Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Permanent effects of LL  (Read 241117 times)

Re: Permanent effects of LL
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »

Alright thanks for the answers and I can definitely relate to height-neurosis being a mental thing -I used to feel just great about myself as well.

Crimsontide are you saying that it is mostly individual and some people have problems and some people don't? Are there some things that can help your recovery and are there complications that can arise later after the surgery?

123 what doctor did you go to and do you have any tips for people that haven't done the operation yet?

I won't tell you the name of my doc because privacy reason and even if I did, he doesn't do LL on people above 160cm, I was a rare exception. My tip would be not to do it at all but I think I told you that a few times  ;D

But I want to help you, so just choose your doc carefully, there isn't really something else you can do, you will be completely depended on him. So don't to India, Russia or whatever. Do it in Sweden, go to your nearest hospital and arrange a date with an orthopedic and talk with him. He will be happy to help, maybe you get lucky like I did and he will do it on you and if not, you can ask him all the questions instead of wasting your time on this forum talking to incompetent people. Or ask your personal doc for the best leg deformity surgeon in your area and that you want to talk to him or with some orthopedics about LL, just do it like I did. No need to be ashamed of that, do that or you will end up somewhere in India and you will regret LL for the rest of your life.

LifeReloaded

• height is life
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2015, 11:02:23 PM »

It comes out of two ways - either you're cured or crippled.

Flip a coin

even with a good doctor like Paley/Guichet and training your flexibility months before?? This is nonsense...

The real answer is that it varies by the individual. If you are athletic, exercise and stretch regularly, have a good doctor doing the procedure, and have a positive outlook during lengthening, you will find it very rewarding. I myself haven't lengthened yet but from reading the diaries of ppl that were lengthened by good doctors, I can tell that you will be more happy if you put 100% effort into it and focus on your goal.

I don't get why so many people on this forum have a self-defeating attitude of potentially being "crippled" and worry about all the possible complications in the world. Get off your ass, and train your legs and flexibility at least a year before your surgery. Stay active. If lengthening was easy, then everyone would be doing it but it takes hard work and if you're not willing to give it your all, then frankly you don't deserve to be taller in the first place.

starting height: 172.2 cm (5'8")

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »

even with a good doctor like Paley/Guichet and training your flexibility months before?? This is nonsense...

The real answer is that it varies by the individual. If you are athletic, exercise and stretch regularly, have a good doctor doing the procedure, and have a positive outlook during lengthening, you will find it very rewarding. I myself haven't lengthened yet but from reading the diaries of ppl that were lengthened by good doctors, I can tell that you will be more happy if you put 100% effort into it and focus on your goal.

I don't get why so many people on this forum have a self-defeating attitude of potentially being "crippled" and worry about all the possible complications in the world. Get off your ass, and train your legs and flexibility at least a year before your surgery. Stay active. If lengthening was easy, then everyone would be doing it but it takes hard work and if you're not willing to give it your all, then frankly you don't deserve to be taller in the first place.

Mentally

It's mostly a mental game. We created this in our heads, and can only be resolved in our heads, which is altered by our experiences.

It's our choice to take and decrease the risks as much as possible through quality effort and treatment.

However, it's only to create the experience in our effort and image to put the beholder in ourselves.
5"6 and proud

crimsontide

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2015, 11:47:25 PM »

uppland,

i'm saying that almost everyone comes out ok

I don't see many diaries of those tat went india  regretting it... the majority are ok

I personally did nothing special to prepare, and hardly walked while lengthening... I know medium drink has said he rarely walked too, and he's ok as well...

there are drs in russia and india that do the operation correctly....And getting it done  in europe or america dosnt guarantee zero complications...

this operation is actually relatively simple.... and the correction I might need to get even simpler

ilizarov in particular has been around a while now, and extensivelystudied ... as long as you find a dr that has a good ammount of experience, you will be ok

programdude

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 12:35:58 AM »

Looking forward to weighing in as I recover.

