Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - June 2019 - Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood  (Read 4041 times)

bishopcheck

• Visitor

Hello everyone,

Today June 23 is my 3rd full day after surgery.

A little about me - I'm 32, male, single and stand 5 foot 5.5 inches. My mother is helping me out during this process, she stops by at 11am and 11pm.

June 20 - Day of surgery - I got an uber @4:30am to the hospital. Arrive at 5:30, a bit of paperwork and it's off to the preop room to change into a gown. I see Dr M and he asks if I got any last questions, otherwise surgery starts around 7:00am. I wake up around noon after surgery and in considerable pain, but this pain is expected. By 8pm I've taken my first steps with the walker

June 21 - The hospital room is nice, a single bed room with tv and internet. Meals are pre ordered. And all the nurses and nurse assistants have phones that have a direct line to your bed control. The pain comes and goes, but is clearly worse after walking. I've walked all the down the hallway now.

June 22 - Discharge day - nothing too exciting, some light PT in the morning and I'm home by 2pm. Sleeping in my own bed is actually much more painful than the hospital, I don't know if it's the lack of constant ice or lower medications or what exactly.

June 23 - Today- My first full day outside of the hospital - It is very taxing moving around, using the restroom is very annoying. I don't think this would be possible if I didn't have so much upper body strength.  I am pretty much wheel chair bound, though I can use crutches/walker when needed ie the bathroom. But getting up from the sitting position is very taxing

I see Dr M on friday, and I'll update this thread then, but feel free to ask any questions. Here is a pic of my hospital white board https://imgur.com/a/QeblcTs as proof that Dr M is my doc.

Ghostfish

Re: Diary - June 2019 - Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 06:57:50 AM »

hi bishopcheck
congrats on your journey! Don't worry about wheelchair right now. It is normal to use wheelchair now. You will feel quite some pain for about 2 weeks due to the surgery and get better and better. Just try to use walker as much as you can until the pain is reduced, normally ~ 2 weeks. Then you can start using the crutches and move onto a cane a couple of weeks later.

Good luck and take care!

InFullStryde

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »

Hello everyone,

Today June 23 is my 3rd full day after surgery.

A little about me - I'm 32, male, single and stand 5 foot 5.5 inches. My mother is helping me out during this process, she stops by at 11am and 11pm.

June 20 - Day of surgery - I got an uber @4:30am to the hospital. Arrive at 5:30, a bit of paperwork and it's off to the preop room to change into a gown. I see Dr M and he asks if I got any last questions, otherwise surgery starts around 7:00am. I wake up around noon after surgery and in considerable pain, but this pain is expected. By 8pm I've taken my first steps with the walker

June 21 - The hospital room is nice, a single bed room with tv and internet. Meals are pre ordered. And all the nurses and nurse assistants have phones that have a direct line to your bed control. The pain comes and goes, but is clearly worse after walking. I've walked all the down the hallway now.

June 22 - Discharge day - nothing too exciting, some light PT in the morning and I'm home by 2pm. Sleeping in my own bed is actually much more painful than the hospital, I don't know if it's the lack of constant ice or lower medications or what exactly.

June 23 - Today- My first full day outside of the hospital - It is very taxing moving around, using the restroom is very annoying. I don't think this would be possible if I didn't have so much upper body strength.  I am pretty much wheel chair bound, though I can use crutches/walker when needed ie the bathroom. But getting up from the sitting position is very taxing

I see Dr M on friday, and I'll update this thread then, but feel free to ask any questions. Here is a pic of my hospital white board https://imgur.com/a/QeblcTs as proof that Dr M is my doc.

Good luck, Bishop. You're in good hands with Dr. Mahboubian.  I'm on most 5 1/2 post surgery and things are looking better. 3 inches taller and getting closer to being recovered each day. It was the best investment I've ever made. Feel free to reach out if you have questions.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

LAGrowin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »

Hi bishopcheck,

Congratulations!  I had surgery with Dr. M in January 2018.  Wishing you well in your recovery. The first 2-3 weeks are toughest, but you’ll adjust.  The whole thing will be over before you know it.  If you go the full 3”,  the new height of 5’8.5” will be incredible.

Keep us posted. 

TheAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »

Congrats on starting your journey! Rooting for you. Couple of questions:

1) How have you managed work/ career through this process? Did you quit your job, request a LOA, work remote?

2) Outside of your mom, what have you communicated to friends/families? Did you tell them about the procedure? How have you explained being away for 3 to 6 months?

