Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Plzen's journey Precice II , bilateral femurs (South Africa, Dr. Birkholtz)  (Read 39153 times)

Plzen

ShortyMcshort,
If no complications then 90 days is enough time. South Africa gives visa by days, in my case 90 days visa.

Uppland

Thanks for well wishes Axelf,

1- He did talk to me about possible increased risk of arthritis.

Can you expand a little bit on this please?

Plzen

Uppland,
I was too excited/nervous about surgery when he was talking to me (this was the day before surgery). He also talked about it during my first consultation, but that was about 4 months ago. I think I remember what he said, but I don't want to scare anyone by misquoting him.
I am meeting him next week. I will ask him again.

TRS

@Uppland
The increased risk of arthritis is due to lengthening along the anatomical axis of the femurs which inevitably leads to a lateral shift in the mechanical axis. All internal nails in the femur lengthen along the anatomical axis. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22933497
Dr.Birkholtz mentioned it here http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=137.msg6963#msg6963
However some people with pre-existing femoral malalignment may benefit from this lateral shift and reduce the chance of arthritis in the future.

@Plzen
You must be near the end of your distraction phase. I'm glad that you're are doing well.
Keep it up!

Plzen

TRS,
Thank you for well wishes, and for answering Uppland's question.

mediocre

Hi Pizen. Thanks for this diary.

Can you talk about the scar? If possible some photos.

I thought I saw scar photos of one of Dr Franz patients in old forum  (the one with failed Precice) and they're quite big.

Plzen

Mediocre,
There are six of them (scars) on each leg. Their size from biggest to smallest.
2.8cm,2cm,1.3cm,the other three are all less than 1cm.

mediocre

Ok. It sounds like they're small.

I don't know why Exile88 (old forum ) has big scars.

TRS

Ok. It sounds like they're small.

I don't know why Exile88 (old forum    ) has big scars.
My scars are about the same size as Plzen.
Initially Exile88 had a smaller incision scar on his left thigh until his second surgery which required the removal and insertion of the PRECICE2 nails.

mediocre

Oh yeah. It's the second surgery.

Precice's fault -- there should be compensation.

Plzen

update:
first of all I am having problems with my laptop adapter/battery charger. I have to manipulate the cord near the computer insertion point, and I have to hold it like that with my left hand. If I let it (the cord) go, then battery does not charge, it is a big headache. I have to type this with one hand. I is difficult to find that specific type adapter here in south africa. So far I have not found replacement. computer gurus, any easier solution? i have dell inspiron mini 10, my travel computer.

Some of you have messaged me privately, i will respond as soon as computer issue is resolved.

disraction=5.5cm

good news= i found a way to get out of my room by myself. i love it outside. it is summer here but to me it feels like spring most of the days

bad news= new pain in the left knee and thigh for the last one week.

PT going well, i go there everyday. stiffness about the same as my last update, mainly left leg.

mood much better now, because i now it is toward the end, also i can get out of my room whenever i want.

wake up 2 to 3 times per night. in total i still get 6-7 hours sleep per night, which i am thankful for.

Saw Dr B 2 days ago, x-ray looked good. no explanation on x ray for left leg pain.

overall i am happy, and want to be done soon, hopefully when i reach 7cm

sorry for not capitalizing, i hate typing with one hand

afonso

Hey happy to hear that your mood is good and you're getting your sleep (sleep is key).  I had the same problem with my left leg.  It was and continues to be the weakling of the pair and no one (doctor, PT etc..) can tell me why. I've just come to accept the the left requires more TLC.  1.5 CM to go I know seeing the light at the end of the tunnel is a good feeling.

Regarding your laptop not exactly sure what is going on but maybe this might help

Plzen

thank you afonso for encouragement.
i hope you are improving as well.
i agree sleep is very important for this journey.

the computer problem is the same as your video,but more severe.  I think I will be able to survive.

