Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Experience Lengthening in Vietnam April to September 2017  (Read 8396 times)

Tom19

• Visitor
My Experience Lengthening in Vietnam April to September 2017
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

Full disclaimer: This if for those really seriously thinking about leg lengthening surgery in Vietnam, I’m only going to post this and no pictures because honestly I don’t want any pictures of me, or me doing the surgery. Sorry for not having a lot of pictures or what not but I hope me writing honestly about my surgery will give you a good idea of what I went through and what it was like.

For 6 years I thought about getting the leg lengthening surgery I was about 5’8 or 5’9 give or take half an inch. When I was younger I never thought much about my height. I never really had a big growth spurt and thought maybe I might have one latter in life.  I never did and in college I became really self-conscious about my height. All of my really good friends have always been around 5’11 or 6 foot tall. So I always felt I was short, especially on the West Coast where people are on average taller. The average height in U.S was 5’9 but now in 2017 it’s right around 5’9 ½ to 5’10. I graduated college early at 21 with my bachelors and when working or going out with my friends I felt even more self-conscious feeling like if only I was a little taller things would be better. I went aboard and worked for two years to save money for the surgery; I thought it would take one year but I did a lot of traveling and paid off my student loans. When I was 24 I decided it was time to finally get the surgery and I was so nervous, well really I was terrified. I had a girlfriend of two years and I never told her why I was saving so much money. I finally told her and she supported me one hundred percent, in fact without her support and going with me to Vietnam I don’t think I would have been able to do it. She asked me why I would want the surgery I wasn’t short but I told her about my experience in the U.S. and what I felt. She’s 5ft ‘5 and didn’t think I was short at all, but just understood and was supportive.

I looked for a long time on the forum for about 3 or 4 years looking for the right place, I first thought India was the best and cheapest option but it got a couple more thousand dollars more expensive every year and soon it was $15,000. Then when I saved enough money Vietnam popped up on the forums for around $10,000 for surgery and housing and medicine … I contacted them by email in 2016 and they said they were fully booked until next year January. The price changed to $12,500 for 7cm to 8cm including surgery, medicine, x-rays, hospital stay and 4 to 5 months stay at their guest facilities (referred to as the institute) with 3 meals a day and physical therapy. Also it covered if they made any mistakes and had to fix them, including complications during surgery. (which I’m glad it covered, more on that latter…) I decided to travel and emailing them back and forth we decided on April 2017. After traveling for 6 months and meeting my girlfriend in Vietnam, it took me three days of back and forth thinking of backing out at the last minute. Finally I did it and it was one of, if not the hardest decision of my life, to be honest I was so scared I cried.

The whole time, my contact Thao who I had been emailing was with me translated everything, answered all my questions and asked questions I had he didn’t know. Thanks to him I felt confident and fine with the decisions I made. The whole time he was a text or phone call away and helped with everything and anything you could imagine.  I went in had the surgery I decided to be awake for the surgery and I was for half of it but I started to feel the doctors doing the surgery and they put out. I woke up so high on drugs with two giant frames on my legs and they wheeled me to my room on a hospital bed. I thought, “there’s no going back now.” For three weeks constant spinal drip morphine and pain killers. I stayed in that bed for 4 weeks. During the first 2 weeks they found out they inserted a frame pin wrong and even moving my left leg caused me so much pain, they had to x-ray my leg and wheel me back in for a second surgery. I was in so much pain I didn’t move my legs at all and they told me I would be in so much pain even with the pain killers that it wasn’t until two weeks after the first surgery when they took off the bandages and tried to move my legs that I realized they had made a mistake. Luckily for me all complications were covered and they got it right the second time. I was so relieved, thinking I had made a huge mistake. My girlfriend only stayed with me for the first month and then had to leave. Even sitting up was hard, and I almost past out, then slowly I learned how to stand again with a walker and then even walk a little. After a month and a half in the hospital I could leave and go to the institute. I was on my way to recovery and slowly lengthening now.  I had a helper the whole time in the hospital and she was great 24/7 help, and she cleaned me, feed me and helped me go to the bathroom when my girlfriend wasn’t around to help me. They had a helper in institute but I felt uncomfortable because he was a guy and he was very lazy, he would do things but only when I asked, in fact they fired him and hired someone who is much better now. But in the institute I had a wheelchair and a walker and my own room and no roommates so it taught how to be independent and I think ended up being a very good thing in the end.

