Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How much should I lengthen based on what you read!

More than 5 cm - 6 cm (inclusive)
More than 6 cm - 7 cm (inclusive)
More than 7 cm - 8 cm (inclusive)
More than 8 cm - 9 cm (inclusive)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Lengthening with Dr Bagirov in Moscow (9th December surgery date)  (Read 126547 times)

ItsMyLife

Re: Lengthening with Dr Bagirov in Moscow (9th December surgery date)
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »

Will I be fine?
if there is slight misalignment can this be corrected when I reach Moscow?
My pics:
http://tinypic.com/r/fbhtgo/8
 http://tinypic.com/r/3499zpi/8
http://tinypic.com/r/2nreae1/8

I can walk (with some blunt pains) due to the rapid compression and decompression of the area by 1-2 cm.
I can dorsiflex, but now I am experiencing moderate pains (upped my tramadol to 100 mg)

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »

that's some scary stuff!

im praying for you.

I don't know what your plans are. I know you said your planning a return trip to Russia in like a month or something.

perhaps taking x rays would be a good idea to asses the damage.

I guess the worst case scenario would be consolidation at a wrong angle. however im sure the bone cant become to hard in the next month so as to prevent manual manipulation.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »

that's some scary stuff!

im praying for you.

I don't know what your plans are. I know you said your planning a return trip to Russia in like a month or something.

perhaps taking x rays would be a good idea to asses the damage.

I guess the worst case scenario would be consolidation at a wrong angle. however im sure the bone cant become to hard in the next month so as to prevent manual manipulation.

thanks. Noticeable edema is setting in (compared with the right side) near the osteotomy site...... pain is moderate and is better with another 50 mg tramadol and diclofenac gel applied. now its 3/10.
Yes, going to Russia next month (16 march).
I've sent these pics to Fahri.
I think I will schedule an emergency trip to my local ortho for X-rays next week (and more pain meds). I was scheduled for early march but I think its good to do an X-ray to check.
What can be done if there is angulation of the bone fragments?
But if the distance between the two half-rings is same as before, would there be angulation?? (I mean, I shd be fine right if the distance is maintained... basically my bone fragments might have moved some angle or distance but I manipulated it back with the central rod pushed to 9 cm??

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2015, 06:07:54 PM »

I don't know your device very well I cant answer your questions.

however I can ask you questions to get you thinking about your own device.

What can be done if there is angulation of the bone fragments

doctors normally handle this part.

But if the distance between the two half-rings is same as before, would there be angulation??

how much did the device bend after the rod came out? when the rod came out were there other parts of the device that then had to much pressure possibly bending them slightly causing misalignment.

I think xray is the only way to be sure.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »

I don't know your device very well I cant answer your questions.

however I can ask you questions to get you thinking about your own device.

doctors normally handle this part.

how much did the device bend after the rod came out? when the rod came out were there other parts of the device that then had to much pressure possibly bending them slightly causing misalignment.

I think xray is the only way to be sure.

Yes, x-ray soon.....
The device (as seen in the pics) is Rod 1 --  Rod 2(central rod) -- and Rod 3.
Rod 1 and Rod 3 look similar to before the incident.
I was not standing or anything when Rod 2 came out. So I suppose Rod 1 and Rod 3 would support my legs?
Does it make sense that there is muscular and soft tissue tension causing compression at the central area?? Because the distance between the two half rings became like 8 cm. (compressed 1 cm). The central rod came out and when it came out, it deviated to the left.... out of the holding device..
the half rings are not distorted.. they are angulated slightly on purpose (my home ortho also said that)
If the rod breaks when you are standing, I can imagine a more traumatic experience!
I mean I think I shd be more or less fine... I am not anxious now or anything (and how can you be anxious with 75 mg of lyrica which doubles up not just as a nerve painkiller but also anti-anxiety).
Im just wondering if there is some angulation or deviation, can the doctors manipulate the device? or lengthen one rod more than another after I see my doc?? Or.... do I need to go back to surgery and surgical manipulation??

ItsMyLife

« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »

pain is gone now..i am able to walk/stand for a minute (only some pain when walking/standing)

really wanna thank  you guys for the invaluable advice.. it is really helpful.. you guys are so helpful even with crimsontide..
anyway I think my left leg is slightly bent (looks like this <) but it is only very slight!

what can the doctor do when I go to Russia next month? do I need another surgery?? I am so so tired and sick of surgery.. the propofol isn't good for your mind either..

anyway here Is my dorsiflexion pics.. I am at about 5 cm and I don't see ballerina feet coming?
http://tinypic.com/r/14c8upl/8
http://tinypic.com/r/116rjvb/8
people are saying that ballerina will happen etc etc at 5 cm but I don't think its coming anytime soon? or is it a sudden striker :O

anyone had late ballerina?? like at 7cm?
I might abort lengthening once I develop severe ballerina as I really need to walk so I can work..

anyway RGkey hasn't had ballerina at all throughout 9 cm.. but close to it..

p

Taller

« Reply #285 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »

How often and fat do you walk on daily basis now?

