Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd post for me...just got out of surgery today  (Read 2527 times)

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
2nd post for me...just got out of surgery today
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:58:51 PM »

Hi, second post for me.  I made one other post in the Travel and Meetup area.  Anyway, I am having bi lateral femur lengthening done by Dr. Paley.  And just got out of surgery
2 - 3 hours ago.  Feel fine when I don't move.  If I try to ever so slghtly move my upper legs, I notice a quite of bit of pain and that as of now my upper legs are completely useless.

Movie

Re: 2nd post for me...just got out of surgery today
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »

That's how it is bro congrats on a successful surgery
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TheAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:44:19 PM »

Congrats! Huge part of the journey checked off. You are on your way. Excited for you man! Keep us posted.
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 11:46:24 PM »

Thanks you guys.  It really helps a lot to get tidbits of advice and information from guys who have done this before.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 01:45:23 AM »

Thanks you guys.  It really helps a lot to get tidbits of advice and information from guys who have done this before.

These next few days will be interesting and exciting. Couple of tips:

-Eat a lot. Your body just went through a lot of trauma. Your legs are broken. You are going to be burning tons of calories. Eat all the food the hospital gives you as it will aid in your recovery.
-I think the Paley fee provides for 4 nights? If you are doing well they may suggest you leave on day 3. Unless you are in a rush, I suggest you stay the full time. Better to be under the watch of RN's.
-Take it easy. A lot of my friends were eager to walk ASAP given the Stryde weight bearing technology. Too much walking and strain results in more post surgery trauma and pain. Take the amount of walks/exercises recommended by the medical staff but nothing more.
-This first week will be chill given the pain meds you are on. You will start to feel more pain once you leave the hospital and for the next 2 to 3 weeks. Stay strong. Know that after those first 2 to 3 weeks, things get exponentially better.

Best of luck man. Rooting for you! Feel free to PM me if you have Q's!

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »

Thanks so much.  One question/concern about eating a lot...

Right now I think i would be in trouble if I had a b.m.  Not sure I would be able to so that right now nor in the near future.

readyprecisestryde

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 03:43:00 AM »

Not to worry and eat  a lot...your body needs it for faster recovery ..the nurse at st Mary hospital will give you a pill every morning for bowl movement. Staff at st Mary hospital are great and on top of their game

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »

Thanks my big worry is being able to make it to the toilet. Currently, waiting on doing my first meeting with the physical therapist. Right now I don't have much confidence getting around to for example the bathroom.  But let's see after pt.

Movie

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 07:29:31 AM »

Yeah man I honestly ate most of what they gave me and didn't have bowel movement until the 5th day post op once I was already in my second day at home... let me tell you it was kind of painful even with the comode. there will come a time where your body will want to expel the waste you have in you. be patient not every one of us had bowel movements right after operation, its normal if you don't.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TheAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »

Yeah man I honestly ate most of what they gave me and didn't have bowel movement until the 5th day post op once I was already in my second day at home... let me tell you it was kind of painful even with the comode. there will come a time where your body will want to expel the waste you have in you. be patient not every one of us had bowel movements right after operation, its normal if you don't.

Same here I didn't have any bowel movements until day 5 or 6 post op after I was home. Honestly bowel movements in first month are going to be challenging so best to just embrace it :) I'd suggest making sure you have a raised commode on your toilet to making sitting easier and use your walker to get to and from the bathroom. It will be difficult to get up from the seat so a combination of the commode and using the walker to stabilize and support getting up using upper body strength is recommended.

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »

Just giving a status update.  Two days post op.  Its really a struggle getting out of or into a chair and getting out of or into my bed.  Just a bit concerned about being able to leave the hospital on Saturday (I've already added a day to my hospital stay as recommended by others).  Just at this point it seems rather ambitious.

Movie

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 03:53:18 AM »

Yes of course it'll be pretty difficult and painful you'll just have to push through it bro, no pain no gain, it will not kill you every day is a day closer to being taller! just keep pushing through, stay on time with your pain killers and you'll be fine.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »

Thanks Movie

Futureller

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »

Very exciting time for you.  I'm trying to get myself under the knife next August when I'll hopefully have the funds.  What's your starting height?

