Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the major differences between high priced LL doctors and low priced?  (Read 467 times)

jakejake98

I'm considering doing surgery with Dr Paley when I'm over 20, I'm still 17 at the moment, turning 18 this year. I haven't really grown at all since the age of 15 and I'm around 5'7 with a wingspan of around 5'8-5'9 and wanting to gain to a minimum height of 5'11 and preferably 6' with two surgeries.

But, let's say for instance; if you had enough for two surgeries with Dr Paley, would you 100% go for him?
Or would you consider any other doctor(s) to save money and with the mindset that another doctor could provide you the same outcome?

Do outcomes with Dr Paley compared to other specialized doctors really differ that much?
I know how Dr Paley does have the best reputation which mirrors the cost of his surgery, but is it actually worth paying every cent when another doctor could potentially provide the same outcome? I mean it's hard to compare because I don't think any person has ever had 2 LL surgeries with different doctors (that I know of) but it's evident in different ways.

I'm just very curious because since day one, I've stuck to the idea of having the surgery done with Dr Paley if I didn't grow to a comfortable height. However, as I grow older, I truly realize how much this surgery actually is when there's doctors out there that do it for less (I would never go for a very low-priced doctor because I do feel like price can reflect outcome speaking based on quality, because normally a high-quality procedure that is life changing in all aspects, wouldn't cost you less than 10k. But to what extent is it true that Dr Paley's price is right to the outcome he can provide?)

I don't know, because since my idea of having Dr Paley as the only to-go-to, is that I wouldn't do the surgery unless I could afford him, but what if I could never afford him?
Is it worth giving another specialized doctor a shot or is Dr Paley actually the doctor that will, without doubt, provide the "best outcome" after surgery? - Based on scars, functionality, recovery, and basically just performing the surgery to the most safe and efficient way possible.

But I feel like this hypothesis is mostly manifested within the LL community, because I don't think that when for e.g. someone wants to have nose surgery: The individual considering/wanting the surgery wouldn't go searching for the most expensive doctor and most 'reputable' one (I do know expense can reflect quality, but this isn't always true). But yes, considering the doctor within LL should be done to a further degree than most cosmetic surgery and that's because LL is significantly more complex and more 'risky'. But you understand what I'm trying to say, basically, "A nose surgery is a nose surgery, any specialized doctor that knows what he/she is doing will give you the best outcome possible".

But what is there to say that Dr Paley can achieve LL the best, and is he really the most effective doctor in LL?
I know he's considered the most experienced and reputable, but what doctor(s) would you consider close to him? (If not), better? - If there is one, but I was always told Dr Paley was/is the best.
Sorry for the long post.

jievince3

I think Dr.Giotikas is as good as Dr.Paley and G is much cheaper. G has a good reputation and his curriculum vitae is perfect.

jakejake98

I think Dr.Giotikas is as good as Dr.Paley and G is much cheaper. G has a good reputation and his curriculum vitae is perfect.
So if you had the finance for both of them, would you pick him over Dr Paley and save the extra money?

Purushrottam

I'm considering doing surgery with Dr Paley when I'm over 20, I'm still 17 at the moment, turning 18 this year. I haven't really grown at all since the age of 15 and I'm around 5'7 with a wingspan of around 5'8-5'9 and wanting to gain to a minimum height of 5'11 and preferably 6' with two surgeries.

Thats some long term planning you got there. While I don't want to encourage you to do this surgery without considering all the ramifications, you definitely need to have long term planning skills.

But, let's say for instance; if you had enough for two surgeries with Dr Paley, would you 100% go for him?
Or would you consider any other doctor(s) to save money and with the mindset that another doctor could provide you the same outcome?

Theres many things in life where its adviseable to be frugal. Life altering surgery is NOT one of them (in my personal opinion). This is something you will be living with for 50-60+ years. You want to go with the most experienced surgeon possible. You want to minimize all risk. At least thats my mindset.

Now, I actually do have enough money to finance another LL surgery with Dr. Paley. However I'm not going to do it. I had the option to lenghthen 1.5 cm more to 5'9.5" but I was satisfied at 5'9". I'm successful enough where that height doesn't hold me back.

Even though Precice has made this surgery less painful, its still a MAJOR alteration in your life. Its still the hardest thing you will ever do. Its not worth it for me to do it twice. If I had the chance, I'd definitely do it again. Just not twice.

Do outcomes with Dr Paley compared to other specialized doctors really differ that much?
I know how Dr Paley does have the best reputation which mirrors the cost of his surgery, but is it actually worth paying every cent when another doctor could potentially provide the same outcome? I mean it's hard to compare because I don't think any person has ever had 2 LL surgeries with different doctors (that I know of) but it's evident in different ways.

I don't know the answer to that. You will have to talk to former patients. I'm sure other doctors are pretty good. I personally had enough money where I didn't bother with that risk.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

jievince3

Yes, I will choose Dr.G if I have enough money to afford both.

lalo510

• Visitor

How can you say that Giotikas is as good as Dr Paley? Where do you have your evidence from? Given the number of performed surgeries I'd say this is mathematically close to impossible.

This surgery is probably the most complex surgery out there and may make (if gone right) or break (if gone wrong) your life - so it is not something you should try to save money on, your life depends on this. We have seen situations where height hungry guys thought they can do cheap externals with low cost surgeons on femurs and got their lives ruined. Even if you go to best surgeon there is no guarantee of a smooth outcome and you should always keep $80k on reserves to handle any complication. Remember you are venturing into unknown, this is not a teenager's fantasy that you save up $15k go to India or Russia and become taller just like that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:09:10 AM by 7231 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up