Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Another 8cm femurs (hopefully) with Dr Paley Sep 2020!!  (Read 14457 times)

BelowTheMean

Re: Another 8cm femurs (hopefully) with Dr Paley Sep 2020!!
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 12:50:16 AM »

Oct 16, day 31: I woke up with bad knee pain (left knee). It hurt when I bent it. PT taped my knee to help support it. The pain was gone in the afternoon, but I will still leave the tape on until the skin becomes itchy.

Oct 17, day 32: I can’t believe one month has passed... I finally stopped taking any pain meds today!

Wow no pain meds at all? Or just no prescribed pain meds/opioids?
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

SuchLL

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »

Wow no pain meds at all? Or just no prescribed pain meds/opioids?

Ya no pain meds at all!

Stryde2021

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »

SuchLL can you give us an update on your walking/mobility?

c

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »

好的 祝福你

small

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »

Hey SuchLL, glad to see your off the meds!

I'm a soon to be SW engineer as well and was wondering if the 3 months you took off work were important or can I continue to wfh while doing LL?

SuchLL

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »

SuchLL can you give us an update on your walking/mobility?

I walk with a cane. I can also walk without any support but it’s not recommended.

SuchLL

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »

Hey SuchLL, glad to see your off the meds!

I'm a soon to be SW engineer as well and was wondering if the 3 months you took off work were important or can I continue to wfh while doing LL?

I see several people wfh after 3 weeks so I’m sure you can do it, but I think it’s best to just take 3 months off if you can. Working will make the whole process harder.

SuchLL

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2020, 11:43:24 PM »

Oct 21, day 36: I started to feel a little numbness in some areas of my left lower leg. Numbness is one of the symptoms of nerve damage... I probably need to ask for meds for it.

Oct 23, day 38: I had my second x-ray today. Everything looked great. I mentioned the numbness to the doctor. Today I also started to feel pins and needles in my left lower leg when I kept left leg straight. The doctor sent me gabapentin and suggested slow down the lengthening. He said I could keep 1 mm a day, but he had one patient who still had numbness in his lower leg two years after lengthening. Since I’m only at 3.1 cm, I don’t want to slow down to make the whole process longer. I’ll keep 1 mm a day and consider slowing down if the nerve pain gets worse.

Nov 6, day 52: The nerve pain didn’t get worse or better in the last two weeks. I’m not sure if gabapentin works for me, but I didn’t slow down since the nerve pain didn’t get worse and it’s tolerable. Today I had my third x-ray and it looked great. During the appointment I mentioned that I can’t keep my back straight when my legs stay close. The doctor said it’s called duckass... I had duckass since the first day after the surgery. I didn’t know it’s called duckass. I’m not sure if my duckass is getting worse during lengthening but it’s not getting better. I asked the doctor what caused the duckass and he said it’s because my TFL is tight... The funny thing is... I mentioned the duckass problem to my PTs several times during the lengthening process and none of them gave me the correct answer. Some said my hamstrings were tight, some said my IT bands were tight, and some just couldn’t explain it after seeing me so flexible. I can still do 90+ degree hamstring stretch that some PTs can’t even do. My IT bands were not bad either since I couldn’t feel good stretch on my IT band. Today it’s my first time hearing TFL... I know it’s probably weird to see people who are flexible everywhere except TFL, but I’m still disappointed by the Paley PT team. I had appointments with at least 7-8 different PTs from his team, and none of them found that my TFL was tight even after I told them about my duckass... The doctor suggested slow down lengthening at the end of the appointment again. He thinks I won’t hit 8cm based on what he saw today (nerve pain and really tight TFL). I was angry but too tired to say anything. I paid for PT, I had duckass since the first day after the surgery, I let several PTs know about my duckass, and none of them found my tight TFL. My very flexible hamstrings, quads, hip flexors were kept getting stretched, and my really tight TFL was never stretched. Then I was told that I wouldn’t hit 8 cm.

Nov 9, day 55: I felt my duckass was already improved by 50% after stretching my TFL just for 3 days!! My butt and TFL feel tight when I fight duckass, but I’m able to keep my back much more straight! I feel my TFL was probably “dead” and it’s activated now. Besides TFL everything else is still super flexible. The nerve pain is almost gone too. I still have numbness but the area is getting smaller. I will finally hit 5 cm tomorrow wow
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:51:28 AM by SuchLL »

init1alove

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2020, 03:03:36 AM »

Glad to hear that you are feeling better after stretching TFL. I just googled about TFL. I did not know TFL before reading your post. Thanks for sharing this with us.

