Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mitkovic veteran patient - AMA (Ask Me Anything)  (Read 25738 times)

Alu

Re: Mitkovic veteran patient - AMA (Ask Me Anything)
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 02:12:53 AM »

Hey Vetpat,

I have some more obscure general questions:

How did you find about LL? Was it through a community? (I.E: The old forum) How did you find this one and what made you want to share your story?

I'm just curious is all, I don't mean to impose.

vetpat

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 02:56:31 AM »

What do you think of people talking crap about Mitkovic because of misalignments and poor aftercare?

Tough question.

My procedure went fine. Same for many patients I've met. The ones who had more serious problems were:
- One was at home using crutches and had an accident. He fell putting too much pressure in one leg during the fall. It set him back for a few more weeks (or maybe a month) and doctor kept visiting him often, helping to re-align.
- Two patients traveled there to fix problems they've had with an Indian doctor. They were quite bad to start with and decided to fix tibias and do femurs!

Probably there was more complications I'm not aware. Don't take my word for it. If you plan to do the procedure, read all stories, diaries and meet patients in person before going to the operation room.

I'm guessing some misalignment might be due to your legs being a little misaligned to start with. If you look yourself in the mirror, you'll see your tibias aren't perfectly aligned. Stretching might increase that imperfection.

As for the aftercare, don't know what to say. Some patients expect doctor to visit them EVERYDAY for the whole procedure (many months). Doctor is there to do the surgery and give you instructions on how to proceed after. You might call him if you have something serious. Since I had contact with many other patients, they could answer me better. Most were about pains, how to take shower, where to buy a wheelchair, positions to sleep... things like that.

People have different opinions. Like all reviews, pay attention and make your mind. See what makes sense. I could be some Indian hired to post fake reviews praising doctor. Best advice I can give is for you to meet as many patients as possible and see with your own eyes.

vetpat

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »

Hey Vetpat,

I have some more obscure general questions:

How did you find about LL? Was it through a community? (I.E: The old forum) How did you find this one and what made you want to share your story?

I'm just curious is all, I don't mean to impose.

Can't remember exactly to be honest. Maybe a website called shortpeoplesupport. The old forum was useful so I could read the experience directly from patients.
First I knew about procedure. I searched for forums to find more information. Email doctor. Then I traveled to meet him and see patients for myself. If I didn't felt the procedure was safe, I would back off.

A friend of mine told me he still frequents the forum and asked me if I did the same. I told him It was years without visiting. I saw a new one emerged and decided to contribute. This procedure can improve your life and if you have the money, time and will to do it, go for it.

I'll continue to answer questions for all January. Then I'll continue with my life. You forget about LL when the procedure ends and you start enjoying your new height.

Alu

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 03:21:21 AM »

I'll continue to answer questions for all January. Then I'll continue with my life. You forget about LL when the procedure ends and you start enjoying your new height.

That's maybe the best thing I've heard in this forum in a long time lol. (especially great since I'm also aiming for around 5'7). I'm glad you're at least enjoying life now that's really reassuring.

Has anyone ever told you look leggy or anything like that or any other comments? (I have better questions but it's somewhat late and I'm tired so I'll ask them another day  ;D ::)

vetpat

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »

Has anyone ever told you look leggy or anything like that or any other comments? (I have better questions but it's somewhat late and I'm tired so I'll ask them another day  ;D ::)

Not really. I got a lot of attention when I was walking in shorts using the device (without crutches). I don't recommend that.
Apart from that, only people curious about the scars. Maybe 5 occasions total.
1 was my girlfriend. Always the same answer "It's a long and sad story".
2 friends of mine (not at the same time); when sitting with my leg crossed with my tibia facing them. - What's that scar? Same reply "It's a long and sad story". That's it. Period.
1 waiter in a club's pool. He asked me if I practiced martial arts.

As for being leggy or something similar, nope. Never. In the old forum, there was an interesting reply to that question.

It is better to look a "little strange" to few people than "very short" to everyone.

