Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral Tibia Lengthening and Varus correction with TSF  (Read 37692 times)

fujitora

Re: Bilateral Tibia Lengthening and Varus correction with TSF
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »

Nov 6th Update

I went to the hospital today to get new set of X-Rays. Callus formation looks good considering that I'm at 7 months post surgery. Ballerina has also gotten lot better. When I stand for 10 minutes my heel touches the ground. I intend to continue the current exercise regime to keep up the progress. Also, I decided not to go with PRP therapy or Stem cell therapy for accelerated bone healing because the callus formation looks good and I want to avoid any unnecessary complications by taking short cuts.

X-Rays:

Supplements that I'm taking since beginning of consolidation:
  • Spirex Forte: This is a tablet form of supplement for Calcium, Zinc & Vitamin D3. I'm taking 1 pill a day at random time
  • Depura 60k Vitamin D3 Oral Solution: This is an oral liquid form of supplement to rapidly boost Vitamin D3 levels, which is essential to improve your calcium absorption capacity. It comes in a 5ml ready to drink shot that I take one every week on empty stomach first thing in the morning.
Pre-Op Height: 160.5 cms
Surgery performed by Dr. Manish Dhawan at Sir Gangaram Hospital on 4th April 2016
Lengthening stopped on 14th Sept 2016
Current height: 165 cms (5 cm)
Frames removed on March 19th 2017 | Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3499.0

Bander72

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2016, 02:09:18 PM »

It looks like you're making a good recovery. So you have 5 more months then of wearing the device.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

fujitora

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »

It looks like you're making a good recovery. So you have 5 more months then of wearing the device.

Yep! Hopefully things go smooth from here. I'm aiming for March for frames removal. Phoenix also had surgery in April and got off the frames in March.
Surgery performed by Dr. Manish Dhawan at Sir Gangaram Hospital on 4th April 2016
Frames removed on March 19th 2017 | Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3499.0

Arch

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »

Hi there!

Hope you are doing fine, I have read your diary carefully and it's a shame he didn't fixed your leg in a proper way.
It turned out to be ok afterwards but still...

I'm very amazed how your consolidation is going very well!

Trust me, you do not want to take shortcuts, just let it heal naturally, you have good bone formation unlike some others.

Keep us updated, and have a good day!

fujitora

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »

Hi there!

Hope you are doing fine, I have read your diary carefully and it's a shame he didn't fixed your leg in a proper way.
It turned out to be ok afterwards but still...

I'm very amazed how your consolidation is going very well!

Trust me, you do not want to take shortcuts, just let it heal naturally, you have good bone formation unlike some others.

Keep us updated, and have a good day!
Thanks Arch. Sure, will do.

I also want to cover how about ballerina in a separate response - in terms of what worked for me and what didn't, what's the least painful yet effective way to treat it. That should be very helpful for folks who choose tibia lengthening.

Arch

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2016, 08:28:54 PM »

Yo Fujitora,

You have only lenghtened 5-6Cm, wich is considered very safe, I dont think you should be worried that much about ballerina foot, with many people it goes after a period of time.
Just do not forget to stretch your legs everyday properly.

I am more concerned about your bone overall, it has gone thru a lot.

Have you been stretching and walking properly during your distraction phase?

Sorry if you already posted about this.

Have a good journey!
Arch

fujitora

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »

Yo Fujitora,

You have only lenghtened 5-6Cm, wich is considered very safe, I dont think you should be worried that much about ballerina foot, with many people it goes after a period of time.
Just do not forget to stretch your legs everyday properly.

I am more concerned about your bone overall, it has gone thru a lot.

Have you been stretching and walking properly during your distraction phase?

Sorry if you already posted about this.

Have a good journey!
Arch

Hey

Don't underestimate ballerina. Just because a person did less than 6 cm doesn't guarantee that you wont get ballerina. Even with regular stretching and walking (yes- I did walk during lengthening phase as well, about 30 - 2 hours daily) I got ballerina in left leg. Because I didn't lengthen both the legs in parallel, I had severe ballerina in left leg and very minimal in my right. So when I walk it was difficult to balance my weight as all the weight gets transferred onto the right leg. It also results in knee bending while walking, to compensate for the ankle lift.