Plzen

My computer problem is still there.
Depending on how things are going (with my computer), I may or may not be able to update regularly. I will update for sure once I go home which is three weeks from now.

axelf

An updates? How is pa in? Question: how mich money do you spend.   Apart from the package price ?

ForcedPuberty

my computer has the same messed up up problem. its is very very annoying lol. thank you for the video.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

Plzen

Axelf,
The new pAin in my left leg that I talked about in my last post, thankfully is all gone. I now have the general pain which is controlled with tramadol/Tylenol.
Estimate 400 us dollars per month spending that is not part of package. When I go home, I will check my bank statement, I will pm you the exact cost at that time.
I eat big breakfast (including 4 eggs) breakfast included with room, so I don't pay exta. Skip lunch, even at home I skipped lunch. Eat big dinner at 4 pm. I also eat salad and fruits between meals. The reason I am explaining all this is, your monthly spending might be different if your eating habits are different than mine.
The worst discomfort when I wake up from sleep, which is muscle tightness.
I have distracted 6cm.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:46:45 PM by Plzen »

Taller

How do you feel about your tibia to femur ratio and leg to upper body proportion now that you're at 6CM?

How long are your femurs compared to your torso?

axelf

Re: Plzen's journey Precice II , bilateral femurs (South Africa, Dr. Birkholtz)
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »

we need a big updaaaaaaaaaate :)

Plzen

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »

Update.
On Jan 13th my x-rays showed that I had lengthened 5.5cm, I wrote an update about it here in my diary on Jan 15th.
Fast forward to Jan 27th, when I had x-ray, I was given a bad news. My right leg remained at 5.5cm. My left leg was aroun 6.7cm.
Dr Birkholtz told me to stop lengthening my left leg. Start lengthening my right leg at 4mm/day (that was not the actual lengthening number, instead it was the attempted lengthening. Remember that at this point the right leg has not been lengthening at all for 2 weeks). I did that for 2 days, then per Dr Birkholtz instruction I lengthened 2mm/day. The plan was that if the right leg lengthening does not work, then we have to shorten left leg. Needless to say, I was worried.

Six days later, I had another x-ray. This time, my right leg had lengthened total of 11mm (in 6.5 days).
So Dr. Birkholtz told me to lengthened both legs at 1mm/day for 5 to 6 more days, and then stop.

I stopped lengthening on Feb 6th. I achieved about  7.2cm in both legs.
I Flew out of South Africa Feb 7th (visa was to expire on Feb 8th).
I had a long flight (17 hours), then 3 hours layover, then another 1.5 hour flight. During the long flight, I went to the bathroom twice. The airline had their own "wheelchair".
I was sitting in economy plus class and I was sitting in the first row after business class. There was a lot of room for my legs, because there was not seat in front of me. That helped my legs, but I was still having pain during the long flight. Going to the bathroom, and standing in the bathroom actually helped my leg pain.
Arrived home yesterday.
Happy to be home.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »

what as the reason your leg originally refused to lengthen past 5.5cm? was it because of premature consolidation? malfunction of the device? or muscles/soft tissue resisting? or other?

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

Plzen

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »

Not device malfunction or premature consolidation. It was suspected muscle resistance.

Uppland

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »

Did it hurt alot when you started lenghtening faster?

alps

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »

Not device malfunction or premature consolidation. It was suspected muscle resistance.
Yea? Is this a common happening? Never heard of this before. I think it can't happen with Guichet/Betz nails because they mechanically click when distracted.

afonso

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 01:14:22 AM »

Hey Plzen,  sorry to hear about the bumpy road but 7+ cm - nice!!!  Are you happy with the end results so far? 

Plzen

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:21 AM »

I have been trying to catch my sleep, also jet lag, so I was not giving as detailed answers.

Uppland,
My right leg used to be the "good" leg, little pain, good range of motion. But when I was lengthening it about 2mm/day. I had some pain, also range of motion got worse.

