Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53064 times)

StrydeNailChallenge

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2021, 09:47:52 PM »

What a beast! Amazing even for a normal person ;D

Thanks Tartar,

It feels good to be called a beast :P   

How is it going? I hope you are happy with your gait and strength so far.
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2021, 09:49:52 PM »

Yeah, that kind of flexibility just barely 5 months after cutting your thigh tissue and breaking both femurs is illegal. The most impressive patient I've ever seen... StrydeNailChallenge

Thanks ghkid2019. Believe it or not, I was talking about you with a friend of mine yesterday. I think of you as the Simon Cowell of this forum! direct to the point, and precise :D  it means a lot man; to receive such kind words from you!
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Tartar

« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »

Thanks Tartar,

It feels good to be called a beast :P   

How is it going? I hope you are happy with your gait and strength so far.
Unfortunately I'm a bit unlucky, my right leg is healed but the left one has problem with the nail, it's moving. I'm lazing in the bed to let it consolidate, I'm probably worse than a precice 2 patient :-\ but I hope to come back as soon as possible
But I'm happy to see that you and m7 are already so fine!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »

Unfortunately I'm a bit unlucky, my right leg is healed but the left one has problem with the nail, it's moving. I'm lazing in the bed to let it consolidate, I'm probably worse than a precice 2 patient :-\ but I hope to come back as soon as possible
But I'm happy to see that you and m7 are already so fine!

Sorry to hear that Tartar! Did you doctor recommend using crutches and use your right leg to move around? just to keep your body mobility at a minimum level to avoid any health complications?  I hope your consolidation phase passes soon successfully.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »

Day 158 Post-op (Sun., Dec. 27 ) - Consolidation Day 77
Day 159 Post-op (Mon., Dec. 28 ) - Consolidation Day 78

Jogging and Walking: I have recently been jogging for a minimum of 1.5 mile (daily) in intervals of 0.1 to 0.5 miles, without pushing it too much. This is because, I'll have an appt. with Dr. M on Jan 12th.  I hope I will have excellent bone consolidation and hardening with no nail bending, or any other complications, therefore have not pushed on jogging.

While jogging, I make sure stay below 30% of what I can do in terms of max speed and force; just to be safe, but figured doing a big zig zagging is totally safe, while helping me strengthen my legs. This is an example of how I do that:

I also try to do indoor biking daily.

Swimming:  Swimming has been my main workout for a long time. I however had to stop swimming back in early 2020, due to COVID-19 restrictions. I went to swimming for a second time this year, and since the surgery on Dec. 28th:

This video was taken on on that day. It was raining here in LA, which made my swimming experience so special. I don't think the video does justice on how beautiful that evening was, though:

I feel pretty normal in the pool. Can do all the things I used to do with no issues. I could get into the pool and get out of it, without the need of using the stairs; like old times I grabbed the wall and jumped in and also pushed my body out and using my legs to stand up. Felt pretty good. I however am not at my maximum speed yet. I need to work on my upper body. Unfortunately the long duration of no swim, has made my upper body weak.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:53:05 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »

Day 160 Post-op (Tue., Dec. 29) - Consolidation Day 79
Day 161 Post-op (Wed., Dec. 30) - Consolidation Day 80
Day 162 Post-op (Thurs., Dec. 31) - Consolidation Day 81
Day 163 Post-op (Fri., Jan. 1) - Consolidation Day 82
Day 164 Post-op (Sat., Jan. 2) - Consolidation Day 83
Day 165 Post-op (Sun., Jan. 3) - Consolidation Day 84
Day 166 Post-op (Mon., Jan. 4) - Consolidation Day 85
Day 167 Post-op (Tue, Jan. 5) - Consolidation Day 86

The major update is that in the last few days, I have felt like I am already back to normal life in every aspect, including walking and running. For most of the times, I feel pretty normal as I see progress daily on my strength. E.g., while walking, I feel like my legs are even stronger than before the surgery.

