Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Monegal / Spain / Bilateral Femurs / Fitbone / August 25, 2015  (Read 85016 times)

microman

Re: Dr. Monegal / Spain / Bilateral Femurs / Fitbone / August 25, 2015
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »

oh right i understand why people do internal femurs first now, because it is faster, but is it worth triple the price just to be done 4 months quicker than external tibia?

i kind of thought people did internal femur as 2nd surgery until now.

chsn

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »

Not just because it is faster, also less discomfort and pain, less risk of infection, and less scarring, it is simply less barbaric...as Dr.Guichet would say, "why by a horse when you can by a Ferrari";D

microman

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:48 PM »

lol i'd hardly say that the end result is exactly the same, one its just 3x the price.

the pain level is the same for internal femur vs external tibia i believe, scar removal surgery is cheap anyway.

Hennessy

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 12:57:56 AM »

Congrats man, I'll be surely checking you in regularly for updates as I'm planning to do the exact same thing!

Bohemia

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 12:16:26 AM »

[deleted - will repost later]
Dr. Alex Monegal / Barcelona, Spain / Femurs 8cm / Implanted August 25, 2015 / Removed February 21, 2018

Alittletooshort

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 01:57:11 AM »

oh right i understand why people do internal femurs first now, because it is faster, but is it worth triple the price just to be done 4 months quicker than external tibia?

i kind of thought people did internal femur as 2nd surgery until now.
It's more than just the higher recovery speed but also the better long term recovery. Most people who get their femurs done seem to do much better than the ones who do their tibiae. Whereas a lot of tibia patiens suffer from this surgery much longer.
Another advantage of the internal femur method is, that you can lengthen a greater amount, If I increaed my femur bones by 15% it would be around 7cm's which is a very decent height increase.
If I wanted to lengthen my tibias by 7 cm's, the increase would be much greater than just 15% and therefore bear higher risks.

Bohemia

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »

Dr. Alex Monegal / Barcelona, Spain / Femurs 8cm / Implanted August 25, 2015 / Removed February 21, 2018

ouroboros

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »

A picture says a thousand words, and a video has an encyclopedia's worth of information within.  You just answered a ton of questions with that demonstration.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us bro!  Keep us posted with your progress.

axelf

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »

thanks for the videos and stuff! how are you, how is your pain level when you 1) relax 2) PT 3)sleep 4)use the walker to stand up?

ouroboros

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 04:55:52 AM »

Nice x-rays! 
it's interesting to see the way Dr. Monegal performed the osteotomy on your bones.   Looks like he doesn't use an intramedullary saw.   I think that Paley doesn't like using a saw either because he prefers to "break the bone" so the scattered bone fragments help in callus formation..... I could be wrong on this but perhaps Dr. Monegal could give some input on the osteotomy technique.... thanks   

Taller

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »

I'm really, really happy for you! Can you see/feel any difference, being an inch taller?

Also, how much weight can the fit one bear? Can you walk with it if you use crutches or a walker,  or must you always be wheelchair bound when moving?

Bohemia

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »

Dear moderators, can you please remove the second image of my x-ray, because it accidentally includes my name. I would edit it myself, but the time has expired. Thank you.

thanks for the videos and stuff! how are you, how is your pain level when you 1) relax 2) PT 3)sleep 4)use the walker to stand up?

We need to distinguish pain and discomfort. If we define pain as an acute unbearable sensation, like "Holy crap, please stop, it hurts" then I have never felt that once—except for when self-imposing it with hardcore stretching. Whereas, if we define discomfort as an unwelcome awkward feeling, then I will concede that it never ends—it becomes a matter of how do you tolerate and cope with it, e.g., icing, stretching, lying in funny positions, etc.

When I relax, the discomfort chills at a 3. When I do physical therapy, Claudio raises that discomfort to a 7-8 by necessity. When I stand, I feel almost ordinary. I can walk small distances and feel nothing wrong, except tightness.

I would refer to this whole experience as generally painless, but very uncomfortable. If you consider yourself a grown man or woman, then I see no reason why you could not survive this.

it's interesting to see the way Dr. Monegal performed the osteotomy on your bones.   Looks like he doesn't use an intramedullary saw.   I think that Paley doesn't like using a saw either because he prefers to "break the bone" so the scattered bone fragments help in callus formation..... I could be wrong on this but perhaps Dr. Monegal could give some input on the osteotomy technique.... thanks

No saw, as far as I know. He always strives for the gentlest procedure possible.

I'm really, really happy for you! Can you see/feel any difference, being an inch taller?

Also, how much weight can the fit one bear? Can you walk with it if you use crutches or a walker,  or must you always be wheelchair bound when moving?

Yes, my upper legs look longer and narrower when I lie in bed. It amused the crap out of me for about a week. I almost could not believe it. And when I stand up, the horizon of my gaze has risen.