Having done 8 CM, I can say for starters that my fully healed legs leg press and movements feel great.

My only issue is some pain in lower left leg and rather tight hip flexors with duckass, both of which should likely be resolved soon.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

ItsMyLife

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2015, 01:05:24 AM »

was it 8 cm taking into account any pin bending?

apparently some people lose 3-5 mm.

please do let us know if you can still run..problems with nerve injury has been documented by paley et  al, the common peroneal nerve.. which may result in delayed athletic response times,etc

ItsMyLife

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2015, 01:19:55 AM »

uppland,

i'm saying that almost everyone comes out ok

I don't see many diaries of those tat went india  regretting it... the majority are ok

I personally did nothing special to prepare, and hardly walked while lengthening... I know medium drink has said he rarely walked too, and he's ok as well...

there are drs in russia and india that do the operation correctly....And getting it done  in europe or america dosnt guarantee zero complications...

this operation is actually relatively simple.... and the correction I might need to get even simpler

ilizarov in particular has been around a while now, and extensivelystudied ... as long as you find a dr that has a good ammount of experience, you will be ok

i agree..

Uppland

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »

@123 That is actually great advice, I'll admit I am a bit nervous of how the doctor will react -he certainly will not perform the operation on me as it is illegal for cosmetic reasons here but whatever he could tell me helps thanks for the tip.

@crimsontide I'm sorry but what do you mean with "ok" I have accepted that the surgery may be with me my whole life but I couldn't accept not being able to do stuff like climbing mountains, running long distances, skiing on steep slopes etc. That would make me feel cippled even if I technically wasn't. So that's what I'm really worried about.

Of course I would do everything in my power to recover best I could. I'll start stretching tomorrow actually -as soon as I learn what kind of stretches I should do. Does anyone know?

programdude

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2015, 02:57:07 AM »

was it 8 cm taking into account any pin bending?

apparently some people lose 3-5 mm.

please do let us know if you can still run..problems with nerve injury has been documented by paley et  al, the common peroneal nerve.. which may result in delayed athletic response times,etc

Went with internal femurs.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Moubgf

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2015, 03:16:34 AM »

I won't tell you the name of my doc because privacy reason and even if I did, he doesn't do LL on people above 160cm, I was a rare exception. My tip would be not to do it at all but I think I told you that a few times  ;D

But I want to help you, so just choose your doc carefully, there isn't really something else you can do, you will be completely depended on him. So don't to India, Russia or whatever. Do it in Sweden, go to your nearest hospital and arrange a date with an orthopedic and talk with him. He will be happy to help, maybe you get lucky like I did and he will do it on you and if not, you can ask him all the questions instead of wasting your time on this forum talking to incompetent people. Or ask your personal doc for the best leg deformity surgeon in your area and that you want to talk to him or with some orthopedics about LL, just do it like I did. No need to be ashamed of that, do that or you will end up somewhere in India and you will regret LL for the rest of your life.

whats the name of the doctor who did your surgery? /pm

ItsMyLife

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:11 AM »

@123 That is actually great advice, I'll admit I am a bit nervous of how the doctor will react -he certainly will not perform the operation on me as it is illegal for cosmetic reasons here but whatever he could tell me helps thanks for the tip.

@crimsontide I'm sorry but what do you mean with "ok" I have accepted that the surgery may be with me my whole life but I couldn't accept not being able to do stuff like climbing mountains, running long distances, skiing on steep slopes etc. That would make me feel cippled even if I technically wasn't. So that's what I'm really worried about.

Of course I would do everything in my power to recover best I could. I'll start stretching tomorrow actually -as soon as I learn what kind of stretches I should do. Does anyone know?

how long are u post-op? and how many months post frame removal?
once u can do contact sports, try plyometrics.... it builds up muscle reaction times, speed and power....
but i just read disturbing information from paley et al that nerve damage might result in slow reaction times for the muscles..
very disturbing

Disobedient

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »

are you the same 12345 in the old forum ?

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

are you the same 12345 in the old forum ?

