Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 266634 times)

Iamready

Re: Quadrilateral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »

Markings on my legs are just markers for the ERC device because I do it by myself now.

Iamready

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2015, 01:33:41 AM »

Ok, so to the person asking about the pain; the truth is that my pain is limited to one leg.  That is my left leg.  My right leg feels as if nothing is happening where as my left feels everything from the lengthening to every second of wearing the dorsiflexion boot.  It's most painful at nights and especially when I wake up because I tend to wake up with cramps in my left calf and some ankle pains.  It's not a comfortable process but I also take the pain  meds as advised, really conservatively and try and suck it up.  The PT sessions are not that painful but the hamstring stretches can get a bit insane; I tend to get rug burn from the towel that they rest my calf on but hey people have parts of their face blown off and live through it so I try to stay strong.  I like to stay close to my place, that's why I chose an apartment at CITYPLACE mall, so that if any special pains arise I am a short distance from a nice warm bath.

Iamready

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2015, 01:38:27 AM »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DoingItForMe

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2015, 01:58:06 AM »

If the PTs hurt you with rug burn, let them know. They will adjust accordingly. They're not torturers haha. That's pretty clever what you did to align the device. For me, I just made sure the device was aligned and then I took a sharpie and traced the bottom of the device on my leg. Then each time, I just line it up with the tracing.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2015, 02:09:23 AM »

Oh believe me I tried to get my PT to make the rug burn easy on me but that was a no go.  It's ok though because she is strong as all hell and i'd rather it be her than someone else; the trade off is fair.  I'll probably try your technique when doing the femurs! 

Iamready

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:01 AM »

I've made a brief video about dealing with painful times and boredom.  It's not great but I get bored and this is therapy for me. Hopefully you enjoy and benefit from it. 

DoingItForMe

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2015, 07:23:58 AM »

Going down to the pool and binge watching TV shows is what passed my time and kept my mind off the pain. The pool is especially helpful because you can also exercise while in it. I watched all the seasons of Scrubs, Modern Family, and Rick and Morty while in the hotel. Time flies for me now because of it.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2015, 07:54:41 AM »

Man it's been raining cats and dogs this whole week since I moved. I've gone to the jacuzzi despite the rain but the rain has been getting heavy. You can even see me wet in that photo with my father and that's An hour after we got home.

Iamready

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »

Today was the annual 5k Paley Foudation Marathon.   I woke up at 4am to attend but of course came as everyone crossed the finish line.  I was a bit disappointed because I brought my manual wheelchair and wanted to see if I had it in me to make the 5k without assistance.   There was breakfast and we took a group photograph.  I was in front of course.    I decided instead of taking a taxi back to take my wheelchair and the trip was approximately 2 miles back to my apartment. A good portion uphill and some obstacles such as train tracks and vampires but I made it home safely and proudly.  I just got out the spa after stretching and i'm heading out for a burger and perhaps watch the new James Bond Movie.  Good day all. 

Taller

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2015, 10:49:21 PM »

Maybe you could also try learning/playing an instrument. I've found it to be a great way to pass time, gain a fun and challenging skillset, express myself artistically, and manage with physical and emotional pain, turning it into something positive. If I were to do LL (I'm not in any particular hurry to decide get it done, rather I'll do it if "the cards are right"), making music would probably be my main free time activity. And you could still go to music jams and stuff in your wheelchair. Just tell people you broke your pelvis or something along those lines.

Tallexpectations

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »

Taller your name should be musicmaker

DoingItForMe

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »

I'm actually surprised now that they didn't give you Oxycontin even though you're 32. I thought you were in your early 20s for some reason. I'm a few years younger than you and I got Oxycontin. And another patient who is 35 also had a lot of pain and got Oxycontin. I strongly believe that if you're in late 20s and beyond, you'll get tight easily and have a lot of pain. This has been my experience from viewing the other patients while I was there. Only the younger people had little to no pain. Anyway, I hope you're feeling better. Now that I know that you're older, I realize now why you're getting so tight so easily.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2015, 08:40:16 PM »

Yeah,  it's just one of those things i'm going to have to find a way to deal with.   Looking 18 and being 32 has its cons.  They may have automatically assumed i'm a punk kid looking for a high- but in reality my pain can get quite bad.

About music, i'm actually going to buy a keyboard- i believe it's called a controller- that allows you to play music on the computer.  I'm also an artist and I bought several art items I can highlight in a future video.  If I think if something cool to post I will.  I saw The Night Before yesterday and it really raised my spirits until I realized I lost my glasses.  I'm going to have to make a trip to costco and get a new pair :)

Alu

« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »

To be fair based on the tone of your voice and your more carefree attitude I also found it surprising that you are 32 years old; I'm guessing I do have a lot to look forward too in my later years.

Anyways, I got two questions. How easy is it to maneuver throughout the places you visit considering you're bound to a chair now? When are you gonna stop lengthening your tibia; would you stop at the "supposed" limit of 5 CM?

Iamready

« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2015, 09:39:04 PM »

i'd like to stop at 6.5cm.  I'm doing all that I can, there's no excuse I will accept.  Physical therapy 2 times a day, stretching more than an average patient.  If I don't get past 5 cm I am going to be extremely disappointed because I have gone above and beyond what has been asked of me by the PT and Doctors.  I think the reason I was slowed down to .5cm a day was because my pain was severe and I was horrified that something serious occurred and I eased stretching for a few days.  A few days is all it takes to lose flexibility especially when lengthening everyday.  I chalk it up as a fluke but one thing I am still irritated about is how they are stingy with the pain medicine when it would actually benefit my progress greatly by allowing me to sleep better and stretch harder.  It's not my call and i'm not a doctor but perhaps I will get a better explanation or a solution from them this friday at my 2 week checkup. 