SAD,
I do not know how common it is, I did not ask my doctor. I will try to ask my doctor via email. It will be interesting if one of Dr. Paley's patients ask him about his opinion.
Remember in the beginning of my diary I was complaining of pain when when lengthening 1mm at single setting? After that, I switched to 0.25mm 4 times per day, and the pain went away.

After that, about once a week, I would lengthen each leg 0.5mm at one setting to make sure I had some pain, meaning my legs were lengthening. A few day before my Jan 13th x-ray, I lengthened 0.5mm both legs, left leg had pain, right leg no pain. I kept lengthening right leg, I lengthened 1.5mm(all at once), still no pain.

I went to the doctor's office the next day, saw Dr. Birkholtz partner. Had x-ray, I think in 3-4 days. X-ray showed both legs about the same length. Discussed with Dr. Birkholtz and he said that I should see him more often (weekly). I told the doctors about my concern for absolutely no pain in the right leg. The guys before me had less/?no pain with lengthening towards the end, so I thought (and hoped) that was the case with my right leg as well.
Then Jan 27 came, and as I wrote before,  found out that my right leg was not lengthening.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:15:47 AM by Plzen »

Plzen

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »

Afonso,
Thanks for stopping by. Before my surgery, I prepared myself mentally for much bumpier road.
So far I am happy with end results.

axelf

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »

hey plzen,

hope your doing fine!

how is your mobility now? also, did you experience any unusual complaints? like how did your body respond to the procedure in general? for example: did you experience hair loss / grey hair, radical weight loss etc.?

Plzen

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:28 AM »

Axelf,
I have explained how I felt after surgery earlier in my diary, mainly poor appetite for at least a couple of weeks after surgery. No problems with my hair due to surgery. I did not have access to  a scale in South Africa, I had weight loss but I don't think I can call it radical. I seem to have gained some of my weight back. Currently I am 146 pounds (pre surgery I was 155 pounds).

As far as mobility goes, I live alone at a house. I seem to function ok. I use walker for some stuff (going to bathroom), use wheelchair for other stuff (washing dishes, preparing food). It is not easy, but I seem to manage. Tell you the truth, the last 3 to 4 days there were times that I was questioning why I did LL. "I thought I was done with LL, how long I have to keep doing this, this is taking so long". Today, I was better and did not question it. Also it is cold and cloudy where I live (In South Africa it was summer), that might be part of the reason why sometimes I feel this way. I bike daily at home (stationary bike).
Thanks for the emotional support guys (it really helps), please keep supporting me as I seem to need it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:42:11 AM by Plzen »

alps

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »

Axelf,
I have explained how I felt after surgery earlier in my diary, mainly poor appetite for at least a couple of weeks after surgery. No problems with my hair due to surgery. I did not have access to  a scale in South Africa, I had weight loss but I don't think I can call it radical. I seem to have gained some of my weight back. Currently I am 146 pounds (pre surgery I was 155 pounds).

As far as mobility goes, I live alone at a house. I seem to function ok. I use walker for some stuff (going to bathroom), use wheelchair for other stuff (washing dishes, preparing food). It is not easy, but I seem to manage. Tell you the truth, the last 3 to 4 days there were times that I was questioning why I did LL. "I thought I was done with LL, how long I have to keep doing this, this is taking so long". Today, I was better and did not question it. Also it is cold and cloudy where I live (In South Africa it was summer), that might be part of the reason why sometimes I feel this way. I bike daily at home (stationary bike).
Thanks for the emotional support guys (it really helps), please keep supporting me as I seem to need it.
don't have regrets about LL man... it's not bright on the other side either (as you know better than me). Soon this will all be history, like when you were young and smaller.

programdude

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »

Its natural to feel a little frustrated. At first recovery didn't bother me, but now it has taken so long frustration happens in various circumstances. Personally however there is no regret, just desire to be walking normally so I can start living life properly at my new height.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up