Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: BelowTheMean – Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Debiparshad – Nov 2020  (Read 6533 times)

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

Re: BelowTheMean – Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Debiparshad – Nov 2020
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »

one of the better diaries. i wish leg lengthening would not take so much fkin time coz it fks u over careerwise

itseasy

• Visitor
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »

BTM, I know the nerve pains and slowing down are hitting you hard, but I want you to know that time flys. Just look how fast 2020 went by, even with covid. The extra days added will be ok, don’t worry too much about a secure deadline. Just take it nice and easy and you’ll soon look back and be talking about how you’ve been through it and you don’t regret it.

Now I I would ask Dr D for gabapentin, it really does remove the shooting nerve pains. Numbness may be there, but that will resolve as well. Just give it time. Also, If you are taking the Valium or Oxy, I remember that at times it made me feel depressed at times and every little thing like the constant dull pains or uncomfort drove me nuts and I would get all sad.

Get the gabapentin, you’ll be happy to rid those nerve pains. I like your long detailed reads, it’s nice and enjoyable to see how it’s going.

LegSGo!

• Visitor
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2021, 06:11:50 PM »

@itseasy,

Would you please provide your stats and date you had the procedure? Just a little more information on your experience with LL? Thanks!
Starting Height: 170 cm
Goal Height: 178 cm
Procedure: Stryde Femur (11/20/2020)
Doctor: Dr. Kevin Debiparshad

BelowTheMean

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:12 AM »

Stay strong man, it's a very tough journey but will be worth it in the end. I'll be praying that you reach your goal. Thanks a lot for actually explaining your situation rather than just vanishing which would've left us all wondering what happened. I'm sure it's tough documenting every step of the process on this forum along with balancing everything else going on in life. Especially since your journal is very detailed. If you do decide to come back you can always provide quick updates instead of long detailed posts since I'm sure they can take a lot of time and effort. Quick updates would still be very helpful. Good luck on the rest of this journey and work as well!
Thanks for the support. I'm feeling a lot better now and will resume updating my journal.

BTM - Thanks for the note.  Many who have chosen this path have described the roller coaster of ups and downs.  It will all be worth it in the end. It’s a marathon and this is just another hill. Take a break; climb that next hill but don’t forget to come back and tell us all you conquered that hill after you’ve done it. Stay strong my brotha; I and others are rooting for you!! And will continue to do so...
I passed the last hill and I'm back!

Really appreciate the journaling you’ve done. I can totally relate to how you’re feeling. I’m dealing with nerve issues as well, and it’s really draining both physically and mentally. I hope you’ll be able to hit your goal and have a good recovery, BTM. Stay strong.
Hi Froggy, how are you doing now? Has your nerve pain gotten more manageable?

one of the better diaries. i wish leg lengthening would not take so much fkin time coz it fks u over careerwise
I agree that it takes a ridiculous amount of time, especially now that I'm going at 0.5 mm/day. At least during COVID I'm working from home every day and there is no impact on my career.

BTM, I know the nerve pains and slowing down are hitting you hard, but I want you to know that time flys. Just look how fast 2020 went by, even with covid. The extra days added will be ok, don’t worry too much about a secure deadline. Just take it nice and easy and you’ll soon look back and be talking about how you’ve been through it and you don’t regret it.

Now I I would ask Dr D for gabapentin, it really does remove the shooting nerve pains. Numbness may be there, but that will resolve as well. Just give it time. Also, If you are taking the Valium or Oxy, I remember that at times it made me feel depressed at times and every little thing like the constant dull pains or uncomfort drove me nuts and I would get all sad.

Get the gabapentin, you’ll be happy to rid those nerve pains. I like your long detailed reads, it’s nice and enjoyable to see how it’s going.
Thanks for the tips! The only opioid I take is Norco, and I average only 3-4 a week for PT/gym, so it shouldn't be affecting my mood. Gabapentin has been working, but I'm starting to build a tolerance to it. Fortunately, my nerve pain has mostly subsided so I don't really need it right now. The thought of lengthening for two more months is the toughest part right now, but I suppose it'll soon pass.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
169cm -> 177cm (goal)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Distraction Phase

L8GrowthSpurt

• Visitor
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 02:47:46 AM »

BTM - welcome back!! Good to hear things are looking better. You got this, bruh. Finish that nail and keep us posted 😁.  Stay strong, brutha 💪