I feel like the key to fast recovery is prior physical fitness. Without prior physical fitness it would be hard to imagine a fast recovery (of say 5 or 6 months). However prior physical fitness is not sufficient. It is necessary to follow a carefully designed exercise routine, consistently, until full recovery is observed. Also a rich diet seems to be necessary. I would say for those CLL'ers who were not that fit before the surgery, the recovery may take a few months longer. I should also add that all this based on the assumption that the surgery goes well. If there are issues or complications, recovery may unfortunately take years. Finally I should note that the definition of "normal" is subjective. E.g., for a pro-athlete normal means to be able to compete in Olympics and win a medal. I don't know how long it takes to get to that kinda "normal", cause I am not a pro. My definition of normal is to be back to how I felt about my body before the surgery and being to do all the things I used to do, especially swimming which I am fairly good at.
I hope this information helps the current and future CLL'ers. 

Swimming::   I went to swimming for a third time on Dec. 30th.

This is a short video of my freestyle on that day. The guy on my right was pretty fast. I don't think I could take him on multiple laps, but I felt I had a good chance of beating him on one lap:

The following is a short video of my butterfly on Dec. 30th:

I am not at my max speed yet. I feel like more than my legs, I need to work on my upper body to be able to get back to the speed I was back in early 2020. It typically takes me a couple weeks to get my speed back, if I don't go to swimming for a fairly long time. However I feel like swimming in public pools within a couple feet from others could be very risky. I may therefore have to focus only on running/jogging, walking, biking and stretching and wait for COVID-19 to pass before I start swimming regularly. 

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:32:17 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

limbcllnea

« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »

I feel like the key to fast recovery is prior physical fitness. Without prior physical fitness it would be hard to imagine a fast recovery (of say 5 or 6 months). However prior physical fitness is not sufficient. It is necessary to follow a carefully designed exercise routine, consistently, until full recovery is observed. Also a rich diet seems to be necessary. I would say for those CLL'ers who were not that fit before the surgery, the recovery may take a few months longer.

Beautiful Diary. When you say prior physical fitness, can you specify a little more? Do you mean cardio, muscle mass, or flexibility? Or do you believe that all of them are equally important.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »

Beautiful Diary. When you say prior physical fitness, can you specify a little more? Do you mean cardio, muscle mass, or flexibility? Or do you believe that all of them are equally important.

Hi questpeanut,

There are many online resources which define the physical fitness. I am listing the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_fitness

Flexibility and cardio are definitely part of it, but muscle mass does not need to be crazy. Bruce Lee is an extreme example of physical fitness, who did not have bulky muscles.

Tartar

« Reply #473 on: January 09, 2021, 03:40:08 AM »

Sorry to hear that Tartar! Did you doctor recommend using crutches and use your right leg to move around? just to keep your body mobility at a minimum level to avoid any health complications?  I hope your consolidation phase passes soon successfully.
You are right! I’m waiting hopefully for a quick development. I’m very careful, I could even walk a bit but I want to avoid until there’s a solid bridge in the left too.
At the moment I delight watching to your jogging videos ;D

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2021, 09:18:54 PM »

You are right! I’m waiting hopefully for a quick development. I’m very careful, I could even walk a bit but I want to avoid until there’s a solid bridge in the left too.
At the moment I delight watching to your jogging videos ;D

I assume your diet is also full of protein, calcium, vitamin D, etc. Hope all goes well and you'll be back to walking and running quickly.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2021, 09:52:04 PM »

Day 160 Post-op (Tue., Dec. 29) - Consolidation Day 79
Day 161 Post-op (Wed., Dec. 30) - Consolidation Day 80
Day 162 Post-op (Thurs., Dec. 31) - Consolidation Day 81

Hello All,

I had planned to post updates regularly until my full recovery back to "normal".

My definition of "normal" is to be back to pre-op conditions in every aspects of life, including feeling and looking normal [as we no surgery were done] while walking, running, cycling, swimming, etc., with no feeling of pain, discomfort, and no feeling of the nails. E.g., I was also able to run for 3.3 miles non-stop yesterday, and I felt like I could continue to run for several more miles with no feeling of discomfort, etc.. Also my CRT time (defined CRT on page 15 of my diary) is 0 to a few seconds max.

