Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scientists Find Genes That Determine Height  (Read 2636 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Scientists Find Genes That Determine Height
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »

Interesting new find.

If you are unhappy with your height, you can blame your genes. In the biggest genetic study of height-related genes, scientists found out that there are hundreds of genetic regions that affect the height.

The GIANT (Genetic Investigation of Anthropometric Traits) consortium found out that while better diets make us taller than our ancestors, it just accounts for a fifth of the growth spurt. Four-fifths is linked to genes that are passed down from generation to generation.

In the study, scientists studied the DNA of about 250,000 Europeans. They also checked more than two million genetic factors. Professor Tim Frayling from the Medical School of Exeter said that height is determined by the different variations in DNA sequences.

Scientists were also surprised to discover some genetic regions that they never thought would be related to the height of a person. One of which is a gene that has always been known to be related to cell growth, but not skeletal functions. Dr. Joel Hirschhorn, the leader of the GIANT consortium at Boston Children’s Hospital, Broad Institute of MIT, and the Harvard Medical School, said that height is a combination of things.

“It’s a mix ranging from completely known things, to those that make sense to things that are completely surprising and things we don’t even know what to think about them.”

With the new discovery, scientists are now on the first step towards “fulfilling a scientific curiosity.” Knowing the factors that affect height can also lead to better treatment of diseases that have to do with height, including osteoporosis.

“It’s also a step forward towards a test that may reassure parents worried that their child is not growing as well as they’d hoped – most of these children have probably simply inherited a big batch of ‘short genes.'”

The results of the study proves that the scientists are now far from what they identified before, which is the first common height gene. The advancement in the study is also because of the available technology today, where scientists have bigger access to DNA data.

“These data sets are proving to be a genetic treasure trove which has enables us to shed light on height, and we expect to continue to make significant advances, both in this field and in other human traits.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1521498/scientists-find-genes-that-determine-height/
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

PrettyTall

Re: Scientists Find Genes That Determine Height
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »

I was going to post the same topic but you're pretty fast for prettytall :D

Overdozer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »

Sorry, but what's new there? It's not like short stature isn't being treated medically for over 30 years now, despite the general public being completely ignorant about it...
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »

I was always of the opinion that height was primarily determined by the genes one inherits. In the first world, even if you think you are starving or being deprived of nutrients, you are probably not - at least to the extent that it would substantially inhibit your growth.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »

I am an alive example: father 5'10, mother 5'9 brother not even 14:5'9...and me:5'8 16 and have stopped growing 2.5 years. And the mild baldness from my father... I do not have now but in 6 months my hair have gotten blonder and lighter...its my countdown, though he doesn't have any white hair and he is 50 (as I said his baldness now Is mild but noticable) . Anyway hair transplant on the way and LL . How about my penis? Its 6.5 inches long but only 4.5 inches thick. Should i try extenders? Sorry for the hasle, i just need help
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 12:48:32 AM »

sorry guys.

this is a rubbish study.

while genes are responsible for height, genes are not independent of nutrition.

second.  osteoporosis already has a cure. and has jack s**t to do with genes.

if you are nutritionally deficient the genes will not express themselves.

every single science body always tries to state genes(in totality) are the reason for every illness because this is how they make their money.

this study is nothing more than lying to the public.

osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer, heart disease ect........... they keep trying to misdirect the public by pretending its a gene and we just need to research which gene and how to give you expensive medical shots of gene therapy. never telling people that all these diseases can be cured for around 10 cents per day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up