BelowTheMean

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 03:08:01 AM »

Surgery Day +49, Lengthening Day 46 (+0.66mm, 43.60mm total)

I slept almost exactly 8 hours, with 90 min of deep sleep which is not bad. Morning pain of 1-3/10 plus stiffness and nerve pain in my left shin. Was able to stretch lightly and lengthen before work. At PT I rode 1.57 miles on the bike in 10 min at resistance level 4. I did 57.5 lbs on the leg press machine 30x. I bought some Tylenol and Ibuprofen after PT since I ran out of OTC painkillers, but I’ll only take Ibuprofen if the doctor wants me to (to slow bone growth as a NSAID.) I lengthened again right before going to sleep and it triggered my left shin nerve pain :( With nerve pain in my left shin all day, it was hard to focus and I’m contemplating if I want to take Gabapentin.

Surgery Day +50, Lengthening Day 47 (+0.66mm, 44.26mm total)

I had nerve pain all night and struggled to sleep so I think I really need to take Gabapentin. Hopefully I won’t have any of the scary side effects. My left shin nerve pain continued into the morning and I had very low energy today. I slept for just under 8 hours with 30 minutes of deep sleep. The first lengthening in the morning did not trigger any nerve pain. I got a massage today. It was very painful because the masseuse found that the trigger point for my left shin nerve pain somewhere in my hamstring and kept trying to loosen it or something. I actually felt pretty good after the massage though, with reduced triggering of nerve pain for the rest of the day. During my second lengthening of the day I felt a weird feeling in my left shin nerve, though I wouldn’t call it pain.

Surgery Day +51, Lengthening Day 48 (+0.66mm, 44.92mm total)

I didn’t take an edible or painkillers last night and only got 5.8 hours of sleep out of the 7.8 hours in bed, but at least I got over 1.5 hours of deep sleep. I woke up with 2/10 pain and pretty low energy. Nerve pain wasn’t too bad in the morning. I probably still need to take some type of sleep aid. Overall I’m pretty low energy, but my motivation level was okay so I got it my first lengthening done. At PT I rode 1.43 miles on the bike at resistance level 4.5 and did 65 lbs 30 times on the leg press. I filled my Gabapentin script after PT today. It was only $12 amazingly. I will start taking it tomorrow morning. I got a one hour nap in during the late afternoon. I found out there are apparently nerve stretches that I can do, so I will try to do some for the femoral nerve later. Up through the second lengthening I didn’t have much nerve pain today. I took CBD late at night, then raced to finish dinner and my second lengthening before it kicked in.

Surgery Day +52, Lengthening Day 49 (+0.66mm, 45.58mm total)

I got 6.6 hours of sleep out of 7.3 hours in bed with 47 minutes of deep sleep. This was my first weekday without having to go outside in a while. I didn’t have any reason to leave the house today except to take out the trash. I didn’t stretch too hard before the first lengthening since I was distracted, but lengthening didn’t trigger any nerve pain. Gabapentin seems pretty effective so far, it gets rid of most of the nerve pain, though I still feel numbness or other tingling sensations where there was pain before, so the nerve might still be feeling something. I’m not sure if there are side effects but I don’t feel any yet. I spent most of the day working so I didn’t have a chance to do a mid-day stretch. Tomorrow will be even busier, and I’ll need to go out twice during work hours. I lengthened again right before bed. I had low energy, but managed to get through all the stretches, though I did one fewer set of each than normal. I took no sleep aid before bed, but I need to take Gabapentin before sleeping so maybe that will help a little.

Surgery Day +53, Lengthening Day 50 (+0.66mm, 46.24mm total)

I slept for 6.2 hours out of 7.2 hours in bed and got nearly 80 min of deep sleep. This was better than the previous night actually. In the shower this morning I noticed that my swelling had gone down. I really like the look of my long thighs right now. I always thought they were short and stubby before, but now they look great. Even though I haven’t noticed myself getting taller, I’ve definitely noticed my thighs getting longer. I’m not sure what another 3.4cm will do to the appearance and hopefully it won’t look too long. At PT I biked for 1.54 miles at resistance level 5 and maintained a 120W output for the last two minutes, so I think I’m definitely getting stronger in the legs. My leg press went up to 70 pounds for both legs 30 times and I also did 50 pounds on each leg 30 times. I lengthened right after PT when I was fully warmed up, so no problems there at all. I was super busy at work and forgot to eat until dinnertime.

