Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surgery died.  (Read 3719 times)

Surgery died.
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »

Today I saw a news. A Korean wanted to be a star but had surgery because of height restrictions. He had a high fever shortly after the operation, but the hospital gave him only a few pills. He was taken to hospital the next day. The treatment was declared dead after five days.
The autopsy results were caused by the stenosis of pulmonary valve. The location of the operation was in Seoul. No specific hospitals or doctors were announced.

Johnson1111

Re: Surgery died.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:40:37 AM »

Damn that is crazy and very very unfortunate RIP to this man.

However I have many questions that i'm curious about (Not saying you have the info available to answer but)

How old?
Which type of method?
Which part of the legs Tibia, Femur?
Were there underlying problems that this person had that were cleared when they shouldn't have been?
Was this person a dwarf/almost dwarf?
So Seoul, could be New Born Ortho that's listed?

Android

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »

Thanks for sharing, do let us know when you find an article about it. Would like to read more about it.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:46:11 AM »

Damn that is crazy and very very unfortunate RIP to this man.

However I have many questions that i'm curious about (Not saying you have the info available to answer but)

How old?
Which type of method?
Which part of the legs Tibia, Femur?
Were there underlying problems that this person had that were cleared when they shouldn't have been?
Was this person a dwarf/almost dwarf?
So Seoul, could be New Born Ortho that's listed?
23 years old
External tibia
Autopsy results are surgically-induced complications
174cm

Johnson1111

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »

23 years old
External tibia
Autopsy results are surgically-induced complications
174cm

Thanks for the info.

Wow we are the same height and similar ages. Hits home.

myloginacct

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Wow we are the same height and similar ages. Hits home.

174cm is closer to 5'9 than to 5'7 (170cm).

myloginacct

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

Today I saw a news. A Korean wanted to be a star but had surgery because of height restrictions. He had a high fever shortly after the operation, but the hospital gave him only a few pills. He was taken to hospital the next day. The treatment was declared dead after five days.
The autopsy results were caused by the stenosis of pulmonary valve. The location of the operation was in Seoul. No specific hospitals or doctors were announced.

Hoping to hear more details about the causes in the coming weeks.

How was stenosis of the pulmonary valve caused by external tibial lengthening? I'm not a doctor to venture a guess.

Johnson1111

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »

174cm is closer to 5'9 than to 5'7 (170cm).

I see. He was taller than me in that case. I'm still having trouble converting lately

myloginacct

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

I see. He was taller than me in that case. I'm still having trouble converting lately

Have this handy link:

http://www.unitarium.com/blog/articles/human-height-conversion-table

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »

Wow. Only 23. I dont think this had anything to do with LL. Couldve been the high fever and general anesthesia didnt mix well.

Honore

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 05:22:49 PM »

Dear friends, while you're reading this post(60sec) 2.28 persons died in a car-accident. 3287 every day!

But, yes this surgery is very risky and should only be considered as a last resort..

ramaka

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »

Dear friends, while you're reading this post(60sec) 2.28 persons died in a car-accident. 3287 every day!

But, yes this surgery is very risky and should only be considered as a last resort..

To be fair no surgery is safe they are all risky, I know not everyone can afford the best surgeons but this is a prime example of if you can afford the likes of palettes then by all means go for him.

From what I hear he tells the patient what can and can’t be done and he is vary patient friendly hence if he cannot achieve the goals you want he will not perform the surgery.

want2btall

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:07 PM »

Do you have link for the article?

Knik

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »

is it that difficult to put a fking link ?
Looking for Pili

notatroll

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 02:24:29 PM »

maybe it's korean language but a link would be useful

Knik

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »

there is nothing about this celebrity in english
Looking for Pili

myloginacct

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »

there is nothing about this celebrity in english

Not a celebrity. He probably thought he had perfect looks and the only thing holding him back was his "height". He wanted to be a star; he wasn't one.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 01:43:47 AM »

maybe it's korean language but a link would be useful
I only have Chinese news links. Because I'm not Korean. I just asked Dr. Li’s assistant. It was determined that this tragedy is true. It happened in July 2016. It was exposed by the media a few days ago.

Note: The accident doctor is not Dr Li

http://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1600511972162017723&wfr=spider&for=pc

Android

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 05:02:49 AM »

More comprehensive article.

He died in 2016 from pulmonary embolism (PE), a blood clot in the lung. The hospital claims that post-surgery exercise, which can help prevent PE, was prescribed after surgery. However, CCTV footage shows no exercise being administered, and the caregiver has said that they didn't help him exercise.

He later felt his heart racing and experienced chest pain, so paramedics were called to transfer him to another hospital better suited for his complication. The hospital claims that the paramedics arrived in two minutes, meanwhile actual CCTV footage showed that they arrived in 22 minutes.

The case is being discussed now since there still isn't closure, as the hospital has denied wrongdoing, not having apologized to the family.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

lemonade311

• fk genetics.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »

Was he not prescribed blood thinning medication? I know Dr. Paley prescribes this probably to prevent these kinds of blood clots.
Current: 171 cm
Goal: 178-179cm to cm

Internal femurs only using Precise Stryde at Dr. Paley institute in 2019.

myloginacct

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 10:30:12 AM »

He died in 2016 from pulmonary embolism (PE), a blood clot in the lung. The hospital claims that post-surgery exercise, which can help prevent PE, was prescribed after surgery. However, CCTV footage shows no exercise being administered, and the caregiver has said that they didn't help him exercise.