No.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:56 PM »

I doubt there are any long-term effects from ll with a good doctor, safe protocols, etc. The little research that exists in area of cosmetic ll seems to show that there are few-to-no long-term effects of the procedure. As for Sweden, it's important to remember that he got his surgery with Dr. Sarin the butcher.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Uppland

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »

I doubt there are any long-term effects from ll with a good doctor, safe protocols, etc. The little research that exists in area of cosmetic ll seems to show that there are few-to-no long-term effects of the procedure. As for Sweden, it's important to remember that he got his surgery with Dr. Sarin the butcher.

Well that is true but I also feel like it's the norm on this forum to gloss over the real negative and focusing on the gain. It's a coping strategy I understand but I don't want us to ever get to the point where we ignore serious concerns like motor function, nerve damage, permanent pain etc.

It does happen: Medium Drink has knee pain and reduced fatigue maybe nothing too serious but it will still be with him for the rest of his life. Sweden has reduced motor function and agility -he had a bad experience sure but those can happen with all doctors. I'm sure Sweden walked into Dr Sarins office thinking he was in safe hands.

Some of the brightest diaries like OBG's feauture videos that show him moving seemingly like normal and yet he says he only regained 75-80% of his running ability after two years -he did 6CM internal femur and is considered one of the more successful ones.

This is a life altering surgery -hopefully for the better but I, at least, want to be very clear about what I'm walking in to before I go for it.

endomorphisme

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »

Well that is true but I also feel like it's the norm on this forum to gloss over the real negative and focusing on the gain. It's a coping strategy I understand but I don't want us to ever get to the point where we ignore serious concerns like motor function, nerve damage, permanent pain etc.

It does happen: Medium Drink has knee pain and reduced fatigue maybe nothing too serious but it will still be with him for the rest of his life. Sweden has reduced motor function and agility -he had a bad experience sure but those can happen with all doctors. I'm sure Sweden walked into Dr Sarins office thinking he was in safe hands.

Some of the brightest diaries like OBG's feauture videos that show him moving seemingly like normal and yet he says he only regained 75-80% of his running ability after two years -he did 6CM internal femur and is considered one of the more successful ones.

This is a life altering surgery -hopefully for the better but I, at least, want to be very clear about what I'm walking in to before I go for it.

80 percent is not that bad, but both did 7 cm which is maybe too much, especially for tibia.
I hope there will be more people who will do 4 or 5 cm, this is what i'm aiming for, so i need to know if it's safer or not.
And oldiebutgoldie has not updated his diary for 4 months, i hope he will catches us up on his recovery

ReadRothbard

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2015, 07:28:50 PM »

Looking forward to weighing in as I recover.

Having done 8 CM, I can say for starters that my fully healed legs leg press and movements feel great.

My only issue is some pain in lower left leg and rather tight hip flexors with duckass, both of which should likely be resolved soon.

I'm really happy for you, man! To be almost fully recovered after only about four months and 8 cm is fantastic!
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

ReadRothbard

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »

There is nothing to say that Medium Drink's knee pain actually comes from the surgery. There could be other factors at work.

Sweden also entire with Dr. Sarin, whom is the worst excuse for an ll doctor that these forums have ever seen.

OBG says his running speed is back up to "90% compared to before", and that was before his rods were removed about three months ago. It's also important to remember that he wasn't a young man in the prime of his life; he was 45, so recovering from surgeries is naturally going to be a little harder.

The research amongst young peoples whom get cosmetic ll, 20s to 30s, seems to show no long-term side effects/impairments.

Future space tycoon

joax

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »

The research amongst young peoples whom get cosmetic ll, 20s to 30s, seems to show no long-term side effects/impairments.

I'm very interested in this research. Care to share the link?