I got an exam at the massage place, which is actually a chiropractic facility. They told me that they could bill massages to my insurance after this. Unfortunately their schedule is ridiculously packed so I can’t even get another massage until two weeks from my first one. I got a bill from my physical therapy center in the mail and it looks like my sessions cost up to $176, which is absolutely ridiculous. It’s more than three times as much as they told me it would cost or the cost of my Vegas PT. After doing some research on the internet it looks like it’s possible that my insurer treated the claim as out of network, which wouldn’t make sense, so I’m trying to get that rectified. I lengthened very late, but I had a medium energy level so I got my stretches done beforehand. My left leg had nerve pain most of the time I was trying to do my pre-lengthening stretches. It was greatly dampened by the Gabapentin, but I could still feel a lot of action in those nerves.

Surgery Day +54, Lengthening Day 51 (+0.66mm, 46.90mm total)

This morning the Gabapentin wasn’t working for a brief period. I was suffering for a bit, and my usual “fix the nerve pain” stretch position wasn’t working for me either. I found that if I lay on my side it would help a bit, though that causes pain in my legs from the screws and nails themselves, but that type of pain hurts way less than the nerve pain. I actually slept in for the first time since surgery today. I got up to take my medicine at 8am and then went back to sleep fighting through the nerve pain. I was able to sleep for quite a while. I woke up with full bars of sleep in my tracker app for the first time ever since I was in bed for so long.

My first lengthening was pretty late today and it has been hard to force myself to stretch with such low energy and motivation. I found out that the PT bill is legitimate and my insurance company must just have a really bad contract with them and they are billing me a ton even after the insurance discount. I may have to switch PTs, but given that I’m going to hit my deductible pretty early this year I actually need to do some math to see if it’s worth it to change. Now that I think about it, no wonder my PT wanted to put me on 3 days a week instead of 5 days a week because she was concerned my insurance company might limit the number of visits covered. I do like my therapist, the facility, and the PT routine that I’m doing right now, it’s just not worth $150+ per session.

Other than that I think my mood was a little better today since it’s the weekend but unfortunately I have to work most of this weekend. I at least have less stress and pressure to get lengthening sessions completed at a certain time of the day during the weekend, but I can’t delay it by too much. I can also watch some NFL playoff games while I’m working which makes it feel less like work. I did my second lengthening pretty late as well today and went to sleep after.

Surgery Day +55, Lengthening Day 52 (+0.66mm, 47.56mm total)

I woke up with continuous nerve pain today. I tried to sleep in again, but I couldn’t since my nerve pain kept triggering randomly. Every time it hit me it would be 5-7/10 pain and I would have to immediately do a quad stretch to alleviate some of the pain. Even though I took Gabapentin at 8am, for the next three hours I kept feeling nerve pain. When I got up I had been in bed for just over 8 hours, but I barely got 5 hours of sleep. I will ask the doctor why I’m having nerve pain again even though I’ve continually been taking gabapentin.

I planned to order some delicious takeout today to improve my mood. I would have to work most of today and I need to have better focus than yesterday so I would be able to watch any NFL games while I’m working today. I am also planning to skip my usual weekend gym session, even though it’s been a week since I rode the Peloton and I want to do a ride to get an estimate of my improvement in leg power. However, I don’t have a lot of energy today so I want to save it for stretching and lengthening. Sitting in bed all day working wasn’t great for my legs. I tried to get up a couple of times to walk around and do stuff, but I could only exercise and stretch a little. I wanted to pick up my takeout order but ended up getting it delivered to save some time, which was the only time I even got close to going outside today.

I actually ended up working until the middle of the night. I was a bit sleepy right after midnight, but I took a break to stretch and lengthen and then pushed through. By the time I finished my work to the point of satisfaction I wasn’t as sleepy anymore. However, when I lay down and closed my eyes I fell asleep fairly quickly.

