Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Plzen's journey Precice II , bilateral femurs (South Africa, Dr. Birkholtz)  (Read 39156 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Plzen's journey Precice II , bilateral femurs (South Africa, Dr. Birkholtz)
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »

Hi Plzen,

Congrats on taking a huge step toward your goal of being taller. How often do you get x-rays?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Plzen

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

Thank you Kilokahn. I have read part of your diary/journal and it has wealth of information especially for people considering Indian surgeons in the future.
I am getting x-rays every two weeks, but my first x-ray was taken about 8 days after the start of distraction (last week), and the doctor told me both nails are looking good and distracting.
I will have repeat x-ray next week.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 06:19:48 AM »

How exactly did you managed to get your pt back? By talking to Dr Birkholtz or the pt people?

Plzen

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

ShortyMcshort,
I emailed Dr. B. I wrote him the same thing as I wrote here on the forum (I need more PT, the package says that 75 days of daily PT is included). A couple of days later, he emailed me back and was sympathetic but did not say whether he would change my PT back to daily. Instead he said that he would "follow up".
I also discussed in person with Physical therapy boss. He told me that he had a meeting with the doctor that afternoon (Tuesday).
I found out Wednesday morning that my PT was changed back to daily, which made me a happy person.
I think, contacting the doctor helped more in terms of getting back my daily PT.

Plzen

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »

1.7cm

I still have pain/discomfort but it is mainly at night. The pain is usually in the Quad areas (left leg worse compared to right).
I am more mobile, using walker, in my room. I also train on stationary bike at the PT office (biking is free of charge).
I am able to cope better with social isolation, and I don't think about it anymore on daily basis. I try to keep myself busy with reading books, surfing internet, talk to my family via Skype, and sometimes watching TV.
I hope things will keep improving, and hopefully no setbacks.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »

Hi all,

Glad it's going better Plzen.

Yes it was me who changed the physio back. The issue is that they tend to individualize in our non-CLL patients and they thought they could do the same with you to save costs. Anyway, thats sorted and I am happy you are progressing well there.

I certainly have not stopped doing CLL. The rationale behind the limits is explained elsewhere, but I follow and individual approach and would encourage prospective patients to contact me directly to discuss.

Distraction rate is started at 1mm per day based on our experience with previous non-CLL patients, but is adjusted indvidually. Please discuss discomfort directly with the nurses so they can adjust your schedule.

Happy lengthening!

afonso

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 12:35:56 AM »

1.7cm

I still have pain/discomfort but it is mainly at night. The pain is usually in the Quad areas (left leg worse compared to right).
I am more mobile, using walker, in my room. I also train on stationary bike at the PT office (biking is free of charge).
I am able to cope better with social isolation, and I don't think about it anymore on daily basis. I try to keep myself busy with reading books, surfing internet, talk to my family via Skype, and sometimes watching TV.
I hope things will keep improving, and hopefully no setbacks.

Plzen good diary after the 1st 2 weeks isolation and sleepless nights were the worst part of the detracting phase.  Work, TV, blogging, and touching base with people back home all help but in the end you have to keep focus on the goal and visualize your new you.  Keep strong you can do it one day at a time!       

Plzen

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »

2.1 cm

The cramping pain is all disappeared. I am lengthening 0.25mm, 4 times per day (1mm/day). No pain at all with distraction anymore
Unfortunately I do have contstant aching pain, my sleep quality has gotten worse.

New Problem today
off and on numbness in the left shin area (it is not total numb, I still feel the skin but it just does not feel normal, it does not have full sensation). The physical therapist had shown me some exercises for  hamstring stretching and I was doing them wrong ( I was stretching more my calfs and behind my knee areas). I hope this numbness is due to those exercises that I was doing wrong and hopefully not due to distraction.  I will be seeing Dr. B the day after tomorrow and I will mention it to him. I am worried because I am doing ok otherwise and I don't want this numbness to be the cause of me not accomplishing my dream.
I will appreciate everyone's opinion especially LL Veterans.
Thanks

GeTs

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:21 PM »

Is femurs rate/day higher than tibia?

Plzen

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »

Yes Hallijah, femur is usually lengthened at 1mm/day (higher than tibia).

