Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 266605 times)

Alu

Re: Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2015, 02:18:23 AM »

Relax dude you got this. You haven't failed; you're still lengthening after all. Take Paley's advice at heart. He knows what he's doing and while it sucks that you are now going slower it's probably the best option. These moments you're going through are gonna be defining moments in your life for better or worst. Don't feel down by this set back and be as cautious as possible.

Ghostfish

« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2015, 03:07:19 AM »

Hi Iamready

I am sorry about your frustration and huge pain.  But it is not a failure but just going slower than you wanted it to be. While you slow down lengthening, it would be better for you to focus on PT to make muscle more flexible, which may reduce your pain and help you go back to normal speed as soon as possible. 
Hang in there buddy!  Be strong!!

Best,

yagen

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »

Cheers Iamready,

Think that is a psychologycal game, more days of lengthening without pain is better, your soft tissues are telling that you have to reducere your ratio.

Take easy, you will able to enjoy your new height a lot of year, dont waste it growing faster.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »

I feel like I've failed.  Today I went in for a check up after thanksgiving weekend and told Paley about my pain and he told me I was too tight and needed to slow down to .5mm a day until the next check up in 2 weeks.  I also feel like the Paley Center has failed me by not communicating the proper exercises I should have been focusing on.  I've been busting my ass and going through lots of pain and I deserve better communication between the physical therapy team and the doctors.  There is a huge disconnect and it's absolutely frustrating to be in this position.
Don't worry about it. A few other patients including myself have slowed down the lengthening at some point in their lengthening. Slowing down your lengthening will reduce your pain. Also keep in mind that your bone takes the same amount of time to consolidate anyway. So the total length in time spent in a wheelchair probably didn't change even though your lengthening time did.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

yagen

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

How many days are the max Time period that you can doing lengthening?

Thank you

DoingItForMe

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »

How many days are the max Time period that you can doing lengthening?

Thank you
Depends on how fast you consolidate. Some people's bones grow too fast, so they have to lengthen faster or stop taking calcium supplements. This happened to one of the tib patients while I was here. If the bones consolidate too fast, there's a risk of bone union. Once the bones unite, you can't lengthen anymore without another surgery to break the bone again. In my case, where my bone is growing slower than average, I don't have to worry about bone union. I can lengthen longer. Looking at my x-rays, my bones didn't unite until around 4 months post-op, even though I stopped lengthen 3 months post-op. So I probably could have lengthened at .75 mm per day instead of 1 mm, and still be fine. And that's exactly what I did the last two weeks to give my legs a break. Lengthening when you're really tight is rough.

Looking at iamready's xrays, it doesn't look like his bones are consolidating too fast, so that's why he's allowed to slow down the lengthening and ease up on the pain caused by lengthening. This also allows his soft tissue to catch up to the lengthening.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »

I want to say thanks for the support guys.  This is the second PT of the day for me the bus will be here soon. I'll read all your comments once I am back and moved into my new apartment.  Thanks again.  You guys made my day to see you CARED.

Iamready

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »

Anyone know of any software that can blur faces during videos.  I have a few films to share.

53dude

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2015, 12:22:31 AM »

Dude you are my hero, I want to make in both of my segments as well
My I tell you the difference between tibia and femur pain?

DoingItForMe

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:43 AM »

Anyone know of any software that can blur faces during videos.  I have a few films to share.
There's no cheap way to do it. You need something like Adobe Premiere and use motion tracking. Once you figure out how to use it, it's pretty easy. You create an mosaic blur oval over the face, and then you add motion tracking to it. The program will automatically track the face and follow it around. It would probably save you time if you just cropped the video to remove the heads. Or make the video wearing a mask.

I want to say thanks for the support guys.  This is the second PT of the day for me the bus will be here soon. I'll read all your comments once I am back and moved into my new apartment.  Thanks again.  You guys made my day to see you CARED.
That's what I'm here for, buddy. I used this forum in the past to help me get through the rough days by reading the diaries. And now I'm helping out the next set of patients doing the same. Hopefully you'll remember this and stick around to help out the next set of patients when you're done as well. A lot of patients just disappear once they're done and never return to the forums to tell us how things went.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2015, 03:24:07 AM »

Good for you. I'll pay it forward.  Are you sure it's Adobe premier and not after effects? Prob just buy both.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2015, 04:10:49 AM »

Good for you. I'll pay it forward.  Are you sure it's Adobe premier and not after effects? Prob just buy both.
Adobe Premiere CC Pro is all you need: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/blur-face-masking-tracking.html

After Effects is overkill for what you're trying to do, but yes, you can do it in After Effects as well.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 06:40:15 AM »

Thanks that helps.  I get my smart chair tomorrow.  Got a black friday special.  Now that i'm settled in my apartment I started using the walker.  Posting a video of me using it to get to the  ter and back to the bed since using the wheelchair in a bathroom is a hassle.  Also Paley told me to use it to exercise my Achilles so i'm ready to use both wheelchair and walker 50/50 at over 4 weeks now.  I'll be posting more videos daily but i'm tired and need the rest before my 9am PT and then 2pm PT.

Iamready

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »

Here's the simplest way to get to the  ter and back.  I just started walking with 1 leg at a time so it's funky but enjoy anyway  :P

DoingItForMe

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 07:06:58 AM »

Your video is set to private, so nobody can view it. I think everyone goes to the bathroom using a walker.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »

I just wanted to show how simple it was for people looking to get tibia surgery.  At Homewood Suites the floors were carpet and you could get stuck easily so a few of the guys would park the chair next to the toilet and transfer.

