Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: starting my journey with Dr Paley  (Read 4971 times)

mrworldwide

• Visitor
starting my journey with Dr Paley
« on: February 04, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »

Hi Guys !

I am going to start my LL journey with Dr Paley. My surgery is scheduled in couple of days , internal femurs, and well lets say i am anxiously excited to get this done .

Will be happy to receive help, suggestions, advices, and will keep you guys updated with a real me , ups and downs, during the course of lengthening , to help future LL'ers in any way I can.

Currently staying in a hotel, but have emailed 7-8 home owners for short term 3 month rentals, for a villa with pool , or condo overlooking ocean, as if i can find a right place to stay, everything else will be so much better. Any suggestions for me ?

CaptainAmerica

Re: starting my journey with Dr Paley
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »

Good luck man, how much are you lengthening, and who are you hiring or who will be with you to provide help? I heard it's almost necessary during the first 2-3 weeks but after that you should be fine.

Android

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:49:58 AM »

Welcome, looking forward to updates on your journey.

As for accommodation, have you looked into Airbnb?
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

MirinHeight

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »

good luck man, you're in good hands :)
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

mrworldwide

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »

I am aiming at north of 7.5 , just to make sure i gain3 inches. However, not stuck on numbers. Will see how it goes, if it is all smooth, may gun for 8 too.

I am going to hire a nurse for first 15-18 days to assist me with moving around and stuff .

mrworldwide

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »

Airbnb is too popular now and don't have stays for entire 3 months . All booked.
However, I have figured out couple of places , heading there to check them out now.
Seems amazing in pictures though. This city has some extravagant living.

mrworldwide

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »

Thanks Man !
Yes wanted to do with somebody who's an expert. By the way before finalizing Dr Palay, I went to Italy and South Africa too, and then decided to stick to somebody who does this day in and day out and is a PRO in it like big time.
Hopefully , it should be a smooth sail. Keeping my fingers crossed.

LAGrowin

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »

Good luck man, how much are you lengthening, and who are you hiring or who will be with you to provide help? I heard it's almost necessary during the first 2-3 weeks but after that you should be fine.

Congratulations Mrworldwide!   What is your age and current height ?

As CaptainAmerica says above it is necessary to have someone for the first three weeks.

I am in week 3 of my bilateral femur lengthening in Los Angeles with Dr Mahboubian.  The surgery isn't that bad but it's the little things that seem to go unconsidered that you should definitely not underestimate.  Everyone is a little different but you'll defining need someone with you the first few weeks if living alone.  One person to help will be ok most of the day, but 2 people is ideal for moving to the restroom and such.

Wishing you well.  7.5 CMs is awesome!

mrworldwide

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »

Congratulations Mrworldwide!   What is your age and current height ?

As CaptainAmerica says above it is necessary to have someone for the first three weeks.

I am in week 3 of my bilateral femur lengthening in Los Angeles with Dr Mahboubian.  The surgery isn't that bad but it's the little things that seem to go unconsidered that you should definitely not underestimate.  Everyone is a little different but you'll defining need someone with you the first few weeks if living alone.  One person to help will be ok most of the day, but 2 people is ideal for moving to the restroom and such.

Wishing you well.  7.5 CMs is awesome!

Thank You Brother !
Wish you a great recovery too. How many cms are you aiming at ?
I am 65 Kgs, and i am getting the biggest nail available with Precise, which can weigtbear around 70 Kgs. Having said that Doctors said that I cannot weight bare on my legs alone and have to use walkers or crutches. Do you think with your experience it 'll be difficult to move around for first few weeks ? Are you walking better now in 3rd week ?
What attention to details you are hinting at ?
I spoke to a a care that provides nursing , man they are expensive . They are quoting 20-24 USD per hour . But no option , I might have to use their services for minimum 10-12 days .

mrworldwide

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »

I am 30 , and 161 cms currently.
My plan is to be close to 168-169 with this, and then see how it goes. My main priority is near to full recovery .

myloginacct

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:08:33 AM »

Thanks Man !
Yes wanted to do with somebody who's an expert. By the way before finalizing Dr Palay, I went to Italy and South Africa too, and then decided to stick to somebody who does this day in and day out and is a PRO in it like big time.
Hopefully , it should be a smooth sail. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Great choice. Paley is the best one. Everyone should follow in your steps and only go for the best, if it is possible for them in their lifetimes.

I wish you a smooth (as far LL goes) journey.

LAGrowin

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 01:33:36 AM »

Thank You Brother !
Wish you a great recovery too. How many cms are you aiming at ?
I am 65 Kgs, and i am getting the biggest nail available with Precise, which can weigtbear around 70 Kgs. Having said that Doctors said that I cannot weight bare on my legs alone and have to use walkers or crutches. Do you think with your experience it 'll be difficult to move around for first few weeks ? Are you walking better now in 3rd week ?
What attention to details you are hinting at ?
I spoke to a a care that provides nursing , man they are expensive . They are quoting 20-24 USD per hour . But no option , I might have to use their services for minimum 10-12 days .

