Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar  (Read 420816 times)

GeTs

Re: No More Mal-Kahn-Tent - External Tibias - Dr Parihar
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2014, 06:55:02 AM »

Stop at 6

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2014, 07:17:27 AM »

Gonna go for 7 cm in the final week and stop at 13 cm.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »

What do you mean you are stopping at 13cm lol :o

Im assuming you meant you are stopping at 7cm... Anyway do you plan on going back home with the frames on or are you staying there until its off? How long is your visa valid for and do you know long it can be extended to? What does +5.5cm feel like, do you notice anything, do you feel taller or do you think 5cms on tibia as a first operation is not yet sufficient? Any pictures on your tibs would be a huge plus if you dont mind showing them. Thanks

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »

What do you mean you are stopping at 13cm lol :o

Im assuming you meant you are stopping at 7cm... Anyway do you plan on going back home with the frames on or are you staying there until its off? How long is your visa valid for and do you know long it can be extended to? What does +5.5cm feel like, do you notice anything, do you feel taller or do you think 5cms on tibia as a first operation is not yet sufficient? Any pictures on your tibs would be a huge plus if you dont mind showing them. Thanks

Haha, it was just a joke. I don't plan to go higher than 6 cm and I might stop just short of that. I'll be returning home in frames as I'll probably have to wear them for 9 months or so.

Medical visas are normally issued for six months. You can request an extension by going to the immigration bureau with your blood tests and a medical report from your surgeon. My visa was extended by four months because I couldn't come to India until 5 months after my visa's issue date due to things I had to take care of at my office.

I think 5 cm makes a big difference already. It doesn't sound like it just by the number, but a 5 cm height difference between two people makes a big difference, especially at shorter starting heights. At this point I feel a little stiffer but I think that's because the last 7 days I increased my lengthening speed to 1 mm per day from .75 mm per day. After doing a lot of ankle movement exercises the stiffness went away. But the faster I lengthen, the more uncomfortable it feels afterward. I'm going back to .75 mm per day until the end now.

Here's a side view pic of what my left tibia looks like now. Right looks the same.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »

Ahh okay, Im assuming you mean the immigration bureau in India while you are still there lengthening/consolidating? I might stay there until the frames are removed if I go to India then  :o
How many months have you been there in total now?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »

Ahh okay, Im assuming you mean the immigration bureau in India while you are still there lengthening/consolidating? I might stay there until the frames are removed if I go to India then  :o
How many months have you been there in total now?

Yep. Been here since June 10th and had my surgery on June 25th.

Moubgf

« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

Do you think the temperature in the room has to do anything with your process

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »

Do you think the temperature in the room has to do anything with your process

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Moubgf

« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »

relatedd to pain if its colder the more it hurts if it warmer the more soft the muscle tissue is and it dosnt hurt as muc,

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

Oh. Yes, I notice that my muscles feel a bit sore if I leave the air conditioner on for a long time. They feel fine again after turning it off for a short while.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »

Would you happen to know Dr Parihar's Precice 2 price including hospital and doctor fees?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »

Would you happen to know Dr Parihar's Precice 2 price including hospital and doctor fees?

It's 900,000 INR (about $15,000 USD) on top of the cost for the nails, which is $30,000. That will cover your hospital stay along with food, meds, pin site dressings, and twice daily physiotherapy while there. You need to arrange your own accommodation at a hotel and x-rays, medication, and gauze strips for your pin sites are all extra cost once you're discharged from the hospital.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »

Does he have a limit on femurs or will he allow the full 8cm for Precice 2 femurs?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »

Does he have a limit on femurs or will he allow the full 8cm for Precice 2 femurs?

I don't think his 6 cm limit applies to femurs.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »

Update: 9/11/2014
Today all my good luck ran out and I have entered the limb lengthening realm of post-op complications. I had the brilliant idea of increasing my lengthening speed from .75 mm to 1 mm per day for seven days and it completely bit me in the ass. I woke up for the second day in a row with stiff ankles. Did ankle movement exercises for about 20 minutes until the stiffness went away. Thought I'd try standing a while and as soon as I made a move to stand up I had a sharp pain underneath my right knee. I spent a few minutes massaging it and pulled myself up onto the walker, ready to begin my standing. But it wasn't happening. I found that I could no longer touch the floor with the heels of my feet. Only my toes made contact with the floor, and as I tried to press my heels to the ground I was greeted with sharp pain below my knees again. I had gotten equinus out of nowhere. When I got my x-rays taken I found that despite me lying with my legs straight as much as I could tolerate each day, only my most distal ring made contact with the table and the middle and proximal rings remained elevated no matter how much I pressed my knees down. Knee flexion contracture decided to greet me with its ugly presence. It was like a nightmare.