Thanks
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Movie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »

Awesome another Mahboubian Diary, congrats bro! Might be seeing you around lol my surgery is coming up ... quickly
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »

Hey there guys, I just got back from Dr Mahboubian's office for my first checkup and to pick up the ERC device. Before I get to that, I'll answer some questions and talk about this past week.

Congrats on starting your journey! Rooting for you. Couple of questions:

1) How have you managed work/ career through this process? Did you quit your job, request a LOA, work remote?

2) Outside of your mom, what have you communicated to friends/families? Did you tell them about the procedure? How have you explained being away for 3 to 6 months?

Thanks

1. Right now, I manage some property and will be able to continue doing so.
2. I haven't told any of my friends or other family. I have told my other doctors since I'm trying to have the VA cover the physical therapy. As for not seeing anyone, I've actually told everyone that I've had surgery on my ankle. I was injured in an IED explosion in Iraq, and everyone knows I've had issued with my ankle since then and I've been talking about getting the screws removed for years now. But who knows how well this lie will stand up the next time my sister or cousins actually see me taller than them.

@ InFullStryde and LAGrowin Thanks for the kind words, I've read both your diaries and many of my concerns were alleviated afterwards. So again thanks for taking the time to write out such detailed experiences.

Days 2-6 post op
Besides the day of surgery, the pain at home has been much worse than at the hospital. I do however believe this is largely because I forgot the take the ice packs the hospital gave me and have been using reusable packs that only last an hour. So I've been only been able to ice 3-4 hours a day between refreezing. Yesterday, I received the ice packs that are used at the hospital, yes I ordered the same ones, they were $8 for a pair so I ordered 4. I felt much better yesterday after having ice on pretty much all day and night.

Different types of pain
So there's this pain that feels like the most ultimate soreness preventing me from moving my muscles. This pain isn't so bad, it's located between the knee and hip the entire length of the femur. But there's a much sharper more debilitating pain that flares in the knees and hip area mostly during movement. That being said, the pain is manageable and annoying, but I can deal with it. I've also had much worse pains so comparably this is easy.

Sleep has been pretty bad
 I haven't had a single sleep session last more than 3 hours, partly because of the pain, sleeping on my back when I'm a stomach sleeper, and having the use the restroom. I also have a real difficult time getting comfortable in my bed, either my knees hurt or my hip hurts, or my glutes or w/e. I found having extra pillows to put under my knees, butt, hip etc necessary in an never ending experiment to figure out a decent position for the day.

Movement has been pretty good
 Despite the pain and soreness my range of motion seems pretty good. With the walker or a single crutch I can pick up things off the floor, dress myself, get in and out of the shower. Honestly, I feel that with a bit of preparation I could have done this w/o anybody's(my mother's) help. I would not have wanted to, but for those out there that just can't get someone to help them, it's my opinion that it can be done. The biggest requirements are having enough upper body strength to push yourself up from the seated position and figuring out how you're going to get groceries.

Day 7

Today I saw DR M for my 1 week checkup and to pick up the ERC Machine.

I felt like I could have driven myself, but opted to have my mother drive since I knew the ERC machine would be difficult/impossible to lug around myself and also my mother wanted to meet Dr M. Everything is looking good so far, except for what might be the beginning of an infection on one of the stitch sites. So Dr M gave me a cephalexin script.

I met with DR M's media manager, I believe the doc is putting together a video or faq of some sort of the Stryde process. Answered a few questions, but nothing too personal. I agreed beforehand that this was ok with me, so no worries guys if you don't want your pictures or story and name posted online, they won't be.

The Nuvasive rep gave me the ERC and told me the instructions. It's honestly so simple I could teach my dog how to do it. I did my first session and that was it. I'm now a minuscule amount taller.

I've emailed my doctor at the VA, hopefully they will provide me the physical therapy I need, otherwise...I'll have to figure something out.

Alright guys that's pretty much it for now. I'll update again next Friday, unless something big happens before then.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:09:47 PM by bishopcheck »

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »

Day 8 post op/ day 2 distraction Well I'm only updating because the pain was intense yesterday. My right leg seems fine, almost no pain at all, but my left knee is around a 6 pain level and shoots to 7-8 every 5-10 minutes. The pain lasted through the night and is still with me this morning of Day 9. Norco's had no effect on the pain so I didn't get any sleep last night. Opiotes in general don't have much effect on me though.

I re-read InFullStryde's diary and he too had greater pain starting day 2 of distraction, so I'm not concerned yet, just annoyed.

