Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do you think about LON  (Read 4910 times)

JP

what do you think about LON
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »

Hello,

Below I've found information about LON and I’m afraid that this sounds like no good will come out of it.
Have any of you done LON femurs? What are your thoughts about this?

http://www.ilizarovjordan.com/                                 
F.A.Q

"Why you use only external fixators for limb lengthening? What you think about combination approach for lengthening and lengthening over nail technique?"

"The main reasons to refuse this combination are:
Combination of intramedullary nail insertion and external fixation is an easy approach for the doctor, but not for the patient at all……WHY?
Because the Ilizarov philosophy is based on "maximum stability with minimum vessels and other tissue damage"; SO the bone have three components for healing and revascularization "restoring of bone blood supply mechanisms" :
Pereosteoal Factor (P.F) – this is a very important factor – it's located around the bone "pereosteom and muscles",
Osteoal Factor (O.F.)– this is the bone it's self healing factor,
Endosteoal Factor (E.F) - the internal "inside the bone" healing factor SO when the doctor decided to do a combination of external and internal fixation, he well destroys all these factors! It's means that Ilizarov concept not used at all! WHY? Because the intramedullary nail well destroyed the internal small vessels of the bone, and for insertion of the nail the surgeon have to do complete osteotomy by saw, and cannot do closed corticotomy, it's leads to bone burn, and destroying the osteal and extra osteal healing mechanisms, of course technically "lengthening over nail" easier for doctor, espicialy during lengthening period, but it's not better for patient health!"

"Here, we must remember about very high infection rate "the external wires and pins are connected to the internal bone canal" so, if we well met some problems "infection" in wires or pins tracts, we can easy manage them, if we use external fixation only, BUT, if the internal fixator well be infected……. It's a Very big problem!
Now some words about our technique for bone cut: we use only semi closed corticotomy for bone cut- this technique is difficult one for surgeon, needs a well training, but it's very important for the patient, because we use 0.5 cm. incision and we cut the bone very gently "low kinetic technique". This technique was suggested by Professor Ilizarov him self for maximum saving of all vessels and tissue around and inside the bone for getting best results."

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: what do you think about LON
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »

I agree with him.  External only is the best if you've got the patience to wear fixators for about a year.

Sweden

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »

I can attest to that.
Knees ache constantly when I put force to them.

It doesn't mean I can't do stuff. I've been jumping, jogging and everything but it usually takes 2-3 days to recover after doing that.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »

Hey MDOW,

Is there anything you wish you would have done different?  Maybe external only?

Sweden,

Do you think the pain in your knees will ever totally go away?

If your knees do not improve at all would you still believe that the 7cms were worth the pain?

Thank you!

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »

Yes.  I wish I'd done external-only.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »

I've toyed with the idea of doing external only, although the big thing is that I run a small business and can't afford to be away for a whole year, which means I'd have to go back to the states in frames. Could be doable with monorail fixators in terms of hiding them, but they're less stable and probably wouldn't be ideal for my bulky frame as compared to the traditional ilizarov apparatus.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

JP

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »

Thank you for the responses.

I can’t determine what method to do with the least amount of risk…Bliskunov ‘s nail/Dr. Xia LON

BONAMED

F.A.Q:

O.K. Let's presuppose, I`ve chosen the internal
method. Why should it be yours?

We have the wide experience of lengthening with the help of the internal method. The professor Bliskunov was the first surgeon in the world who started using the fully implanted apparatus. The method has improved greatly since then. Our apparatus has no complicated details, no built-in electronic units. Just fine mechanics – trustworthy and reliable as Swiss watches. Joints are never damaged and remain intact when our device is implanted. Our devices are the smallest and as a result less traumatic. Our device for the thighs lengthening is 11,5 mm in diameter, for the shanks lengthening – 10 mm. The devices operate safely even when making a bone much longer.
The parts of our internal device do not rotate.
So the young “new” bone can grow safely. We cut the bone in its upper third. This zone has the best regenerating abilities. The device has the additional function - the function of protection and maintenance of the newer bone. The newly formed bone should not be bent or twisted. What is a new bone like? Imagine the "cloud" of the newly created young bone cells. They are surrounded with the smallest vessels which feed them. These vessels grow and brunch like a tree. The bone cells get necessary elements to live on with the help of the roots and branches of the tree. The tree of vessels cannot be broken!
I want to tell you one secret. The internal vehicle is very important for lengthening. And important things are the equipment and special technologies that are necessary for careful implantation of the vehicle inside the bone. One of the main Bliskunov`s method advantages is the fact that its implantation causes less trauma (and less scars).
Our internal method allows to eliminate such cosmetic defects of bones as deformation (Varus/Valgus), along with the process of lengthening that makes no impact upon continuance/endurance and cost of the program.
By the way, I would like to discuss such complications as embolism. I agree that the interior of the bone is damaged in case of any fixing rod intrusion. I'd like to state that the implanting of the rod into the bone is an ordinary surgery. It is practiced in traumatology and orthopedics all over the world. This technology is well studied, perfected and polished. We have made our device implanting even safer. We insert the device through a small cut ( 1/2 inch) and we use special apparatus. This is an important achievement of our method that we are so proud of. This is a very precise hi-tech manipulation We did not observe embolism, even at the early 1980s, when the surgery technique was not so accomplished, as it is now.

Is there any risk of the infectious complications?

As to the risk of infection I should mention that the direct contact with environment is experienced during the operation only. These are the maximum sterile conditions. After the skin has been cut and the muscles have been moved apart, the device has been implanted the wound is closed and there could be no infection. We also did not experience any kind of the infections that appeared in several years after the operation. The point is that the human body reacts immediately. After the operation the defending forces of the body get down to work. The man's body scans the operated place and tries to exclude any contacts with the environment to bar all the ways for possible microbes' attack.
The risk of the infectious complications is minimum when our method is used. We use up-to-date effective antibiotics during the postoperative period. So all the wounds are quickly repaired. The patient may take shower and water procedures in 4-5 days after the operation.

And still, did you have such complication as
ostheoarthroses?

The osteoarthroses is caused by the restriction of movements in the joints combined with the permanent loads on them. We did not have such complications (the operations have been performed since 1982). The patient, after he or she is implanted the devices becomes active very soon. The patient starts doing exercises and uses crutches several days after having the operation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up