I believe I got back to "normal" in every aspects in about 5 month after post-op (Day 150+). I have monitored my status since then to make sure the state of being back to normal is permanent with no issues. In fact in some aspects, I am better than normal, thanks to the consistent care and exercise I have had for months.

I therefore stop posting regularly here as I feel my job in reporting every details, is now done. Meanwhile I will still respond to any questions here and post any major updates, but not on a regular basis.

I have added all the information needed, in case anyone were to follow my steps into a fast recovery. In short, it's a combination of 1) good care and support from family and friends, 2) rich diet, 3) consistent daily exercise plan, 4) prior physical fitness and 5) passion to push limits and go beyond what others have been able to achieve.

I'd be curious to know whether anyone else could observe full recovery in 5 months or so. It would be great to find out that my diary helped anyone towards a complete and hopefully fast recovery.

Wish you all the best,
SNC

Tartar

« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2021, 10:22:53 PM »

I assume your diet is also full of protein, calcium, vitamin D, etc. Hope all goes well and you'll be back to walking and running quickly.

Yes I'm taking Calcium and vit D, I've taken for a while proteins too but now I've given up with them, but unfortunately my only period of fast bone growth was for the most between september and october (when I wasn't taking none of them lol), after that it has decreased, maybe due to the stress, maybe due to the cold winter or the more aggressive PT with rubber bands, I don't know. Probably I have just to walk more even if aided to improve callus on the femur axis, has Dr. M talked about this? What I've understood is that unfortunately many things during LL are very individual.
Anyway I think you're already done! I think that for hard runs and contact sports at a good level nails have to be removed.

Longer

« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2021, 10:29:12 PM »

Day 158 Post-op (Sun., Dec. 27 ) - Consolidation Day 77
Day 159 Post-op (Mon., Dec. 28 ) - Consolidation Day 78

Jogging and Walking: I have recently been jogging for a minimum of 1.5 mile (daily) in intervals of 0.1 to 0.5 miles, without pushing it too much. This is because, I'll have an appt. with Dr. M on Jan 12th.  I hope I will have excellent bone consolidation and hardening with no nail bending, or any other complications, therefore have not pushed on jogging.

While jogging, I make sure stay below 30% of what I can do in terms of max speed and force; just to be safe, but figured doing a big zig zagging is totally safe, while helping me strengthen my legs. This is an example of how I do that:

I also try to do indoor biking daily.

Swimming:  Swimming has been my main workout for a long time. I however had to stop swimming back in early 2020, due to COVID-19 restrictions. I went to swimming for a second time this year, and since the surgery on Dec. 28th:

This video was taken on on that day. It was raining here in LA, which made my swimming experience so special. I don't think the video does justice on how beautiful that evening was, though:

I feel pretty normal in the pool. Can do all the things I used to do with no issues. I could get into the pool and get out of it, without the need of using the stairs; like old times I grabbed the wall and jumped in and also pushed my body out and using my legs to stand up. Felt pretty good. I however am not at my maximum speed yet. I need to work on my upper body. Unfortunately the long duration of no swim, has made my upper body weak.

Hi SNC

Your diary is a great motivation for all current and prospect CLLers, thank you. While it's great seeing you recovering at a fast pace I have noticed something in the video where you are jogging and doing zig-zags and I really don't mean to offend you or to make your success smaller than it actually is. From second 40 on to the end of the video your femur looks quite... long. I mean yeah of course you lengthened it 3 inches/8cm so it is longer than before. To put it in other words: Is it only me and my perception (with the knowledge that you had a femur surgery) or do you get comments on your proportions now? What do the other people on the forum here think about this?
Anyway, it's great to see that you are doing so well! Wish you all the best and a great recovery!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2021, 10:38:31 PM »

Probably I have just to walk more even if aided to improve callus on the femur axis, has Dr. M talked about this? What I've understood is that unfortunately many things during LL are very individual.

Dr. M. emphasized walking, various stretching exercises, but also a diet full of calcium and vitamin D.  Although he did not mention the impact of whether or stress, I would not be surprised to know that they indeed play a big role.