Left Shin numbness update
So I emailed Dr. Birkholtz this morning to let him know about the numbness feeling I am having. He emailed me back right away, and he instructed me to lengthen 0.5mm/day today. So today I have lengthened 0.5mm (0.25mm*2). I am going to be seeing Dr. Birkholtz tomorrow morning in his office.

I hope this issue resolves soon. The numbness itself is minor and not bothersome. But I am worried that it might get worse and it might force me to stop distraction (my dream of getting taller will be over).

TRS

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »

Yes Hallijah, femur is usually lengthened at 1mm/day (higher than tibia).

Left Shin numbness update
So I emailed Dr. Birkholtz this morning to let him know about the numbness feeling I am having. He emailed me back right away, and he instructed me to lengthen 0.5mm/day today. So today I have lengthened 0.5mm (0.25mm*2). I am going to be seeing Dr. Birkholtz tomorrow morning in his office.

I hope this issue resolves soon. The numbness itself is minor and not bothersome. But I am worried that it might get worse and it might force me to stop distraction (my dream of getting taller will be over).
What is the minimum target you'll be satisfied with?

Plzen

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »

TRS,
Let me not jinx myself. I hope this is a temporary issue. I hope I will reach 6.5cm to 7cm

programdude

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 02:09:34 AM »

2.1 cm

The cramping pain is all disappeared. I am lengthening 0.25mm, 4 times per day (1mm/day). No pain at all with distraction anymore
Unfortunately I do have contstant aching pain, my sleep quality has gotten worse.

New Problem today
off and on numbness in the left shin area (it is not total numb, I still feel the skin but it just does not feel normal, it does not have full sensation). The physical therapist had shown me some exercises for  hamstring stretching and I was doing them wrong ( I was stretching more my calfs and behind my knee areas). I hope this numbness is due to those exercises that I was doing wrong and hopefully not due to distraction.  I will be seeing Dr. B the day after tomorrow and I will mention it to him. I am worried because I am doing ok otherwise and I don't want this numbness to be the cause of me not accomplishing my dream.
I will appreciate everyone's opinion especially LL Veterans.
Thanks

The .25mm a day with no pain during the process but bad aches affecting sleep is totally normal so thats good news(although the sleep problems are rough).

As for the numbness I didn't experience this or meet many with the issue so it is hard to say. I am a bit worried due to them mismanaging the earlier part of your journey, but sincerely hope they can guide you in a way to get you to your dream.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Plzen

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »

Thank you programdude for your well wishes.

Update
My leg numbness is getting slightly better. I had x-ray yesterday, x-ray shows good bone regeneration (too good). Dr. B recommended 1mm/day lengthening, as long as the numbness is staying the same or decreasing. I have been doing that for the last 2 days (yesterday and today). Thankfully, my shin/leg numbness has not gotten worse, as I mentioned above it is slightly better. I have been doing more hamstring stretches which seems to be helping.

TRS

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »

I'm happy that your numbness is improving and X-rays came out fine. Stretching is the best thing you can do during distraction for both muscles and nerves. Btw what nail diameter did Dr.B insert?

Plzen

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »

Thanks TRS. Nail diameter=10.7mm

Plzen

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »

Update

3.2cm

-No pain with distraction. Distracting 0.25mm, 4 times per day
-I used to have muscle cramps, none of that anymore. Instead I have these constant muscle soreness in both legs, left is worse compared to right.

-New problem. Both knees want to bend especially left knee. So far I am able to keep them straight, but it is constant battle. I have to stretch a lot daily, to keep the knees from bending. I wake up multiple times each night because my knees are not happy to be straight. When I bend the knees then the discomfort goes away immediately.
-Physical therapy going ok, except it is harder. I have PT every weekdays. Except PT office closed many days during holidays.

afonso

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »

Hi Plzen,  I wouldn't get to worried about your bent knees do you best to stay ahead of it but once you stop lengthening they will straighten. I worried about my knees as well and can tell you that at 6 days after LL they are starting to become straighter.  I think in another week they should be back to normal.  Will keep you posted.   As for soreness that unfortunately is part of the process everyone, atleast the people doing Precice, experience constant soreness - very normal. 

