Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 cm LON external Tibias with Dr. Amar Sarin,India  (Read 2613 times)

jinn169

• Visitor
6 cm LON external Tibias with Dr. Amar Sarin,India
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

Today is my last day of lengthening phase,tomorrow I am getting my frames removed.I fell I still have long way to go.
I have been away from this forum for a while, so I can be more optimistic during my lengthening phase and also bit busy with my work.

I did learn a lot from this forum so this post is a contribution from my side to future LLers. I have been logging my dairy regularly during my entire lengthening phase so I can post in this form.I tried to be impartial and factaul as much as I can and also logged all my important aspects till date, so here it goes:

August 20th (Appointment with Dr. Sarin):

I talked with the Physiotherapist over the phone earlier and I was asked to come over to the Guest house for consultation with Dr Sarin.
I came to the guest house and  met couple of patients there, everyone has given positive feedback about the treatment and care. After a while, Dr. Sarin arrived at the guest house. My consultation with  him was pretty quick as I do not have much questions, I specifically asked whether  I could  able to work (WFH) during the LL process, I was told it will not be a problem ( I feel really relieved as I do not want any impact on my career).
My surgery is scheduled on 26th August(Friday) and I had applied leaves for 26th , 29th and 30th  as I was told it may take  at least 1 week to feel comfortable  and could able to sit on my bed with the frames.

August 25th (day 0):

I arrived at the Sri Balaji Action Hospital at around 3:00 PM (I was asked to come at 12:00 PM but I was busy with by office work) with my caretaker provided by  Dr. Sarin.
My caretaker  has taken care of all the hospital formalities  and I was allocated to  2-sharing room and  he left once all the formalities are done. room is pretty clean and tidy so no issues. the other patient in my room is a 11-12 yr old girl who is  a Hepatitis-A patient. Her dad came to my side and introduced himself and  we talked a bit. He was asking about why I needed a surgery and I  vaguely  told him I have some issues with my legs.

I was provided with Tea and snacks at around 4:00 PM and at around 4:30 PM two nurses arrived for inserting cannula and collecting blood samples for blood test. They were pretty confused and could not able to figure-out onto which hand cannula should be inserted. Finally they discovered out its for left hand.

They inserted the cannula and they need to collect blood samples in 3 containers. One of the nurse started collecting my blood and she mistakenly filled the container up to the brim so, she was transferring the blood to another container. But she forgot to close the lid of cannula so my blood started dripping on to the bedsheets and on the floor.(My first bloodshed even before surgery :( ).Thankfully other  nurse noticed it and quickly closed the lid. I guess my 20 ml of blood has been wasted.

These same nurses tried to perform ECG test, they could they could not able to operate the the machine,  I was attached  to those blob wires for about half an hour, finally some other nurse stepped and helped them.

After some time I was taken to the X-ray room
Doc: Please stand over there and remove your T-shirt.
Me:I am sorry!!
Doc: we need to take X-ray of your upper body.
Me:but surgery is for my legs.
Doc:(He looked at my file for some time )We need to check whether upper body is fine.....blah blah..
I did not give much attention, but I am pretty sure he misread my file. I removed my t-shirt and they had taken  x-ray.

I was back to my room, after sometime another doc. came in hurriedly and told me that I need to get my x-ray. they took me to the x-ray room and taken my x-ray (this time for my legs):).

I could not sleep on the that day mostly because of other patient's father in my room was watching TV all night with high volume,

26th August(day 1):

I woke up at 6:00 AM , then a nurse came in, she asked me to wear surgery gown. then I was taken to the pre-op ward where doc's assistant came in, he asked me to sign on couple of documents ( high Anesthesia, NOC for blood test ,  HIV test and for surgery and couple of other LL documents.).

A female doc.  was explaining to me about the surgery procedure, I was surprised that she asked whether I am a foreigner even though I am a brown guy with black hair.

I was taken to a surgery room, I guess there were 3 doctors in the room including Dr. Sarin, a doctor came near to me and he introduced himself, he said that he will inject anesthesia thorough my cannula so I may have a little pain. That's the last thing I remember.

I woke up in the pre-op ward, all I could hear was coughing by some other patients. I could not sense anything below my waist and I am still drowsy then a doctor came to me and he said some thing which I didn't get a bit. I fall asleep  for sometime when I woke up,  I was  being moved to my room.

After I got transferred to my bed in the room , I have noticed really 2  big blood stains on stretcher blanket (  place where legs where placed).

That night I could not able to move much of my body due to soreness. Nurse was really nice,  she patiently spoon-fed me all my dinner she even talked with me for some time ( mostly personal questions but I was fine as I was feeling bit lonely).

I could hardly sleep that night not because of the pain ( I haven’t felt any pain till then) but because of idiot box of other patient. They kept watching TV till 1 AM and worst part is they kept my side of light of tight turned ON all night.

27th August (day 2):

I ate all the food provided by the hospital and tried to sleep most of the day.

In the afternoon , My bandages were replaced as they were drenched with blood ( hell lot of blood!!)
even my bed sheets  were replaced. I did feel slight pain early in the morning but that went off after nurse had injected some liquid(saline).

And the night was again same routine with my neighbor, I could not sleep.

