Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: *Femurs/Precise 2.1/Dr Paley- Surgery 30 June 2015*  (Read 17812 times)

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
*Femurs/Precise 2.1/Dr Paley- Surgery 30 June 2015*
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:11:54 AM »

That's it, let's set the wheels in motion!
I expect to arrive in WPB on 25 June 2015. The consult is setup for the 26th June and surgery date is 30th June.
And I haven't even met the man yet!

I'm grateful as Dr Paley is on vacation at the time but will be coming in for the surgery. Though lately and increasingly, I'm not sure that's such a great thing- What if (karma forbid) there is a complication- is he then unreachable?! I'm trying not to over-think this bit *gritted teeth*

Ok, so other than hospital fees which is taken care of, I'm in the process of booking accommodation at the Homewood Suites and am yet to sort out air tickets. I will be flying in across oceans from Asia and for someone who is usually adversely affected by jet lag, it's yet the last worry on my mind for now.

The forums are a rich archive for Prep info and there really isn't anything new or personal to add as yet, but feel free to reach out with specific questions and/or advise and I will do my best. My gut knows I certainly need the encouragement!
Especially if there are ladies who have been Paley patients, being female of the species myself, I haven't come across many women Paley patients here.

Alas, I have a ton of work to wrap up before I leave on the extended "holiday".
More later comrades!
Female/Asian
Dr Paley/Femurs/Surgery Date 30 June 2015

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: *Femurs/Precise 2.1/Dr Paley- Surgery 30 June 2015*
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:41:42 AM »

Hi Yogi Bear, congratulations on starting your journey.

Was Dr Paley your first choice? Did you look into other doctors as well? What's your starting height and how many centimeters are you looking to gain?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »

Hi Kilo!
Thanks, I've got the jitters for sure.
It's odd, coz when I 1st decided to do it, I was all gung-ho and matter-of-factly about it... And now, I'm not quite cool cat no more :P Reckon by mid June, I'd be  ting bricks!

My biggest fear has to be - that of Fat embolism-- recall another patient's experience of it- between the pressurised cylinder they put him in and the bursting of his IV tube (was it?) I'm scarred!

It's more like Precice was my 1st choice, honestly, as a mechanical engineer based on papers that Dr Paley shared with me, I felt it was a good design and I'm convinced twisting cant be good for consolidation of bone. And Paley, of course, his reputation precedes him.
Also both my Alma maters are in the US and having spent considerable time there, if I had to leave home for the surgery, I'd rather it be the US than anywhere else.

So, I measure exactly 5' and hope to gain the full 8cm (fingers & toes crossed)
Female/Asian

programdude

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »

I'm happy you are doing femurs after seeing what my asian female LL friend had to endure for tibia.

You will do well with Paley I am sure. I am the worst of those I know who went with him and I am alright. 8 CM is nothing to sneeze at though, especially with short limbs to begin with, so be ready for the long haul. If you have any questions or want any info don't hesitate to ask. I sort of went into it blind, and was oddly calm for it even as I was prepping for surgery but I can imagine it being pretty nerve racking for some.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:54:01 AM »

Hey there PD! I was just about to msg you about my decision actually :)

Yes, I wouldn't ever consider tibia.

Your diary is certainly one I'll be perusing to compare. I remember having felt so bad about your irregular lengthening and thought it such a pity, as otherwise you seemed to embody all that would go perfectly per plan with Paley. (Also your going in blind resonated with me- It's how I tend to be too)
Oh well, I am glad you are well now mate, and the rest as they say is history :)
Female/Asian

programdude

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:59 PM »

All ended well with lengthening evenly fortunately- but it is nerve racking not knowing if you are lengthening equally. That and the lack of sleep are the hardest parts.

Remember- it will be hard, but it ends. You will experiences NOTHING as rewarding as getting on that plane home after having met your goal. As I said don't hesitate to reach out, sometimes having a friend can help a lot.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

stormtrooper

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

Hi guys, Can you please enlighten me on the concerns about doing tibias. I'm definitely going to do femurs , but I'd also like to follow it up with tibias for 1-2 inches. So, you're advice and insight would be greatly appreciated. Last but not least, if there are any patient journals you can refer me to regarding this issue, then I'd be most grateful. Take care.

programdude

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »

The reason I advise against it is two cases I know of. One is a member who posted here and doesn't want to be discussed so I will respect that. The other is someone I actually met and lengthened with, and had screws come out which I saw pictures of. Which is something that doesn't seem to happen with males/femurs. The length of recovery/rate of bone growth for only 5 CM was also insane, which resulted in needing to spend tons on exigent machine etc. and still almost needing a bone graft.

I am pretty sure even Paley will say that tibia on females is much higher risk, even if he downplays it to an extent.

