Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Were you scared  (Read 1498 times)

mdnano

• Visitor
Were you scared
« on: December 17, 2018, 06:14:08 AM »

So to everyone who did this surgery..were you scared? Is there anything to be scared of?

Sweden

Re: Were you scared
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:44:46 PM »

I didn’t think I was scared. My heart rate was below normal.
But afterwards I couldn’t sleep for three days and ended up in the ER.
Not really sure what happened there but it was like I couldn’t relax and fall asleep. Like my body was in shock.

In the beginning I had really hard time to sleep.

But it wasn’t so scary I couldn’t do it again. I think I will do it again actually. :)
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

takura

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:25:49 PM »

I didn’t think I was scared. My heart rate was below normal.
But afterwards I couldn’t sleep for three days and ended up in the ER.
Not really sure what happened there but it was like I couldn’t relax and fall asleep. Like my body was in shock.

In the beginning I had really hard time to sleep.

But it wasn’t so scary I couldn’t do it again. I think I will do it again actually. :)

Femur 5cm?

Astronomy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »

A good doctor can take my fear away ;D

notatroll

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »

ADvice, Trust your guts. I had a bad impression abt my doctor. I convinced myself I was wrong. It was a mistake.

InFullStryde

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »

It's pretty natural to be scared of this kind of surgery; however with the current United States based doctors you truly are in great hands.   It's always interesting to know what the patients that have actually experienced CLL have felt prior to surgery...   We'll stand by to hear more.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

mdnano

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 12:22:40 AM »

american doctors charge wayy too much. There are better options like Dr. Giotikas and Dr. Solomin.. Dr Sarin..there are a lot of good doctors overseas.

TRS

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:27:56 AM »

Yes I was very scared and excited at the same time. I wasn't really scared of the pain, or going to South Africa being Dr.Birkholtz's first bilateral PRECICE 2 CLL patient since I knew that I was in good hands with an honest doctor. However it was the thoughts of device failure, non-union, deep infections, compartment syndrome and countless other serious complications relating to surgery were all in my mind, with the additional finances that would be needed to cover these complications. Along with knowing that patients under the most experienced doctors can encounter such complications. And trust me when I say this, the flight to SA when I left my country was one of the most traumatic flight that left me feeling numb for the entire flight, thinking whether I'd come back home with my leg(s) or even make it back home alive. This is my honest experience.

cool

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:46:28 AM »

Yes I was very scared and excited at the same time. I wasn't really scared of the pain, or going to South Africa being Dr.Birkholtz's first bilateral PRECICE 2 CLL patient since I knew that I was in good hands with an honest doctor. However it was the thoughts of device failure, non-union, deep infections, compartment syndrome and countless other serious complications relating to surgery were all in my mind, with the additional finances that would be needed to cover these complications. Along with knowing that patients under the most experienced doctors can encounter such complications. And trust me when I say this, the flight to SA when I left my country was one of the most traumatic flight that left me feeling numb for the entire flight, thinking whether I'd come back home with my leg(s) or even make it back home alive. This is my honest experience.

Yeah LL is scary. I wish LL were administered with a course of anti anxiety medications or something from a month before  ;D Would make life easier.

Have you recovered fully since your operation?
8)

mdnano

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »

Im terrified just thinking about it. But I think its worth it. I hate being short so much.

Christopherbulder

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 10:12:36 AM »

or having lived it is much more terrifying to live with a mediocre size a lifetime than 6 months to walk not very well

mdnano

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »

I just hope that doing this surgery changes my life.

cool

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »

or having lived it is much more terrifying to live with a mediocre size a lifetime than 6 months to walk not very well

Aren't you that body builder who went to Guichet? Nice to see you again :)

And your English has certainly improved  :)
8)

mdnano

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »

I personally love european languages. I love french, spanish, italian,.

Christopherbulder

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »

Aren't you that body builder who went to Guichet? Nice to see you again :)

And your English has certainly improved  :)

YES guichet 2003 /femur 7 CM

TRS

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 01:46:11 AM »

Yeah LL is scary. I wish LL were administered with a course of anti anxiety medications or something from a month before  ;D Would make life easier.