ItsMyLife

« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »

How often and fat do you walk on daily basis now?

About 15-30 minutes.. I can walk quite fast (but slow at the first few steps due to knee contracture that straightens after a few steps)....the speed maybe about 1 metre takes 1.5 to 2+ seconds

I just had an accident/emergency (see above). so I don't wanna weightbear tonight. tomorrow I will do 30 mins. and the day after maybe 45 mins

I am lengthening at home. if the rod breaks, it is the end of my leg..... so I don't wanna take chances (I have some rod bending on central right leg that is a little worrying, but it is just very slight and doesn't seem close to breaking point)

Taller

« Reply #287 on: February 20, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »

That is a very good approach. I'm so sorry to hear about your emergency. Walking is the number one way to fight ballerina though, so I'd keep walking if you want to reach 8CM. Even the angulation of the bone ends should be easily correctable by your doctor, although worst case scenario, he'll have to use a different frame to do it. But as long as you keep lengthening at a safe but good rate, the bone will be unconsolidated enough to allow just about any correction.

Is it possible for you to go back to Russia sooner? It might be worth the investment. Even if it costs you an additional $2000 to get this major complication sorted out immediately by your doctor and to reach 8CM properly, it is still much, much cheaper than having to pay over $10,000 for a seperate femur legnthening later in life. And since 182CM is the height you want and your doctors can do it safely on just the tibia, I don't see the point of stopping early and doing femurs later.

Of course, if you ballerina , consider stopping, but take all the steps possible (literally haha) to make sure that it never happens.

Good luck!

ItsMyLife

« Reply #288 on: February 20, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »

That is a very good approach. I'm so sorry to hear about your emergency. Walking is the number one way to fight ballerina though, so I'd keep walking if you want to reach 8CM. Even the angulation of the bone ends should be easily correctable by your doctor, although worst case scenario, he'll have to use a different frame to do it. But as long as you keep lengthening at a safe but good rate, the bone will be unconsolidated enough to allow just about any correction.

Is it possible for you to go back to Russia sooner? It might be worth the investment. Even if it costs you an additional $2000 to get this major complication sorted out immediately by your doctor and to reach 8CM properly, it is still much, much cheaper than having to pay over $10,000 for a seperate femur legnthening later in life. And since 182CM is the height you want and your doctors can do it safely on just the tibia, I don't see the point of stopping early and doing femurs later.

Of course, if you ballerina , consider stopping, but take all the steps possible (literally haha) to make sure that it never happens.

Good luck!

Further update from dr fahri via email: problem of angulation is easily corrected in 5 minutes. no surgery needed.... and I have inserted the rod correctly (sent him many pics). I feel so relieved now...

16 march is not too far away.. I would do a local ortho X-ray and send it over to dr fahri to make sure all is OK. mmm, my flight is booked for 16 march and sure I can expedite it... at a low cost maybe $60-100 administrative fee.... but I think I am fine, really.

Unless I develop some serious problems tomorrow, it is fine. I managed to walk a little just now.... the frame is rigid and stable, rod is inserted properly...

I am considering adding another rod to the frame, which is 1-2 millimetres loose, in case the central rod collapses.. is this a good idea?? I will remove it whenever I lengthen my leg.. the thought of the frame collapsing scares me to death

See my finger (the safety rod I installed as a failsafe measure): http://tinypic.com/r/15pkb9z/8  (I will only use it when I am not lengthening. WHen I am turning the screws, I remove it)

ItsMyLife

« Reply #289 on: February 20, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »

Fahri noticed the rod was oblique (I thought that was the best)
But this is better: http://tinypic.com/r/29102g7/8 (pretty parallel to the other rods)

He seems to be alright to have a safety rod (fourth rod).
This safety rod is loosened when I lengthen the other three rods.

What do you guys think? Is it ok to have such a safety rod..

ItsMyLife

« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »

update: I am continuing my lengthening. at 5+ cm. considering using ultrasound machines to speed up regenerate, has anyone used/heard of people using it? apo used it, but claims it wasn't phenomenal.. its FDA-approved for non-union but I wonder what is its effect on such a large bone gap... and for stem cell treatment, you take it from your fat and centrifuge it? anyone did stem cell?

today some nerve pains and tenderness at the osteotomy site due to the accident yesterday.
but by night-time, the pains are gone. still some slight pain when walking.. nothing severe.
I suppose its due to soft tissue edema pressing the nerves.
dr fahri has cleared me, and I am good to go.
I have a spare rod now (the photo is wrong, the nut shd be above the half -ring); I put nuts above and below the half ring now.
so this spare/safety rod is fine according to fahri. and, I just loosen it each time I wanna lengthen my left leg
why this safety rod? just worried that the central rod might come off again (I am sure I nailed it this time, and the lengthening mechanism works perfectly; BUT you can never be too safe).
if anyone wants walking videos, etc, let me know.