28th August (day 3):

I woke up at 6 AM in the morning because of my neighbor’s high TV volume and I am really pissed off this time. I tried to sleep but I couldn't , I messaged Dr. Sarin to move me to single room.
At around 10 AM I was moved to single room. Nurse allocated to me in this room is extremely friendly and talkative. She introduced herself right after I moved in and we used to have long conversations everyday. She told all about herself and asked used to ask me a ton of questions about myself. Although it felt bit uneasy it is good to talk with someone and to be relieved from boredom.

I had really good sleep that night.

29th August (day 4):

my pain killer injection was removed that morning. I have no pain at all. Although, I could not able to bent my legs(I had some pain when tried to, so I did not try hard ) I could able to move them side wards slowly.

I am feeling good and active. I even canceled my leave and worked that day.

30th August (day 5):
I came back to guest house today evening,journey back to guest house was bit painful as I could not able to bend my legs. I have to keep them straight throughout the journey.

there is no pain in my legs but could feel some pain I move them.

4th September  (day 10):

I got my bandages removed from my legs, all the cuts have been healed and no more bleeding . I  could  able to bend my legs but still I could not able to lift them ( no strength in legs :( ).

5th September (day 11):

My Physiotherapy and lengthening has been started. My first physio is really painful, I  literally shouted in pain during the therapy. As soon as the physio has ended, pain faded away.

16th September (day 22):
I did not had my physiotherapy for almost a week, as physio is on leave. I was happy for couple of days as there is no physiotherapy,later  I started to worry about ballerina,so I started exercising myself.

Also, I  gained back most of the strength in my legs. I could able to lift them and freely move them.

Dr.'s assistant came today and checked my legs, he said my legs are in good condition and I will be having my X-ray tomorrow.

17th September (day 23):

I had my first x-rays today, my total distraction is 1.44 in right and 1.43 in left.( 2 mm and 1 mm more than that I had lengthened in right and left legs respectively).staff said that might be because surgeons have lengthened  them during the surgery.
I was happy as my lengthening is going well and no issues of per-consolidation.

20th September (day 26):

I woke up around 10:00 AM only to find out that my room is stinking with bad smell. When I checked the bathroom it was inundated with drainage water (up to 2 cm).thankfully my room flooring is bit elevated than my bathroom,else there would crap all over my room.

Apparently all the west-side rooms have this problem and it also happened couple of times previously. So if you planning to stay in the guest house avoid these rooms.

Problem has been fixed at round 7:00 PM on same day, I had use other room's washroom for that day.

8th October (day 44):

No complications till today,even my pain levels are absolutely zero (except during the physio) sometimes I even forget that I have braces attached to my legs.
I am usually  busy with my work for first 4 hours of the day after that I watch TV or take a nap for 2-3 hours in afternoon.

At least 1-2 people come to the guest house every week inquiring  about  LL and to meet patients in guest house.

My appointment for 2nd  X-ray is scheduled for next week.

15th October (day 51):

I had my  x-rays today, distraction in left leg :4.41 mm  and right leg : 4.39 mm (screw turned  : 4.4 mm on each leg) so far my lengthening is going good so I scheduled  my frame removal surgery on  4th November and my final x-ray on 2nd November.

2nd November  (day 69): 
I had my final x-ray today distraction in left leg :6.1 mm  and right leg : 5.8 mm (screw turned : 5.9 mm on each leg) .I was pretty confused to see my left leg at 6.1 mm even though I only turned 5.9. I was told there can be 1~2 mm discrepancy in x-ray measurement.

Till date do not land with complications or issues.

4th November (day 71):

I reached hospital at around 10:30 am . There is some issue with the room as there are no rooms available,I had to wait for around 1 hour.

At 1 :00 PM I was taken to the O.T room,they started preparing me for the surgery (adding saline and     other stuff)  Dr.'s assistant measured my legs and then he called Dr. Sarin to say my left leg is 5.6 mm and right leg is 5.5 mm. I was very upset after I overheard those words. Dr. Sarin asked my whether I still need to perform the surgery. I quickly replied no and I said I am willing to wait for couple of days.
He was pretty cool about it and I came back to guest house that evening, had some beer and slept.

***************************************************************************************************************

Overall,I did had a really good experience till now,unlike many past LLers I hardly experience any pain, even my legs are still in good condition, no complications throughout my lengthening phase and I do not experience any stiffness in my leg muscles.My physio told me that I will not get any ballerina  :).

I will be staying in the guest house for one more month and I will try keep you guys updated about my recovery process.

fujitora

Re: 6 cm LON external Tibias with Dr. Amar Sarin,India
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »

Congratulations Jinn169. You completed your distraction phase so quickly and going to get off the frames soon. that's awesome.
Pre-Op Height: 160.5 cms
Surgery performed by Dr. Manish Dhawan at Sir Gangaram Hospital on 4th April 2016
Lengthening stopped on 14th Sept 2016
Current height: 165 cms (5 cm)
Frames removed on March 19th 2017 | Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3499.0

jinn169

• Visitor
Re: 6 cm LON external Tibias with Dr. Amar Sarin,India
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »

Thank you fujitora,I think my lengthening duration is pretty standard as I was distracting at 1mm/day to aviod any complications. I also lost 5 mm during this phase so 5 more days added to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up