Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anesthesia May Kill Brain Cells in Humans, Causing Cognitive Problems  (Read 11539 times)

Sean Connery

• Newbi

I've always hated the idea of anesthesia, and reading this makes me reconsider more about doing leg lengthening because of the requirement of anesthesia. Thinking of how many times you need to have anesthesia just for one leg lengthening (possibly three times if you get LON and want the nails removed later), imagine how much brain cell destruction you can have after doing multiple leg lengthenings. I found this topic interesting but a bit frightening.

Anesthesia May Kill Brain Cells in Humans, Causing Cognitive Problems

The brain cells in mice responsible for memory and learning, called dentate gyrus,were killed when anesthesia was administered. Researchers believe anesthesia can have this effect on humans too.

Everyone knows that there are risks involved with undergoing surgery, but according to a new study, anesthesia may cause some people to lose their memory.

Researchers wanted to examine whether changes occurred not only in immature, developing cells of kids' brains, but also in the mature cells of adult brains. To test if these changes actually occurred, they injected newborn, juvenile, and adult mice with an anesthetic called isoflurane and found that it was toxic to a cell that help control memory and learning, called dentate gyrus, according to Everyday Health.

"We demonstrate that anesthesia-induced cell death in neurons is not limited to the immature brain, as previously believed," Andreas Loepke, study author and researcher in the department of anesthesiology at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, said. "Instead, vulnerability seems to target neurons of a certain age and maturational stage. This finding brings us a step closer to understanding the phenomenon's underlying mechanism."

"We found something very interesting, in that cell death occurred in the spot where the dentate gyrus forms new neurons," Loepke told Fox News.

The researchers say more research is necessary in order to find the root cause and impact of anesthesia-related cell death.

"During development, [we] form twice as many neurons as we need as an adult. The brain needs to be pruned back to properly function," Loepke said. "So it's currently unknown whether anesthesia kills neurons that would have been eliminated anyways from the brain or neurons later needed for vital function."

Although these findings occurred in mice, experts believe the effect is likely to be the same in humans.

Doctors already tell patients that there may be small changes in their mental capacity after surgery, but the chances are small — only eight percent of patients have mental problems three months later, according to Dr. Jeffrey Silverstein, professor of anesthesiology, Surgery and Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City.

"Research shows that if you're exposed to these agents during the time neurons are growing, it disrupts their development," Dr. Silverstein told Everyday Health. "But this is the first paper indicting that this happens in adults."

These findings could have also contributed to the effects of anesthesia on older people that were reported last week from another study, which found that general anesthesia can increase the risk of dementia and the development of neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease.

They associated the initial decline in cognitive function, known as postoperative cognitive dysfunction (POCD), with promoting neuroinflammatory reactions in the brain, causing the brain's cells to degenerate.

The researchers concluded that preoperative evaluations should be taken of the elderly before administering anesthesia, however, based on the evidence from Loepke's study, doctors may want to consider these steps for people of all ages.

"You can't section a human brain," Loepke said, "... But if it were occurring in humans, we would predict that anesthetics affect neurons in patients of all ages."

Source:

Loepke A, Rylon H, Deng M, et al. Cell age-specific vulnerability of neurons to anesthetic toxicity. Annals of Neurology. June 2013. Accessed June 5, 2013.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/anesthesia-may-kill-brain-cells-humans-causing-cognitive-problems-after-surgery-246554
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

ouroboros

Re: Anesthesia May Kill Brain Cells in Humans, Causing Cognitive Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »

Like everything in life, there is going to be a risk.  I think most people would be concerned about being crippled before being worried about losing some brain cells.

There is evidence that smoking, cell phone usage and processed food cause cancer, but yet that doesn't seem to stop people from doing what they want to do.

You have a point though, it's just one more risk with LL.

YellowSpike

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »

There are lots of risks when doing LL, it's probably the riskiest cosmetic procedure out there easily. Anything anesthesia related didn't even register on my radar lol.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »

It appears to only be memory loss, though. The article doesn't say anything about anesthesia affecting spatial, logical, or mathematical skills.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:15:48 AM »

Just imagine you get memory loss from the anesthesia and wake up in frames not knowing why you're there or what has happened to you   :D
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 02:42:40 AM »

Just imagine you get memory loss from the anesthesia and wake up in frames not knowing why you're there or what has happened to you   :D
Lol your imagination like sci fi horror movies

FutureLengthener

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »

Looking at this in addition to the "Recovery" section on the anesthesia article on wiki, I'm really not too worried. It appears that theres the highest risk of this stuff happening after cardiac surgery, and when it does happen, the type of brain dysfunction is pretty compartmentalized and tends to ebb away with time. When I do LL I'll be much more worried about losing a leg than this happening.

programdude

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »

There are some seriously more intimidating risks than that. Heck anesthesia can kill you, and if you live through that embolism can kill you, then you've gotta hope for no complications and a good recovery which can be a feat even for the healthy and athletic.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

ItsMyLife

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »

A thai plastic surgeon once told me as I witnessed my girlfriend go under the knife for more than 7 hours. He said as with anything there is risk. If you walk across the road, you might get hit by a car. And you might die from that, as there is no medical assistance rendered immediately. However, in a medical setting, everything is under medical control. He thinks it is safer under anesthesia compared to walking around in Thailand.