Dr Parihar was held up at another hospital and so I only saw Dr Divya during my appointment. He checked my flexibility with his assistant and forced my legs to extend, while also checking how much he could bend my feet toward the rings. It was decided that I stop lengthening for the next three days and focus entirely on physiotherapy. I now have a physiotherapist coming to the hotel each day for sessions until this gets fixed. My x-rays showed that I hit exactly 5 cm after turning 5.6 cm. Divya told me that with the way things are he thinks I can get another half centimeter, and optimistically i can probably push to 6 cm provided the physiotherapy goes well. I was given a shot on my thigh to relieve pain and had a physio session downstairs with Pratiksha. She brought in a device that was attached with sticky pads on my quads. It gave me muscle stimulus through electric currents for 30 minutes before I had to do leg extensions and fight the equinus. The whole session hurt worse than usual and I had to do it in a room with a lower bed because I could no longer bring myself up onto the higher one I always did my sessions on due to the equinus. 

Pretty awful day all in all.

« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »

Update: 9/11/2014
Today all my good luck ran out and I have entered the limb lengthening realm of post-op complications. I had the brilliant idea of increasing my lengthening speed from .75 mm to 1 mm per day for seven days and it completely bit me in the ass. I woke up for the second day in a row with stiff ankles. Did ankle movement exercises for about 20 minutes until the stiffness went away. Thought I'd try standing a while and as soon as I made a move to stand up I had a sharp pain underneath my right knee. I spent a few minutes massaging it and pulled myself up onto the walker, ready to begin my standing. But it wasn't happening. I found that I could no longer touch the floor with the heels of my feet. Only my toes made contact with the floor, and as I tried to press my heels to the ground I was greeted with sharp pain below my knees again. I had gotten equinus out of nowhere. When I got my x-rays taken I found that despite me lying with my legs straight as much as I could tolerate each day, only my most distal ring made contact with the table and the middle and proximal rings remained elevated no matter how much I pressed my knees down. Knee flexion contracture decided to greet me with its ugly presence. It was like a nightmare.

Dr Parihar was held up at another hospital and so I only saw Dr Divya during my appointment. He checked my flexibility with his assistant and forced my legs to extend, while also checking how much he could bend my feet toward the rings. It was decided that I stop lengthening for the next three days and focus entirely on physiotherapy. I now have a physiotherapist coming to the hotel each day for sessions until this gets fixed. My x-rays showed that I hit exactly 5 cm after turning 5.6 cm. Divya told me that with the way things are he thinks I can get another half centimeter, and optimistically i can probably push to 6 cm provided the physiotherapy goes well. I was given a shot on my thigh to relieve pain and had a physio session downstairs with Pratiksha. She brought in a device that was attached with sticky pads on my quads. It gave me muscle stimulus through electric currents for 30 minutes before I had to do leg extensions and fight the equinus. The whole session hurt worse than usual and I had to do it in a room with a lower bed because I could no longer bring myself up onto the higher one I always did my sessions on due to the equinus. 

Pretty awful day all in all.

I had the same problem. Just force your heel down as much as you can, it will hurt like hell but that's the way it is. In 2 weeks you should be fine again. Do 5-10 min physio every few hours, worked out best for me.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »

Wow sorry to hear, that is bad news but Im sure you'll get through it. So up until 5cm and while you were still on .75mm per day everything was smooth sailing?
With the extra physio you are doing atm, are you paying extra money for it or is it inclusive in the price?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »

I had the same problem. Just force your heel down as much as you can, it will hurt like hell but that's the way it is. In 2 weeks you should be fine again. Do 5-10 min physio every few hours, worked out best for me.

The shot I received at the hospital made it so I didn't have pain below the knees while standing with the walker so I tried your suggestion and managed to get my heels to the floor and keep them there for a few minutes. I sometimes find myself bending forward a bit which lessens the stress on the heels and have to straighten my body out again to get the full weight on them. I like the stretch this gives and because I was actually able to get both feet planted on the ground and keep them there while concentrating I'm going to keep on doing this exercise. It relieved a lot of anxiety just now and made me more confident that I can beat this through stretching alone. Thanks a bunch, 123.  :)

Wow sorry to hear, that is bad news but Im sure you'll get through it. So up until 5cm and while you were still on .75mm per day everything was smooth sailing?
With the extra physio you are doing atm, are you paying extra money for it or is it inclusive in the price?