I also agree with you that above all, mobility may help with callus growth the most. Hope your left legs recovers and your mobility goes to a 100% very soon.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2021, 10:53:21 PM »

Hi SNC

....I have noticed something in the video where you are jogging and doing zig-zags and I really don't mean to offend you or to make your success smaller than it actually is. From second 40 on to the end of the video your femur looks quite... long. I mean yeah of course you lengthened it 3 inches/8cm so it is longer than before. To put it in other words: Is it only me and my perception (with the knowledge that you had a femur surgery) or do you get comments on your proportions now?

Hi Longer,
I checked seconds 40 and later after seeing your post. You are certainly correct that my femurs look abnormally long in that video. As you noted, it's partly because the femurs are 8cm longer.  However it could partly be specific to that video itself (e.g., the way I dressed especially my pants which look white on femurs down to below knees, also walking on the lawn that kinda hides my shoes, etc.). As an example in the other video I had posted, femurs may not look abnormally tall:

In any case I totally agree with you that my femurs look abnormally tall in the jogging video. I try to post more video with pants that have the same color from top to bottom to get a better perspective of the femur to tibia proportion.

What do the other people on the forum here think about this?

I guess we wait to find out about others here, but about others who see me in real: No one around me has yet suspected or at least hinted me on abnormally long femurs. This includes friends, colleagues, and relatives who do or do not know about my surgery. It could be that they don't care to carefully analyze me; or that the way I dressed did not reveal it like in that video.

Those who commented, say that I look taller and my answer has been that it's probably my shoes. Also some said I look thinner, which I know is not true, cause I am definitely heavier. [By the way I need to mention that my weight in the last few weeks has ranged between 144 and 148 pounds; which is higher than my pre-surgery weight; and given my fat has not increased at all, the extra weight must be due to additional muscle and callus compared to pre-surgery].

This is what I should add: If my tibias were longer to have perfect proportion, of course that could look best; better than my current now. However comparing my current and before the surgery, I am pretty sure my legs look a lot better. I think the reason is that height is so important to eyes (at least my own eyes) that you would enjoy looking at taller legs, even if the proportion is not perfect and eyes tend to not identify a disproportion of 8cm for most of the part.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:21:04 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

sakmadik

• Visitor
« Reply #480 on: January 10, 2021, 01:19:34 AM »

Hi Longer,
I checked seconds 40 and later after seeing your post. You are certainly correct that my femurs look abnormally long in that video. As you noted, it's partly because the femurs are 8cm longer.  However it could partly be specific to that video itself (e.g., the way I dressed especially my pants which look white on femurs down to below knees, also walking on the lawn that kinda hides my shoes, etc.). As an example in the other video I had posted, femurs may not look abnormally tall:

In any case I totally agree with you that my femurs look abnormally tall in the jogging video. I try to post more video with pants that have the same color from top to bottom to get a better perspective of the femur to tibia proportion.

I guess we wait to find out about others here, but about others who see me in real: No one around me has yet suspected or at least hinted me on abnormally long femurs. This includes friends, colleagues, and relatives who do or do not know about my surgery. It could be that they don't care to carefully analyze me; or that the way I dressed did not reveal it like in that video.

Those who commented, say that I look taller and my answer has been that it's probably my shoes. Also some said I look thinner, which I know is not true, cause I am definitely heavier. [By the way I need to mention that my weight in the last few weeks has ranged between 144 and 148 pounds; which is higher than my pre-surgery weight; and given my fat has not increased at all, the extra weight must be due to additional muscle and callus compared to pre-surgery].

This is what I should add: If my tibias were longer to have perfect proportion, of course that could look best; better than my current now. However comparing my current and before the surgery, I am pretty sure my legs look a lot better. I think the reason is that height is so important to eyes (at least my own eyes) that you would enjoy looking at taller legs, even if the proportion is not perfect and eyes tend to not identify a disproportion of 8cm for most of the part.
Hey SNC Did you have that much flexibility before undergoing surgery? Or have you been gaining it through post-surgery rehabilitation? What surprises me the most is having a lot of flexibility in that video after the operation and lengthening 8 cm hahahaha

brokeboy

• Visitor
« Reply #481 on: January 10, 2021, 01:45:12 AM »

Nice recovery SNC! Glad to see you're basically back to normal.  At the end of your distraction phase, around 70-80mm, how was your range of motion on bending your knee, and how is it now? Would be great to see a vid if you can make it in your next one.  I'm currently stuck at maybe 90 degrees at best.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #482 on: January 10, 2021, 03:01:04 AM »

Hey SNC Did you have that much flexibility before undergoing surgery? Or have you been gaining it through post-surgery rehabilitation? What surprises me the most is having a lot of flexibility in that video after the operation and lengthening 8 cm hahahaha

Thanks sakmadik for the kind words.