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 07:05:44 AM »

I haven't updated this thread in a bit.

Really struggling. The constant dull aches to my legs is really tough.  I am a little more that 3 weeks out from surgery (it was 6/9).  This is tough stuff.  I've lengthened 18.5 cm's so far (did half amount so far for today).

Futureller I started out about 5'7 ot 5'8.

I have a doctor apt with Dr Robbins on Monday.  Considering call it quits depending on what he thinks.

Yea...I know that would be well short of my goal but I just wonder if my hamstrings are just too damn tight? Or, yes...perhaps I am a just a wuss ):

How long before this constant dull ache in my legs go away?  Is this mostly due to the initial surgery or due to lengthening or perhaps both?

Sorry, I wish I could be in better spirits.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 07:21:31 AM »

Push through man. You broke your legs for 1.8cm gain? Hell no.

It's hard but life is harder if you don't push through temporarily. You basically gained no height and your height insecurities won't be resolved.

Stay on it. Take pain meds if it hurts badly. It's not bad to take it if you're suffering, don't feel guilty about it.

If you need motivation remember you spent 100k on this. Push through my friend.

What's your age may I ask? It seems very worrying you're struggling to the point of wanting to quit at 1.8cm only

From what I've read, after 3 weeks post op it gets EXPONENTIALLY EASIER. push through this week bro and you'll go full speed
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 07:41:01 AM »

No, no, no I am not that much of a wuss  :).  I meant 18.5 cm's or I think about .728 of an inch.

1. But you said you heard is gets easier after about 3 weeks?

2. And, I will talk to Dr. Robbins about pain med option.  The original oxy they gave me ran out a long time ago.  I don't how often they give out pain meds after you use up the oxy your were given.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 08:09:22 AM »

I'm certain it's 1.85 cm. You are talking about 18.5 mm. Millimeters. Not centimeters. 1 inch ≈ 2.5cm. American school system huh...

Anyways, 1.85cm is still very very early, I have never read out of the 50 of so diaries I read so far, never a single person stopped at this point ever. Keep going, you got this. It gets better from here.

As a note: 10mm = 1cm
25mm ≈ 1 inch
To be exact, 1 inch = 2.54cm = 25.4mm, but the numbers above are good enough for estimations and simpler for memorization purposes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:02:40 AM by ghkid2019 »

User requested self-ban.

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 08:17:54 AM »

You're right...1.85 cm, my mistake.  Sleep depravity.

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »

This is my theory.  All the pt people I've worked with are telling me how super tight my hamstrings are. I am thinking what if this just does not go well for a small percentage of the population.  What if you get to a baseball game and there are 30k people there and are 100 guys there with this issue.  I guess, I am saying what if I am that guy (the guy who unluckily had the just about the tightest hamstrings there are)? 

It has to be someone, right?

(Sorry, I know this post reads pretty idiotic but searching for answers and in pain).

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »

What's your age

Could you touch your toes before the surgery? If not, how close were you from doing so? How many inches

For reference, infullstryde had tight ass hamstrings and was a solid 6 inches from touching his toes but still did the full 8 cm
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:50:05 PM by ghkid2019 »

User requested self-ban.

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »

Older.   Afraid of giving too much detail...i feel my luck is not going well.

ghkid--if i read my post and was someone else, i would have the same conclusion you came to...what's wrong this guy and why is he stopping so soon.

Right now, I see Dr. Robbins on monday and haven't lengthed today.

I am 99.9999% sure I am wont lengthen again unless there is some mismatch when my xrays are taken monday.

I am just interested in pain management now.  And I confused like you and others who read this post probably are as why I need to stop.

I just think I am 'that guy' (you know one of the ones with the ridiculous bad luck, etc.

I think Paley/Robbins did fine...just that I am chance of where things can go wrong.  I repeat I think they did everything right...I want to be very careful with my words.

I just think I'm unfortunately 'that guy'.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 11:11:49 PM »

Please don't give up man. I understand it's your choice. But push through to 3cm at least. Please man.

You'll feel pain either way. Just because you stop lengthening doesn't mean the pain stop you realize right? You'll still suffer for months and months. Might as well get taller, like your original goal was. 3cm. 4cm. Please man. Please. I beg you.