Iamready

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

Some videos will be tips some will be progress of how well 'm improving.  I'll tell you , the smart chair takes some getting used to.  You can knock some people over like bowling balls if you forget to park that chair and lean on the controls.

alps

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »

but the video is private. none of us can see it :)

Iamready

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »

Hey Doingitforme I hope I don't seem like a douche for posting these videos.  I'm in no means going through this process comfortably and want to show off I just wish I could have seen more videos of people doing daily things in previous blogs.  This is my contribution bud.  I hope the video is not private now.

My next video will show how to get in a car from the wheelchair which was something a friend at Homewood Suites requested I record.  I also have a video of an easy way to get into pools. Those will be posted after my two therapies and after picking up my modem from comcast.  My father is only here for a day or two and I need to make the most of him before I spend the next 6 months alone  :D

DoingItForMe

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »

I don't think you're a douche for posting videos at all. I think you're looking great by the way.

Some videos will be tips some will be progress of how well 'm improving.  I'll tell you , the smart chair takes some getting used to.  You can knock some people over like bowling balls if you forget to park that chair and lean on the controls.
I usually turn it off when I don't plan on moving for a while. This way I don't accidentally move the chair.
Link to my experience

Alu

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39:19 PM »

You're looking good overall mate. I'm assuming you are putting all your force/weight/pressure on your walker as you move.

Seems like overall good progress. Thank you so much for the videos also they provide great visual representation about how life will be like. Keep them coming!

Iamready

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 03:58:09 AM »

day before op

11-25-15  Around .65-75 inch lengthened

Ghostfish

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 05:07:02 AM »

Hi Iamready

You look great!! I thought you can't walk even with walker. Keep it up!  Thank you for sharing your video.  It is quite informative and encouraging.
By the way, you look already taller than your dad! Keep it up! 

yagen

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »

Nice video, You are getting your goal.

You looks awesome, your upper body is graat.

Cheers.

53dude

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 11:51:11 PM »

Great progress dude, I`m thinking on doing quadrilateral in 4-5 years, may you give some details about pain and pain progression so far?
Also, how much time it will take to the day of the surgery until the completion?

programdude

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »

Sorry that you feel like you're having a bad time.

I remember the unease every time I got an x ray, worried that there was a problem that would slow things down. Just remember, this will all be over eventually. Think of how amazing it will feel, flying back home and being done with it all- your goal realized. You have to have your eye on the prize. I know it is savage and wears on you- but it does end, and it will all be worth it.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Iamready

« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »

I agree with you "DOINGITFORME" about not wanting Paley for the 2 week checkups because he is extremely busy and can only dedicate a little time during the visit.  I would much rather him give his time to the beautiful brave children who are being given a chance at a better more comfortable life.  Having said that, if any unusual pains or discomforts arise I will deal with his long wait time to get the proper and safe diagnosis.  Which doctors do you recommend for the 2 week checkups?  My appointment is next Friday with Ms. Packer.  She has been a sweetheart so far and I hope to be able to spend a bit more time with her to look over my x-rays and make sure everything is ok and check my improved flexion. 

Mr. PROGRAMDUDE, thanks for visiting and I wish you a successful and painless recovery. Your bone will be stronger than ever and hopefully you'll be back to charming the ladies of NY in no time.

Things are getting better lengthening at .5 cm a day.  My frustration was how tight I had gotten even though I put so much effort on stretching.  I should have been focusing my energy on my Achilles and not the myriad of exercises I was given by PT.  That's all water under the bridge, we are on the same page now and I think they overestimated my flexibility because they measure me warm.   I didn't know if it was an injury so I played it safe with the stretches.  My body was quick to lose its flex when I had taken a brief breather during my horrifically painful weekend.  Also I went to the prosthetic company that made my flexion brace and made some comfort changes to the boot I have to wear 20 hours a day and had them add padding on the areas of discomfort.  I still get strong cramps on my left leg  while sleeping with them but at least I am wearing them properly.

Here are my most recent x-rays.
Perhaps someone can chime in on the consolidation so I know if it's ok that i'm lengthening a low rate.  Thanks all and enjoy images of my broken legs.  I have sharpened the zoom in of the consolidation x-ray so any of you with experience can chime in.

I met up with 2 prospective patients.  If you guys are lurking don't be shy and text me with any questions you have.  I only need monitor my business a few hours a day due to my awesome cousin who is busting his ass, and the rest of my time is dedicated to this journey.  He will be rewarded with a Cancun trip once i'm consolidated.  I'll post again soon.  Off to a warm bath and some early morning theraband stretches!

DoingItForMe

« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »

I've only had Dr. Packer for all appointments except for the final one. Dr. Packer handled all my questions just fine. Of course, I was incident free throughout my lengthening, so I didn't need to see Dr. Paley. But if you're having problems, you should go to Dr. Paley.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »

Thanks for the response.

Sorry for no new content.  Today my father leaves me; i'm 32 after all and I focus much better on my own.  Just got finished doing some grueling morning stretches after a warm bath.  I still wake up with a bit of a cramp in the left leg.  It's just the nature of wearing a boot during your sleep and not moving around.  The stretching you do on your own is the most difficult part.  There is no siting back and biting your tongue at pain.  It's you actively pulling yourself to the limit.  When it gets too hard I visualize myself at my goal height, I think of the money I saved up and spent on this operation and then I get that next push of effort to get to the next level.  This message is here to remind you guys of this commitment.  You have to work at it everyday as if you are studying for the bar exam or even a competitive athletic sport you want to place well in.  I'm ready to stretch my right Achilles now and before my father leaves i will post a pic alongside him to show you what an inch taller looks like :)  Peace.

53dude

« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »

How is the pain going so far? What are the times that you suffered more pain? And what you think that could be done to you to suffer less?

Iamready

« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »

My father left today.  Here is our latest pic together.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25   Go Up