Surgery Day +56, Lengthening Day 53 (+0.00mm, 47.56mm total)

According to my sleep data I slept for 3.6 hours out of 3.6 hours in bed and got over an hour of deep sleep. I’m quite behind on sleep now due to the last two days. I’m going to have to try and sleep earlier and/or take a nap and hopefully I can figure out how to manage the pain so I can sleep more. I think that I am able to sleep better if I’m tired, so hopefully that’s the case tonight. I planned to do a lengthening before PT today. I definitely feel a lot of stress right now. My nerve pain is only semi-manageable by Gabapentin, I have tons of work to do, and I’m really lacking sleep. I have no energy or motivation to lengthen and any lengthening sessions I do only happen because I force myself to do it through the last bit of willpower I have. There are many personal things I need to get done outside of work as well and I’ve just been ignoring all of it because I have no energy to deal with it right now.

I guess I can try and look at the bright side. I’ve somehow been lengthening on schedule through all of the nerve pain and overall I have been doing a little bit better with stretching, and somehow I’ve managed to stay somewhat caught up at work. It’s really a lot for me to handle though. While I’m living alone and I can’t compare to other lengtheners who might have family around, I’m not sure having other people around would actually make things any easier for me. Having a dog around sure would though, but I definitely can’t take care of one in my current state, as great of a stress mitigator as one might be.

I reached out to Dr. D’s team about the continuous nerve pain even with Gabapentin and they said that I needed to take a break from lengthening until my next office visit. They do not want me to increase my dosage of Gabapentin. That’s three full days of not lengthening! I asked about premature consolidation and they said it was very unlikely for me. I asked if I could take some Ibuprofen to help stop bone growth and they said sure. I don’t know if Ibuprofen will actually do anything, but it makes me feel a little more in control of the whole situation. I guess I’m about to find out if resting my legs is going to help my nerve pain or not, and if not lengthening for three days is going to cause premature consolidation. It’s probably not great for my 8cm prospects if I have to take such a big break at this point in the process and it’s probably going to extend my distraction phase into March, but if my leg feels better and I can lengthen at a reasonable speed of 0.66mm/day afterwards until I finish out the nails then I can certainly live with it. I am also supposed to stretch a lot more these next few days, so I will try and see if that helps as well.

I was planning to talk to the PT today about their ridiculous prices today. I picked a national PT chain with a decent brand name and really good reviews so I’m surprised that their business practices are this bad, though I’m not actually sure what my PT can actually do about billing since it seems pretty hands off for them. I did the math with my insurance benefits and switching PTs at this point won’t actually save me that much money, especially since I’m slowing down on lengthening and there will be a lot of additional things hitting my deductible. Of course I won’t tell them this; I want to voice my dissatisfaction with their prices and business practices. However, when I got to PT I just didn’t have the heart to confront any of them since they are so nice to me. I guess I’ll just have to complain to the person on the phone in the billing department again when I call their customer support number next time. I’m sure if I complain enough I can get a discount.

Anyway, I rode the bike for just 5 minutes and then walked on the treadmill for about 6 or 7 minutes while trying to reduce my hip sway. I found that bending my left knee helped a bit with that. I think I’ll try and record a gait and stairs video in a few days. I think I’m getting pretty good at doing step ups and step downs at PT, and the PTs keep saying my gait is improving, so maybe it is? Aside from my nerve pain, everything else seems to be going decently well. On the leg press I went up to 77.5 lbs on both legs 30 times and 57.5 lbs on each individual leg 30 times.

After I got home I worked until ridiculously late in the evening again and when I finally got off work and I wanted to take a nap, I wasn’t tired enough. I didn’t even end up sleeping that early, but what can you do about it? If you’re not tired it’s just not easy to sleep.

Surgery Day +57, Lengthening Day 54 (+0.00mm, 47.56mm total)

Today is my second day of no lengthening. After 24 hours free from the ERC, my left leg still has nerve pain unfortunately. It’s mostly manageable with Gabapentin, but if it went away I would feel a lot better about this break from lengthening since it would have proven to be effective. I got 7 hours of sleep last night and I was in bed for barely more than that, and I got a lot of deep sleep so overall sleep was not terrible, though far from “catching up” on sleep since my app says I’m behind. I didn’t have any morning meetings today so I wanted to go back to sleep for a bit after eating my morning pills, but I was too awake already and even though I was tired I wasn’t able to fall back asleep. My stomach was growling a bit so I got up to make breakfast.

I was pretty busy with lots of work today. Unfortunately that meant I wasn’t able to exercise my legs or stretch as much as I wanted to. I tried to get up a lot and walk around without my cane, but it’s not the same as actively exercising and going to PT. I had a lot of random nerve pain today as well. It seems like stopping lengthening hasn’t helped with nerve pain after 36 hours. I do feel like stretching is helping a little with the nerve pain though, so maybe I really do just need to stretch more. I wish the nerve pain would just go away.