Yep, outside of the lingering and random pains that come from lengthening, I haven't had any complications before this point. I probably wouldn't have had them now if I had stuck with .75 mm per day though. Lengthening faster really does increase the speed at which complications will arrive.

The physiotherapy will be extra because he's going to be coming to my hotel. I'll have to pay him directly and I don't think Dr Parihar gets any of that money. I'm able to arrange with the physiotherapist when I'll pay him though (i.e. once after each session or a lump sum at the end of it all).

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »

What you described is common and normal, and nothing you can't stretch your way out of pretty quickly.  Do you have sandbags or other heavy things you could put on your knees?  Those helped me out a lot as a form of passive physical therapy that I could do just while lying in bed.

Leo

• Visitor
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »

just a question, how old are you and what's the average age at the hospital?
Thanks & good luck!
Evening: 165cm
Morning: 166,5cm
Goal: 172-175cm

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2014, 05:40:25 AM »

A few more questions Kilo
1/ Can you ask about the Precice 2 nail when you next see Dr Parihar again. In the case of malfunction where the patient is not at fault like the recent one in South Africa, what does Dr Parihar do in those situations in terms of help for the patient? Will the replacement be extra charge or just an extra charge for the hospital fees?
2/ Do you think the food in India helps or is it bad for bone regeneration?
3/ What is your typical day like, I mean what do you do? Do you go out the hotel often?
4/ The extra physiotherapy you are doing atm, how much is that a session and do you think the price will be similar for Precice 2?
5/ How slow is the internet, for example Youtube, does it load slowly?

Probably a bad time to ask so many questions given you just had your first major complication and for that I apologise in advance. Answer them when ever you are able to

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »

What you described is common and normal, and nothing you can't stretch your way out of pretty quickly.  Do you have sandbags or other heavy things you could put on your knees?  Those helped me out a lot as a form of passive physical therapy that I could do just while lying in bed.

No sandbags. I've been going to the edge of the bed and elevating my feet onto the walker, which locks my knees out and causes them to push downward due to the walker being much higher. So far it seems to be working.

just a question, how old are you and what's the average age at the hospital?
Thanks & good luck!

Early 20s.

Not sure what the average age is. I've seen a bunch of children, teens, middle age, and geriatrics.

A few more questions Kilo
1/ Can you ask about the Precice 2 nail when you next see Dr Parihar again. In the case of malfunction where the patient is not at fault like the recent one in South Africa, what does Dr Parihar do in those situations in terms of help for the patient? Will the replacement be extra charge or just an extra charge for the hospital fees?
2/ Do you think the food in India helps or is it bad for bone regeneration?
3/ What is your typical day like, I mean what do you do? Do you go out the hotel often?
4/ The extra physiotherapy you are doing atm, how much is that a session and do you think the price will be similar for Precice 2?
5/ How slow is the internet, for example Youtube, does it load slowly?

Probably a bad time to ask so many questions given you just had your first major complication and for that I apologise in advance. Answer them when ever you are able to

1) I'll ask him about the first one. I let him know about some of the issues with the nails not distracting that happened with patients of Dr Lee and Dr Birkholtz so he knows it could be an issue later. I've asked him about getting another internal option available to choose from and he's been thinking about it.

2) You can get all your nutritional needs here. Dr Parihar gives you pills for calcium and zinc, and you can also get it from the dairy and fish here. You can get your proteins through chicken, fish, and mutton. And there's no shortage of vegetables with so many here being vegetarian.

3) I haven't been going outside the hotel room much, just for a little bit to lounge in the lobby every once in a while. I have an HDTV in my room and a PS3 along with a bunch of DVDs and books in addition to my laptop, so that helps with the boredom. There's not much in terms of social interaction though being the only foreigner here and only one in frames.

4) I don't know yet. I've had two sessions so far and Dr Chaudhary hasn't said anything to me about money so I haven't paid anything so far.