The next three months of lengthening was really hard, as I was all by myself and felt so lonely but I knew it would be worth it. The food was ok, but I got so sick of Vietnamese food even though it was good. Took medicine everyday and tried to stand for an hour to keep from getting ballerina foot or at the end keeping it from getting so serious. Also sleeping was really hard, I was so uncomfortable that I woke up every couple hours and had to sleep with my feet on the floor and then move them so I was laying flat on the bed, cycling between these two positions. I wanted 8 cm but finally deiced on 7cm after my physical therapist (he was Vietnamese and English was not that great) said 7cm is the max, no more or you will get problems, trust me he said “I’ve seen hundreds of people get the surgery and everyone who goes over 7cm has problems”. He only visited 2 to 3 times a week and on the days he did not show up I was responsible for my own exercise and therapy. The hospital said 8cm was fine and the doctor who did the surgery said I could even go up to 9cm but then I would have to have the tendon release surgery and I did not want that. I think 7cm ended being perfect for me in part because of my taller then average height for a person seeking leg lengthening surgery, my relatively young age, good physical condition before and also because I keep up with the physical therapy and eat right and took all the medicine they gave me. Finally my girlfriend came again to stay with me and is with me now as I write this.

She stayed with me for the two weeks leading up to the frame removal surgery and the 2 months that have past since. For the frame removal I decided to be put to sleep which was much better and the next two days in recovery was painful but not as bad as the first surgery and it was a week until I could stand again. Then another three days until I started walking with a walker. They recommended 15 minutes X 6 times a day of walking for the best recovery and just like the standing an hour everyday when I had the frames on I took this very seriously and stuck with it. I should mention leading up to and after the frame removal they said the physical therapist wasn’t needed any more (and I agree) after that it was up to me to be responsible for my recovery and therapy to make sure I could walk again. After two weeks I could walk with one had on the walker, after three weeks I could take a few steps with the walker in front of me but not touching it or holding on to it for support. After a month I went out of the institute for the first time. My girlfriend and I went to a mall and had a wonder dinner, and great time. I had to walk with my walker the whole time and walked very very slow and sat down often but it was great after so long to be out and to be able to walk. Another week and I got lifts for shoes that helped my slight ballerina foot. The lifts were 3 cm with 2 cm in the base and the other goes right underneath the 2 cm main lift. For two weeks I walked with 3 cm lifts and no walker, then another two weeks with the 2cm lifts and now I’m walking with no lifts at all. My walking is almost back to normal and in another month should be completely normal and back to the way it was. I now can go out and walk around for about 3 to 4 hours with only slight discomfort. By the end of the year probably start exercising again and running lightly.

In one and half to two years planning on going back to Vietnam and taking the support rods out. Overall, I have to say I’m very happy with my experience and how it all happened. When I go out now I feel great, I’m not self-conscious anymore, and feel really tall. I’m now 5’11 and with shoes 6ft. I lost a lot of weight and I’m really skinny now so I need eat more and exercise when I get home to the West Coast. To celebrate finishing this 5 month process, my girlfriend and I are traveling for 6 weeks and back home. Hope this has helped in anyway and for those really interested contact Thao @limblengthconsultant@yahoo.com
-Best of luck

Big Daddy

• Banned: for implying/suggesting threat of violence and general trolling behaviour
Re: My Experience Lengthening in Vietnam April to September 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »

Lol, beta post to the max. Already average height, having a weird idea that people in the West coast are taller, and doing 3 inches on tibias in a third world place like Vietnam. Doing close to 3 inches is not safe at all and your doctor lied to you or is just an idiot. Have fun having crap stamina and weak, tight legs for the rest of your life.

This surgery really is like natural selection. Attracts a ton of idiots.
5'11 visitor from r/subredditdrama. Not interested in leg lengthening. Come at me!

dean9191

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »

doesn't this diary look fishy?

The Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »

Lol, beta post to the max. Already average height, having a weird idea that people in the West coast are taller, and doing 3 inches on tibias in a third world place like Vietnam. Doing close to 3 inches is not safe at all and your doctor lied to you or is just an idiot. Have fun having crap stamina and weak, tight legs for the rest of your life.

This surgery really is like natural selection. Attracts a ton of idiots.
It seems to me more like a promoter.No pictures,videos,Xrays,nothing.
Anyone could write an essay like this.Not reliable
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

google42

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

This seems sketchy to me

normythebear

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »

I’m not trying to hijack this thread, but I’d like to hopefully add some validity to the OP, because I met him, but it requires some back story, and if my story is true, then his is probably true also. The backstory is necessary because this is my first post, and no one knows who I am, except the OP and Thao.