Everybody responds differently to this procedure and it took me about 3 months to see visible results. Ballerina is very very stubborn. I cannot insist more. Ballerina has to be dealt with proper technique and perseverance, otherwise you'll end up with gait (walking on toes) forever.

fujitora

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »

Update#Dec 23rd 2016

Things have gone extremely well since my last update, 46 days ago. Ballerina is almost gone, I only have muscle tightness in the morning and when I sit for extended hours. Once I stand for couple of minutes it goes away. My walking has also improved significantly. I'm now walking with crutches and no longer using zimmer frame. I can walk without any support but I bend my back and don't have a strong footing. So I want to continue on crutches for some more time. I met with a local orthopedic doctor last month and he also suggested me not to walk without support as my legs are still weak, and I might develop duck a$$ (anterior pelvis tilt) if I continue to do so.

My bone growth has also been significant. I posted the most recent X-Rays, so you can take a look. I met with Dr. Deepak Raina today to discuss about estimated time period for frame removal and possibility of plating if necessary. He mentioned that my bone growth is excellent and I don't need plating at this stage. He said I can start loosing some struts to transfer more weight onto the bone. He suggested that I start with a particular strut on each leg and start loosening one every couple of days, until I'm left with only 3 struts on each leg. If the remaining struts can hold the bone then the frames can be removed by end of January. I was so excited to hear that. However, I want to take things slowly. I want to hold off for couple more weeks before I start doing it, and I'm okay even if I get my frames off by end of February. Like KiloKahn mentioned in his diary - "A month late is much safer than a day early."

I hope things stay on track and I get off the frames by end of Feb. Fingers crossed!!

I want to finish this post wishing you all in advance merry Christmas and a very happy and prosperous new year.

Latest X-Rays:

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2016, 11:32:21 PM »

A happy and healthy new year to you.

If I read correctly, you will likely be in frames for almost an entire year after the surgery. Isn't this a rather long time for a lengthening of "only" 5 cms, or is such a long timeframe really the norm?

Cheers.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

fujitora

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2016, 06:13:59 AM »

A happy and healthy new year to you.

If I read correctly, you will likely be in frames for almost an entire year after the surgery. Isn't this a rather long time for a lengthening of "only" 5 cms, or is such a long timeframe really the norm?

Cheers.

Thank you, wish you the same.

Yeah, I must be honest here. Being one year in frames is not worth for just gaining 5cm. But I had to deal with some complications along the way and I'm just happy that I didn't end up having any permanent problems. Also, I wouldn't have opted for having a Nail which can potentially open up a whole array of problems (like Knee pain, bone infection and another surgery for removal). So I way I see it is that I traded short term convenience for long term safety.

alps

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2016, 06:30:34 AM »

Thank you, wish you the same.

Yeah, I must be honest here. Being one year in frames is not worth for just gaining 5cm. But I had to deal with some complications along the way and I'm just happy that I didn't end up having any permanent problems. Also, I wouldn't have opted for having a Nail which can potentially open up a whole array of problems (like Knee pain, bone infection and another surgery for removal). So I way I see it is that I traded short term convenience for long term safety.

It's ok man. Time flies. If this process made height an insignificant matter to you, I think then it served its purpose.

fujitora

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »

It's ok man. Time flies. If this process made height an insignificant matter to you, I think then it served its purpose.

Hey man! How are you doing ? Yep, time flew by like anything. I can't believe that I'm almost towards the end of the journey. Height, right now, doesn't feel so significant anymore. I don't know if that's because I have greater problems to deal with, or because my height fits in better now, at least to Indian standards. Only time will tell. But I'm sure as hell that I'm not going to try something like this again, as in break my femur for few more cms. I now have a greater sense of appreciation of what I had or still have, which I took for granted before this journey.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »

Hey man! How are you doing ? Yep, time flew by like anything. I can't believe that I'm almost towards the end of the journey. Height, right now, doesn't feel so significant anymore. I don't know if that's because I have greater problems to deal with, or because my height fits in better now, at least to Indian standards. Only time will tell. But I'm sure as hell that I'm not going to try something like this again, as in break my femur for few more cms. I now have a greater sense of appreciation of what I had or still have, which I took for granted before this journey.

