Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I have lengthened 8.8 Cm, Tibia LL, anyone has some info regarding the recovery?  (Read 8612 times)

Espresso2132

Hello everyone. I have done the tibia lengthening Oct 2016 with doctor Pili and Catagni in Milan (Italy). Been already 5 months into the process. Have lengthened 8.8 Cm (tibias), I also have done the lengthening of the Achilles tendon, about 3 weeks ago had the pins removed from the back of my feet. Now the situation seems steady, and I started walking (still with crutches).
Wanted to know if anyone had some thoughts they'd like to share regarding the recovery and the calificacion, in terms of time, also post removal of the full ilizarov cast.

Thank You.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:12:13 PM by Espresso2132 »

You should've known everything before getting into it

DreamOf180cm

You should have not lengthened more than 5cm on tibia....
Height: 171.5
Goal: 177cm
Dream: 182.5cm

crimsontide

you're looking at a 3 year recovery to get back to 75-80%

Espresso2132

You should've known everything before getting into it

I know more less, but each individual is a different case. That's why I have asked others... To know their personal experiences...

Espresso2132

You should have not lengthened more than 5cm on tibia....

Why

Espresso2132

you're looking at a 3 year recovery to get back to 75-80%

U done the surgery?

crimsontide

Espresso2132

yup

You have lengthened your Tibias too? I am Curious what's like when the cast is removed...

Body Builder

You did too much lengthening on tibias plus you did atl. I believe that your balance will be worsened a lot compared to pre LL and you will run very hard and for only small distances.
I hope I'm wrong but almost 9cm in tibias is too much and I'm curious why Catagni let you do ao much.

Anyway, you'll have the frames for about 1 year since surgery so be patient. Your further rehabilitation is something up to you and your body but it would have been much easier if you haven't lengthened more than 6-7 cm.

onemorefoot

What does Pili say about the permanente effects of Achilled surgery?
Budget will determine my future.

Espresso2132

You did too much lengthening on tibias plus you did atl. I believe that your balance will be worsened a lot compared to pre LL and you will run very hard and for only small distances.
I hope I'm wrong but almost 9cm in tibias is too much and I'm curious why Catagni let you do ao much.

Anyway, you'll have the frames for about 1 year since surgery so be patient. Your further rehabilitation is something up to you and your body but it would have been much easier if you haven't lengthened more than 6-7 cm.

I did it. Mainly cuz the doc has said so. I did 8.8 Cm cuz about 10% will be a loss after the removal of the ilizarov, so I am going to be a full 8 Cm... I also pushed it this further cuz something like this is Done once in your life. So no regrets. And if u saying it's too much, it's proportionate comparator my femur. Anyways I have also talked To others that have had my surgery and some have just finished (9-10 months) and they back at walking. well everything depends on the anatomy... But I am very optimistic... When did u have the surgery and how much have u lengthened? And u done it with pili too?

Espresso2132

What does Pili say about the permanente effects of Achilled surgery?

What do u mean? It's done this surgery for you not To have your foot pointing forward. Also after a set of Cm added, the surgery has to be done. I won't go around it, it's very painful

Body Builder

I did it. Mainly cuz the doc has said so. I did 8.8 Cm cuz about 10% will be a loss after the removal of the ilizarov, so I am going to be a full 8 Cm... I also pushed it this further cuz something like this is Done once in your life. So no regrets. And if u saying it's too much, it's proportionate comparator my femur. Anyways I have also talked To others that have had my surgery and some have just finished (9-10 months) and they back at walking. well everything depends on the anatomy... But I am very optimistic... When did u have the surgery and how much have u lengthened? And u done it with pili too?
I did LL before 5 years and I lengthened tibias 7.5cm and I did atl too.
I walked very bad for almost 2 years after the initial surgery but this was mainly due to atl I believe which I truly recommend anyone to avoid.

No my doctor wasn't Pili.
And too much hasn't to do with proportions but how much your final outcome will be reduced due to too much lengthening.

onemorefoot

There have been some studies chat claim that can cause some weakness un cálf muscle.

