Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bi-Lateral Stryde With Paley Consult Summer '19  (Read 7811 times)

OGfivesevener

Bi-Lateral Stryde With Paley Consult Summer '19
« on: June 15, 2019, 05:27:57 AM »

Hey everyone, I had my consult at Dr. Paley's not too long ago. I am booked for July. I'm back and forth about an actual diary but I'd still like to update here and there with hopefully helpful info. As well as another positive or negative experience.

Consult ($500 EOS Scan/Labs & $750 Consult Fee - NOT included in $97,500 surgery fee):
Some do plan the consult and surgery date in one trip for logistics, but doing it ahead of time let's you wrap your head around planning things better.
EOS scan and blood drawn a few hours before my consult. Usually the scan/blood work is done a day prior and following consult is in the morning.
A nurse checks my blood pressure (normal) and my height in late afternoon (168cm. Dangit. I was getting around 5'7.2 in the mornings)
The coordinator and PA spoke to me first at length and I got a feel for how things are at the institute.
Dr. Paley is a busy guy. He was able to drop in for 5-10 minutes to meet me and discuss plans.
Dr. Robins was last to drop in, Dr. Paley's protege you can say. Nice impressions from both and Dr. Robins felt forthcoming with everything.

They checked my Vitamin D levels and it was quite low. It was something to mention but no one made a fuss over it. They just want things lined up for the best outcome any way they can. So we're going to have me start on Vitamin D 10,000 IUs daily. No other supplements were suggested.

They go over the EOS scan. I'm the normal 80% tibia to femur. Dr. Paley has me get on the table and checks my leg tightness with different movements.
I should be good for the middle diameter nail, possibly the largest. And my weight is fine for the support.

I get a tour of the PT room close by and say my goodbyes.

My Impressions:
They are a busy, experienced operation. You may find when you reach out to them it takes longer for a response versus other Dr offices. They have a lot going on. It was late afternoon and I saw several other kids and parents around. A few other adults. Just one guy remaining in the PT room as they were closing. The coordinator said if the consult was in the morning as it usually is I could have seen more CLL patients and asked to meet some.

With variation in how each patient deals with the process. The best way they could describe the usual process is that it's difficult but tolerable. And she mentioned a patient saying she thought it would have been more difficult. Basically it helped with my comfort level more.

Not knowing what type of person I am, the PA mentioned she usually likes patients to tell at least 1 person about going through the process. Im deciding not to tell anyone until after. I rather not deal with family worrying. But since it can be a mentally trying time in the beginning, it's good to have someone to talk to.

I feel like with reading all the diaries on this forum, I already had good knowledge of everything that was gone over.

I am staying at one of their recommended extended stays with wheelchair shuttle service for the first month. I tried looking into other lodging options and then factoring in the Uber rides to and from, and possibly having to coordinate Wheelchair transport. It didn't seem to make sense given PT is 5 times a week. So it's basically going to be $100-$120 a day for lodging. $3000 a month. Priceline and Ebates will help a bit.

They highly recommend having someone the first few weeks so I'm hiring a caregiver for 2 weeks and go from there. I'm still looking for sources where I get to pick the caregiver and have come up with Care.com so far. The only issue is safety as you kind of have to vet the candidates yourself. But it's still going to be better than something like Craigslist. They let you order a background check.

Oh, I forgot, about the lengthening goals. So, basically 5cm, basically everyone can get there no problem. They say it's good that I don't have a set goal of cm I feel strongly about. Everyone will be different and they have to assess things 1 cm at a time. They'll let you know if all is good for the next cm or not. I am leaning towards 6-7cm, probably landing on 6.5cm. But, I will just see how things go.

At this point, I'm just as concerned about what to tell my family and friends after, as the actual surgery itself. Honesty? Neck surgery? Scoliosis surgery? Bow legs? Who knows.

Anway, that's it for now. I'll update with anything that might be helpful closer to and after the surgery day. I stay pretty busy so can't really be bothered with posting Xrays and all that proving I'm a real patient. Don't think Dr. Paley needs any fake reviews anyway, right?

Cheers everyone.