If I understand correctly, TFL is the muscle connect to IT band and pelvis. Paley will do IT band release for all femur patients. But its is wired that none of PTs stretch muscles in this area for you.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2020, 04:59:10 AM »

I just Googled how to stretch the TFL muscle as well. After watching a Youtube video on it, I still don't know how. I guess I'll have to ask my PT once the time comes. Thanks for informing us of this issue, learned something new today!
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

SuchLL

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2020, 05:37:06 AM »

I just Googled how to stretch the TFL muscle as well. After watching a Youtube video on it, I still don't know how. I guess I'll have to ask my PT once the time comes. Thanks for informing us of this issue, learned something new today!

Many of the videos are not doable when you have broken legs.
Here’s the easiest one I found (It’s easier than what I learned from my PTs):
https://m.

missyoulikecrazy

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 02:01:54 AM »

Hey how are you doing? :0

DreamerLL

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 05:56:44 AM »

Please update

SuchLL

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »

Nov 20, day 66: I hit 6 cm today! I just had fourth x-ray and it looked excellent. Last time I mentioned that my duckass improved a lot after stretching TFL for just 3 days. I’m still doing the stretches and my duckass is slowly improving. Now I walk better (legs closer) than 2 weeks ago. I’m taking hot bath with epsom salt before each round of stretches and lengthening to help relax my muscle (I started to do it a month ago but forgot to mentioned it... It’s recommended by one of my PT). I’m still flexible besides my TFL. Actually my right hamstring is becoming even more flexible.... but my quads are getting a little tighter. It’s probably because I only stretch quads 2 times a day, but hamstrings 4 times a day. Overall I’m feeling great. I sleep well at night. Playing switch games, watching TV shows with my mom everyday. I want to get PS5 but it’s out of stock everywhere...

DreamerLL

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2020, 01:24:42 AM »

Do you have any pain or numbness? So you took baths 4 times a day?

SuchLL

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2020, 01:39:12 AM »

Do you have any pain or numbness? So you took baths 4 times a day?

I don’t have any pain but I still have numbness on my left lower leg.
I don’t take bath before PT session so 3 baths a day. My PT is usually in the morning and I feel too lazy to take bath lol

angry

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2020, 08:09:37 AM »

hi SuchLL

6cm is a real achievement! that's actually my final goal :P I hope you are able to reach your full goal after spending all this time and money.

do you see many cosmetic patients at Paley Institute doing this completely alone without any family members? how many of them do you see on average?

overall do you think you could have done this all alone?

do you find paley and team to be helpful above and beyond the call of duty? I know absolutely no one in Florida. I would rely completely on their team for any health matter.

I am similar to you, a software engineer living in the bay area and not from US. We have full wfh now dude to covid.

I have also sent you a pm about something else, please check.

SuchLL

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »

hi SuchLL

6cm is a real achievement! that's actually my final goal :P I hope you are able to reach your full goal after spending all this time and money.

do you see many cosmetic patients at Paley Institute doing this completely alone without any family members? how many of them do you see on average?

overall do you think you could have done this all alone?

do you find paley and team to be helpful above and beyond the call of duty? I know absolutely no one in Florida. I would rely completely on their team for any health matter.

I am similar to you, a software engineer living in the bay area and not from US. We have full wfh now dude to covid.

I have also sent you a pm about something else, please check.

Almost all Chinese I’ve seen here did this alone. They just hired caregiver for a short period of time when they can’t move well after the surgery.

The Paley team responds fast to their patients’ concerns and issues, but I would stay at one of their recommended hotels during the entire lengthening process if I do it alone. They have free shuttles taking you to the Paley institute, which is super convenient when you’re by yourself. You can just come to the institute when you have any concerns

angry

• Visitor
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »

Almost all Chinese I’ve seen here did this alone. They just hired caregiver for a short period of time when they can’t move well after the surgery.

The Paley team responds fast to their patients’ concerns and issues, but I would stay at one of their recommended hotels during the entire lengthening process if I do it alone. They have free shuttles taking you to the Paley institute, which is super convenient when you’re by yourself. You can just come to the institute when you have any concerns

so in general, they are not the "we got your money, now we don't care much about you" type right?

Angelique seems to be nice over email and phone. I believe she will be my go to person for any difficulties I face?

another thing, do you feel like Paley or Robbins give you enough time during consultations?

SuchLL

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »

so in general, they are not the "we got your money, now we don't care much about you" type right?

Angelique seems to be nice over email and phone. I believe she will be my go to person for any difficulties I face?

another thing, do you feel like Paley or Robbins give you enough time during consultations?