The Fitbone can sustain weight *far greater* than it says. The German engineers specifically minimize the guaranteed weight in writing because they wish to avoid users doing absurdities like jumping and running—one dipcrap went alpine skiing like one month post-procedure in the past and bent them. Apparently, the metal nails themselves pose no threat, but rather the screws can loosen in their holes a little.

I can walk and stand and I feel strong—but no matter who you are, if you do bi-femural with Dr. Monegal you will be relegated to a wheelchair for at least a month simply on principle of safety. And the wheelchair becomes second nature within a day.

---

One cool feature of Barcelona—a food delivery/take-out resource exists called La Nevera Roja, that is, The Red Refrigerator. You can instantly browse every menu of every restaurant in the city that will deliver meals to the door of your apartment at the time you select. I utilize this about 3-4 times per week.

https://www.laneveraroja.com

Bohemia

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »

Bohemia

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »

I have hit halfway.

axelf

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »

congrats!!!

how you're feeling? any difference from what you've described in one of your last posts? (keywords pain/discomfort)

Bohemia

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »

congrats!!!

how you're feeling? any difference from what you've described in one of your last posts? (keywords pain/discomfort

Last night I hear a gentle sound in my leg and the tension diminishes to nothing around my right knee. It feels very decent and loose today. (No I do not believe the bone or nail broke)

No regrets. Axelf send me a message when you wake up from surgery bro!

Taller

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »

Glad to hear that your muscle tension has gone down. Do you think you could post some photos of your proportions at 4CM, then at again at 8CM when you get there (and I'm sure you'll make it), so that we can see how much of a difference in proportion lengthening makes?

Bohemia

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »

Glad to hear that your muscle tension has gone down. Do you think you could post some photos of your proportions at 4CM, then at again at 8CM when you get there (and I'm sure you'll make it), so that we can see how much of a difference in proportion lengthening makes?

I will do what I can; perhaps when I hit the gym next I can snap a photo.

I would like to update on a unique occurrence. Several days ago, I lie in bed, chilling on my laptop, with my legs extended in front of me in a sort of stretch/relax position that Claudio gave me. I hear a gentle sound and tension diminishes away in the right side of my knee. Two days later, I hear the same sound, and tension in the left side of my knee releases. Then, last night I hear it again in the right side of my left knee, and the tension vanishes. My legs feel very loose because of this. I explained to Claudio and he considered a sign of stretching eliminating knots; in any event, my legs feel almost 100% normal, except for tightness that surrounds the area of distraction.

I undergo a round of x-rays either today or tomorrow. I would like to avoid any fractures at all costs.

Joel

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »

I will do what I can; perhaps when I hit the gym next I can snap a photo.

I would like to update on a unique occurrence. Several days ago, I lie in bed, chilling on my laptop, with my legs extended in front of me in a sort of stretch/relax position that Claudio gave me. I hear a gentle sound and tension diminishes away in the right side of my knee. Two days later, I hear the same sound, and tension in the left side of my knee releases. Then, last night I hear it again in the right side of my left knee, and the tension vanishes. My legs feel very loose because of this. I explained to Claudio and he considered a sign of stretching eliminating knots; in any event, my legs feel almost 100% normal, except for tightness that surrounds the area of distraction.

I undergo a round of x-rays either today or tomorrow. I would like to avoid any fractures at all costs.
Dang this fitbone thing sounds great, your already at the gym?  Full weight bearing to I guess this sounds much better than Paley for sure.  Plus the food looks nice all the best, i'm the same height as you gl with 8cm that is a lot i'm sure you will meet that goal soon enough.
5'5 manlet of peace

Bohemia

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »

Dang this fitbone thing sounds great, your already at the gym?

To stretch and ride the stationary bicycle, yes, but not lift weights or anything like that. :)

Full weight bearing to I guess this sounds much better than Paley for sure.  Plus the food looks nice all the best, i'm the same height as you gl with 8cm that is a lot i'm sure you will meet that goal soon enough.

It does factually bear my weight, e.g., I walk unaided from the bike to the parallel bars three times per day, however I still utilize wheelchair for general safety. I will switch to a walker in 2 weeks, which amounts to 8 weeks in a chair.

Behold the majesty of the human immune system!

- Swelling gone
- Discoloration eliminated
- Wounds shrank down
- Extension straightened

concernedmom

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »

To stretch and ride the stationary bicycle, yes, but not lift weights or anything like that. :)

It does factually bear my weight, e.g., I walk unaided from the bike to the parallel bars three times per day, however I still utilize wheelchair for general safety. I will switch to a walker in 2 weeks, which amounts to 8 weeks in a chair.

Behold the majesty of the human immune system!