If the pain doesn't subside a bit today then I'll contact Dr M tomorrow. I know he doesn't want his patients taking NSAID's, but I had a similar pain problem after my ankle reconstruction. Morphine every 4 hours wasn't relieving the pain, and even though NSAID's can interfere with bone growth, my doc decided to give me 800mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours which did help tremendously.

Maybe I should just try some marijuana....

InFullStryde

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »

Day 8 post op/ day 2 distraction Well I'm only updating because the pain was intense yesterday. My right leg seems fine, almost no pain at all, but my left knee is around a 6 pain level and shoots to 7-8 every 5-10 minutes. The pain lasted through the night and is still with me this morning of Day 9. Norco's had no effect on the pain so I didn't get any sleep last night. Opiotes in general don't have much effect on me though.

I re-read InFullStryde's diary and he too had greater pain starting day 2 of distraction, so I'm not concerned yet, just annoyed.

If the pain doesn't subside a bit today then I'll contact Dr M tomorrow. I know he doesn't want his patients taking NSAID's, but I had a similar pain problem after my ankle reconstruction. Morphine every 4 hours wasn't relieving the pain, and even though NSAID's can interfere with bone growth, my doc decided to give me 800mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours which did help tremendously.

Maybe I should just try some marijuana....

Hi Bishop,  I can remember this part of CLL all too well. That first week or so can be tough.  Through the CLL process, particularly during lengthening, and especially the 1st month, you're going to experience odd and random pain.  What helped me was a combination of things...I'll list below:

1) I switched to Tramadol and every 4 hours I believe and at night I would take Tramadol + Tylenol PM.   I had ZERO concern about becoming addicted...It was about fighting the pain for the first couple of week.   Stay on top of the pain pill regiment so you are ahead of the pain game vs having to play catch up.

2) Make sure your legs are in a comfortable position as much as possible. For me, this meant slightly elevated all day while sitting.   

3) At night especially, make sure temperature is Controlled, I found that a fan blowing on me gently helped to ease my discomfort.  I had cold packs handy and always ready to go via the freezer and this helped to ease my surgical pains in the early going.   

4) Sunlight helps...make sure you're going outside at least once daily and if you have windows, open them up.  Stay as sun friendly as you can.  It helps. 

5) Every night, I would have a bose wireless headset with me and play gentle, soothing music that helped me de-focus off of the pain.  Much of the issue at night is that you have nothing to think about other than trying to sleep...so the pain takes hold.... Gentle music, tylenol and tramadol pain med, soothing fan helping with the hotter temps of the summertime, cold packs to help sooth swelling...all of this helps.

6) Not sure if you have tried this; but I don't suggest trying to sleep on the side at all, this early.  You could aggravate your surgical pain and the next day will be washed up dealing with that pain.  Fortunately, all goes away; but my big thing with CLL is "Don't hurt yourself" any more than you have ot. It doesn't help to hurt yourself and aggravate inflammation this, especially this early.

I was contemplating doing CBD or MJ; but I decided not to do it.   One night, I tried some Pot Cookies and it had me in a daze but the pain was still there.  I didn't feel like I was functional enough to help myself if I needed to.  Having said that; I"m not use to Marijuana in the first place; so that could have lead to some of the issue.

Feel free to reach out to me as needed if you have specific questions.

All the Best,

IFS
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »

2.. I haven't told any of my friends or other family. I have told my other doctors since I'm trying to have the VA cover the physical therapy. As for not seeing anyone, I've actually told everyone that I've had surgery on my ankle. I was injured in an IED explosion in Iraq, and everyone knows I've had issued with my ankle since then and I've been talking about getting the screws removed for years now. But who knows how well this lie will stand up the next time my sister or cousins actually see me taller than them.

Hey Bishopcheck ...Did you really get injured in a explosion in Iraq?

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

Hey Bishopcheck ...Did you really get injured in a explosion in Iraq?

Yup

6) Not sure if you have tried this; but I don't suggest trying to sleep on the side at all, this early.  You could aggravate your surgical pain and the next day will be washed up dealing with that pain.  Fortunately, all goes away; but my big thing with CLL is "Don't hurt yourself" any more than you have ot. It doesn't help to hurt yourself and aggravate inflammation this, especially this early.

IFS

Haha Yah I tried getting on my side, but the pain made it impossible to say on it, and I was stuck on my side like an upside down turtle for 20 minutes while I figured out a way to roll over onto my back without hurting myself even more.