I had it before the surgery. In teen years I went to gymnastics and then taekwondo. However for two reasons I stopped both: First that I found out I was not exceptionally great in gymnastics or taekwondo. I could probably win a medal in my city or state, but nationally no chance. Also some of my friends got injured and that scared me. After quitting both, I still continued to do stretching to maintain my flexibility.

I lost my flexibility during distraction. I got it back again gradually starting week two into the consolidation phase. I am planning to continue my stretching routine and see if I can get better than my pre-surgery, but so far, I would say I am at the pre-surgery levels.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #483 on: January 10, 2021, 03:06:36 AM »

Nice recovery SNC! Glad to see you're basically back to normal.  At the end of your distraction phase, around 70-80mm, how was your range of motion on bending your knee, and how is it now? Would be great to see a vid if you can make it in your next one.  I'm currently stuck at maybe 90 degrees at best.

Hi brokeboy,

I had a painful distraction phase. Especially due to extreme growth, Dr. M. put me on a two week fast distraction of 1.33 mm per day. That made the process even more painful and degraded my flexibility significantly. If I remember correctly during the fast distraction I could not touch my toes in the forward folding pose. However a couple weeks after the last day of distraction things started to exponentially get better. The major breakthrough happened around month 4.5 post-op that I realized I have a good shot at getting back to normal in a couple months from then. I have been spending hours per day stretching, walking and jogging. Specifically on stretching, I pushed it almost every time. I highly recommend that, of course if your doctor approves it. It would help a lot with recovery.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #484 on: January 10, 2021, 03:37:02 AM »

....I think that for hard runs and contact sports at a good level nails have to be removed.

Hi Tartar,
I would like to add some notes on the following two items related to nails:

1) Is it possible to feel normal while on nails? or is it that no matter how strong and fast your recovery has been, you would not feel a 100% normal until you have removed the nails.

You know I had a painful distraction phase, therefore this journey was certainly not easy for me. I cannot imagine how I would survive the first few weeks post-op and also the whole distraction phase, without painkillers and the rest of the pain management I did.

With that level of pain, and given that everyone, including Dr. M. told me that life cannot be a perfect normal with the nails, I had prepared for a full recovery in about 1.5 years when I'd remove the nails. However during the consolidation phase I realized I might have a chance on a much faster recovery.

I have no medical background, but I used my finance and engineering knowledge to look at the process of recovery as an optimization problem. My goal was to minimize the recovery time to "normal" (with a definition of "normal" that I have posted on this page and before).
There are several hard constraints, e.g., nails should not get bent, and callus should not get fractured. There are some soft constraints, e.g., LDL cholesterol should not rise too high as a result of including a lot of meat in my daily diet; but I am willing to let it rise for a while so I can gain strong muscles and callus.

To not violate the hard constraints, I lowered the intensity of some of the moves such as running, but added to the duration of exercises and kept adding to the duration almost on a daily basis. This was mainly to avoid pushing the nails into bending or callus into fractures. E.g., instead of running very fast, I have done jogging at 30% of max speed I can handle, but I do for long distances and that for today was running for 3.8 miles nonstop but with a low pace, while yesterday at 3.3 miles.

My theory was to make muscles so strong to overpower the nails, to a level my body would not be able to feel the nails at all. Since I experienced extreme callus growth during distraction, I figured I could continue the same diet to hopefully get extreme callus growth during consolidation. Around month 5, I finally started to feel that my legs are strong enough to overpower the nails. No matter what I do (jogging, walking, swimming, sleeping, driving, etc.) my legs feel so strong, as if I just had a one hour swim, and that helps me have no feeling of nails.