Mobility is not an issue, I have strong arms and have gone 2 miles without issue getting around.  People will help open doors.  I'm surprised that so few places are handicap friendly but we are only a small segment of the population so I accept it.

Iamready

« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2015, 10:52:20 PM »

i went to the spa after lengthening and a beautiful girl was there waiting for me. After telling her about my lengthening procedure we started flirting and then the security guard comes on cue and grinches us out of the spa for staying past 5pm.  Anyway, the girl wasn't wierded out at all that I had gone through limb lengthening surgery nor has any other person I have told during this trip.  There aren't many people that I get a chance to talk to but I usually tell people "wanna know how I ended up in this wheelchair."  Just so they know not to feel bad for me and that it was a voluntary procedure.  Really guys, people don't care. Maybe it's my attitude towards it that makes people comfortable with the idea but you should share the same attitude.  Every girl I date will know the first date that we have and I really think you should be honest with your friends and family too with this procedure.  No one has said anything bad. The worst was... why would you do that, you weren't even short.  Which is just something people say to make you feel better.  My starting height of 5 4.5-5 is considered short if you're a rational human being.  Anyway. Just sharing a story.  Before she left she apologized for not giving her name, and I told her i'd see her around.  Back to stretching.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »

I very very highly recommend not telling people about the procedure. While the person you tell may be cool with the fact that you did LL, that person might tell someone else you know about it and that other person might not be cool with it. Almost in every diary where people told others, they later regret it when it comes biting them in the ass. Personally, I had friends who were really against LL when I told them about the surgery before I got it. And upon my research on LL, I found other non-LL forums where almost everyone was ridiculing a patient who did LL. I think people's true opinions come out when they can hide behind an internet username. Ever since then, I knew that not everyone is cool with cosmetic surgery. Since you don't know their reactions, it's best not to tell them about the surgery.

It's possible that the people you told just happen to be the few who are cool with it. But it's also possible that they just didn't tell how they really felt about it to your face, since you're in a wheelchair. There's still a stigma around cosmetic surgery. Just pick up any tabloid and you'd see how much they criticize celebs for getting plastic surgery.

But then again, it's your choice. Just don't say that nobody warned you.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »

People talk   about people everyday.  It's part of life.  Worst case scenario; people talk negatively about me behind my back.
I'm still going to be inches taller than I was.  Haters are going to hate.  I respect everyone's opinion on this matter so sorry for pushing my opinion on others but I won't live a lie because people might make fun of me for improving myself.

ortholengthening

« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »

You are aiming for 6.5 cm on tibias?  What is your goal for the femur? I was originally under the impression that you will be doing 5 cm in each segment.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2015, 08:07:36 AM »

People talk crap about people everyday.  It's part of life.  Worst case scenario; people talk negatively about me behind my back.
I'm still going to be inches taller than I was.  Haters are going to hate.  I respect everyone's opinion on this matter so sorry for pushing my opinion on others but I won't live a lie because people might make fun of me for improving myself.
Personally, I worry about if a girl I'm dating doesn't like the idea of LL and then I lose a potential wife because of it. In the minds of people who never suffered from height discrimination, some think that doing the procedure is crazy. So they associate "crazy" with the LL patients. Knowing that risk, I keep the LL a secret to myself. I don't see much gain in telling people about it. I only see mostly potential losses.
Link to my experience

Iamready

« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2015, 12:25:53 PM »

It's all good brother. Like I said, I respect your decision.  My opinion is not for everyone but at this point in my life i'm comfortable with telling people.  It may change in the future and i'll let you guys know how it goes when all my lengthening and healing is done and i'm dating.  We'll see how the girls take it.  I'd be glad to share that experience with people. 

Penguinn

« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2015, 01:40:28 PM »

I think you shouldn't make the decision of whether to talk about LL with a partner right now. Wait until you've found said partner, and depending on how she is you can choose to tell her or not.

DragonTurtle

• Visitor
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2015, 02:41:24 AM »

Hi Iamready, I have been reading your diary closely - it's very helpful! I am going to be in West Palm Beach on Dec 16 - 17 for my consultation with Dr. Paley. Do you think I could meet with you and see how you are doing?

Iamready

« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »

Dragon PM me your number i'd be glad to meet.

here are last Friday's x-rays and a pic of in flats which when all is said dine is all i will wear.  there will be a bonfire for all my boots and lifts and everyone is invited.

ortholengthening

« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2015, 05:54:07 AM »

looking good!
great to see some callus on the x-ray.
nice shoes!

when are you thinking of doing the femurs?

Iamready

« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »

Thanks Femurs are in Feb once the Tibs are done.

53dude

« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:08 PM »

Great!
How are things going? With the pain and all?
Found new stuff to do already?

Iamready

« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »

Pain still sucks.  All I can really focus on is my exercises.  I'm still extending at .05mm a day because it's less painful.  They keep lowering the dose of my pain meds which is annoying because someone I know who is a month into it longer than me and is 6 years younger gets a higher dose.  Just gotta deal with it and become stronger.  I think it might be easier for femur patients because it's the torture boots that cause all the pain.  It's basically a medieval chastity belt for your Achilles tendon and if you loosen it up your parole officer is notified and you go to the clink.

53dude

« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »

When the procedure on the tibia ends and how long are you lengthening?

Iamready

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2015, 01:31:20 AM »

If my flexibility holds up and i'm allowed to continue at .05mm i'd go to 6.5 but lets get to 5 cm first.  It's a bit ridiculous talking about final goals now since i'm only half way.  Who knows what could happen.  It would take till my next surgery Feb 18 to reach 6.5cm.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »

Hate to break it to you but femurs are painful, too. Actually, reading a few diaries of people who did both said that tibia hurts less than femurs.
Link to my experience
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Up