Alright these past few days were rough, but I had some relief with the help of Marijuana.

Day 2-3 distraction, June 29 - June 30.
The pain was intense, the sleep was non existent and it seems like there is no relief of pain or discomfort as I've tried every body + leg position possible and nothing helps.

Day 4-5 distraction, July 1 - July 2 - I would have updated on the July 2nd but I wanted to make sure what happened wasn't a fluke.

Monday the 1st - So I contacted Dr M about using Marijuana for pain relief since opiates just don't work that well on me. His nurse got back to me and said that Dr M says edible marijuana use and vaping are fine, but no smoking. So I went to weedmaps and found a supplier that would deliver to my door.

I went with 3 types just to test things out. One type is Sativa, and two are Indica's, one with high CBD. There's a study done with rats that showed CBD increased fracture healing. So I've been taking some of the CBD strain with both the other two. The Marijuana helps tremendously with the pain almost too well actually. I felt almost no pain while stoned, but that meant I was 'using' my legs more and manipulating them more w/o realizing that the pain is there, I just couldn't feel it. When the high wore off sometime around midnight, and then the pain came back worse then ever. I had to take some more to fall asleep.

Tuesday the 2nd -  I woke up wondering if I slept because I was so sleep deprived or because the MJ was actually helping. I'm still dialing in the dose and frequency, but it definitely helps. Still, having gone 15 years without using MJ makes figuring out how much to eat kinda difficult.

Day 6 distraction - July 3 Last night I took some marijuana and also two benadryl. I slept so heavy that my first alarm at 5am didn't wake me up so I missed a lengthening session. Hopefully I can add that session to the end of the cycle. Or maybe I'll just do another 4 lengthening sessions tomorrow, I'll decide tonight depending on how I feel.

That being said, when I woke up I felt pretty good. A little drowsy, but otherwise much better than the previous few days. Hmm I'm also feeling a bit of tightness in my hamstrings, I doubt that's a good sign feeling tightness this early. Anyways. The VA is giving me the run around about getting PT, so I might have to pay out of pocket for a bit until someone at the VA get's off their lazy butts and gets me a referral. This Friday I'll try and measure myself to compare it to before measurements which are found in the picture below.

Bonez

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »

I long suspected that marijuana would help with LL pain, its great to hear that its helped you so much

Congrats on your surgery!!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:21:22 PM by Bonez »

Lalbadshah

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 12:23:08 AM »

Does Mahboubian do IT band release ?

BeYourBest

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »

Great info on here Bishop!

I think the MJ may be beneficial. If you find it is helping with sleep etc and your doctor says it’s fine to have it then you should.

I have been smoking MJ on and off for 9 years and can say the benefits are great! But yeah I will be moving onto edibles as I edge closer to a surgery date.

All the best on your journey!

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »

I long suspected that marijuana would help with LL pain, its great to hear that its helped you so much

Congrats on your surgery!!!

I seriously think the pain is the fun part for me ... as I love pain 🤣

Lalbadshah

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »

Is not smoking bad for LL?!

fodawupa

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »

Is not smoking bad for LL?!

yes u should stop smoking atleast 1 year before surgery
"Gammal kjærleik rustar inkje."

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 12:08:31 AM »

Distraction days 6 - 8, July 3 - 5

Where to start. Alright guys, so the pain is still here, the marijuana helps, but it really just makes the intolerable, tolerable. There is the surgery-site pains ie the anchoring screws are still too painful to sleep on, so it's still back only for laying down.

That said, most of the pain now is in the muscles and tendons. The pain comes in waves after each lengthening session. I believe that if you are flexible, ie you can touch your toes kinda of flexible then you won't have nearly as much pain.

But If you are like me, someone who could bend over and barley touch my shins, then you'll be in for quite a bit more pain as your legs are stretched. Speaking of which here is my semi-official new height after 1 week.

By my count that's 5.5mm, which is lower than it should be. I should be at least 7mm. But things of note are, I can't quite put both my feet together so I can't stand completely straight up for the measuring. So maybe the missing millimeters are there.

But maybe the ERC requires very precise placement and I've missed it a few times or maybe I wasn't pushing the ERC down with enough force.  Either way there's nothing to do but wait until I see the doc.

The VA is getting me some physical therapy with a third party, so hopefully I can start PT soon. Otherwise I've simply been getting up and stretching my legs at least once every hour and taking a few steps. I've also started stretching before and after each lengthening session. Now that there's only 3 lengthening sessions a day hopefully the pain subsides a bit more.