I'm not concerned about my proportions because I've seen people my (new) height with the same tibia size. After surgery I used to pay attention when sitting next to people. Later you forget about that.

aspirant185

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 11:52:32 PM »

Since you lengthened 5.5 cm, at what point did you feel that the pain started to become really unbearable and did you, for example, at 4 or 4.5 thought that is good enough ? Or alternatively, did you think you could go to 6 or beyond ?

Another thing: In order to minimize loss of muscle when they are inactice, doctors usually suggest the use of quality food supplements, for example protein bars, BCAA amino acids, glutamine, creatine. Have you used any of these ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:20:09 AM by aspirant185 »
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Alu

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »

Back on the leggy comment, do you personally feel like you could lengthen more if you wanted too and if so how much?

vetpat

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »

Since you lengthened 5.5 cm, at what point did you feel that the pain started to become really unbearable and did you, for example, at 4 or 4.5 thought that is good enough ? Or alternatively, did you think you could go to 6 or beyond ?

Another thing: In order to minimize loss of muscle when they are inactice, doctors usually suggest the use of quality food supplements, for example protein bars, BCAA amino acids, glutamine, creatine. Have you used any of these ?

I wouldn't say unbearable but I had problem sleeping during the first month. I'm not used to sleep on my back. Many times during the first month I woke up at night with some pain. I had to sit, wait something like 20min before going back to sleep. Many patients take medication but I advise you against.
After certain mark (can't remember) you feel pain since your muscles are constantly stretched. When you do stretching (ie. in the GYM), you stretch for a minute and stop. The muscle returns to normal to recover. In LL the muscle does not rest. I had to stop twice or thrice due to pain. You stop for a day and return stretching normally the next.

So... You stretch for 45 days (more or less). if you feel pain, stop for a day before continuing. You might get ballerina foot since your muscles are constantly stretched. When you stop lengthening, the pain goes away and everything gets easier since any pain goes away.
For exercise, I recommend you to simply stand up few times a day. I used to pee and wash the dishes while standing. Get a walker and use it at home.

As for target mark, hard to say. Your legs are going to lose a lot of muscle for not exercising so it doesn't matter how good your diet is. Luckily Serbia has a very good diet. Plenty of meat (protein), yogurt (protein and calcium), etc... As for vitamins, I bought only calcium tablets.

Even if you stretch 1cm, you'll think that's enough (proportions wise) because your legs are going to look skinny. I didn't want to push too much and you can always do a second op if you're not happy. Better to do 5+5 than 7+3 or 7+5 proportion/mobility-wise.

vetpat

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »

Back on the leggy comment, do you personally feel like you could lengthen more if you wanted too and if so how much?

As I explained in my previous post.

Most patients stretch to the 7cm mark. But they were already 5'7 to 5'9. I don't regret doing "only" 5.5cm. If I feel like a need more, I'll do a second operation.

Not related, here's a pic from my tibia.

Want More

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »

You have realy bulky leg. Do you maybe have picture after surgery becuse everyone after surgery lose muscle,mean everyone after surgery have slim legs. Thank you :)
I need only 5cm.

vetpat

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »

My calf got bigger after the procedure and I love it.

CORRECTION:

It took me 90 days to stretch 5.5cm and not 45 as I mentioned in another post. Sorry for the mistake.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:18:41 AM by vetpat »

Alittletooshort

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 11:48:33 AM »

Do you remember how much wheight you gained from the 5.5cm lengthening? After you've built up your muscles back up to a point that was similar to your pre op level?

aspirant185

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »

90 days for 5.5 cm. What about 5 cm ? Is it true that after the 5th cm, it starts getting really slowly ?
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

tx1111

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »

When you say your calf got bugger after the operation, do you mean it got bigger after you finished distraction or after you finished consolidation. Do you know why it got buligger? Did you exercise them or it just happened?

vetpat

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2016, 10:53:44 PM »

Do you remember how much wheight you gained from the 5.5cm lengthening? After you've built up your muscles back up to a point that was similar to your pre op level?

Doubt the extra weight is significant. Any extra weight could be extra gut in your belly for staying in your wheelchair for months.

vetpat

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »

90 days for 5.5 cm. What about 5 cm ? Is it true that after the 5th cm, it starts getting really slowly ?