Surgery Day +58, Lengthening Day 55 (+0.00mm, 47.56mm total)

Last night’s sleep was bad. I had constant nerve pain at night easily 4-6/10 coming and going with no trigger. I literally had to get up and stretch for a few minutes every hour or two and then try and go back to sleep. I somehow got 5.5 hours of sleep out of 6.75 hours in bed and 45 min of deep sleep. I think I will have a chance to catch up on sleep over the next few days though. Work is finally a bit lighter, which is nice. I think my left shin was a little less numb than normal this morning, which is the first sign of improvement I’ve had on the left side with any nerve related issues.

Today should be my last day of no lengthening. I’m seeing Dr. D tomorrow so fingers crossed for good news! I’m flying out to Vegas and I booked a cheap ticket, so no extra leg space. Honestly last time sitting in the front row only helped a bit, but I still couldn’t stretch my legs out all the way since there was a wall in front of me. I got aisle seats both ways this time, and I think it should help a bit since I can just turn sideways or step into the aisle if I need to stretch out. I don’t plan on getting wheelchair service since I think I need extra walking and exercise right now and I have no luggage except a small backpack. I was originally not going to rent a car since I don’t have anywhere to go except Dr. D’s office and the hotel. However, the car rental is actually cheaper than 2 Uber rides, so I went with it. I guess I can drive somewhere to get dinner tonight. Eating out usually makes me feel better.

PT was pretty standard today. I didn’t take Norco beforehand because I wanted to take one for the plane ride instead. I felt a bit low energy at first and on the stationary bike ride, my right quad was sore and tight around the knee area. I’m pretty sure it’s from the ridiculous amount of quad stretching I did in the middle of the night last night. I rode 1.44 miles at resistance level 4.5, so a bit weak compared to last time. After the PT rolled out my quads I did all the other standing exercises, which were doable but quite tiring. The last exercise was the leg press, and I did 30 reps of 85 lbs on both legs, and 30 reps of 65 lbs on each leg individually. The individual leg press is definitely closer to my current strength limit because I was barely able to finish 30 on either leg. I’m really not sure why the PT has the individual leg press weight set at so much more than half of the weight for both legs. Maybe she didn’t do the math :P

I got some takeout nearby when I left PT since I wasn’t sure if I’d have enough time at the airport to buy food. I got home, ate and continued to work, then signed off work early and headed to the airport. It didn’t take long to pack since I was traveling light. The Uber ride to the airport cost more than my car rental in Las Vegas. Parking at the airport would be even more expensive and I’d have to walk from the parking lot to the terminal, so that’s not an option. When I got to the airport I was feeling good so I didn’t even consider the wheelchair. There was no line at pre-check so I got to my gate within 15 minutes and that’s with me walking at a snail’s pace. People were starting to line up for boarding, so I didn’t have time to get food, but I did have enough time to get a bottled drink (learned the hard way last time when I had no water to take my pills with.) Boarding was just starting right as I walked up, and the worker doing the check-in saw me limping over with a cane so she said I could board right away so I followed the two people in wheelchairs getting pushed through the special boarding lane onto the plane.

I took a Norco before the flight, but I don’t think it did anything because I don’t have any pain aside from nerve pain, and Norco doesn’t do anything for that. Initially I felt okay, but I experienced frequent nerve pain randomly throughout the flight, and tried my best to stretch and relieve it in my cramped space. I watched one and a half movies during the flight, which helped distract me from the pain, but it was definitely persistent even while I was focused on the screen. After I landed I walked to the shuttle bus which took me to the rental car facility. I picked up my car, drove to a Chick-fil-A near my hotel to get dinner, then checked into the hotel. For the rest of the night I just played on my phone and stretched a bit and tried to go to sleep a bit early.