TheAlchemist

Re: Bi-Lateral Stryde With Paley Consult Summer '19
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »

Paley August '19 here. Sent you a PM.

Just had my consultation and had a very similar experience. Best of luck on your journey! Hopefully we can connect this summer for support.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:44:43 PM by TheAlchemist »
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

verticalpush

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »

I'm looking forward to reading your diary, OGfivesevener!

Re: what to tell people -- "Leg surgery" works well enough for people who ask what happened but you don't want to get into the details. I personally haven't told more than 2 very close friends the actual truth. You can always embellish the truth a little bit (e.g., maybe one leg is shorter than the other and it's beginning to cause you hip problems?) but it's really up to you and what you're comfortable telling people.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 05:37:01 AM »

I'm looking forward to reading your diary, OGfivesevener!

Re: what to tell people -- "Leg surgery" works well enough for people who ask what happened but you don't want to get into the details. I personally haven't told more than 2 very close friends the actual truth. You can always embellish the truth a little bit (e.g., maybe one leg is shorter than the other and it's beginning to cause you hip problems?) but it's really up to you and what you're comfortable telling people.

Yea, on the one hand we could just treat it like no big deal and normalize it. Many surely will freak out though. "Leg and spine issues, don't want to get into it."

Movie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »

Congrats bro! I see you ended up choosing Paley, when's the surgery scheduled for? mine is Aug 8, Dr. Mahoubian
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

OGfivesevener

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 04:47:33 AM »

Congrats bro! I see you ended up choosing Paley, when's the surgery scheduled for? mine is Aug 8, Dr. Mahoubian

Hey mine will be mid July. Congrats to you also.

For those going with Paley July-September, I might be open to sharing lodging. Maybe, not sure lol.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »

Former/current Paley patients,

I am currently searching for a caregiver for the first 2 weeks. Is it the case that during the 3-4 days at the hospital the nurses and staff will be available enough to where I don't really need a caregiver with me?

Should I just book for when I get discharged and onward for 2 weeks?

I'm going through care.com for searching individual providers. Do you have other suggestions that worked well for you?

Thanks so much!

Ghostfish

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:43:58 AM »

Hi OG

You don't need a caregiver during time at the hospital.  Nurses over there are quite good.  You just need a caregiver from the discharge and 2 weeks or so.  Caregivers don't really do much for you but you need them at the beginning.  You can ask hospital or Paley institute about caregivers.

Good luck!

OGfivesevener

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »

Hi OG

You don't need a caregiver during time at the hospital.  Nurses over there are quite good.  You just need a caregiver from the discharge and 2 weeks or so.  Caregivers don't really do much for you but you need them at the beginning.  You can ask hospital or Paley institute about caregivers.

Good luck!

Cool, much appreciated Ghost.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:01:05 AM »

Well, we are nearly there. I should be responding next week from the hospital. If not, something is up.

Just putting it out there haha.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:29:43 AM »

Well, we are nearly there. I should be responding next week from the hospital. If not, something is up.

Just putting it out there haha.

We'll be keeping tabs on you next week waiting for a response haha.  Hope to see you in WPB in a couple of months. Best of luck to you man.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 11:07:54 PM »

Hey very random but, can any recent Paley patients let me know if the post surgery rooms have usb outlets? Forgot to pack the plug adapter and it’s just a hassle acquiring one without a car. Thanks!

edit: nvm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:11:52 AM by OGfivesevener »

OGfivesevener

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »

Currently in the hospital. No complications as far as I know. I’ll try to only share useful details.

Read about the issue with urinating post op. I had no issues. They bring you into the hospital beds 1-2 hours before surgery. Soon as you get into the door you should be asked if you need to pee. Go regardless if you feel the urge or not. It may help with the post op issues.

If you’re 100% sure you’re going through with surgery. Might be better to not read all the consent forms and all things running through your head right before surgery. Just sign the damn things.

Waking up after surgery was such a relief. You will be disoriented and kids might be crying left and right. Like a damn war zone. Nurse is asking you how you feel like it’s an urgency to move you along to your final room. I’m like give me a second to register how I’m feeling.

Your private room is nice. Door stays close and it never gets that noisy.

I didn’t have a catheter in when coming to. They emptied my bladder out and removed prior.