They are very careful and responsible and that’s why they require their LL patients to stay around Paley institute during the entire lengthening process.

Your PTs and front desk at Paley institute will help you with your issues and concerns. For example, if you have knee pain, you can let your PT know during the session. They will help you contact the doctors if they think it’s a problem. Front desk can help you contact the doctors too. My concerns were always addressed on the same day.

I think I have enough time to ask questions during the consultation. Most of my questions were were already answered by Angelique before the consultation

BelowTheMean

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »

Congrats on 6cm, SuchLL! Looks like you're almost done with the distraction phase.

angry

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2020, 07:09:49 PM »

They are very careful and responsible and that’s why they require their LL patients to stay around Paley institute during the entire lengthening process.

Your PTs and front desk at Paley institute will help you with your issues and concerns. For example, if you have knee pain, you can let your PT know during the session. They will help you contact the doctors if they think it’s a problem. Front desk can help you contact the doctors too. My concerns were always addressed on the same day.

I think I have enough time to ask questions during the consultation. Most of my questions were were already answered by Angelique before the consultation

Nice.

About consultation, I meant during follow up visits, sorry :) like that thing about duck ass don't you think Paley / Robbins could've told you about it the previous week itself?

and is Paley institute equipped to handle other medical needs? Imagine someone like me who'd be alone and wants to suddenly get a covid test for example. No car. no one to drive me anywhere. or I get sick with something and need to fill my prescriptions. can we rely on paley institute for all of these things (I'd understand and expect them to charge for any of these though)

SuchLL

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 08:32:26 PM »

Nice.

About consultation, I meant during follow up visits, sorry :) like that thing about duck ass don't you think Paley / Robbins could've told you about it the previous week itself?

and is Paley institute equipped to handle other medical needs? Imagine someone like me who'd be alone and wants to suddenly get a covid test for example. No car. no one to drive me anywhere. or I get sick with something and need to fill my prescriptions. can we rely on paley institute for all of these things (I'd understand and expect them to charge for any of these though)

About duckass. I never mentioned it to the doctors during the prev 2 follow ups since I thought PTs were supposed to know what they need to do.

If you have any medical emergency, Paley institute is next to the hospital where you can also get covid test. I don’t think Paley institute can help you get your prescriptions but you can probably ask Angelique? They may be able to help you hire caregivers if you need any help.

SuchLL

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 10:55:22 PM »

Dec 4, day 80: I hit 7.4 cm today! X-ray still looks good. My left quad and hip flexor are tighter. Right hip area is tight (unfortunately PT told me that there aren’t many ways to stretch hip, but good news is I only have one week left!) I walk slower because of my right hip. Most of my body weight is on my left leg so my left leg gets tired easily. I have no pain so I still sleep well at night.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 12:20:26 AM »

Dec 4, day 80: I hit 7.4 cm today! X-ray still looks good. My left quad and hip flexor are tighter. Right hip area is tight (unfortunately PT told me that there aren’t many ways to stretch hip, but good news is I only have one week left!) I walk slower because of my right hip. Most of my body weight is on my left leg so my left leg gets tired easily. I have no pain so I still sleep well at night.

Glad to hear you still have no pain. I'm taking a lot less pain medicine now, but I still need a bit. Only a week left and you'll be done with distraction, so close you can taste it!

small

• Visitor
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »

Congrats man! I'm excited to see how the surgery will impact your life, especially because we are the same starting height, keep us posted!

init1alove

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »

Congras! Glad to hear you will reach your goal soon.

184dream

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »

could you please share your physical therapy routine

SuchLL

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »

could you please share your physical therapy routine

If you want to be prepared for the lengthening, you’ll find better videos than what I’m doing by googling how to stretch hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, hip adductors, and calfs, because there’re more ways to stretch good legs. It’s also nice to work on strengthening gluteus maximus and gluteus medius because they are important for walking.

https://m.
This video almost covers all the exercises and stretches I’m doing now. They are not the best in my opinions but are probably the best you can do with broken legs lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:52:42 PM by SuchLL »

SuchLL

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »

Congrats man! I'm excited to see how the surgery will impact your life, especially because we are the same starting height, keep us posted!

Thanks! I hope I will be happy with my new height so I won’t need tibia lengthening lol

SuchLL

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »

Glad to hear you still have no pain. I'm taking a lot less pain medicine now, but I still need a bit. Only a week left and you'll be done with distraction, so close you can taste it!

Also glad that you need less pain meds!
Thinking about going back to work after 3 month off actually makes me feel a little sick lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up