Surgery Day +59, Lengthening Day 55 (+0.33mm, 47.89mm total)

The next morning I ate breakfast at the hotel and then drove over to Dr D’s office, which was only a few blocks away. I got my measurements and X-rays taken by Ronnie, and then waited for Dr. D for the checkup. He came in and showed me perfect X-rays again. Both sides have been lengthened the exact same amount and I have no loose screws or any bending in the nails. Callus growth is slightly above average and even on all sides of both bones. We spent most of the time talking about nerve pain since I don’t have any other type of pain or major flexibility issues. He had me walk around a bit and said that I definitely looked taller to him. Regarding nerve pain, there are a few solutions. The best one is to just slow down, but I have already slowed down and I just took a three day break from lengthening without the nerve pain going away, so that didn’t seem to help that much. I think I’ve already started building a tolerance to Gabapentin, which Dr. D. said most people do. I could switch to Lyrica later on and there were some other drug-based solutions we could try (I think he mentioned a steroid but I forgot what it was called.) Dr. D. said I should increase my volume of stretching, to which I agreed that I probably haven’t been stretching as much as I could. For now I’m going to try and stretch a lot more, and we’re going to restart lengthening at 0.5mm/day. While my nerve pain hasn’t gone away, it hasn’t gotten worse either. I’m just going to alternate between 0.33mm days and 0.66mm days so we don’t need the Nuvasive rep to reprogram the ERC for 0.25mm/session. I’m going to carefully observe the nerve pain and it’s frequency and then report back in one week (or sooner if the nerve pain gets worse.)

I also got my prescriptions and the X-ray orders for my local hospital to perform in two weeks and then I left and went straight to the rental car return place. After dropping off the car and shuttling back to the airport, I went through a zero-person pre-check line again and was at my gate fairly quickly. Since I still had about 45 minutes before boarding I ordered a sub and ate it. I totally zoned out when they were calling to board my flight so I ended up boarding at the end, which worked out in my favor because I have more pain in the airplane seat than anywhere else. I thought I had booked an aisle seat for the return flight, but it turns out I remembered wrong and I had a window seat. There were people in both of the other seats next to me, so I crammed into my little corner. Fortunately the seat in front of me was designed perfectly for my situation as there was a vertical metal bar right above the space under the seat for luggage, so I could use it to stretch my hamstring or quad and I used it frequently with my left leg to relieve my nerve pain. This made the flight back home much more tolerable than the flight to Vegas. I ended up finishing the movie I watched half of on the way over, and then I had exactly enough time to watch two additional movies. I don’t know if those movies just had a short runtime or if the flight time was longer, but either way I was adequately distracted until the plane landed.

I had a bit of trouble walking around the airport as I was trying to keep pace with the foot traffic but I can’t actually walk that fast, so after my legs got tired (which was pretty quick) I slowed down and just let people avoid and pass me. The funny thing is when I was at this airport heading to Vegas I felt like I wasn’t very tall compared to the average person, but somehow after returning from Vegas I felt much taller relative to the average person. Maybe it’s a different batch of people in the airport, or maybe how tall I perceive myself is all in my head. Anyway, I walked quite a bit to get to the rideshare pickup area and then took an Uber home. I unpacked right away when I got home and then changed into comfortable clothes. I noticed that both my shins were pretty numb, though I wasn’t getting any shooting nerve pain at least. I made some food and browsed the web and wrote down some notes for my journal, which I planned to update later.

I tried to stretch more frequently than before; every so often when I remembered I would do my calf, hamstring, and quad stretches. Doing the standing variant of these stretches is actually better for me and it also prevents me from doing the stretch lazily like I can when doing the laying down version of the stretch. I lengthened for the first time in almost 90 hours and I didn’t feel any aftereffects. I noticed that my thighs were very swollen again, which is not surprising given that I took two decently long flights within a period of 24 hours. I also racked up almost 7,000 steps of walking each day for the last two days, which is the equivalent of nearly three miles each day. I decided to take an ice bath to hopefully help a bit with the swelling. After 15 minutes in ice I switched it to warm water and of course I managed to fall asleep in the tub again. I woke up shivering, got out quickly and dried off, then took my nighttime pills and went to bed for real.

Surgery Day +60, Lengthening Day 56 (+0.66mm, 48.55mm total)

My sleep tracker showed less than 6 hours of sleep, but if we count the time I was asleep in the tub it would be nearly 7 I think. I dreamed about one of the movies that I watched on the plane. I guess it had a deep impression on me and my brain was still trying to figure out the complicated plot. When I woke up, both of my shins were tingling, which is one step up from just being numb. I don’t think I’ve had that before, but it doesn’t hurt unlike the shooting pains in my left calf that I’m much more concerned about. Fortunately I didn’t have any of the shooting nerve pain while I was in bed. I got up to do my morning routine and noticed my thighs were still very swollen and my left knee hurt a bit when I walked. I believe it's from all the walking I did over the last few days. I think I’m going to have to take Norco before PT today. I had some errands to run this morning, so I got dressed, ate quickly, and went outside. As I was walking around outside, I noticed that I wasn’t feeling as much of the nerve issues in my shin. I think the nerve stuff is still present, just not noticeable when I’m outside. Walking definitely helps with some types of pain, but unfortunately my left knee still hadn’t warmed up enough so I was limping a little more than usual on the left side.