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 01:50:45 AM »

Precisely PD!! Exactly why I told Paley I wish to get an x-ray every week (in lieu of waiting the 2 weeks) during distraction (and pay extra for the same as required) but he insists its not required, saying P2.1 is very reliable. Let's see...
Paley is extremely assuaging of all concerns really :)

Thanks very much for the offer, you are very kind. I am afraid I will take you up on that offer.
Female/Asian

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:03:23 AM »

Agree with PD and for me, it was the possibility of (minor but chronic) knee pain and other issues like compartment syndrome, which aren't a problem with femurs.
To be perfectly frank, that was enough to put me off and consequently I didn't research it further, as retention of an active, pain free, agile lifestyle is of utmost importance to me. Luckily for me, my existing proportions (arm, tibial & torso length) would only be made perfect by an increase of 7-8cm on my femurs.
Female/Asian

programdude

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »

Yes the knee pain was a big turn off alone.

Idk if the 2.1 is an upgrade from what I used, but he seemed pretty confident in that, and yet there was that discrepancy issue, so I do think its good to do it weekly, if only for peace of mind.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »

I'm grateful as Dr Paley is on vacation at the time but will be coming in for the surgery.

Hi Yogi! You have the same surgery date as me with Dr. Paley. I'm actually the reason why he's available for surgery that day, despite it being his vacation. I'll be staying at Homewood Suites as well. Good luck with your surgery!
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 02:17:59 AM »

Hi Yogi! You have the same surgery date as me with Dr. Paley. I'm actually the reason why he's available for surgery that day, despite it being his vacation. I'll be staying at Homewood Suites as well. Good luck with your surgery!
Doingitforme
R u a guy or a girl
what is your starting height

DoingItForMe

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 02:34:39 AM »

Doingitforme
R u a guy or a girl
what is your starting height

I'm a guy. My experience thread is on here as well. I'll start updating it again when the surgery comes.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »

Agree PD! I'm told it is an improved version but more from a weight bearing pov is what I gather, doubt the lengthening mechanism (& reliability of the same) is improved upon in any way.
And so I've asked the hospital how many x-rays post surgery are actually included in the lump-sum (so I know how many more I'll need, the cost etc) but I am yet to be given a number.
Do you know/recall? I remember reading somewhere that it is capped at a certain number...
Female/Asian

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »

Hi DIFM, good to connect. See u in flesh, all the best!  :D
Female/Asian

programdude

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »

Heres what you can do- On the site there should be a mention of the time period x rays and all are covered for. Then number of x rays should be the number of weeks divided by two.

They are somewhat lenient in some cases with what they charge for, but I doubt in your case they would be generous since you are opting into it.

Chenboy

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »

Hi yesterday I had consultation with paley and I am also Asian I am a boy haha now I am in Wpb

Chenboy

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »

Hi I will do with paley also

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 06:01:14 AM »

Hi Chen! When is your surgery scheduled?
I expect to arrive in WPB 25th
Female/Asian

Chenboy

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »

Now I have already Wpb now, I still wait for my result of examination of university, it will outcome in 1st of July , if I pass all the examination then I will book the surgery, maybe it in august , please me your Facebook or Skype  , which we can easy to communicate . Actually I come from china. How about you ? 

truthtell100

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »

i'd wish i had had enough money to do this wiht Paley

Chenboy

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »

it is so expensive .

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »

Chen, good luck with ur exams, but just note that if u r looking to decide on surgery date in July, u might not get one as quickly as Aug, just a heads up to check with the Hospital on this in advance.
Feel free to use the PM feature on here for any questions that you may have, it's certainly the best way to connect with me.
Female/Asian

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 08:43:45 AM »

It is! By any definition, it's substantial  :-\

I view it as A) An investment towards my happiness going forward and B) It equating to my peace of mind that if anything were to f**k up (karma forbid!) during the surgery, distraction etc, that it certainly wouldn't be from cutting of corners
Female/Asian

theuprising

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 08:58:57 AM »

Agree with PD and for me, it was the possibility of (minor but chronic) knee pain and other issues like compartment syndrome, which aren't a problem with femurs.
To be perfectly frank, that was enough to put me off and consequently I didn't research it further, as retention of an active, pain free, agile lifestyle is of utmost importance to me. Luckily for me, my existing proportions (arm, tibial & torso length) would only be made perfect by an increase of 7-8cm on my femurs.

Compartment syndrome is definitely a problem that can occur with femurs. Be aware of all risk factors.

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 10:22:26 AM »

Hi Uprising,
That's odd- Paley has personally told me and replied in writing that the chances of compartment syndrome for me are "ZERO" in bold too!!
While I make some time to research this further, do you know more? Pray tell!

Thanks again for writing in, appreciate the camaraderie!
Female/Asian

Chenboy

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 05:54:25 AM »

Actually. Where are you from ? Which hotel you will stay. Does paley inform the risk of this surgery

Chenboy

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 06:35:14 PM »

This is very emergency , your surgery date is 30th of June  and which hotel you will stay , I look forward to see you actually ......

Alittletooshort

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »

Whats your starting height and your goal?
Good luck with everything!

Yogi Bear

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 05:16:12 AM »

Chen, Ermm,I'm not sure I understand what the emergency is.
Also, I have replied to your PM with information on setting up of your surgery date/etc, hope that helped.
Good luck
Female/Asian
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up