I was in Vietnam this summer visiting my family. I was serious about doing LL, but not in Vietnam. I was set on Russia because the price was lower and because I wanted to spend my time learning and practicing Russian. However, since I was already there, I decided to visit this doctor because it was only a few kilometers from where I was staying. I met Thao, who was extremely helpful, and that's why his name comes up over and over. But then again, I think he's the only one that speaks English very, very well. Everyone else will be familiar with English, but not fully comfortable, and will always look to him for translation. I met the surgeon who urged against going too tall and whose advice I'll take. I asked to meet an actual patient, because I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't speak with someone who was currently going through it. That's where I met OP.

More than just the quality of surgery, I wanted to know what the personality of another person actually going through with LL was like. I know there's a lot of people on this forum considering it, but how many people actually follow through with it? And among those, how many people actually meet? I wanted to know if LL patients were normal, well-adjusted people with productive lives, or if they had severe mental issues. Anyone I've ever brought LL up to before said that it is stupid. I wanted to meet an LL patient to see if all the nay-sayers were right. If I met the OP and he was crazy, there is no chance I would follow through with LL because I wouldn't want to be associated with a crazy bunch.

I met OP in the Institute back in June, 2017. I don't remember how much earlier he had the surgery, but he had his frames on and was a cool dude. We talked easily for about an hour, which allayed my fears that LL patients are social weirdos. He moved around easily with the frames on. The Institute was clean and modern, with fast internet. I didn't have a chance to meet the physical therapist or anyone else. He was the only patient in recovery there at the time.

After I left, I was still set on Russia. After another month in Vietnam, I had decided not to do the surgery anymore. Being in Vietnam, I was routinely the tallest person I could see. Not necessarily by much, but to a degree I noticed. And then I went to Singapore. I don’t know what’s in their water, but they are tall. Once again, I was usually the shortest guy around. And then I went back to the US and once again felt the insecurity of my height. When going to parties and noticing that many of the girls are taller than me, or when in a crowd and I notice that my calves hurt from trying to be on my tiptoes. I knew I had to do the surgery because the insecurity would last for the rest of my life. I knew that if I planned to stay in a Western culture country, I would always blame my height for my personal failings instead of being honest with myself and identifying the root cause.

Eventually I decided to go back to Vietnam for LL because I already knew the quality of service and getting a visa for Russia, just to look into their program was going to be both difficult and expensive. I’m a premedical student in the US, grew up in a medical family, and have spent a lot of time in and around hospitals and doctors all around the world. I can generally gauge medical quality fairly accurately. The hospital isn’t what you’d find in the most modern, expensive ER in New York City or Switzerland, but seems to be the quality of central Europe. More importantly, the surgeon seemed competent and seems to actually care about the outcome.

I came to OP’s defense because I know he’s a good dude. I chose Vietnam because I know what to expect because I’ve been there. I purchase my plane ticket back to Vietnam yesterday and will be having the surgery in late November. I took a year off school specifically for this, I’ve done my research, and believe I’m making the right decision with this doctor. I’ll start my forum entry as that date gets nearer.

TLDR: OP is a real person, who did LL, and I met him in Vietnam.

Big Daddy

• Banned: for implying/suggesting threat of violence and general trolling behaviour
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »

Clearly the guy with one post count coming to the multi-paragraph defense of one post count multi-paragraph OP isn't the same guy.
5'11 visitor from r/subredditdrama. Not interested in leg lengthening. Come at me!

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »

LMAO yeah a new poster with 1 post will definitely convince me that the other completely new poster with 1 post is not a fraud.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

normythebear

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »

How much detail do you need? I already said I'm writing a diary starting in November and it's going to include pictures. Clearly, OP isn't going to go back and have the surgery again just to take pictures and prove anonymous people on the internet wrong. It doesn't change anything in my life if you believe me or not, I'm just sharing. I haven't posted before because I haven't had a reason to. I would just read posts. It's also probably pretty obvious that I type with a younger, American dialect of English. The way I type and talk is completely different from OP. So, your guess is that the Vietnamese doctor paid some person with a good grasp of American English subtleties to write this? And then pay him to create a different account and type in a completely different manner to try to convince random people? What's more likely? That? Or that I was actually visiting my family in Vietnam and came across OP. Look, Thao speaks perfect English, but he doesn't speak perfect American dialect English. Just chill. I'm a real person. What's the big deal and why so much skepticism?

ThaoVietnam

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »

Hello dear sirs or madam, my name is Thao and I am the aforementioned contact person. I can gladly assist you in your future limb lengthening journey in Vietnam. I can confirm to you that indeed both Tim18 and stormythemare are 100% real people who have or plan to become taller in Vietnam, a beautiful country with modern hospitals to the quality of central Europe and competent doctors who can fulfill all your deepest desires. I have helped both plan their LL journey and can assure you they are 100% real and cool dudes.

