Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faster healing and recovery?  (Read 7405 times)

Alittletooshort

Faster healing and recovery?
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »

What do you think about the method that involves lengthening from two cuts? From what I read it´s about 40% faster than conventional Ilizarov, what is your opinion? I know that there is obviously a little more risk involved, but what If I´d do only 3-4 cms on my tibias  and be done in 2-3 months.

ant

Re: Faster healing and recovery?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »

Why do you think all surgeons are NOT offering this style of treatment?????? answer your own question in 2 minutes

It's dangerous, problems will occur just to save a little bit of time.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »

My surgeon said it's a bad idea for cosmetic lengthening. Double cut osteotomies are done in corrections sometimes, like when the bone is bent like a bow, but it just causes problems for a cosmetic case. For one thing, problems you can get during lengthening such as equinus contracture happen more easily with the double cut method. And problems such as having bad regenerate will happen in both osteotomy sites instead of one site with the single osteotomy, effectively making your issues twice as bad.

It's almost always the case that one osteotomy site will heal before the other too, meaning you're not going to be healing faster than someone with a single osteotomy. There have been studies which suggest that the double cut method doesn't result in any statistically significant speed up in recovery time compared to single cut osteotomy. So you're just giving yourself more issues by doing it.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ItsMyLife

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »

My surgeon said it's a bad idea for cosmetic lengthening. Double cut osteotomies are done in corrections sometimes, like when the bone is bent like a bow, but it just causes problems for a cosmetic case. For one thing, problems you can get during lengthening such as equinus contracture happen more easily with the double cut method. And problems such as having bad regenerate will happen in both osteotomy sites instead of one site with the single osteotomy, effectively making your issues twice as bad.

It's almost always the case that one osteotomy site will heal before the other too, meaning you're not going to be healing faster than someone with a single osteotomy. There have been studies which suggest that the double cut method doesn't result in any statistically significant speed up in recovery time compared to single cut osteotomy. So you're just giving yourself more issues by doing it.

good logical answer :)

Alittletooshort

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »

OK that was what I wanted to hear! I already abandoned the idea of doing it with two cuts.

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »

lengthening from two cuts means that the bone is cut into 3 and the corners are pulled apart from the middle piece of bone at the same rate as the single osteotomy does so that you get more height each day? Is that what it means?

Taller

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

lengthening from two cuts means that the bone is cut into 3 and the corners are pulled apart from the middle piece of bone at the same rate as the single osteotomy does so that you get more height each day? Is that what it means?

This or they are each lengthened at half the normal rate in order to promote faster consolidation issues for those who have naturally terrible consolidation, like many Chinese patients of Dr. Xia had a few years ago.

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:11 AM »

This or they are each lengthened at half the normal rate in order to promote faster consolidation issues for those who have naturally terrible consolidation, like many Chinese patients of Dr. Xia had a few years ago.

I thought I read that if you lengthen too slow it could accidentally heal? I wouldn't risk having to re-open my bones so if I ever choose 2 cuts I will request the same lengthening speed that the single cut currently does.
Also I am confused, if someone isn't a good healer how will cutting their bones into 3 pieces be safe/safer?

Where can I see a video of this procedure( 2 cuts)?

galaxy1

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 06:49:07 AM »

I thought it had already long been proven that double cut lengthening absolutely does not work. It may be suitable for trauma cases, but cosmetic it hasn't shown to be of any benefit at all. It seems like nothing more than alot of tinkering with patients. About all it does is make leg lengthening much more painful.

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »

I thought it had already long been proven that double cut lengthening absolutely does not work. It may be suitable for trauma cases, but cosmetic it hasn't shown to be of any benefit at all. It seems like nothing more than alot of tinkering with patients. About all it does is make leg lengthening much more painful.

There has to be medication that can dull the pain and also in one of the forums I read a guy never took his medicine he left it in his drawer.

galaxy1

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »

There has to be medication that can dull the pain and also in one of the forums I read a guy never took his medicine he left it in his drawer.
Relying on medication should be avoided if at all possible, especially increased dosages. There's also issues such as equinus contracture when your lengthening too fast. Double osteotomies also don't save time, they don't make the process go any faster, more complications arise, so there really is no point in using this method.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 11:13:17 PM »

Kurgan does it, and they founded the Ilizarov technique. I imagine there has to be something to it if. Kurgan does it cosmetically.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Puertoricanwasp123

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »

Kurgan does it, and they founded the Ilizarov technique. I imagine there has to be something to it if. Kurgan does it cosmetically.

Maybe to get more clients so as long as it's relatively safe and profitable more Doctors will do it too.

galaxy1

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 11:30:46 PM »

Has it been successful there?  Did you not see Silvertigers diary? Poor guy, his goal was 7 cm, but left with just 4 cm, and he is just five feet tall.

Overdozer

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8156692
>Paley D, Suter C.
>Radiographs and charts of 114 consecutive patients who underwent 140 lower-extremity bone-segment lengthening procedures using the Ilizarov external fixator were reviewed. Patient age, bone segment (femur, tibia), corticotomy level (metaphyseal, diaphyseal, double level), and distraction gap (DG) were recorded
>Double-level lengthening reduced the DCT when the DG was greater than 4 cm

http://www.llrs.org/PDFs/Annual%20Meeting%20Presentations/Friday%20Meeting/12.Cherkashin.pdf
Second distraction regenerate increases overall blood flow to the extremity

Faster consolidation and remodeling of the initial lengthening site

Overall treatment time less than 30 day per cm of lengthening
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

galaxy1

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8156692
>Paley D, Suter C.
>Radiographs and charts of 114 consecutive patients who underwent 140 lower-extremity bone-segment lengthening procedures using the Ilizarov external fixator were reviewed. Patient age, bone segment (femur, tibia), corticotomy level (metaphyseal, diaphyseal, double level), and distraction gap (DG) were recorded
>Double-level lengthening reduced the DCT when the DG was greater than 4 cm

http://www.llrs.org/PDFs/Annual%20Meeting%20Presentations/Friday%20Meeting/12.Cherkashin.pdf

More blood flow to the extremity and faster healing of the distraction gap (DG) does make sense but your still over stressing the tissues. It's something that's much more tolerable with femurs I can agree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up