Plzen

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

Thank you Afonso for kind words.
I will continue to stretch my knees. That is good to hear that your knee bend is getting better already.

axelf

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »

hey plzen,

hope everything's fine and your numbness gets better/fades off soon!

could you please give us a qucik interim conclusion? how is your treatment by birkholtz and his staff?

Plzen

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »

I thought people were not that interested in my diary so I was not updating it that often.

Update
4.2cm
-I sleep about 6 to 7 hours per night but wake up 2-3 times in the middle of night. My legs are tight especially at night and the leg tightness is the main reason for me waking up.

-ok with walker, I am quiet mobile in my room. walk to the bathroom a lot (drink a lot of water). walking actually makes my legs feel less

-Stationary bike everyday for about 30 to 40 minutes

- Appetite is good

-My mood is ok. I don't think about being lonely anymore. I keep myself busy with internet, talking on skype with family etc.

-Summary: my biggest complaint right now is legs tightness.

Plzen

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »

Axelf,
Dr. Birkholtz is very ethical and caring person. I know that my PT was reduced in the beginning. When I told him that I was not happy about the PT reduction, he changed it back to old schedule within couple of days, and has apologized more than once (about the PT reduction). My PT is back to normal.
So far I am happy I chose him.

The office (clinic) people are nice. After I got discharged from the hospital, two nurses (from Dr. Birkholtz office) came to the guest house every day to help me with cleaning/shaving etc. They did that for about a week. So I kind of got to know them.

PT staff are also nice. I have PT for an hour everyday, but I spend 2 to 2.5 hours there doing biking and stretches. PT is still 1 hour, the extra time I spend on my own. The staff knows me and they are always nice. One of the PT bosses (there are 3 bosses) invited me to her home (with her family) for part of the holidays because she was concerned I would be lonely in the guest house. I did not go, but the gesture was nice.

I hope, I answered your question.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:08:29 PM by Plzen »

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »

can you outline all of the stretches you do in those 2 hours.

thank you.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

Plzen

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 11:33:59 PM »

Forcedpuberty,

I stretch for about an hour everyday in the PT office. Let me clarify my previous post. I spend 2.5 hours at PT office, which means:
1 hour stretching+1hour PT+ 0.5 hr cycling= 2.5 hours

Because I am doing femur lengthening, I stretch mostly my Quadricip, hamstring. Lately, I am doing more lower hamstring stretches because I am having problems with knee bends.  If I had pictures, I would have pointed out exactly which stretches I am doing, but they are difficult to explain in words.  If I have more time, I might be able to elaborate more.

axelf

I thought people were not that interested in my diary so I was not updating it that often.

actually quite the opposite...

the first birkholtz's patient's diary is gone for privacy reasons and so yours is the first diary to introduce this new doctor (in the field of cosmetic limb lengthening)

so I think a lot of people would be so glad if you could continue and give us regular updates!

axelf

1. did dr birkholtz discuss the danger of future athritis with you?
2. what is his take on not working nails?
3. do you think "their" pain management is appropriate so far?
4. have you experienced any side effects from surgery trauma or medication like hair loss or other kind of reactions?

hope you don't mind the curiosity :-)

get well (and taller) soon!  :)

Plzen

Thanks for well wishes Axelf,

1- He did talk to me about possible increased risk of arthritis.
2-My nails are working fine. I think you are talking about the nail malfunction of one of his previous patients. I have not asked him about that case specifically. I can ask him next appointment.
3- Dr. B has tried to address my pain concerns adequately. Having said that, LL is not pain free process. Sometimes the pain medication works wonderfully, other times it does not. A lot of time,  it is not pain that bothers me, it is constant muscle tension (muscle pulling). Sometimes, I don't have pain but just don't feel good (sleepless, too sleepy etc.)
4-Nothing unusual. I have buttock+legs muscle loss, which I was expecting. After surgery, for about 2 weeks, my appetite was very bad. It has gotten better (almost back to normal).

Nicki

• Visitor

How much did Dr.B charge for the Precise nail surgery?

Plzen

Nicki,
Dr. B offers a package. Go to "Doctor section" on this site and look under his name. Package and price information is on page 1.

ShortyMcShort

Do you think 3 months is enough time to lengthen 7cms?

Plzen

ShortyMcshort,
If no complications then 90 days is enough time. South Africa gives visa by days, in my case 90 days visa.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up