Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30% faster bone regeneration using ultrasound or EMFs  (Read 1407 times)

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
30% faster bone regeneration using ultrasound or EMFs
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:04:19 AM »

Found an interesting study from a year ago, that systematically evaluated whether low intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS) or pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) have significant effects on regenerate bone growth.

Regenerate bone stimulation following limb lengthening: a meta-analysis (BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016; 17: 407.)

Overall, the mean healing index was 11.7 days/cm faster when using bone stimulation tha[n] in the comparison cohorts (33.7 vs 45.4 day, standardized mean difference of 1.16; pā€‰=ā€‰0.003).

After systematically evaluating the limited and heterogeneous current literature, we found that LIPUS and PEMF both decreased the time for bone healing (healing index in days/cm) of the newly formed regenerate bone in an adequately selected cohort of patients that underwent limb lengthening. However, a high number of complications should be noted, which could be attributed to the lengthening procedure or to the additional bone stimulation.

Note that if you read the whole study,

• the number of reported complications was only 11-12 out of 141 patients total (however, only two out of the seven studies reported complications)
  • all patients used external fixation devices
  • none were treated for cosmetic LL

This makes me think that for CLL, this procedure should reliably and safely speed up recovery.

How come none of the doctors discussed here seems to use it?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

tallernacho

• Visitor
Re: 30% faster bone regeneration using ultrasound or EMFs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »

Interesting. I had read somewhere that ultrasounds did not help at all, but that pulsed electromagnetic field therapy did.

I wonder if PEMF therapy is compatible with Fitbone after finishing lengthening.
Dr. Monegal patient
Two stage internal femurs with Fitbone.
5cm, from 172cm to 177cm

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Paley uses ultrasound
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:52:25 AM »

Update: I've asked Paley's team about the use of ultrasound devices, and they said they use an ultrasound stimulator, 20 minutes twice a day per site.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

backrandom

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »

Man, you're flooding the forum. At least it isn't toxic... This informations is interesting. Other posts are superfluous.

Zeo

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »

Man, you're flooding the forum. At least it isn't toxic... This informations is interesting. Other posts are superfluous.

ill take these threads all day vs most other threads made on this forum
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.
Pages: [1]   Go Up