InFullStryde

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »

Distraction days 6 - 8, July 3 - 5

Where to start. Alright guys, so the pain is still here, the marijuana helps, but it really just makes the intolerable, tolerable. There is the surgery-site pains ie the anchoring screws are still too painful to sleep on, so it's still back only for laying down.

That said, most of the pain now is in the muscles and tendons. The pain comes in waves after each lengthening session. I believe that if you are flexible, ie you can touch your toes kinda of flexible then you won't have nearly as much pain.

But If you are like me, someone who could bend over and barley touch my shins, then you'll be in for quite a bit more pain as your legs are stretched. Speaking of which here is my semi-official new height after 1 week.

By my count that's 5.5mm, which is lower than it should be. I should be at least 7mm. But things of note are, I can't quite put both my feet together so I can't stand completely straight up for the measuring. So maybe the missing millimeters are there.

But maybe the ERC requires very precise placement and I've missed it a few times or maybe I wasn't pushing the ERC down with enough force.  Either way there's nothing to do but wait until I see the doc.

The VA is getting me some physical therapy with a third party, so hopefully I can start PT soon. Otherwise I've simply been getting up and stretching my legs at least once every hour and taking a few steps. I've also started stretching before and after each lengthening session. Now that there's only 3 lengthening sessions a day hopefully the pain subsides a bit more.

Hi Bishop, It is all good.  Your muscles are going to feel pretty tight due to the post-surgery implications as well.  Continue to do those stretches and things will be okay.  Also, since you mention tight hamstrings I'll tell you that at the end of lengthening I had a very slight; yet still existent bend in the knee (could not straighten fully) due to tight hamstrings. All straightened out nicely once I stopped lengthening.  Please message me if you have any questions or need advice. 

Thank you,

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »

Big news I got 5 hours of sleep the past 2 nights. This is not my desired amount, but it's far better than the 3 hours I had been getting. This is thanks to Ambien + Norco right before bedtime.

Distraction 9-17, July 6-14 The pain was pretty terrible for the past week since I ran out of meds on the 4th of July weekend so getting a refill wasn't possible. When I told Dr M that I had only been getting 3 hours of sleep because of the pain, he gave me some Ambien and refilled my script for Norco. And oh boy, five hours feels like heaven compared to three.

I have been taking a shower an hour before and an hour after every lengthening session to loosen up and attempt deep stretches. These showers really help with the lightening pains, but they aggravate the surgery sites, so I'm still icing most of the day. 

Distraction day 15, July 12
Dr M said, I am between 15-18 millimeters taller, and by my count I am exactly 15 2/3 millimeters taller. Taking the rate of my femurs healing, Dr M says I should keep lengthening three times a day, and I should cut back on the marijuana use now that I have refilled my norco script. I took an Uber to and from DR M's office. I also drove 6 miles to and from Walgreens to pic up my meds. Driving a short distance seems easy enough, but I doubt driving over an hour with traffic would be a good idea.

The VA is trying to get me PT between now and September, so until they make it happen I'll be doing PT at Dr Mahboubian's office starting monday July 15.

Hi Bishop, It is all good.  Your muscles are going to feel pretty tight due to the post-surgery implications as well.  Continue to do those stretches and things will be okay.  Also, since you mention tight hamstrings I'll tell you that at the end of lengthening I had a very slight; yet still existent bend in the knee (could not straighten fully) due to tight hamstrings. All straightened out nicely once I stopped lengthening.  Please message me if you have any questions or need advice. 

Thank you,

Thanks for the support. I'm having serious issues transitioning from sitting to standing and vice versa, so hopefully the PT helps with that. Otherwise, I just hope it eases up a bit. 

amandasolomon

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »

Hello!

Bishopcheck, thanks so much for sharing your journey with the limblengthening forum and it makes us so happy to see that you are supported by so many members here on the forum. The recovery process will only become more comfortable for you as each day goes by, and it must feel great knowing that there are so many people on here who want to help you have the best possible recovery! 

To everyone who is offering advice and support to Bishopcheck, you are awesome and we appreciate you more than you know! It really does warm our hearts to see past patients who are so open with their experiences and so willing to share and help. Thank you for your time and your support!

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 10:20:20 PM »

Alright guys, It's been a while. I'll update and also clear up some stuff I said before.

Apologies for the long delay, this process is kicking my ass. When I first met Dr Mahboubian, I told him "I know pain." How foolish of me to be so arrogant. Certainly, having my ankle crushed in an IED blast was a more intense pain, while less severe, the lengthening pains never abate. They are a constant, debilitating, shadow. There seems to be no relief, and honestly every day has been worse than the last since every day all my tissue is tighter and tighter.