I have therefore proven to myself that it is quite possible to get back to a 100% normal before removing the nails and that happened staring Day 150+ post-op.

2) Is it possible to compete while on nails?

Unfortunately I am not a pro athlete who has competed and won medals. But it would be great to see a pro doing something like I did and experience a fast recovery and then see if he or she can compete say by month 6 or so. I understand it seems impossible, because people talk about consolidation and hardening taking months, blah blah, but after seeing item (1) above and proving to myself that things can get back to normal by month 5, I would not be surprised if someone in the future proves that even item (2) is possible.

Finally I would like to remind us all the CLL recovery is not a racing competition. We don't wanna push our bodies to a level that we would create complications and never recover from them. Recovering in 1.5 years is still better than having to deal with complications for the rest of our post CLL life. We therefore better listen to our bodies and adjust the level of intensity and duration of our exercises and also plan for our diet.

It's like a tradeoff. The more we push our bodies, the higher the chances are that we violate the soft and hard constraints, mentioned above. Obviously we should not violate the hard constraints. We should also consider a high cost for violating the soft constraints.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:19:34 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

las vegas baby

« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2021, 05:08:43 PM »

SNC is slowly taking the place of movie as fastest recovery and showin' off.

I LOVE this diary. and  the idea of this as a "challenge" to positively take on.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2021, 09:34:29 PM »

SNC is slowly taking the place of movie as fastest recovery and showin' off.

I LOVE this diary. and  the idea of this as a "challenge" to positively take on.

Thanks las vegas baby :)

Happy New Year!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2021, 09:47:31 PM »

Update:

I just visited Dr. M.'s office for my appointment. All is perfect. I am beyond happy! 

The x-rays look perfect. Dr. M. said 100% bone consolidation and hardening already happened and I can do whatever I want :D   I am thinking of robbing a bank  :P

I had hoped for extreme growth like what I had during distraction and I am so happy that continued for me to full consolidation and hardening around month 5 post-op!  I asked Dr. M. if he sees any issues such as bone fracture or nail bending and he said no, all looks perfect.

Dr. M. had seen some of my videos, so he already knew what I am capable of. He checked my walk and asked me to do a complete squat down to my feet and back up with no use of hands. I showed off a very strong and quick one and he said it just could not get better :)   

He also said I am ready for nail removal in 3 months :D  which means I can have my nails removed 8 months post-op. However, I think I would like to do this something after May 2021 mainly due to my job. Also the fact that I don't feel the nails and they don't bother me at all, motivates me to wait and do that at a perfect time; when my job would not be affected at all.

He also asked me to continue whatever I am doing in terms of exercise and diet until sometime after nail removal (I think he said until 3 months after nail removal, but I am not sure. Will check with him later).

While talking about the videos, I told him that I had also posted them here on this forum. He then asked what my username is and I said StrydeNailChallenge, SNC. He then said I should change my username to StrydeNailIronManChallenge  ;D

Many of you helped me through this journey. I had some painful times during the distraction phase and your advice and notes here worked for me. Thanks very much for all the help and motivation. I hope my diary would be looked at as a way of returning the favor.

StrydeNailIronManChallenge [Crowned by Dr. M. himself]  :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:55:57 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Tokito_Ohma

« Reply #488 on: January 13, 2021, 04:27:18 AM »

wow, just wow! I'm sure this will be considered the gold standard of LL recovery on this forum, 8cm femur Stryde with max recovery in 5 months post op! I will definitely be referring extensively to this forum when I myself undergo Stryde femurs LL later this year!
Key takeaways I got so far:
  • Consistent pain management during distraction
  • Consistent stretching AND walking AND jogging during distraction/ consolidation FOR HOURS everyday without fail(the difference between you and Movie I believe as Movie never placed as much emphasis on stretching as he did walking/ jogging according to his diary.
    • Consistent high protein diet throughout, even at the risk of high cholesterol, for the sake of recovery and bone consolidation
    • consistency in all these factors daily, without fail! Consistency is key!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #489 on: January 13, 2021, 08:07:36 AM »

wow, just wow! I'm sure this will be considered the gold standard of LL recovery on this forum, 8cm femur Stryde with max recovery in 5 months post op! I will definitely be referring extensively to this forum when I myself undergo Stryde femurs LL later this year!
Key takeaways I got so far:
  • Consistent pain management during distraction
  • Consistent stretching AND walking AND jogging during distraction/ consolidation FOR HOURS everyday without fail(the difference between you and Movie I believe as Movie never placed as much emphasis on stretching as he did walking/ jogging according to his diary.
    • Consistent high protein diet throughout, even at the risk of high cholesterol, for the sake of recovery and bone consolidation
    • consistency in all these factors daily, without fail! Consistency is key!