5) I can watch youtube vids up to 480p fine. I have to pause for HD vids to load though. I think the average speed according to my cell phone is 19 mbps at this hotel, though at time it goes higher or lower depending on how many in the hotel are using it.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

I've confirmed the price for physiotherapy is 1,000 INR (around $16.00 USD) per session when done outside the hospital. Worked out that I'll pay every 5 sessions.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #240 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »

Wow thats really cheap. So thats for the physio to come over to your hotel and do it in your room? Ooops that sounds kinda wrong  :o
And thats for a one hour session?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Yep.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »

Hey Kilo, just reread your diary again and seems like you've changed my mind regarding LL in India  :)
Regarding Precice in one of your earlier post you said that you'd have to pay Ellipse the $30,000 first before they ship it to Dr Parihar. As I'd like to go to India first and look around at the place, the facilities, what Dr Parihar is like I'd rather not want to pay the $30k upfront incase I back out and lose that money. I know Dr Birkholtz patients didn't have to pay upfront before the nails get shipped and only paid for them on arrival and after their consultations(I think). Can a patient pay after a consultation with Dr Parihar and not have to wait for it to arrive? Could you ask Dr Parihar about this when you can?

Also I dont think you've said anything regarding showering unless I missed it, are you allowed to shower fully as in get the frames wet as well? Or do you need to cover them up before showering?

Taller

« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »

How is the equinus Kilokahn? Has your therapy been of any relief yet?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »

Hey Kilo, just reread your diary again and seems like you've changed my mind regarding LL in India  :)
Regarding Precice in one of your earlier post you said that you'd have to pay Ellipse the $30,000 first before they ship it to Dr Parihar. As I'd like to go to India first and look around at the place, the facilities, what Dr Parihar is like I'd rather not want to pay the $30k upfront incase I back out and lose that money. I know Dr Birkholtz patients didn't have to pay upfront before the nails get shipped and only paid for them on arrival and after their consultations(I think). Can a patient pay after a consultation with Dr Parihar and not have to wait for it to arrive? Could you ask Dr Parihar about this when you can?

Also I dont think you've said anything regarding showering unless I missed it, are you allowed to shower fully as in get the frames wet as well? Or do you need to cover them up before showering?

I believe Dr Parihar has to contact Ellipse first and request the nails for a patient before they ship them and then from there the payment to Ellipse is worked out and everything. I see Dr Parihar again next Thursday and I'll ask for more details on how it all works. The process for him should be the same as the one for any of the other doctors here, like Dr Shah for example.

Once the stitches are removed from the osteotomy sites you're allowed to bathe. You leave your dressings on and wash your legs as normal, getting the fixators and the dressings wet, and right after bathing you dry the fixators with a towel and replace the wet dressings with new ones.

How is the equinus Kilokahn? Has your therapy been of any relief yet?

There's been solid improvement. My right leg has it almost all the way sorted out but my left leg has always been tighter and it takes a little more time and force to get the heel to the ground. Still also have knee flexion but after some time I'm able to get my legs fully extended. I'm not really worried about them anymore, but my quads have taken such a hit from atrophy that I can no longer fully extend my legs while sitting or lift my legs up high from a lying down position. I've been doing electric muscle stimulation on my quads twice a day to try and get that strength back. My physiotherapist is hopeful though and he thinks based on my progress that I can get all my issues sorted by next Thursday.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »

Update: 9/19/2014
I spoke with Dr Divya again and have decided that I'll continue lengthening .75 mm per day until I see Dr Parihar again on Thursday, at which point I'll stop. I've currently turned 5.8 cm and I'll stop turning at 6.3 cm. Due to the discrepancy between my turning amount and lengthening amount in prior checkups I'm expecting the actual distraction to be 5.7 cm at the end of it. I figure that even though Dr Parihar recommends 6 cm as the safe maximum it doesn't mean I need to stretch to that limit as it's close enough. Looking at my legs now and judging from how I feel battling equinus and ankle tightness currently, I'm going to call it a day at the next check up and let the bone consolidation commence. If any misalignment is present they'll replace the rods with hexapod struts. The good thing is that Dr Divya told me correcting misalignment with the hexapod should only take a few days because I don't have to lengthen as well. He told me that hexapod will be no extra charge, which was nice to hear.

Not much more going on now. My left leg is still tighter than my right one and it's made me have pain right above where the top of my foot begins when I have the straps on. Also  trying to figure out how I'll manage at the airport and flying home. I was watching videos about the Twin Towers a week ago and that's got me nervous about flying again, too.

paco1

« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »

Hi kilokhan, can you ask to doctor parihar if he know doctor salameh was in congress of india, beacuse he wasn't in the programe but
i talked with him by email and he told me that he was in india in a congress. THAN YOU.
Cheers, paco

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »

Hi kilokhan, can you ask to doctor parihar if he know doctor salameh was in congress of india, beacuse he wasn't in the programe but
i talked with him by email and he told me that he was in india in a congress. THAN YOU.
Cheers, paco

Hi,

He attended ASAMI 2014.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33   Go Up