He later felt his heart racing and experienced chest pain, so paramedics were called to transfer him to another hospital better suited for his complication. The hospital claims that the paramedics arrived in two minutes, meanwhile actual CCTV footage showed that they arrived in 22 minutes.

The case is being discussed now since there still isn't closure, as the hospital has denied wrongdoing, not having apologized to the family.

Thanks, Android. As helpful as always.

Body Builder

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »

Was he not prescribed blood thinning medication? I know Dr. Paley prescribes this probably to prevent these kinds of blood clots.
Not only Paley. Every serious doctor. I was given that medication till1 month after LL and till 1 month after at shortening and right tibia malunion correction.
Both surgeries frof different doctors.

So that kind of medication is very important and is given everywhere in the world from all respectable doctors.

notatroll

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »

Blood thinning meds are very important and only bad doctors forgive to give them. In my case I got them but a friend of mine didn't.

iwontallow

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »

Banned:  multiple accounts (notatroll, Life, amigos)
and probably the troll Datum/LLuser1

myloginacct

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »

I remembered this from the paper where Catagni describes he had one dwarf patient die during his years in Lecco.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225890120_Strategia_nel_trattamento_chirurgico_degli_acondroplasici_tecniche_applicate_nel_Dipartimento_di_Ortopedia_e_Traumatologia_dell'Ospedale_di_Lecco

The complications were classified as minor, moderate, and severe. Minor complications were those which required only modification of the apparatus during treatment. Twenty-three percent of the lengthenings required some modification of the device during treatment. Moderate complications were those which required additional procedures during lengthening. Forty-two percent of patients fell into this category. Finally, severe complications were those which required another surgery following treatment or had lasting sequelae of the treatment. Twenty-one percent of patients fell into this category. The most common complication was equinus contractures of the ankle which required treatment by tendoachilles lengthening. Two pulmonary emboli were sustained following percutaneous tendo-achilles lengthening. One patient died as a result of this complication. Despite the significant complication rate, we feel that the handicap due to short stature suffered by patients with dwarfing conditions warrants continued treatment using the Ilizarov technique.

The cause of death was also PE.

And another reason why ATL seems like a very bad idea. "Ballerina foot" (equinus contracture) shouldn't be enough of a reason to do another invasive procedure like that, I think. I recall reading here that you can treat BF/EQ with physiotherapy without ATL, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to look up some papers.

myloginacct

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »

From Android's second link, for the lazy:

Medical history

You're at higher risk if you or any of your family members have had venous blood clots or pulmonary embolism in the past. This may be due to inherited disorders that affect blood, making it more prone to clot.

In addition, some medical conditions and treatments put you at risk, such as:

• Heart disease. Cardiovascular disease, specifically heart failure, makes clot formation more likely.
    • Cancer. Certain cancers — especially pancreatic, ovarian and lung cancers, and many cancers with metastasis — can increase levels of substances that help blood clot, and chemotherapy further increases the risk. Women with a personal or family history of breast cancer who are taking tamoxifen or raloxifene also are at higher risk of blood clots.
    • Surgery. Surgery is one of the leading causes of problem blood clots. For this reason, medication to prevent clots may be given before and after major surgery such as joint replacement.

Prolonged immobility

Blood clots are more likely to form during periods of inactivity, such as:

• Bed rest. Being confined to bed for an extended period after surgery, a heart attack, leg fracture, trauma or any serious illness makes you more vulnerable to blood clots. When the lower extremities are horizontal for long periods, the flow of venous blood slows and blood can pool in the legs.
    • Long trips. Sitting in a cramped position during lengthy plane or car trips slows blood flow in the legs, which contributes to the formation of clots.

Other risk factors

• Smoking. For reasons that aren't well-understood, tobacco use predisposes some people to blood clot formation, especially when combined with other risk factors.
    • Being overweight. Excess weight increases the risk of blood clots — particularly in women who smoke or have high blood pressure.
    • Supplemental estrogen. The estrogen in birth control pills and in hormone replacement therapy can increase clotting factors in your blood, especially if you smoke or are overweight.
    • Pregnancy. The weight of the baby pressing on veins in the pelvis can slow blood return from the legs. Clots are more likely to form when blood slows or pools.

Prevention

Preventing clots in the deep veins in your legs (deep vein thrombosis) will help prevent pulmonary embolism. For this reason, most hospitals are aggressive about taking measures to prevent blood clots, including:
    • Blood thinners (anticoagulants). These medications are often given to people at risk of clots before and after an operation — as well as to people admitted to the hospital with a heart attack, stroke or complications of cancer.
    • Compression stockings. Compression stockings steadily squeeze your legs, helping your veins and leg muscles move blood more efficiently. They offer a safe, simple and inexpensive way to keep blood from stagnating during and after general surgery.
    • Leg elevation. Elevating your legs when possible and during the night also can be very effective. Raise the bottom of your bed 4 to 6 inches with blocks or books.
    • Physical activity. Moving as soon as possible after surgery can help prevent pulmonary embolism and hasten recovery overall. This is one of the main reasons your nurse may push you to get up, even on your day of surgery, and walk despite pain at the site of your surgical incision.
    • Pneumatic compression. This treatment uses thigh-high or calf-high cuffs that automatically inflate with air and deflate every few minutes to massage and squeeze the veins in your legs and improve blood flow.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up