Hi Tokito_Ohma,

I agree with you that consistency on the whole process, including never missing on the daily hours of exercise (stretching, walking, etc.) is key. Also I somehow had extremely fast callus growth. It is most likely the result of the good diet I have had. I think without the extremely fast growth recovery to "normal" would go beyond a year.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #490 on: January 16, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »

awesome! i would need to follow your diary. 8cm with consolidation in 7 months.wow!!
could you please post your xrays(blurring out sensitive info) if you dont mind.
tibias: april 2018 to july 2019 under dr pili/catagni- HEF.
femurs: feb 2021 and sep 2021 dr halil-precise 2
159-181.
came. lengthened. moving on.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #491 on: January 16, 2021, 08:37:11 PM »

awesome! i would need to follow your diary. 8cm with consolidation in 7 months.wow!!
could you please post your xrays(blurring out sensitive info) if you dont mind.

Hi fivetenneeded2016,
Consolidation in month 5; cause today, I am at the end of month 5, and full consolidation must have happened a few weeks ago.

Sure, I'll post them. Dr. M.'s office gave me a CD this time (on Jan. 12th). I'll post them as soon as I find a PC with a CD player.
I have also already posted the distraction time x-rays.
I had also posted the info on two more x-rays, one pre-op to measure the left & right height discrepancy and another, at end of distraction, to double check that there was not femur height difference.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:38:24 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

montahn

« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »

Hi fivetenneeded2016,
Consolidation in month 5; cause today, I am at the end of month 5, and full consolidation must have happened a few weeks ago.

Sure, I'll post them. Dr. M.'s office gave me a CD this time (on Jan. 12th). I'll post them as soon as I find a PC with a CD player.
I have also already posted the distraction time x-rays.
I had also posted the info on two more x-rays, one pre-op to measure the left & right height discrepancy and another, at end of distraction, to double check that there was not femur height difference.

did other people notice your height change ? did you fell any posture change while walking ? how much you gain height ?
162cm  goal 177cm
Morning height: 164cm Afternoon/Night: 163cm

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #493 on: January 31, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »

did other people notice your height change ?

Hello montahn, sorry about the delay.   

Since my surgery happened during the covid-19 stay-at-home times, and also thanks to my fast recovery in months 5 post-op, I've got to meet only a few colleagues, friends and family members, in person, while I did not look normal! 

Some close family members and friends knew about my surgery from the beginning. For the rest, If they notice that I look taller, I pretend it's the shoes, or that I got thinner. In any case, I don't mind telling people about my CLL if needed. 

did you fell any posture change while walking ?  ?

During distraction I walked like a robot or penguin :D That improved starting a couple weeks into consolidation.

I believe my posture has improved compared to before the surgery for two reasons: 1) I had a bit of femur height discrepancy (left femur a bit shorter than right) which was mostly fixed by lengthening the left a bit more than right.. 2) I have been consistently exercising and stretching; the keyword is "consistency". I've always been very active and athletic, but before the surgery, I was not consistent.

[/color]

how much you gain height ?

8cm.

Vibes

« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2021, 02:27:09 AM »

Wow I am very surprised that people do not "dig into" it more when they notice that you are taller.

Do you think they would notice if you also did tibias and gained 4-5cm more? (I know this is not your desire, but for example if you did want to)

LuMu

• Visitor
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2021, 03:51:19 AM »

Hi SNC,

How are you feeling these days? It's been so many days that you haven't posted a video update, are you still doing your daily routine exercise? Have you tried anything new?

Hope you are feeling well :)

LuMu
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up