Taller

« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »

I would love to see walking videos and pictures of your proportions of it isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

ItsMyLife

« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »

I would love to see walking videos and pictures of your proportions of it isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

Sure, I will try to post walking videos once my left leg is better. Probably in a few days time.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »

Pin site infection yesterday and today, resolved with oral antibiotics and topical.. It is very sharp pincing pain which sometimes occur at rest (other pinsites have no pain/discomfort). Also very bad tenderness upon light pressure . Pain goes up to 9/10. Very bad.

Now, almost no pain upon pressure. But continuing antibiotic course (cipro, and tetracycline ointment); going to hospital tomorrow to get more antibiotics just in case I don't have enough at home..

Due to infection and the left leg accident, minimal walking for past few days.. . But no decline in mobility. ( I can walk if I want to)

Tibiafibula

• Visitor
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »

Hi Guys why it says Dr Bagirov did the surgery and you guys keep mentioning dr Fahri  please let me know i am having my surgery in few month with dr Bagirov in Moscow and they said 10 days after surgery i can go back home and lengthen my self and when the lengthening finishes i have to go back to the clinic to tight all the screw so no lengthening anymore and i have to be with apparatus for ip to 6 month please let me know , is it okay to go back home after surgery and is Dr Bagirov a good doctor i want to lengthen for 7cm and to correct slight bow legs at the same time as the girl in the clinic who works there called Anya said it is possible to straighten the legs and to lengthen at the same time i really don't know much about this  please guys if anyone can explain

Tibiafibula

• Visitor
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:57 AM »

As i have russian and british passport Anna said for russian citizens cost will be cheaper which she said i need to pay 340.000rb

ItsMyLife

« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »

Hi Guys why it says Dr Bagirov did the surgery and you guys keep mentioning dr Fahri  please let me know i am having my surgery in few month with dr Bagirov in Moscow and they said 10 days after surgery i can go back home and lengthen my self and when the lengthening finishes i have to go back to the clinic to tight all the screw so no lengthening anymore and i have to be with apparatus for ip to 6 month please let me know , is it okay to go back home after surgery and is Dr Bagirov a good doctor i want to lengthen for 7cm and to correct slight bow legs at the same time as the girl in the clinic who works there called Anya said it is possible to straighten the legs and to lengthen at the same time i really don't know much about this  please guys if anyone can explain

I cant comment if Bagirov is a good doc, but I must say I have had little complications and I am at 5.2 cm
Anna is not helpful, she is very negligent. Be careful that your visa is registered if you come on a visa (you need to register with the immigration people). It is the hospital's duty to register your visa. Pls read my diary for more information. These diaries too: crimsontide, wannabegiant.

Can you help us research his qualifications? On Russian Forums? IT would be helpful.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »

Update 5.2 cm now.

Walking: Good but worse slightly. (because I did not walk a few days due to infection and the left leg incident)
Dorsiflexion: 10-15 degrees
Infection status: Clinically improved (2 proximal sites infection)
Medicines: Stopped Tramadol. Now on Arcoxia for a few days to prevent Tramadol dependency. Restarting Tramadol in a few days. Codeine for pain (about 2 tablets of 30 mg a day)
Pain: Similar. Mostly no pain. Sometimes, pain is 3/10 or 4/10. Nothing severe. But tramadol is a better and stronger painkiller than Arcoxia. Tramadol also makes you sleepy the whole day.
Left Leg (1 cm compression and re-extension): It is much better now, as if the accident hadn't happened. Nerve hypersensitivity at the osteotomy region is gone.
Prognosis: I think I can reach 6 cm without any (immediate) soft tissue complications. I think WBG should have pushed for more.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »

Further discussion with my doctor on Skype today. I asked about the possibility of me stopping at 6 cm and going back to do 3 cm femurs.

He insists that 8 cm tibia is not a problem and promises full recovery. He still insists I should not do femur surgery and do just the tibia.... (they do operate on femurs, externally)

I think (to play safe) and strike a more judicious balance (though it is still insane), I will do 7.5 Cm.

The fact that clinically I am doing very well without pain  and with good sleep.. I think supports my decision to do 7.5 cm in the face of overwhelming opinion to the contrary.