Sean Connery

• Newbi
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »

There are some seriously more intimidating risks than that. Heck anesthesia can kill you, and if you live through that embolism can kill you, then you've gotta hope for no complications and a good recovery which can be a feat even for the healthy and athletic.

I think people are largely correct when they say cosmetic lengtheners are a little nuts when you consider how many things can go wrong and how long it takes to get a few extra inches of height. I guess i'm a little crazy too.
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

YellowSpike

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »

I think people are largely correct when they say cosmetic lengtheners are a little nuts when you consider how many things can go wrong and how long it takes to get a few extra inches of height. I guess i'm a little crazy too.

Yeah, we are all a little nuts, that's for damn sure.  ;)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »

Crazy, yet also ambitious. A good combo for those with success on their mind.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

joax

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »

Not a problem if you do epidural anesthesia. I've been researching the effects of anesthesia on the brain for a while (since I'm going to have surgery in the near future) and the risks are higher on older patients. The risk for young people is only about 8% to develop memory loss 3 months after surgery, and there's no indication that the effects are permanent.

programdude

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »

Its crazy, but not as crazy as spending your one life in a body you aren't happy with.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=2636

that article is just to get you up to speed on the issue.

if you do your research you will find 2% of epidural patients get permanent back pain for the rest of their life.

the exception is epidural during labor which increases it to 8% with permanent back pain.

The report concluded that of every hundred women who have an epidural during labour, eight will `develop long-term backache as a direct consequence.'

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

YellowSpike

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 04:35:58 AM »

Its crazy, but not as crazy as spending your one life in a body you aren't happy with.

And this is exactly why I did LL after a year of mulling it over. Regardless of the all the risks, I knew I'd ultimately never fully get over the height thing.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »

And this is exactly why I did LL after a year of mulling it over. Regardless of the all the risks, I knew I'd ultimately never fully get over the height thing.

Same here; even though I could probably live a great life only being about 5'6.5-5'7", it still is going go bother me that I never reached my natural height of 6'0+.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:29 AM »

Same here; even though I could probably live a great life only being about 5'6.5-5'7", it still is going go bother me that I never reached my natural height of 6'0+.

Do you know for sure that your "natural height" was supposed to be 6'+?

Your starting height isn't that bad, actually. If I were 5'7" to begin with, I don't know if I would have felt the need to do LL. If you get ripped and dress nicely, as long as you're not ugly (not saying anything about you, just in general), you can do totally fine. I don't know, most 5'7" guys I know don't appear all that short to me. I think it's 5'6" and below when guys start appearing very short, regardless of their build or how they dress. LoL I mean hell, after LL, I'm a friggin' inch taller than you, so 5'7" can't be all bad!

ReadRothbard

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:13 AM »

Do you know for sure that your "natural height" was supposed to be 6'+?

Your starting height isn't that bad, actually. If I were 5'7" to begin with, I don't know if I would have felt the need to do LL. If you get ripped and dress nicely, as long as you're not ugly (not saying anything about you, just in general), you can do totally fine. I don't know, most 5'7" guys I know don't appear all that short to me. I think it's 5'6" and below when guys start appearing very short, regardless of their build or how they dress. LoL I mean hell, after LL, I'm a friggin' inch taller than you, so 5'7" can't be all bad!

Well, my mother is about 5'6 and my father 6'0-6'1, so my predicted height at birth was about 6'0. My growth curve between ages 0-2 and ages 2-13 would've put me at a predicted height of exactly 6'1.5". The only thing that changed was that I suddenly fell off my growth curve after age 13. Before age 13, I was in the 97th percentile of height; afterwards, I fell to the 10th percentile.

Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 01:57:02 AM »

Well, my mother is about 5'6 and my father 6'0-6'1, so my predicted height at birth was about 6'0. My growth curve between ages 0-2 and ages 2-13 would've put me at a predicted height of exactly 6'1.5". The only thing that changed was that I suddenly fell off my growth curve after age 13. Before age 13, I was in the 97th percentile of height; afterwards, I fell to the 10th percentile.

That's rough man. I can see how you feel robbed of being a certain height. I was always short and well below the curve for guys my age lol. My mom is like 5'1" and my dad is 5'6" if he's lucky...so I never had a chance lol I'm lucky I wasn't even shorter to begin with. 't just didn't bother me until I started to date and hook up with girls. But it always bothered me from around age 15 and out.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:20:45 AM by YellowSpike »

Uppland

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 02:14:46 AM »

You're lucky that you ended up with so short legs though. From your pictures it looks like the only thing holding you back proportion-wise is your arms and hands.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 06:33:27 AM »

You're lucky that you ended up with so short legs though. From your pictures it looks like the only thing holding you back proportion-wise is your arms and hands.

Do you think my hands are too small and arms too short?

Future space tycoon

Taller

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »

Your hands are not too small but your arms are definitely too short based on the mockups you posted.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 07:21:10 AM »

Eh, that's not too much of a problem for me. Are you sure you aren't looking at my 6'6 mockup?

Future space tycoon

Taller

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

Eh, that's not too much of a problem for me. Are you sure you aren't looking at my 6'6 mockup?

I was looking at your 6'1-6'2 mockup.

Uppland

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

Both I'm afraid.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 01:05:35 AM »

Both I'm afraid.

Eh--I can live with that. I don't mind being tall with short arms.

Future space tycoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up