Would you do it again if you could go back in time?

fujitora

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »

Would you do it again if you could go back in time?
Nope. I would not. It doesn't feel worth it, considering the fact that I ended up crippled for a year and would need a year more to gain back my old flexibility and strength. Since I was extremely short, my desire to become averagely tall made me underestimate the amount of pain and suffering I had to go through. I'm a couch potato and hardly ever went to gym in my life. So exercising up to 4 hours everyday and eating healthy food is very challenging for me.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »

Brutal honesty. Thank you for telling us that.

But there will still be benefits for you, no? Your height neurosis existed, and had you not done the surgery, it might have existed for god knows how long, perhaps until the end of your life. And even though your new height is not "perfect", it's already a good chunk better than your old one, and this will always benefit you regarding your previous bad feelings about your height. This counts for something I assume. But if the price was too high, perhaps you still regret having it done.

fujitora

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »

Brutal honesty. Thank you for telling us that.

But there will still be benefits for you, no? Your height neurosis existed, and had you not done the surgery, it might have existed for god knows how long, perhaps until the end of your life. And even though your new height is not "perfect", it's already a good chunk better than your old one, and this will always benefit you regarding your previous bad feelings about your height. This counts for something I assume. But if the price was too high, perhaps you still regret having it done.

You're right. If I hadn't done this surgery I would've had height neurosis all my life and regret for not doing it. I still haven't met any people that were part of my life prior to LL. So I don't know how these 5 cms gain translates exactly. Perhaps I would have a better appreciation when I meet them.

fujitora

Walking video
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »

12/31/2016: Walking Video

I would like to finish this year by posting a video of me walking. It was shot today, which is approximately 9 months post surgery.

fujitora

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:22 PM »

Feb 21st 2017 Update:- Almost there!!

I went to consult with a local orthopedic surgeon, someone that I've consulted couple of times over the last few months, to discuss about frame removal and my progress. I've been walking unaided a lot (2 to 3 hours a day) for the past two months, so I was hoping to get positive feedback. Good news is that the callus formation has been quite good. It's also distributed and not saturated in one area, which is a testament for my walking and other physical efforts. He examined by legs, pressed around the area where the corticotomy was done to analyse bone density and strength. Goods news is that my left leg is almost done and quite strong. My right leg, which I feared the most as it had gone through two surgeries, has caught up quite a bit with very good callus formation. The callus however was not as strong as on the left leg. So he advised me to plan for frame removal process over a span of one and half month (end of march).

Frame removal approach suggested by him:
He suggested to get the thick rods taken out first. That would transfer more load on to the wires and the newly formed callus. Stay mobile (walking and physical therapy) for few weeks and then unscrew one distractor at a time (I have 6 distractors per leg) for the next few weeks. Once all the distractors are unscrewed, remove the wires and the TSF frame, and walk with the support of brace. Brace is nothing but a plastic custom made support that latches onto your knees and lower leg (till ankle), that firmly holds your leg. It helps keep the bone aligned and straight against the angular forces that your bones are subjected to when you walk. I told him that I don't wish to go through surgery for frame removal because I want to limit my expenses and would be willing to tolerate some pain if needed.

I'm still thinking about his suggestion. I'll make up my mind by end of this week. I don't want to rush. I couldn't share X-Ray pictures because imgur seems to be down since yesterday. I'll post them in my next update. Also, I still have slight ballerina in my left leg. I also have morning tightness and need to stretch for few mins to keep the leg muscles going. I can walk unaided but I still have difficulty standing still. When I stand still, my body topples and I have to exert counter force on my ankles to stay still. My hips, knees and ankle should stay neutral and at ease when I stand still, but that isn't whats happening in my case. I guess I need a bit more flexibility in my ankles before I can walk or stand normally.

doomsday

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2017, 12:26:29 AM »

Hi fujitora

Can you post your xrays from the side view?

fujitora

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »

fujitora

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »

March 17th Update - Suffered bad skin infection for the past 15 days.

Hi All -

Just want to update you what has happened over the last few weeks. Few days after my update on Feb 20th, I got a severe skin infection. I'll copy paste the update I posted on Unicorn's diary, in case you haven't read it. 