As they have said correctly and without being promised any substantial financial rewards, limb lengthening in Vietnam is a safe and professional procedure. Our institute offers clean and modern equipment, fast internet and dutiful, professional care staff. Our patients are allowed to leave the institute at any time and bring their girlfriends with them to provide much needed mental assistance, although anime love pillows are also allowed, which my real and very cool friend smokytheblare will gladly confirm. ;) Our patients regularly lengthen 7-10 cm on their tibiae (which is the bone also known as the shankbone below the knees) without serious complications, they usually recover well and participate in athletic competitions like marathons regularly. The prices are very affordable even for patients with student debt or unemployment.

I am looking forward to answering your questions and doubts and to help you become a tall womanizer man with our 100% real and safe limb lengthening journey in Vietnam. Please contact me at limblengthconsultant@yahoo.com or alternatively you can connect to my cool and real friends,, Tom20 and Normietheswear.

All the best!

Mao

Big Daddy

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »

Hahaha, this is too rich XD

This forum is a riot.

Bander72

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:42:47 AM »

Ah lol would not go to Vietnam if it was free and defitnely not with these crazys making up stories.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

vina

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »

Hi everyone,

I got 5.5 cm tibia lengthening done in Vietnam. I have safe outcome, and I know Tom19. I am not sure who normythebear is, but he says he only came for a consultation, so maybe we didn't meet the day he was there. I would encourage everyone to travel to vietnam and have a consultation before deciding on the surgery. the surgery is hard but they take good care of them. I feel taller but not much but at least my mind is clear to do other thigns in life now.

I won't post pics because of privacy reason. But like the other person said what is the big deal,no need to be so skeptic.

iwanttobeabillionaire

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

Been a lurker here for a few months. Been considering getting LL, possibly Vietnam. However, this thread makes me so suspicious I had to create an account.

OP Posts & mentions contact info for doctor immediately ->5 hours later normythebear posts twice to defend him -> 4 hours later, the doctor's office posts to defend & promote their practice -> 4 hours later some other random person saying they know them too

I am not saying all these people are the same person. However, the likelihood of 4 people posting within a 16 hour timeframe claiming they all know each other without specifically referencing names is highly improbable. This was 100% coordinated in one way or another as a marketing tactic.

dean9191

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »

seriously, this thread literally blew up my good hopes on LL in vietnam. Anyway i might pay a visit their within next 2 years

The Dreamer

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

seriously, this thread literally blew up my good hopes on LL in vietnam. Anyway i might pay a visit their within next 2 years
I wouldn't go there not even for holidays.Figure LL
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

normythebear

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »

The person pretending to be Thao is being facetious. He's not going to intentionally misspell his own name, as well as mine, and that's not how he talks. Not coordinated, and if it were a marketing tactic, it backfired anyway. I regret having posted.

WarRose

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »

Picture will prove everything
 :)

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 01:43:35 AM »

so is limblengthconsultant@yahoo.com the dr's real email or not?

biggerdreams

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:14 AM »

I wouldn't go there not even for holidays.Figure LL

This is a very small minded thought.

Vietnam is one of the most diverse and beautiful countries in the world.

ketchum

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 02:54:44 AM »

so is limblengthconsultant@yahoo.com the dr's real email or not?

The address is owned by a LL agency whose representative is a guy named Thao. He told me he had two doctors named Dr Khoi and Dr Quynh when I exchanged emails with him. I have no idea whether these docs are competent or not.

normythebear

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »

The email address is real and Thao is their point of contact. I'm just saying that the person above claiming to be Thao simply created a new screen name, and just rewrote what the OP and I said for jokes and giggles. For what it is worth, here is a photo of my pretty clearly American passport with visa stamps in it showing the dates with my screen name and this exact thread in the background. It is, at the minimum, evidence to suggest that I'm probably an American, and was probably Vietnam when I said I was, increasing the likelihood that I actually met Thao and the OP as stated. You can believe what you want, but maybe if there was less toxicity in this forum, people would be less hesitant to post and there would be more useful information overall. I'm only trying to contribute because there are some people in this forum that have been genuinely and consistently helpful and there are people seeking information.