User requested self-ban.

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 12:52:26 AM »

thanks for the encouragement ghkid....

I think there fault with me. 

There is a saying 'not knowing what you are up against' and i think that fits me in this case.

But well see.  I'll survive either way. 

TheAlchemist

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 01:38:45 AM »

Keep pushing through. The pain is intense but remember that it is temporary. You've put in a lot of time, money and dedication to get to where you are right now.

Think of it this way. You are incredibly blessed to be where you are right now. You have a once in a lifetime opportunity to get taller. An opportunity that millions of men and women around the world WISH they had but can't due to financial / economic/ regulatory constraints. You are here with your legs voluntarily broken, $100k in, with the best doctor in the world overseeing you, with the most advanced limb lengthening technology ever, with a simple goal, to get taller. Be thankful for that and make the most of this incredible opportunity.

Pain is completely normal at this stage. Tightness is completely normal at this stage. What you are experiencing is the same thing that I myself, and hundreds of other LL patients at Paley's experienced before you. You aren't special in that regard. Push through.

Couple of questions:

1) How much time are you putting in stretching and physical therapy? Stretching is key. I can't stress this enough. For context, I stretched 4 to 5 hours a day throughout distraction in ADDITION to going to PT at Paleys. I had below average flexibility. All my life before LL I couldn't even touch my toes while standing. I stretched every day leading up to it and got to the point where I could do it. Point is our bodies are amazing and with the right mindset and discipline you can hit milestones.

2) Were you dependent on pain meds / oxy? I'm surprised you have finished your oxy this early. I rationed mine out throughout the entire lengthening stage. I only used it when the pain escalated to extreme highs. Yes I felt a dull pain throughout the whole experience but I stayed off the oxy and my body soon developed a tolerance for the pain. I took Tylenol regularly. A lot of people who quit early took way too much oxy in the beginning and neglected PT and stretching and once the oxy ran out and their prescription wasn't refilled guess what......they couldn't handle the pain and gave up. Oxy is not a cheat code, it should be viewed as a last resort emergency resolution to when pain escalates, outside of that, PT and pain tolerance should carry you through.

3) How did you finance this procedure? If you paid with your hard earned cash just think about how much this will set you back financially for a couple of CMs.

4) I know the pain is intense now, but try to think back on how bad the height neurosis was before LL. Imagine going through all this, not hit your height goal, only to quit and return to life with height neurosis. For me, after doing LL it completely freed me of height neurosis. The pain from the surgery and tightness is nothing compared to the daily pain and shame I felt with height neurosis. Embrace the pain now knowing that it will all be worth it on the other side.

Movie

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 01:46:46 AM »

there's no such thing as being that "unlucky guy" if you ask me, with work and dedication and some adjustment you may be able to continue, try lengthening .66 a day instead of the .99mm (if you're doing 3 times a day system) and skipping days if pain is too much, but stopping at 1.8CM would be such a shame and a waste, that's not even a full inch gained! just continue stretching and honestly you can do your own physical therapy (just like I did) to work on what you need more, you seem like you need flexibility more than strength at the moment... so stretch more, watch youtube videos on how to stretch properly and they'll teach you the breathing techniques and stretch programs. Don't give up man ! at least get 4 CM lol so you can see some sort of difference and recover very nicely
Nails removed 10/06/2021

Anonymousguy

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »

I do think you are right.  I think I lost it and regret posting this.  If I allowed to delete this I would like to.  This is last I will post on this...unless I learn how to delete thread.  Regrets.

k1erz

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 11:28:32 PM »

I’ve got complete faith in you Anonymousguy.

Please keep us updated so we’ll be able to motivate you and help you through any times you start feeling down.

As The Alchemist has said you’re with one of the best doctors in the world. You’ll be absolutely fine.

This period might be tough but just think about walking around next year, potentially three inches taller like Movie and The Alchemist are.

BeYourBest

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2020, 12:15:36 AM »

Hang in there. Pain is temporary. Stop if you think there’ll be long term problems.

Could you please provide details on your flexibility pre op?

We’re you able to touch your toes?

All the best
Pages: [1]   Go Up