises on your own too, there is no reason you lose range of movement in your joints. It is really painful at times (for example, when trying to extend your knees fully), but you will see improvement in range of motion as much as you force it.

5 cm is a good amount to lengthen with minimal possible issues. Your muscles will not be subject to too much tension and you will return to your normal life faster.

What basically happens in your leg while doing LL: You lengthen the bone, and in theory you can do it endlessly. But the surrounding muscles, nerves, blood vessels will limit it, they cannot be cut and lengthened the way you do it with bones. In reasonable amounts of lengthening, the deformation to soft tissues is minimal and muscles can be trained to their new length. 5-6 cm is less trouble for soft tissues than 7-8 cm. More than 7-8 is possible only in some patients, who initially have more soft tissue flexibility. 8+ cm can be dangerous as you might have permanent problems.

Have a good day and hope you get your dream height!

that's really what worries me most, the soft tissues and how the muscles are after the process.

I do not know if they stay forever stretched or if on the contrary it is something that happens at the beginning, but then the fabric adapts and returns to remain as before LL

Trevor.P

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:39 PM »

I think it is unreasonable to expect to achieve that level of recovery after only two months.  Really you should be thinking about recovery time after consolidation and not just after completing lengthening.  The time it takes will depend on what technique you use and which surgeon.  I would recommend internal nails for Femurs - preferably Stryde or Precice.  Stryde is preferred because it is weight bearing - which means you can start walking within a few weeks after surgery or earlier.  This will help greatly because it will help you maintain a good range of motion, stimulate bone growth and prevent muscle wastage.  If you pick a good surgeon that has an integrated physiotherapy program then your recovery will be faster.  Dr Paley for example would be perfect.  5-6cm is a very realistic goal and you should be able to achieve that without complications.  Good luck!

For you to understand me I mean two months of bone healing, not two months since the surgery. Walking without looking like a penguin or that kind of thing.

I would do it with Dr. Paley or one that allows me a nail that can walk in the process.

Trevor.P

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »

I want to apologize if you do not understand me well, English is not my main language and I speak little.

stoke

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 02:25:01 AM »

When you say the safest limit is is 5 and dangerous limit 8cm do you refer in only one segment? Because if you do for example 3.5 on tibias and 4.5 on femurs you do a total of 8 cm but that 8 cm(3.5cm Tibias and 4.5cm Femus)is dangerous too?

heightconsultant

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:41:13 PM »

that's really what worries me most, the soft tissues and how the muscles are after the process.

I do not know if they stay forever stretched or if on the contrary it is something that happens at the beginning, but then the fabric adapts and returns to remain as before LL

Your muscles cannot adjust to the new length of the bones without any assistance. That is why physio is an important step in LL.

It is like visiting gym for bodybuilding. Of course muscles can change in size, shape and strength, but only with proper training  ;) The same goes for leg muscles
Pages: [1]   Go Up