Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad consolidation  (Read 5853 times)

FedUp

• Visitor
Bad consolidation
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »

I have been considering external tibias (5cm) but the fear of failing at consolidating bothers me. What exactly causes this?
I have read several diaries and I know mostly very fast lenghtening (1mm/day+), bad diets or very bad infections cause it, is there anything else that could do it? or is it just bad genetics?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Bad consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »

Don't smoke and make sure to stand or walk if you can every day. Unless you have some sort of condition then your consolidation should go well enough.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

alps

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:42:40 AM »

What specific condition?

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:43:54 AM »

You need to put a lot of pressure on your bone, so stand as long as you can. Be careful with walking too much, because too much movement at the pin sites can cause infections.

And ofc eat as much as you can, your body needs kcal. Just don't eat too much gabage.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:54 AM »

Sometimes it's genetic. But yeah, as others have said, eat right, get enough sleep, and stand a lot and you'll probably be fine.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »

I also wonder about this.

What about those that are vitamin d deficient? Do you guys think that will have a major impact in consolidation?
Logic would say yes?

Metanoia

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »

The bone-cutting technique has a huge influence.  It is the most important factor.

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »

The bone-cutting technique has a huge influence.  It is the most important factor.

What is different about Parley technique that he claims differens from european doctors.?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »

Paley*
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »

The bone cutting technique is indeed one of the most important factors causing non union. It may occur when the fracture moves too much, has a poor blood supply or gets infected. Patients who smoke have a higher incidence of nonunion.

The reasons for non-union are

avascular necrosis (the blood supply was interrupted by the fracture)
    the two ends are not apposed (that is, they are not next to each other)
    infection (particularly osteomyelitis)
    the fracture is not fixed (that is, the two ends are still mobile)
    soft-tissue imposition (there is muscle or ligament covering the broken ends and preventing them from touching each other)

THERE ARE 2 TYPES:

Hypertrophic non-union

Callus is formed, but the bone fractures have not joined. This can be due to inadequate fixation of the fracture, and treated with rigid immobilisation.

Atrophic non-union
No callus is formed. This is often due to impaired bony healing, for example due to vascular causes (e.g. impaired blood supply to the bone fragments) or metabolic causes (e.g. diabetes or smoking). Failure of initial union, for example when bone fragments are separated by soft tissue may also lead to atrophic non-union. Atrophic non-union can be treated by improving fixation, removing the end layer of bone to provide raw ends for healing, and the use of bone grafts.

IN LL I have seen instances of both types. I won't say where because you will accuse me of spamming. Bad osteotomy was the cause in some cases, the most worrisome ones. In other cases the patient is to be blamed (smoking).

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonunion
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:45:28 PM by LLuser1 »
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

Ozymandias

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »

The bone cutting technique is indeed one of the most important factors causing non union. It may occur when the fracture moves too much, has a poor blood supply or gets infected. Patients who smoke have a higher incidence of nonunion.

The reasons for non-union are

avascular necrosis (the blood supply was interrupted by the fracture)
    the two ends are not apposed (that is, they are not next to each other)
    infection (particularly osteomyelitis)
    the fracture is not fixed (that is, the two ends are still mobile)
    soft-tissue imposition (there is muscle or ligament covering the broken ends and preventing them from touching each other)

THERE ARE 2 TYPES:

Hypertrophic non-union

Callus is formed, but the bone fractures have not joined. This can be due to inadequate fixation of the fracture, and treated with rigid immobilisation.

Atrophic non-union
No callus is formed. This is often due to impaired bony healing, for example due to vascular causes (e.g. impaired blood supply to the bone fragments) or metabolic causes (e.g. diabetes or smoking). Failure of initial union, for example when bone fragments are separated by soft tissue may also lead to atrophic non-union. Atrophic non-union can be treated by improving fixation, removing the end layer of bone to provide raw ends for healing, and the use of bone grafts.

IN LL I have seen instances of both types. I won't say where because you will accuse me of spamming. Bad osteotomy was the cause in some cases, the most worrisome ones. In other cases the patient is to be blamed (smoking).

Why are you copypasting articles from the wikipedia in a 1.5 year old thread?

At least have some manners and add the source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonunion

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 11:46:24 PM »

It's added now. Nothing to be ashamed.
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up