I think to do 7.5 cm and recover fully... it is a defensible (though may not be the best) choice?

I remember I had a talk with the Professor during my first visit. 5-6 cm is low risk. about 7-8 cm is moderate risk and (about) 9 cm to 10 cm is high risk.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »

I just don't understand why they don't offer nailing or do nailing. I read their website and they do offer nails and internals for trauma cases. And Dr Fahri is trained in orthopedic traumatology (I think he doesn't specialise in limb lengthening, he just learns through experience with Dr Bagirov)

Moose

« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »

I feel like this guy when he says "full recovery" he means like yeah you will be able to walk and what not but play physical and rigorous sports/activities? I'm not so sure about that. Honestly i would stop at 6cm and take the 2 n a half inch gain (which is a huge gain) no matter what this guy in a white coat says. He is still just a man playing the role of god and he has nothing to lose.
Mod Note: Currently Banned for violating rules

GeTs

« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2015, 07:09:08 PM »

Further discussion with my doctor on Skype today. I asked about the possibility of me stopping at 6 cm and going back to do 3 cm femurs.

He insists that 8 cm tibia is not a problem and promises full recovery. He still insists I should not do femur surgery and do just the tibia.... (they do operate on femurs, externally)

I think (to play safe) and strike a more judicious balance (though it is still insane), I will do 7.5 Cm.

The fact that clinically I am doing very well without pain  and with good sleep.. I think supports my decision to do 7.5 cm in the face of overwhelming opinion to the contrary.

I think to do 7.5 cm and recover fully... it is a defensible (though may not be the best) choice?

I remember I had a talk with the Professor during my first visit. 5-6 cm is low risk. about 7-8 cm is moderate risk and (about) 9 cm to 10 cm is high risk.
actually 6 cm is the low end of medium risk thus why most who do 6 get away with it pretty well

Taller

« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »

Could you ask your doctor for the specific reason they don't offer nailing or plating in cosmetic cases?

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33:43 PM »

Could you ask your doctor for the specific reason they don't offer nailing or plating in cosmetic cases?

probably the same reason kilokahns doctor pariah does not offer lon for cosmetic patients. (or at least if he can help it)
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #304 on: February 25, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »

probably the same reason kilokahns doctor pariah does not offer lon for cosmetic patients. (or at least if he can help it)

pariha.. you have been calling him pariah so many times. A pariah (if I recall my high school right) is a member of the lower caste in India.

Whats the reason??

ItsMyLife

« Reply #305 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »

He doesn't wear a white coat, hes always In blue surgical scrub  :D Prof bagirov likes to wear a white coat though.

I have repeatedly emphasized to Dr Fahri and Prof Bagirov that I want to retain athletic ability and I play basketball competitively.... In fact, Fahri saw my school team jersey which I was wearing one day and asked if I love basketball a lot.

I have repeated to them before surgery and after surgery, at least 3-5 times. They were referring to recovery of full athletic abilities.

I think I have to take this game one step higher. Instead of accepting their words as golden gospel (they will not suffer much if I lose most of my abilities), I will start to ask them WHY I will not have any permanent impediments in athleticism. Is it due to their clinical experience? Is it due to my bone length? My athleticism itself? My smooth progress so far? Etc.

And yes. @taller I will ask why nailing is not done for CS patients.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »

@Moose, can you tell me some members who had athletic function loss after 2 years? I think at the two year mark MDOW is the only one at 7.5. And he said he did not really train extra-hard, and probably he could have improved if he trained plyometrics. Sweden seems to have lost it too, but I think he is 1 year-ish post op? Goodfootballer can still play football but at a reduced level, how many years is he post-op? How much he lengthened and which method? Did he even train back his muscle strength and fast twitch fibres in his legs?

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »

quote from someone:
I personally asked Dr. Lee what he thought about this (lengthening past 6 cm) and he has told me that from his experience in talking to former lengthening patients (2-3 years post recovery) those that only lengthened 5 cm recovered fully and their previous athleticism returned close to 100% to pre-LL levels. On the other hand, those who chose to lengthen between 6 and 7 centimeters recovered 100% in performing daily functions (walking, light jogging, etc), BUT only recovered about 60-70% of their pre-LL athleticism when engaging in serious sports/strenuous activities (full sprinting, jumping, basketball, rugby, etc..). Additionally, those that lengthened beyond 7 cm saw an ever greater decline in their previous athletic abilities.

ps. Sweden is 2 years post op.

ps. good footballer quit football.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #308 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

pariha.. you have been calling him pariah so many times.
Whats the reason??

that's how my brain works. trust me you wouldn't care to understand. its not important. 
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »

how many cm did goodfootballer do and which method?and tibia/femur? doctor?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up