Have you recovered fully since your operation?
You can try and get some antidepressants/anxiety pills, provided you inform and ask your LL surgeon whether it would interfere with the callous formation. Since there are many classes of antidepressants, they maybe able to tell which one would be the best? Many doctors are hesitant with prescribing these pills (especially the anti-anxiety ones) due to the risk of addiction though. Dr.Birkhotlz was also quite hesitant on prescribing sleeping medication too.
I have recovered fully since my operation. No pain but I do feel that my legs have less strength and endurance compared to my pre-op state. Plus my knees becoming lower does feel "odd" at times when walking or jogging.

cool

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 04:46:50 AM »

You can try and get some antidepressants/anxiety pills, provided you inform and ask your LL surgeon whether it would interfere with the callous formation. Since there are many classes of antidepressants, they maybe able to tell which one would be the best? Many doctors are hesitant with prescribing these pills (especially the anti-anxiety ones) due to the risk of addiction though. Dr.Birkhotlz was also quite hesitant on prescribing sleeping medication too.
I have recovered fully since my operation. No pain but I do feel that my legs have less strength and endurance compared to my pre-op state. Plus my knees becoming lower does feel "odd" at times when walking or jogging.

The thing is, doctors who prescribe anxiety medicines will not agree with your decision to get LL. They may coerce you into a treatment to solve your height dissatisfaction without surgery. I am skeptical of that working.

And how has your endurance reduced? Can't you walk long distances anymore? How far can you walk the most?

For strength, what is stopping you from increasing the weights you exercise with in the gym? Squats might be hard but there are several other machines that your misproportions won't affect you.

Running I can imagine. I figure I'll have to  let it go after doing this operation  :(
8)

ub40

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »

After every surgery I was more scared. wasnt even scared for the first one, but my confidence kept dropping. I'm terrified for my fourth
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

TRS

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:55 AM »

The thing is, doctors who prescribe anxiety medicines will not agree with your decision to get LL. They may coerce you into a treatment to solve your height dissatisfaction without surgery. I am skeptical of that working.

And how has your endurance reduced? Can't you walk long distances anymore? How far can you walk the most?

For strength, what is stopping you from increasing the weights you exercise with in the gym? Squats might be hard but there are several other machines that your misproportions won't affect you.

Running I can imagine. I figure I'll have to  let it go after doing this operation  :(
Perhaps if you could contact your LL surgeon about the safety of the medication your doctor/psychiatrist is willing to prescribe, without letting them know about your prospective LL, that might work? Main thing would be the approval of the LL surgeon, if the LL surgeon would prescribe such medication then it would be more ideal.
Walking has not been affected and I can walk the same distance as before, it's just my jogging/running that has been affected. Machine workouts post- op are fine, and you're correct about squats or anything relating to lifting free weights for lower body, such as lunges and deadlifts, the change in proportion does make it feel weird performing these exercises, especially with balance and stability. Regardless, machine or free weights, I just can't build leg mass as much as I did before.

cool

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 03:25:28 AM »

Perhaps if you could contact your LL surgeon about the safety of the medication your doctor/psychiatrist is willing to prescribe, without letting them know about your prospective LL, that might work? Main thing would be the approval of the LL surgeon, if the LL surgeon would prescribe such medication then it would be more ideal.
Walking has not been affected and I can walk the same distance as before, it's just my jogging/running that has been affected. Machine workouts post- op are fine, and you're correct about squats or anything relating to lifting free weights for lower body, such as lunges and deadlifts, the change in proportion does make it feel weird performing these exercises, especially with balance and stability. Regardless, machine or free weights, I just can't build leg mass as much as I did before.

Good point. It's probably worth asking your LL doctor for anxiety medications. I am not sure if only psychiatrists can legally prescribe these, but worth asking I guess.

It's a real grey area though. You don't want to feel super high while lengthening and ignore all the red flags like nerve damage or too much pain and go all the way to 8cm when the real you would have stopped and asked the doctor.

About your condition, it doesn't sound too bad. I would be very happy to make the same trade-off as you for 2-3 inches. I just want to be able to walk a lot because I want to continue travelling.
8)

Rtarek

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »

Hello,
I'm a 27 year old female looking for leg lengthening surgery (for 1 leg femur) as I have LLD leg length discrepancy 3cm difference between the two legs which cause me a severe back and leg pain. I am really confused and i want to do it the next couple of month so please help me these questions .

1.for internals DO you operate with nails in germany , which one is highly recommended in germany  ?

2.who is the best doctor in Germany for this operation?

TemakiSushi

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »

After every surgery I was more scared. wasnt even scared for the first one, but my confidence kept dropping. I'm terrified for my fourth
What happened?
Did you do the first surgery in Serbia?
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable
Pages: [1]   Go Up