If you mean timing, not really. Patients stretch up to 7cm without stopping often. I stopped 2 or 3 times. But going from 5 to 7cm is 40% more distance/time/recovery.

When you say your calf got bugger after the operation, do you mean it got bigger after you finished distraction or after you finished consolidation. Do you know why it got buligger? Did you exercise them or it just happened?

After I finished consolidation (walking without crutches) they became big. It is good since your legs look better. If they were skinny, it'll look disproportionate.

aspirant185

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »

You mentioned that you were able to walk at month 5 after surgery. However, you never said how much time after surgery did you have you frames removed ? When you still had the frames, could you keep them below the pants/jeans and walk outside without people noticing ?
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

Alittletooshort

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:37 PM »

The frames are too big to not be noticed, I don´ t think that usual pants can be worn above the frames. Usually people wear pants that are quit loose as long as they are in frames.
The Salameh fix can be worn under your pants though.
1,5-2 months is the usual timespan you for every cm lengthened. I´d like to hear Vetpat´s reply too.

aspirant185

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2016, 11:54:32 PM »

I am fine wearing some loose paints as long as it still maes sense. I mean it would be obvious but  I can always tell I had an accident and need to wear this to help me heal my bones from the break which is technically absolutely true :D 
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

vetpat

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »

I kept the device for 7 months. I was scared to remove the device and have any problem being away from doctor but it was okay since I was walking for many months. And doing the steps to remove the device. It's like the Man in The Iron Mask removing the helmet. A great sensation.
The pins were a little painful (first unscrews). Doing it very slowly was the key. I filmed but lost due to formatting my computer.

I could use the device under jeans (to travel) but clearly noticeable. Same for any pants. You can't hide it.

Keep Growing

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2016, 09:08:54 PM »

Do you need to somehow lock this device after lengthening?

vetpat

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »

^^

Yes. Otherwise your body weight goes only in the pins. When you lock the device, it gives you an extra point of safety. It's just an extra screw. It's the same one you close to "reset" the device. If you're not familiar, the pin stretch something like 2cm, 3cm max. Then you lock the device, move some part close so you can move the pin to the beginning so you have another 2cm, 3cm to turn. Hard to explain.

There's a process. I lengthen for 3 months and the other 4 was for consolidation. In the last two weeks (aprox.), you unscrew the pin the same way you used to increase height. You lose a few mm from compression. When you see there is no more compression, it mean your bone is strong enough to hold your weight. I was quite scared. I removed the pins and kept the device acting like a fork holding a suspension (suspension=bone). Maybe it wasn't necessary but I was 15hs plane from Serbia and didn't want to take risks.

aspirant185

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »

I am leaning towards doing 4 cm. Do you think it is realistic to have the device removed after month 5 ? Or more so after month 6 ?
I decided that since in 3-4 years when I save more money I would do a 2nd surgery, internal femurs, in the longer run there is hardly a difference between doing 4 or 5 now so I decided to go for the lesser evil :)

btw, after the frames were removed, did you experience slight difference lets say 1-2 mm between the two legs and did you also experience some sort of slight contraction, a few mm, things that some Mitkovic patients report to have experienced.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:54:13 PM by aspirant185 »
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

vetpat

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2016, 08:00:02 PM »

^^

You shouldn't count on doing under certain time. If you're athletic, recover fast (I never got an injury going to the gym in my +14 years), have a good diet, doesn't smoke, etc... You might be able BUT, even if you could I would keep the device for as long as possible JUST IN CASE.

If you have 178cm, you might do 5cm, even 6cm without messing your proportions. I don't think you'll gain a lot of benefits going from 6ft to 6'2 IMO. The eventual risks/complications/cost does not compensate an extra surgery. Maybe you live in Netherlands were 6ft is average, then I could be wrong.

I experienced compression (losing a few mm) during the process of removing the device. You don't remove the device at once. As I said in a previous post, you unscrew to release the pin so your bone compresses the callus (consolidation). It's the same process as stretching but the opposite direction. I lost maybe 5mm max. When you unscrew and you notice it doesn't compress further, you know your bone is strong enough to hold your weight. It's a good measure, specially for those patients who push the 7cm to 8cm mark.