Thank you!   I'll be posting some detail and an update in my diary soon.

I live about 20-30 minutes from Dr. Mahboubian's office and have my wife helping me at home so it it less complicated for me than for those coming in to their doctor from out of town.

But from current firsthand expensive I can say that the pain has been very tolerable,  it does fluctuate, but it's not excruciating,  I realize that different bodies handle it different. However it's the little things that get overlooked,  things you don't realize until you're in and recovering.

I thought I'd be out and about on a walker after 2-3 weeks and partially on a wheelchair.  I can tell you that this is not realistic for most.  I'm doing well,  have no regrets,  but can tell you that at 2 1/2 weeks post op, I couldn't be alone.  The mobility simply isn't there,  some things I could possibly do but would risk falling and making it worse.  It's simply too dangerous.

The first couple of weeks,  just transferring from bed to the wheelchair can be an odyssey. Then moving from the wheelchair to the toilet is tough.  It takes time to figure out most convenient height for the wheelchair, toilet seat, etc.   These things you'll figure out with trial and error.

Bottom line,  you'll need to have help a minimum of three weeks,  if you can,  plan for four weeks.

I was 74kg at time of surgery and also had the larger screw and tube placed for max weight bearing of 75 lbs per leg. This doesn't however mean one can walk or fully weight bear.

I am aiming for 7.6 CMs.

I have my first X-rays since surgery coming up on Friday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:13:32 AM by LAGrowin »

40oz

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Mr.Worldwide. Have you looked into hiring a nanny?

backrandom

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »

Mr.Worldwide. Have you looked into hiring a nanny?

???

Great choice. Paley is the best one. Everyone should follow in your steps and only go for the best, if it is possible for them in their lifetimes.

I wish you a smooth (as far LL goes) journey.

Wise decision

Joemoney

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »

Hi wideworld
Hope your surgery and recovery go's well, am also looking at Dr paley for my internal femur lengthening, he's the best out there but there have been some complications concerning knee pain on some of his patients, just make sure to follow his instructions and also work on your flexibility that's one of the key to quickly recovery.. Anyways Goodluck and please keep us posted, don't disappear like other diaries..

mrworldwide

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »

Hi wideworld
Hope your surgery and recovery go's well, am also looking at Dr paley for my internal femur lengthening, he's the best out there but there have been some complications concerning knee pain on some of his patients, just make sure to follow his instructions and also work on your flexibility that's one of the key to quickly recovery.. Anyways Goodluck and please keep us posted, don't disappear like other diaries..

Hi guys !
Wanted to update you all but the entire experience has been so overwhelming thus far , today I feel more in senses and wanted to reply emails and write .
Thanks for all your wishes . I will definitely keep this Diary on as I really feel it helps fellow LL ers or aspiring LLers .

I am still in hospital (ST Mary’s)
My surgery happened on Tuesday , the 6th . Doctor told me everything went well and surgery was done quickly without complications and I was thanking god for that .
Post surgery , that entire day was pretty much painless and I was also raising my legs a little bit , nurses were surprisingly happy . I realised it was probably the spinal morphine that was still working.
Day 2 was most excruciating pain so far . My legs were sore , and I was in pain for most of the day. But did manage to get off the bed and used walker for the first time with physiotherapist. She is amazing and very nice .
Day 3 , yesterday was mixed. But definitely better than day 2 .

St Mary’s facility I would rate 5 on 5 , great nurses , good care , clean and hygienic , and definitely a place that doesn’t feel too lonely or annoying .

I can post some pictures for you all .
I am typing from mobile and this site doesn’t seem too mobile friendly for typing .
In the evening probably , I’ll give more detailed updates with pictures .
Guys please give me suggestions along the way to get done with this as smooth as possible.

I have managed to hire 24x7 care for first 2-3 weeks to assist me as I am all by myself and will see how it goes from there , and if I should extend their services or manage on my own .

Android

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 11:18:06 PM »

Excellent news, glad that surgery went well. Best of luck on the journey ahead.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 11:54:42 PM »

Guys please give me suggestions along the way to get done with this as smooth as possible.

Have you read the forum pretty extensively before doing the surgery? Not that it's too late to ask for suggestions now, but for others reading this - DO YOUR RESEARCH well before the surgery!

• read all the patient diaries for your doctor
  • make notes of important bits you learn
  • set things up for yourself well in advance because you won't be functioning at full capacity during the recovery

That said, I've spent weeks reading all Paley patient diaries (I'll be doing quadrilateral CLL with his team too - tibias and femurs at the same time) and I've amassed a large number of tips for the best pain management and recovery. I plan to post that in a concise form here for you guys, so others don't have to spent all that time. I also believe my effort might be worth some compensation from others outside of the forum - quadrilateral is the most expensive of surgeries, $180k, and any bit helps, so I'm considering going public about my CLL, fundraiser-style.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

LAGrowin

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »

How is your recovery coming along mrworldwide?  Can you provide us an update ?

Thanks !    Wishing you well.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Still around?
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

Hoping you're past the apathy phase... how's it going?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up