I got bad skin infection/itch near one of the pin site. I found out the next day that I got it from one of the servant here who cleans up my room. He had a bad infection on his toes, and he cleaned my room with the same dirty hands he uses to scratch his itch on his toes. That's gross and he didn't bother telling me until it's too late.That's unacceptable, and I forbid him from entering my room from that day. The infection was spreading badly, so I went to a near by dermatologist. I spent 15 mins and explained my whole story. After listening to everything, he outright refused to treat me. He said he hasn't dealt with an infection involving external frames, and I should seek medication from no one else but my orthopedist. Then I had to go to another orthopedist, who said it's a superficial skin infection (which means its just peripheral infection over the skin and not a deep infection, which could potentially lead to bone infection) and only a dermatologist is the right person to treat it. Then I had to find another dermatologist with good ratings on the internet, as the first one refused to treat me. I took an Uber cab to get there. After reaching the destination,  I found out that the address posted on google was obsolete. I was just left there alone with dirty and crowd roads. I couldn't ask the same cab to continue the journey because he got another ride. Then the unexpected happened. I lost mobile network coverage in that area!!! I had to walk past couple of lanes on these metal frames while everyone on the road are watching me, had to restart my phone twice, and then the signal was back. Then I finally got the signal back and booked a cab again to go the dermatologist.  I got there, waited for 30 mins as there were other patients waiting in the queue, and then I got to meet her(dermatologist) and spent time explaining the whole thing again and she prescribed some medication and antibiotics for 5 days. I took the medicines for 5 days but was no improvement and I had to go back to her after 5 days and she gave me another ointment. I took them for 5 days and now the infection has spread to all the other pin sites. Good thing is that this new ointment healed the infection that I originally had. So at least I now have hope from that it works, and I have to apply that to all the pin sites. I'm also getting blood tests and skin culture tests performed tomorrow, just to be sure. Remember I was all alone and had to go everywhere on foot with these big metal around your legs, you become an eye magnet.

Luckily, the infection has receded over the last week. I'm so glad that things didn't become worse. It sucks to go through this when you're almost at the end of your LL journey. Here is a picture of the infection.

Here are some technical details for LL nerds (no offence):
Root cause identified by dermatologist: Bacterial Infection.
Prescribed medication:
  • Supirocin Ointment for 5 days. It didn't work.
  • Momate F Cream ointment was prescribed later, when Supirocin rendered ineffective. After applying that for 5 days, things started to get better
  • Clavan 625. This is an antibiotic. Prescribed for 5 days, twice a day. Then extended for 5 more days
  • Xyzal. This is for anti-infection, and minimize itching sensation around infected areas. Had to take this pill once a day, for 10 days, before going to bed
  • I also had blood test and skin culture tests performed, just to be cautious.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »

Scars look rly decent

fujitora

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »

Scars look rly decent

Yeah, I feel the same too.  I found in general that the whiter your skin is, the less prominent scars are.

Bander72

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »

Yeah, I feel the same too.  I found in general that the whiter your skin is, the less prominent scars are.

My scars would not be too bad then since my legs are white.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

fujitora

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »

My scars would not be too bad then since my legs are white.

Yep. Good for you.

Chris

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »

I'm glad you got this infection under control.
I had necrosis around one of my pins on my right leg. I didn't mention it in my diary, maybe I should.
Anyway... I know how stressful it is to sit there "in spe" that something might finally cure it.

Good luck with the rest of your journey  :)

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »

I had necrosis around one of my pins on my right leg. I didn't mention it in my diary, maybe I should.
Anyway... I know how stressful it is to sit there "in spe" that something might finally cure it.

I think you should chris. People need to know all risks possible. And if you had necrosis, it means it is also one of them
I learned some stuff during this time

fujitora

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »

Thanks Chris.

fujitora

Frames are finally off after 11 months 18 days
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2017, 04:27:27 PM »

March 19th Update: Frames are finally taken off :)

I had my frames taken off on Sunday March 19th!!!! :) The feeling is priceless and I have no words to express my ecstasy!!!
I have a very bad head ache since yesterday due to anesthesia, so I'm resting most of the time. I'll post more information in a few days.

doomsday

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »

Congrats man! Enjoy new height!

Chris

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »

This is awesome news! :D
I'm only one inch taller and it already feels great, 2 inches must feel like day and night. But I imagine you're probably used to it already after all this time.
I'll have to wear one of my monorail fixators for another 2-3 month (4,5 month in total). I think I could never live one year in frames.
So you have my respect.

Enjoy your new height and hopefully new life, you have earned it!

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up