Thanks

ReadRothbard

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »

I've only seen these two studies so far. But, the results look very promising:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25183215

http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/87-B/10/1402

Future space tycoon

joax

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »

Very interesting indeed. Almost all the patients had a positive outcome according to those studies. Not it's all about finding the right doctor.

crimsontide

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2015, 03:09:25 PM »

its not all about the right dr... but, if you have the money, go to rozbruch

I'll post my experience soon about him

Joel

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »

I am 5'5 and i am going to do probably 5 on my tibia in the next year but will I do 6 or 7 ?  Bitch I'm 5'5 who the fk wants to be 5'7?  I'm 22 and I am going to be done with my master's degree in November I can't be happy at 5'5.  Hate people the way they treat me and  .  I really just don't care about it either 5'9 is my ultimate goal but being closet to 5'10 is ideal.
5'5 manlet of peace

Taller

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »

I am 5'5 and i am going to do probably 5 on my tibia in the next year but will I do 6 or 7 ?  Bitch I'm 5'5 who the fk wants to be 5'7?  I'm 22 and I am going to be done with my master's degree in November I can't be happy at 5'5.  Hate people the way they treat me and crap.  I really just don't care about it either 5'9 is my ultimate goal but being closet to 5'10 is ideal.

5.5CM on your tibiae and 7CM on your femurs and you'll be set for life.

KrP1

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »

you should do 7 cm, 172 is a decent height and you avoid the trauma of a second procedure

mini_me

• Visitor
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2015, 08:33:35 PM »

you guys, especially the ones that never did lengthening are simply wrong... there are no definites first of all

i lengthened over 7 cm... i lewngthened more than .66 mm a day often...

guess what... I'm in no pain, and on no painkillers... ill see dr agaon on wed, but i'm pretty sure im ok

I can already walk. etc etc

i might need to realign my left leg, which is a bit annoying, but other than that... and a very tiny amount of numbness that seems to be going away(already cant even notice it unless i consciuously think of it)... and  it has zero impact on function

Will I be 100%... well, Considering the fact that I, as well as most others, never pushed our bodies to ithe maximum anyway, I doubt it even matters

For most people, while technically they will  not be 100%, for all intents and purposes, they will not even notice theres a difference

the people that have done ll, ask them if they regret it, almost all will confidently say no...

I know I don't regret it... even with the potential of fixing one last issue... for me to regret it, I'd have to suffer loss of a limb or  motor function

Being short sucks

Needing a second surgery is not an example of someone who has no problems from LL surgery and in a more current post, you are now in recovery from surgery again. So you're not exactly a fully recovered patient without complications and certainly can't speak about longterm problems. http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=634.450

Cautionary Threads like these are important because there are many people who aren't as embittered by their heights as you are/were…. even at your previous height. They are those who may change their minds about this surgery and decide it isn't worth the risks or that your current post-op recoveries are not what they consider an acceptable trade-off for them.

You hate being short so much that you're probably more optimistic about any problems you're experiencing that others who are not as unhappy would be.

Medium Drink of Water has posted that he is satisfied with his decision to have LL surgery even though it had consequences. He reveals all the problems he's had and still has because he understands that what is a good result for him might be considered a poor result by someone else. He doesn't seem to have any problems with people being forewarned about complications or even emphasizing them.

There's no need to be annoyed if someone else decides that this type of surgery isn't worth it and doesn't go thru with it.
Someone who hates his stature as much as you did will do this surgery regardless of how many warning threads are posted so it isn't meant for you. Some people would rather be dead than to keep living as a short person but others just want to get taller only if it makes common sense for them.

Believe me, there are times when I absolutely hate my height but I want to know as much about the consequences as possible.
Your own experience with LL and needing a second surgery may not be a problem for you, but it would be for me. I will need to read about the average patient experiencing more successful surgeries than your own to consider this for myself.

heightangel

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »

Needing a second surgery is not an example of someone who has no problems from LL surgery and in a more current post, you are now in recovery from surgery again. So you're not exactly a fully recovered patient without complications and certainly can't speak about longterm problems. http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=634.450

Cautionary Threads like these are important because there are many people who aren't as embittered by their heights as you are/were…. even at your previous height. They are the ones who may change their minds about this surgery and decide it isn't worth the risks or that your recovery that you are happy with  is not what they consider an acceptable trade-off for them.