On surgery day I just rested. Didnt eat till late in the day. I had slight nausea and let them give me something for that first. Waited till I was fine then ate.

So they’re not walking you to the toilet to pee. You get the angled bottle container to pee into. Spread paper towels under your wee wee so you catch any leakage. You’ll get the hang of it and all is good.

Okay so everyone has been great but there are differences in how all the nurses go about things. This is important.  Know the meds they give you and what time they were given. I’m on toradol and oxy. Toradol isn’t a narcotic.  I feel both help very similarly for pain. Although I need two oxy to have an effect. Toradol is every 6 hours and oxy is every 4.  Make note of the times you take them. It should be staggered. Not at the same time. Just take it on schedule instead of waiting for that pain to increase. The issue was one night nurse wouldn’t just come and check on me every few hours like the day nurses. Most nurses come and check and ask about pain so I just relied on that. Keep up with the time you last took a med and set an alarm to wake yourself up if no one’s come to offer meds.

You’re basically getting interrupted 24/7 from nurses checking vitals, then taking blood, then the main nurse for pain.

Pain meds take effect 30 minutes roughly after administration. Once you’ve learned about the PT stretches. That period after the 30 minutes is great time to do stretches. Feels great after doing stretches when pain meds have kicked in rather than keeping your legs in one place all day.

InFullStryde

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 02:46:34 PM »

Your Journey has began OGFiveSevener.  You're courageous and your mind is in full gear.  Congratulations.

Best of luck to you and I'll be following your journal and chiming in from time-to-time. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any CLL questions or feedback you would like to bounce off of someone who has gone through the experience.

All the Best,

IFS
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

OGfivesevener

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 01:53:18 AM »

Your Journey has began OGFiveSevener.  You're courageous and your mind is in full gear.  Congratulations.

Thanks IFS! Excited to get to where you’re at soon. Cheers my man.

Movie

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 02:03:40 AM »

WooHoooo!! cheers to you my brother! You've done it haha the beginning of the journey, Let's goo!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TheAlchemist

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:11 AM »

OG congrats on a successful start to the journey brother! Sounds like you are on top of pain management - thanks for the tips. Rooting for you and will be joining you very soon.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 06:50:22 AM »

So no one told me until later in next the day after surgery by the PT. You can move your legs around. Left right rotating slightly left and right etc. for whatever reason I was under the impression legs are so fragile I shouldn’t move.  If you have help they can do that. Or if your pain meds are dialed in. The compression pads on your legs can feel restrictive so you can take a break from those also. Just have them back on when you stop moving your legs around much.

Dial the pain meds in and do the stretches 3 times a day while in the hospital. The walker was quite easy day 2 post op. So they transitioned me to crutches at the end of therapy. That was all new to me and I was tired after making a full circle around the floor with walker. Some visualization and I think I can get that down.

In fact they’re discussing not ordering any more wheelchairs for stryde patients now based on all experiences.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »

Do you mind telling us your age (approximately) and your job situation? Are you employed, self-employed, and how will you manage the work break that comes with the surgery, both financially and logistically?

Cheers.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

OGfivesevener

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »

Still not in front of a laptop yet but getting discharged today. 3 days post op and I walked around my floor on crutches after pain meds kicked in. Taking walker home just in case as well. Just hope pain is well controlled by myself after discharge.

I’m in my 30s. The work questions and all I don’t feel are important to help. Everyone will have their own situation.

MirinHeight

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 09:11:34 PM »

Still not in front of a laptop yet but getting discharged today. 3 days post op and I walked around my floor on crutches after pain meds kicked in. Taking walker home just in case as well. Just hope pain is well controlled by myself after discharge.