About the mm difference in my legs, no, I haven't noticed. I heard you won't notice difference if it is below certain distance. I was concerned about misalignment but it was in my head since people's legs aren't 100% symmetrical. Just look at the mirror. Ask any friend or relative to put his feet together and raise the shorts.

ub40

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2016, 02:37:05 AM »

Can you give us a brief timeline? If i chose to stay in Serbia for the whole process including removal how long donuou think it would take for 6 cms? Are accomodations and getting a nurse expensive?

Thanks for doing this, I like the way his externals look compared to others?

Oh and how would you rate serbian chicks?
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

aspirant185

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2016, 02:41:23 AM »

Oh and how would you rate serbian chicks?

I can answer to that as well because I live next to Serbia and visited the country many times.
Serbian girls are very hot but I doubt they would be interested in half crippled guys in a wheelchair :D

Further, they dress really nicely and often wear heels for no obvious reason, like when going for groceries :)
With that being said, you can always use tinder and start a chat, telling a girl that you are a tourist in Nis and you had an accident and had to have ur legs taken care of. Btw Nis is a student town with over 10 000 students and most are girls. In Eastern Europe, because of the WW II, generally the male:female rations tends to be around 47:53 and in some countries like Russia/Ukraine that took the biggest hit, as high as high 42:58
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

vetpat

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »

Let me start with the chicks question:

I guess you can find better answers in anold forum but I can say they look like the typical ex yugo/soviet countries. Decent height (from 5'5 to 5'7 mostly), white, decent breasts size, good ratio for us men (more women than men), friendly and approachable and more importantly, you don't see fatties as you see in US (thank god). Skin not that smooth and many smoke. Above average worldwide speaking. If you come from US you'll love it.

Some patients dated local girls. Being a foreigner is a plus (in 90% of the world anyways). You can pick up girls even in your wheelchair but if you have "game" I advise you to go there a month before operation so you can find a girlfriend who's willing to stay with you during the procedure. Don't be cheap and the relationship should be good for BOTH. Rent a place, pay for everything (groceries, going out, taxi, etc). She'll be dating a cripple for Christ sake.

I've heard funny stories about being in a wheelchair. Car accident, plane accident (LOL), "correction", skydiving (that's my favorite), you name it. The impression I had is that ANYONE knew about it. All the cab drivers knew, people at supermarket (when people help me out to reach something they asked me how my recovery was), waitresses (don't have to be a genius when you see plenty of foreigners all the time normally and then in a wheelchair)... To your new girlfriend you should explain. She'll try to advise you against and think you're an idiot for doing it (they can't understand how a healthy person do it since they don't see height as a problem like us westerners). For everyone just do as me, say it's a long and sad story. People won't bother.

Can't say how prices are since it's been +5 years. I paid 200 euro (+100 euro for expenses like heating, internet, tv, etc) for a 3 bedroom apartment. I spent around a $1000 dollars monthly going out everyday practically. Including bandage changing at hospital many times, cab once or twice a week, etc.
Dollar strengthened against all currencies so I GUESS you might be able to live with a $1000 dollars these days. I recommend you to ask some patient who's there right now to give you updated prices.

As for hospital, you don't need more than a week. RENT AN APARTMENT BEFORE YOU DO OPERATION. You don't want to start looking for places in a wheelchair.

Don't know if you're asking about the device but they're okay. In the beginning they're more visible wearing pants since the bars are way above your knees. Then it's less noticeable. They're heavy but you just notice it when you remove them. I used to keep the device as a memory but threw it away (no point in keeping it). It's great compared to others since there is no pins in your muscles.

For 6 cm I guess you're going to keep the device for the same time as me. 7 months aprox.

ub40

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

Thanks for the response man, I'm just joking about the girls. I hate the feeling of someone feeling sorry for me so I wouldn't want a girl friend while I'm in a wheel chair. I would actually rather hire a nurse or caretaker then a Gf. I might hire one of the those university students to teach me a language though.

Now after 7 months were you able to walk or is there a few months of consolidation after getting those removed? Because 7 months sounds reasonable, I've heard around 11 months for ex fix.
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Alu

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »

Would you ever be willing to post a video of sorts showing your recovery or anymore pictures? If not then that's understandable.