- Swelling gone
- Discoloration eliminated
- Wounds shrank down
- Extension straightened
Looks so great. Very little scar. Congrats!

chsn

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »

Dude this looks awesome,hoping to see ya when I visit MIC next week...Btw how much do you weigh? got curious when yo said the nail can hold your weight

Uppland

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »

Hello Bohemia, you sem to be having a decent time at Monegals place. His clinic is really proving to be a very valid option in my eyes.

Could you tell us a bit on how you prepared for the surgery beforehand, your stretches, diet and other exercise?

Thank you and good luck.,

Bohemia

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »

Dude this looks awesome,hoping to see ya when I visit MIC next week...Btw how much do you weigh? got curious when yo said the nail can hold your weight

If you would like, drop me a message and I will give you my name, so if you wish to ask for me, you can.

I weighed like 200. And I have definitely shed like 15 pounds.

Another guy underwent this treatment, and actually spoke with a German engineer of Fitbone. He asked the guy how much weight it can truly hold, and the engineer said it can absolutely weight-bear a normal adult, and that they conscientiously downplay its weight-bearing capacity in their literature to avoid legal danger.

If anyone does not believe it can hold the weight of an adult, just look at my photo below.

Hello Bohemia, you sem to be having a decent time at Monegals place. His clinic is really proving to be a very valid option in my eyes.

Could you tell us a bit on how you prepared for the surgery beforehand, your stretches, diet and other exercise?

Thank you and good luck.,

I did only one thing: I drank a very specific nutritional supplement every morning for a month to give my immune system the power it needs prior to the treatment—and I had a friend mail the bottles to me from the United States so I could remain on the nutrition whilst here. A doctor named Joel Wallach created it; it contains all 90 essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, and also possesses a certain technology (chelation) that supports a maximum absorption rate, as opposed to pissing almost all of it out like ordinary muti-vitamins.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Tangerine-Citrus-Infusion-Canister/dp/B00IB6NJUS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444902908&sr=8-3&keywords=tangy+tangerine

I have not completed my experience here; I still have about 2 weeks and then 2 weeks of distraction back home. That being said, I give this facility, the doctor, and the physiotherapist a collective 5 out of 5 stars. I honestly have no complaints, besides the wifi which becomes shaky at night.

I would like to add that the physiotherapist who stretches you every day, Claudio, is also the hospital radiologist who does the x-rays during and after your surgery in the hospital. He quite literally knows your bones and muscles better than you! That gave me a sense of safety.

Taller asked to see me proportions. I shot this this morning. My quadricep muscles (thighs) have thinned to a degree that I did not expect. I always had very wide legs.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:59:04 PM by Admin »

Taller

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »

Wow! You look really good and well proportioned so far. If I were to pass you walking on the street in Spain, it wouldn't even cross my mind to wonder if you had LL.

I also live in Spain at the moment. Regarding Internet, I buy a data plan from Lycamobile that gives 5GB of 4G internet for 23 euro. I then tether my phone to my laptop to get internet on both devices. For me it works quite well when wifi is not available or working well.

microman

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »

what will your final bone length be both for tibia and femur.

Bohemia

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »

Wow! You look really good and well proportioned so far. If I were to pass you walking on the street in Spain, it wouldn't even cross my mind to wonder if you had LL.

Thanks!

I also live in Spain at the moment. Regarding Internet, I buy a data plan from Lycamobile that gives 5GB of 4G internet for 23 euro. I then tether my phone to my laptop to get internet on both devices. For me it works quite well when wifi is not available or working well.

Cool. I simply use the free wifi.

what will your final bone length be both for tibia and femur.

The nurse claims I stood at 165.5, however I specifically recall my posture not being upright all the way. I will estimate 166 cm and will probably hit 174 total. To be honest, I do not recall the exacts of each individual bone. Dr. Paley at my consultation in Florida did comment that I possessed a .8 ratio of tibia to femur, and he liked that; said that it suits this treatment.

microman

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 11:52:43 AM »

good news, i would check the old forum about tibia and femur ratio, it would be good to know if you started out with natrually long femurs, i think there have been some cases of femur patients that lengthen too much then need to do tibia as they have knee problems.

just a heads up in case something like that happens.

i started out with extremely long femurs 56:44, so tibia lengthening was natural for me.

Uppland

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:21 PM »

You are just all over the place, from the US, to Belgium and now Spain. Anyway, Bohemia seems to have short legs which obviously is great in this context.

Your proportions look very good in that pic Bohemia and this is coming from the most fanatical proportion nazi on the board.

Bohemia

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »

good news, i would check the old forum about tibia and femur ratio, it would be good to know if you started out with natrually long femurs, i think there have been some cases of femur patients that lengthen too much then need to do tibia as they have knee problems.

Cool.

Your proportions look very good in that pic Bohemia and this is coming from the most fanatical proportion nazi on the board.

Thanks!

Alu

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »

Considering you're at 5 CM how do you feel with that height. Is it noticeable. I know you can't quite do a lot given your state but from just standing up do you notice a clear difference?
Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up