Android

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 06:30:01 AM »

The email address is real and Thao is their point of contact. I'm just saying that the person above claiming to be Thao simply created a new screen name, and just rewrote what the OP and I said for jokes and giggles. For what it is worth, here is a photo of my pretty clearly American passport with visa stamps in it showing the dates with my screen name and this exact thread in the background. It is, at the minimum, evidence to suggest that I'm probably an American, and was probably Vietnam when I said I was, increasing the likelihood that I actually met Thao and the OP as stated. You can believe what you want, but maybe if there was less toxicity in this forum, people would be less hesitant to post and there would be more useful information overall. I'm only trying to contribute because there are some people in this forum that have been genuinely and consistently helpful and there are people seeking information.

Long time lurker, recently joined, first time posting. For what it's worth, I joined before this thread started (just barely). I just wanted to say that I'm inclined to believe normythebear, if only because his grammar is clearly different (and better) than OP's, his defensive points make sense, and of course the photo helps. Anybody who actually read the fake ThaoVietnam account and thought it was real needs to read it bit more closely, as it's clearly a joke.

I believe that normythebear met this person, but is Tom19 (the user here) the actual person normythebear met? Maybe, maybe not. He has only posted once, and it could just be written on his behalf, recounting a patient's experience. It's more likely that it's the same person however (since it's just so elaborate and detailed), but it may be that Tom19 was asked to write this patient experience by the clinic, since this thread is already linked on their official site. I find it hard to believe that their site is sophisticated enough to automatically link to related threads, so I think it's coordinated (not necessarily a bad thing, it's standard marketing). If it was a completely paid puff piece, there's no reason for them to draw attention to simple mistakes being made. This would also explain Tom19's lack of interaction, since he was doing a favor for the clinic; he's not actually interested in mingling with others on this forum.

Reddit's AMA requires moderators to vet the OP, why can't we have a similar system? They employ two methods: show everyone a photo of themselves with username (or something unique like an X-ray; very similar to what normythebear did), or get privately interviewed by a mod, presenting similar proof (and the mod posts at the top of the thread that they're verified). We have a lot of cynics, and it's understandable when a lot of money is at stake, but it also discourages openness. The vetting process would add credibility that we desperately need.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

biggerdreams

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:41 AM »

Just change this thread's name to "first time posters start here"

Android

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »

Just change this thread's name to "first time posters start here"

Alternatively, "reply with jokes without reading."
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

iwanttobeabillionaire

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »

Sorry for my skepticism. I really want to believe that this doctor is as good as some of the experiences I have been reading Asia123, Viep, & now this. Nobody has had any bad experiences. And for a price that won't break the bank.

I am a Vietnamese-American already living and working in Vietnam.

dean9191

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 07:32:15 AM »

I also agree to what arnold saying. This forum has such a toxicity for patients from india and other asain countries. I know a 100% genuine patient at dr.sarins guest house who doesn't want to start a thread here and get constantly discouraged during his ll journey.

normythebear

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »

If you're already in Vietnam, assuming you're in the south, there should be no problem with you having a consultation with the doctor to see if he's someone you'd like to go with. No one so far has seemingly had bad experiences, but then again, we're only basing it off the three people that have made diaries. I'm guessing the vast majority of people that have had this surgery have never even made a single post on here. That's why I think we should try to be a more open community so that people are more willing to share their experiences instead of immediately being shot down. That would give us far more information for when we do LL ourselves.

FDR101

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »

There is a reason why people are skeptical. This surgery will ruin your life for good if it ends bad. There is a lot of money involved and it is not unthinkable that certain people would attempt to market themselves here by painting a glorified picture of the outcome.

I have a hard time believing a 7 cm increase on Tibias would have OP walking normally again 6 months after the first surgery. Furthermore Achilles Tendon lengthening is not mentioned, which would be odd at that amount in tibia.

There are lots of verified diary’s from people doing this in safer countries to a higher price and I’ve personally never seen evidence that anyone recovers that fast or even at all from 7 cm’s to tibia.

I’m not saying his post isn’t real, but he of all people must understand that everyone considering and researching this procedure is going to be on the defensive and be skeptical.

dean9191

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »

Are you planning to do femur or tibia?

Android

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »

I also agree to what arnold saying. This forum has such a toxicity for patients from india and other asain countries. I know a 100% genuine patient at dr.sarins guest house who doesn't want to start a thread here and get constantly discouraged during his ll journey.

I live in the US and visited India for the first time for a hair transplant in 2014. I went alone and I happened to go during cyclone season so it was hell, but dammit, the doctor was awesome and the price was great. Stayed at a five star hotel for $99 a night, felt like a king.

It really did open my eyes, and it gives me hope that other countries might be as good, but we definitely need more information. The fact is that CLL is a lot more obscure than hair transplants, so the forums aren't as active. This means less English-speaking users taking the plunge, so less diaries. This is why we tend to focus on a handful of doctors around the world since the sample size is so small.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up