You hate being short so much that you're probably more optimistic about any problems you're experiencing that others who are not as unhappy would be.

Medium Drink of Water has posted that he is satisfied with his decision to have LL surgery even though it had consequences. He reveals all the problems he's had and still has because he understands that what is a good result for him might be considered a poor result by someone else.

There's no need to be annoyed if someone else decides that this type of surgery isn't worth it and doesn't go thru with it.
Someone who hates his stature as much as you did will do this surgery regardless of how many warning threads are posted so it isn't meant for you. Some people would rather be dead than to keep living as a short person but others just want to get taller only if it makes common sense for them.

Believe me, there are times when I absolutely hate my height but I want to know as much about the consequences as possible.
Your own experience with LL and needing a second surgery may not be a problem for you, but it would be for me. I will need to read about the average patient experiencing more successful surgeries than your own to consider this for myself.

Very wise words

Morgenst.

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »

I am 5'5 and i am going to do probably 5 on my tibia in the next year but will I do 6 or 7 ?  Bitch I'm 5'5 who the fk wants to be 5'7?  I'm 22 and I am going to be done with my master's degree in November I can't be happy at 5'5.  Hate people the way they treat me and crap.  I really just don't care about it either 5'9 is my ultimate goal but being closet to 5'10 is ideal.

I'd want to be 5'7 bro rather than my current 5'3. Don't let your goals to get your head man 5'7 is average short but you won't get laughed at unless your personality sucks. Personally I've been humbled a lot on this forum by dudes who are two to five inches shorter than myself and will never reach 5'7

crimsontide

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

what is this post???

are u joking???

let me make it very short

1- i never stated i had no issues... those are yours words which you need to make up to have a basis for this long post

2-i have no idea why this post was even made... i constantly state no one will ever be 100%

i can't stand these long  posts that can be written in a sentence or two

very simply, heres  how it goes

almost no one will recover 100%

almost everyone   who has ll will function normally again... unless they do something like 10-12 cm... and almost everyone that gets this surgery does not regret it... even the biggest complainers like sweden  don't regret it

read more posts ,  then post

btw, you obviously hate your height... that is why you're spending time on this forum... i did hate my height, but I don't now

crimsontide

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »

joel,

if youre 5'5, 5'8 or so is a realistic goal

5-10 is too much, 5-9 even is a bit much

big difference between 5'5 and 5'8

DoingItForMe

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »

You can be happy at 5'5. I know this because I'm 5'5 and in my late 20s. Let me explain something to you since you're 22. People your age are superficial and haven't prioritized other characteristics of people over looks yet. That's why you feel the pain of being short more. It gets better when you're older. Much better especially if you make a lot of money and have a funny/fun personality. Trust me on this. You can spent the next few years always looking at your height and being sad. Or you can work on the other aspects of your life like I did and be an amazing person despite your height.

I'm only getting LL because I don't like the way I look, and not because of the way people treat me. I'm actually well respected and have a lot of followers on social media. When the rest of you is great, people won't care about your height. Look at that short guy at Game of Thrones. Well respected. Even Tom Cruise at 5'7 is respected. People make fun of him for his height and religion, but you got to admit that he makes interesting movies. And if they still don't respect you solely because of your height, then they're superficial. And you probably don't want to be friends with those people anyway. Don't let other people's opinions about you make you do stupid things like overlengthening. It's called peer pressure. And many dumb people injured themselves and/or died because of it. And for what? To impress people who you don't even care about? Believe me when I say this: You will stop caring about these people after a while. At your age, you're probably struggling for attention because you haven't yet established yourself as somebody yet. And you're frustrated that nobody is paying you attention. Guess what? Everyone at your age is probably suffering from this (minus the super attractive people). Don't let being short be the excuse as to why you can't be happy. You're still taller than 50% of the girls. That's not a bad dating pool size.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up