I’m in my 30s. The work questions and all I don’t feel are important to help. Everyone will have their own situation.

just curious how is your gait on crutches? just curious about the weight bearing capabilities of the stryde nail
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:55 PM »

^ mirinheight, your question is answered in this FAQ from the Paley institute:

http://paleyinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/Cosmetic-Stature-Lengthening-FAQs15.pdf

The STRYDE is made from Stainless Steel,which is stiffer and stronger. The mechanical testing of the STRYDE show that its bending strength to failure (yield strength) is approximately 1.5 times that of P2.2 and that its fatigue strength is nearly two times that of P2.2. (e.g. with the 11.5 nail the fatigue load for the 10.7 P2.2 nails is 118lbs vs. 244 for the 11.5mm STD; the fatigue strength for the 12.5mm nail is 146lbs for P2.2 vs. 320lbs for the 13mm STD nail)

OGfivesevener

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 05:11:24 PM »

Everyone. It’s been nothing but excitement around 2 days post surgery. I’ve got so much to say. Be back soon to write a novel. I’ve been walking around straight posture with crutches since 3 days post surgery at discharge. Back soon!

InFullStryde

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 09:51:38 PM »

Everyone. It’s been nothing but excitement around 2 days post surgery. I’ve got so much to say. Be back soon to write a novel. I’ve been walking around straight posture with crutches since 3 days post surgery at discharge. Back soon!

Looking forward to OG5S!

Wow, crutches and standing after only a few days? You're doing incredibly well so far! All the best!

IFS
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »

Amazing news OG! Great to hear of your progress and looking forward to your updates as well - cheers!

Movie

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 11:47:46 PM »

Good stuff bro! you're doing great, good mind set too keep it up!
Nails removed 10/06/2021

OGfivesevener

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »

freakin' exhausting past few days! haha. but excitement trumps it. I ended up doing this solo - no caregiver.

I'm going to start an official diary after all. It's gonna be a new thread. Long format guide of my experience and what I can share to help.

Finally got my bed desk laptop trey thingie which is awesome.

I keep procrastinating on the guide but that just means more details are coming in. Had my first PT session today. Piece of cake compared to all ive been putting myself through to set up my LL accessible room.

Made the front desk at hotel feel bad for not bringing up my Amazon boxes. I waited all day for someone to be available to bring the stuff up on a trolley cart.

I said F it, imma do it myself. Put boxes on trolley and took it to elevator to top floor (only 3 hehe) and the end of the hall on crutches. 3 different guests offered to help along the way but I was kind of upset and determined and thanked them and said I need the practice and insisted no help.

So today when I came down to trolley up hotel staff took it up for me right away : )

k, gotta get some work done first. I feel like a superstar being on crutches 3 days post op but my flexibility will still be a problem soon just like everyone else.

back soon all.

InFullStryde

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 11:33:04 PM »

freakin' exhausting past few days! haha. but excitement trumps it. I ended up doing this solo - no caregiver.

I'm going to start an official diary after all. It's gonna be a new thread. Long format guide of my experience and what I can share to help.

I keep procrastinating on the guide but that just means more details are coming in. Had my first PT session today. Piece of cake compared to all ive been putting myself through to set up my LL accessible room.

Made the front desk at hotel feel bad for not bringing up my Amazon boxes. I waited all day for someone to be available to bring the stuff up on a trolley cart.

I said F it, imma do it myself. Put boxes on trolley and took it to elevator to top floor (only 3 hehe) and the end of the hall on crutches. 3 different guests offered to help along the way but I was kind of upset and determined and thanked them and said I need the practice and insisted no help.

So today when I came down to trolley up hotel staff took it up for me right away : )

k, gotta get some work done first. I feel like a superstar being on crutches 3 days post op but my flexibility will still be a problem soon just like everyone else.

back soon all.

Gosh; All that and crutches after only 3 days! You're doing incredible.  Keep up the determination!  Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

IFS

SimonFuller

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:46 AM »

back soon all.

I'm getting excited for this diary already!

OGfivesevener

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »

Not all is sunny in Florida! Geezus if you all have a choice, avoid getting this done over the summertime. It’s chaos here.

Explain later.

cena

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »

Nice diary. Good luck ahead!

Actually most people have similar situations.  :)

1. Students (you probably are not, at 30+) mostly take a gap year or semester and do it
2. Employed people either quit their jobs and do it and find another one after its over OR go back to work on crutches OR figure out a way of getting extended leave.
3. Business owners can do anything they like

I think if you are 2 it would immensely help others to know some tips. Like does Paley institute write letters that allow an extended leave through FMLA?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up