Anyways, how was it getting used to having longer legs then what you'd naturally been used to? I.E: any sort of movements or actions that are now ackward or difficult to do. I'm talking about both exercise and day to day life.

When you are laying down do you ever look at your legs and think about whether they are too long?

I'm assuming your Tibia are either equal length to your femurs or possibly greater, how does that dynamic work?

And lastly, do you personally feel, now that you have done 5 CM, that you (getting 3 cm extra in the femurs) or someone else doing 8 CM (say either in one segment or spreading it out into the two) would be too much?

vetpat

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2016, 07:13:43 PM »

Thanks for the response man, I'm just joking about the girls. I hate the feeling of someone feeling sorry for me so I wouldn't want a girl friend while I'm in a wheel chair. I would actually rather hire a nurse or caretaker then a Gf. I might hire one of the those university students to teach me a language though.

Now after 7 months were you able to walk or is there a few months of consolidation after getting those removed? Because 7 months sounds reasonable, I've heard around 11 months for ex fix.

Unfortunately not everyone knows you're going to recover so you see people on the streets feeling sorry for you. I remember going to Merkator (a local shopping) and taking the elevator. When you reach the 2nd floor (I think) there's a cafe and all clients looks at you. I don't know if it is because they know you've done the procedure but It was embarrassing in the beginning. Maybe it was all in my mind since later It was all fine and I used to buy groceries there too. Just carry a backpack in your wheelchair.

IMPORTANT:
You can use Google Translator CROATIAN X YOUR LANGUAGE. If you use SERBIAN, you'll see only Cyrillic. If I knew that I would've learned a lot more.

Ask some nurse if it is possible for her to change your bandages at home. I think you should change it weekly. No funny business. Just to save $.

I was able to walk after 4 months with crutches. I had some ballerina foot so I had to use sneakers to walk. My muscles adapted after without problems so it's just a matter of time. Most patients take a little longer to walk. I used the walker at home everyday (going to the bathroom, washing dishes, etc).

3 months to stretch.
4th month to walk.
7th month to remove the device.

Four months was enough for ME to consolidate. If you lengthen more, do less exercise, have a poorer diet, etc, you might take longer. If in doubt, you can take an X-RAY to see how it goes.

From Alu:
Would you ever be willing to post a video of sorts showing your recovery or anymore pictures? If not then that's understandable.

Anyways, how was it getting used to having longer legs then what you'd naturally been used to? I.E: any sort of movements or actions that are now awkward or difficult to do. I'm talking about both exercise and day to day life.

When you are laying down do you ever look at your legs and think about whether they are too long?

I'm assuming your Tibia are either equal length to your femurs or possibly greater, how does that dynamic work?

And lastly, do you personally feel, now that you have done 5 CM, that you (getting 3 cm extra in the femurs) or someone else doing 8 CM (say either in one segment or spreading it out into the two) would be too much?

I wouldn't mind if I knew how to cover my face in the video.

In the beginning you'll get more conscious about your legs, proportions, etc. I knew I had surgery and I kept a close eye. When you recover muscles it's less noticeable so you won't think about it after. Just came here because a friend told me about it and I thought I could post something to help future patients. Not only for Mitkovic's but for any LL patient.

As I said in a previous post, no loss in movement but when you crouch, you notice your ankles doesn't touch your buttocks anymore. Unless you crouch "differently" (staying in your toes). Anyways, it is bad for your knees so when I have to crouch, I do it like babies (the correct way), with your ankles touching the floor. Same movement when you do squats in the gym (correctly).

At 5'7, I would love to do another 3cm (maybe 4cm) in my femurs if I had the time and patience. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle. When you remove the device after 7 months, you just want to enjoy your new height.

Do I regret not doing more? Not for a second.

Don't know your height but I advise ANYONE to do 2 inches (5cm) in tibia first. If you still feel short, do an extra surgery in the future.

Peaceout

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »

Im really glad that your friend told you about this forum.You are very helpful. :)
And it would be awesome if yu can post that video.You can use a mask.If you dont have it maybe use a program to cover your face or my last option is just use sunglasses,hat and a scarf so you will be covered %100
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up