I've lived in a sort of pain coma for the last few weeks. I average 2 hours of continuous sleep a night, and typically can sleep in 30 minutes intervals until morning. For a total of 4 hours or so. And this is with Tramadol, ambien, and a muscle relaxer. Most nights after I toss and turn for a few hours, I end up turning my bathroom into a steam sauna by letting the hot water run with the door closed. And I alternate sitting on the floor and sitting on the toilet.

I have been going to PT 5 days a week. It's grueling, painful and completely necessary. I have been driving to PT, about a 20 minute drive, with relative ease. Driving is the easy part, getting to and from the parking lot is the difficult part.

Today is 6 weeks, and now only 1.4 inches remain. Still unsure if I'm going to make it, but here goes.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 10:56:04 PM »

Hey bishopcheck, sorry to hear about the pain you've been goin through. What part of the leg do you feel the most pain in? Do you think a rigorous stretching routine (for hamstrings) would've possibly helped before the surgery?

Also, have you considered reducing the number of lengthenings per day? I recall VerticalPush having pain issues as well and when he reduced to 2 lengthenings per day (from the usual 3) it was a big help.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:34:55 PM by JsElysianEagle »

bishopcheck

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 08:06:29 PM »

Hey guys
Today will be the big 2 inch day! A little crazy to think about. There hasn't been much change for me, If I'm lucky, I get a few hours of sleep, otherwise I simply go about my day in a haze of sorts. The constant pain is simply exhausting. And  2 days ago a new pain arrived, where the new bone is growing, or the bone gap as others have called it. The bone gap pain had me screaming and moaning in public and for nearly the whole hour of PT. One second I'm talking to my physical therapist, the next I'm screaming for 5 minutes because because the bone gap is so sensitive that even the slightest pressure can set it off.

There's still some swelling, and while I can get on my stomach, I can't stay on it. I still cannot find a comfortable position to sit or lay in, and obviously I can't stand for long either. Speaking of standing, my IT band is now in direct competition with my inner thigh muscles, like hip flexors and groin. The IT band is pulling my legs so far apart that the inner muscles are now forced to contract. Also I feel betrayed by my quads. This whole time my quads have been fine, but the same day the bone gap pain starts, my quads start to hurt as well.

Walking is well how do I describe this. I can maneuver around on crutches or a walker, but to call it walking would be a lie because of how far apart my feet are. Practicing to actually walk means moving even a few feet can take an extremely long time. But I spend at least 10 minutes a day practicing. And I've been doing PT 5 days a week, although to be honest my therapists seems a bit perplexed about what to do. But I did tell him the deep massages really helped reduce the pain of ERC sessions.

Hey bishopcheck, sorry to hear about the pain you've been goin through. What part of the leg do you feel the most pain in? Do you think a rigorous stretching routine (for hamstrings) would've possibly helped before the surgery?

Also, have you considered reducing the number of lengthenings per day? I recall VerticalPush having pain issues as well and when he reduced to 2 lengthenings per day (from the usual 3) it was a big help.
Honestly the IT band pulls on just about everything, and my IT band was tight on day 1. There's just so many different muscles that need stretching. Getting them all beforehand if you are non-flexible just doesn't seem possible.  DR M said the rate of my bone growth dictates the number of sessions a day I have to do, and 2 a day is too few.

Well now what do I do? Do I keep pushing? I want to at least get 2.5 inches that way with my starting height of 5 feet 5.5inch, I would be 5'8.While 3 inches would put met at 5'.8.5 and would allow me say I'm 5'.9-5'10 with shoes on even though I'd still be in the 5'8 club. I see dr M next Friday which means if I continue with the ERC until I see dr M, I'll only be 1 week away from 2.5inches. So I mean...I might as well continue until I see dr M and make sure the healing is going well and no matter how stupid I might look right now, that eventually I will be walking normally.

Any Q's?

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »

stay strong bishopcheck .... you can make it there

Movie

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 04:37:50 PM »

push for your goal bro, after the tightness and issues you're having will subside
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

InFullStryde

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »

Hi Bishop,

Hope all is well.  I would go forward with whatever recommendation Dr. M gives.  He knows best in these cases.

All the best,

IFS

InFullStryde

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »

Hi Bishop,

Just checking in. How are things going?
Pages: [1]   Go Up