Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Debiparshad  (Read 1078 times)

jayes

• Visitor
Femurs with Dr. Debiparshad
« on: December 18, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »

Hey guys,

I learned so much from all the posts here and couldn't have done this without this forum!

I had both femurs done with Dr. D on November 15.  Post-op course was pretty uneventful. Didn't really have any major issues.  I did this by myself and didn't really need any help after the first night after being discharged.  The home care service only does 3 hour blocks and wasn't exactly cheap. I didn't need someone to sit with me and watch TV for 2 hours. You do have to be prepared though. I stocked my hotel room with food for the whole stay which made things very easy. 

I stayed in Nevada for about 3 weeks and returned to Canada where I am lengthening now.  I was able to walk in my condo without any aides by about the beginning of the 4th week.  I use a cane when I go outside for a bit.  It's not like I'm doing a ton of walking. It is slow and exhausting but I can get around with a cane. Drove around a bit recently and it was relatively comfortable.  I am doing daily PT.

I'm currently at 2.8 cm distraction.  I don't have significant pain.  But I am having a lot of tightness at this stage. Like I am stretching every couple of hours or it becomes uncomfortable.  It's not uncomfortable when sitting or lying down.  Just when I'm walking.  I was expecting this but I am disappointed that it started this early. Did you guys sail through this stage?  I know everyone gets really tight towards the end.  I can't imagine the tightness improving with time.  I can only see this getting worse with further lengthening. I am lengthening 3X per day.  So I've adjusted my expectations and I'm only going for 5 cm, if possible 6.25 cm.  From reading other people's experiences, it seems that most people didn't have a lot of tightness this early.

TheAlchemist

Re: Femurs with Dr. Debiparshad
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:24:36 PM »

I just finished distraction 3 days ago and I reached 8 cm.

I started feeling tight around 4cm so you are feeling it a bit earlier than I am.

There are a couple of factors impacting how tight I got:

1) How much time you invest in stretching

2) Your weight and body type. Generally the thicker you are, and the more leg muscle mass you have, the harder it is fight off the tightness. I had a relative advantage here because I had fairly thin, non muscular legs going into this.

3) Your body position throughout the day. The more your knees are bent during the day (e.g. sitting) and sleeping (e.g. with your knees bent) the tighter you will get, specifically in your IT band. It's best to keep your legs straight as much as possible.

By far the most important thing is 1), how much time you invest in stretching. I've met many LLers during my journey and the main factor in those who successfully hit their CM goal and those who didn't was stretching. The people who hit their goals had a robust stretching regimen and those that failed and tapped out at around 5 to 6 cm were lazy and didn't stretch at all.

I personally stretched 4 to 6x a day. I did my op with Paley which include 1x daily PT, so I would do 3 to 5 stretches at home. Each stretch was 30 to 45 min long and was comprehensive stretches across quads, hamstrings, hips, and groin. I think this dedication to stretching was key to me hitting 8 CM. Even with this amount of time and investment in stretching, I still got tight and had to rate limit my distraction from 1mm to .75mm a few days.

The other option you have, is if you have the time, slow down your rate of distraction from 1MM a day to 0.75mm or even 0.5 mm .

Also, sleep with your legs straight. When you walk, don't focus on speed, focus on form. Narrow your legs, walk with long strides, this helps with stretching your IT bands.

Good luck man !

Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

jayes

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:50:55 PM »

Thanks for your response Alchemist.

I'm doing stretches every 2 hours.  I just came back from PT and the cab ride back got me tight so I quickly stretched my hamstrings.  I can't do comprehensive stretches when I'm stretching every 2 hours. I try to stretch what I can.

I did have a decent amount of muscle in my legs from lower body workouts.  I used to do a decent amount of barbell squats and deadlifts. I think the muscle mass I had helped me get mobilized and walking independently earlier on but are now punishing me with the tightness.

You're right about prolonged sitting and sleeping.  I'm trying to maximize my mobility.  Since I'm doing this alone I have to run small errands and such myself. 

I think backing down from 1 mm/day may be a potential solution.  But I just want to get through this process quickly and get back to normalcy. I don't want to prolong it.

I agree with your post except for where you're suggesting that people who end lengthening earlier have themselves to blame. Or maybe I misunderstood you.  I think there are a number of good reasons why people may want to end earlier.  Our body types may just not be as accommodating.  I'm getting tight at 2.8 cm which is earlier than other people. People also may not think the extra few cm is worth the time and opportunity cost. People may also be concerned about safety and longterm negative outcomes.

But you otherwise make great points!  Cheers dude.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »

I agree with your post except for where you're suggesting that people who end lengthening earlier have themselves to blame. Or maybe I misunderstood you.  I think there are a number of good reasons why people may want to end earlier.  Our body types may just not be as accommodating.  I'm getting tight at 2.8 cm which is earlier than other people. People also may not think the extra few cm is worth the time and opportunity cost. People may also be concerned about safety and longterm negative outcomes.

But you otherwise make great points!  Cheers dude.

Totally agree there is no shame in ending early or whenever your body tells you is the right time. Functionality + health is always more important than height. There are a lot of variables at play and some of them are out of our control. I was speaking to people who had a set goal (for example 8 CM) who were stopped by the doctor because they were too tight specifically due to lack of stretching on their part. I had one friend who never stretched and was stopped by the doctor and force to take a long break, and upon follow up, was stopped by the doctor again, this person never stretched.
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

limewalk

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 03:53:24 AM »

Hi jayes,

You appear to be doing well and without any aides right from the beginning. Hope you are able to reach your goal easily.

I checked one thread you had created previously. Did you end up choosing Debiparshad instead of Paley because he allows you to go home? Do you find him to be good and as per your expeectation? What nail width did he use on you? If you can send any xrays to the forum we would love to see it.  :)

Also, are you able to keep your work engagements going while lengthening?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:49:47 AM by limewalk »

Meck

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »

I also feel that on my 3cm and i het nervous, but believe me now im 5 cm and not feel nothing when lengthening i have feel i can do also 2mm oer day without feel anything, after you reach 4.5cm all stop, pain and uncomfortable all and only time need to wait, my goal on femur before wass 8cm but I will post xray with 10cm reach my goal, now im 5.5
Pages: [1]   Go Up