Espresso2132

There have been some studies chat claim that can cause some weakness un cálf muscle.

Perhaps, but I don't think the Doc would make u do something that in the long term will cause irreversible issues... Also, from past experiences, everyone that I talked got. Back to their normal life after their journey has been finished...

onemorefoot

Perhaps, but I don't think the Doc would make u do something that in the long term will cause irreversible issues... Also, from past experiences, everyone that I talked got. Back to their normal life after their journey has been finished...
That is a tope indicator

Espresso2132

I did LL before 5 years and I lengthened tibias 7.5cm and I did atl too.
I walked very bad for almost 2 years after the initial surgery but this was mainly due to atl I believe which I truly recommend anyone to avoid.

No my doctor wasn't Pili.
And too much hasn't to do with proportions but how much your final outcome will be reduced due to too much lengthening.
Lets see...

Camillo

Espresso I was operated also in October by Pili and Catagni. I did also ATL in Feb and I removed the pin last week. It will take you 3 months to remove the frame and I guess almost the same period to get 100% back. I know other people who had the surgery do not agree with that, but this is what Catagni told me and I confirmed with a bunch of patients he had (that I called).

crimsontide

if you think  you're getting back to 100% only 3 months after frames come off after doing 9 cm and ATL, then you're going to be very disappointed

Think 75% after  2.5 years

Espresso2132

if you think  you're getting back to 100% only 3 months after frames come off after doing 9 cm and ATL, then you're going to be very disappointed

Think 75% after  2.5 years

I am very optimistic  but I have talked to others and after 6 months they back in the gym rehabilitating... Obviously it will be hard... But if I may ask how Old are you? And also, where. Did. U get the surgery done?

doomsday

Almost 9 cm and ATL ? I doubt you will ever recover to a degree where you can play football or sprint. In almost every sport in which you use legs your peers will be much better.

Espresso2132

Almost 9 cm and ATL ? I doubt you will ever recover to a degree where you can play football or sprint. In almost every sport in which you use legs your peers will be much better.

Base on what your talking like this? Have YOU DONE IT?

onemorefoot

Espresso, you should check the recovery of the user Notootall, he lengthened 9 cm with ATL And I think he can run very Wells And doesnt feel much weakness.

Espresso2132

Espresso, you should check the recovery of the user Notootall, he lengthened 9 cm with ATL And I think he can run very Wells And doesnt feel much weakness.

It is easy to talk about the surgery if u haven't done it.... Generally... But Yeh I will give him a shout out....

doomsday

Base on what your talking like this? Have YOU DONE IT?
Yes I did LL bot only 4 cm to be sure i can recover. I have not seens anyone doing 9 cm and being 100% back. Its not just joins, tendons but also bio-mechanics. We have longer femurs for a reason.

Espresso2132

Yes I did LL bot only 4 cm to be sure i can recover. I have not seens anyone doing 9 cm and being 100% back. Its not just joins, tendons but also bio-mechanics. We have longer femurs for a reason.

I agree, but to certain points. My question to you is this. 4 cm isn't a lot and for the surgery that we had to Go through seems like a total waste to me. I had a precise Conversation with the docs and they have told me that their goal is to have at least people lengthening 6-7 Cm on (average). Again, each case has its course of healing, I even stand to say that in my personal case, I find difference between one leg to the other, so imagine two different human beings. How tall were u and how tall have u reached?? 

doomsday

i was 166 cm now 170. I will be doing another 5 cm on femurs.

Espresso2132

i was 166 cm now 170. I will be doing another 5 cm on femurs.
Lucky you, u have the strength on facing again the surgery... To be honest I am happy I am Almost done.

doomsday

I will be using these legs for another 60 years. Taking risk of loosing a significant chunk of athleticism was out of option.

Espresso2132

I will be using these legs for another 60 years. Taking risk of loosing a significant chunk of athleticism was out of option.
Alright... Your legs your Life.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up