I got back from my errands with a few hours to spare before PT and I wanted to get my first lengthening session done before PT. I did all my stretches and then lengthened. It was pretty straightforward with no issues from lengthening yet. Before going to PT I remembered to take Norco. At PT I rode the bike for 1.5 miles at resistance level 5 for 10 minutes and my quads felt very sore while biking like this, though at least it is an improvement over last time. Afterwards, the PT rolled my quads out and then I did all of my exercises, which were mostly standing. She increased all the weights and used tighter resistance bands for me, and I actually felt lightheaded during one of the workouts for my core/obliques. I finished with the leg press at 90 lbs for both legs and 70 pounds for each leg. I did 30 reps of each exercise. Afterwards I asked them to ice my legs since they were swollen and I thought that it might help, but their ice pad was really not that cold (especially for someone used to ice baths) so I won’t bother next time. I’ll just keep taking ice baths, elevating my legs and massaging them. I got some takeout and went home.

After I got back I ate and then I had a few more errands to run, and before I knew it hours had passed and I was hungry again. My legs were pretty tired and my shins were tingling really hard, possibly to the point where I could call it 2/10 pain. It was certainly uncomfortable at least, but nowhere near as bad as the shooting pain. I made dinner and then watched some TV while continuing to stretch. Before it got too late, I did my second lengthening of the day and then I thought about taking an ice bath. I wasn’t in the mood though, and ice baths are definitely something you have to be in the mood for. My legs haven’t felt anything bad from restarting lengthening so far, unless you count the additional tingling on my shins. I’m sure I’ll find out if that turns into something worse or not soon enough. It was getting late and I was behind on sleep so I went to bed.

Surgery Day +61, Lengthening Day 57 (+0.33mm, 48.88mm total)

I got up at 8am to take my morning pills and then tried to go to bed again. It took a while, but I managed to fall back asleep and slept in for a bit. I slept for a total of 8.7 hours out of 9.5 spent in bed, but only managed to get 60 minutes of deep sleep. After I got up I sat in bed for a while with my laptop and ate breakfast. Then I decided to do a morning stretching session. Even though I was only lengthening once today, I need to keep up on regular stretching to stay ahead of my nerve pain. I still don’t have any shooting nerve pain in my left calf which is a very good sign, but both of my shins are extra numb with pins and needles still. Walking definitely helps suppress the bad feelings in my shins, though the numbness is ever persistent. I think I’m still a little weak in the left knee but hopefully that goes away once the swelling subsides.

I did my second stretching session in the early afternoon, then lengthened. I had some slight tingling in my left shin after lengthening, but nothing painful. I felt like I was weaker walking around after lengthening, but that could also be because I was sitting on the bed for a while doing nothing after lengthening. Later in the afternoon I watched some NFL playoff games and then it was time to make dinner. After dinner I did a stretching session and then I had a bunch of other stuff to do. Before I knew it, it was time for bed.

Surgery Day +62, Lengthening Day 58 (+0.66mm, 49.54mm total)

I woke up naturally at 8am and got up to take my morning pills. Since it was still the weekend I turned off my alarm and tried to go back to bed and sleep in. It took a bit of time to fall back asleep but I succeeded. I got a total of 8.4 hours of sleep out of 9.1 hours in bed, and got 1.6 hours of deep sleep. Overall I think my sleep has been pretty good these few days. Having a five day weekend definitely helps me relax psychologically. This morning I got a hint of the nerve tingling leading up to shooting pain in my right calf on the inside near the heel. I was careful though and didn’t trigger any actual nerve pain. This feeling makes me nervous though, since it feels like the terrible shooting pain could come back at any time. I have been doing a couple of quad stretches every time I get up in the night to prevent nerve pain. Overall, I would say for the last 2.5 days I have been in 0-2/10 pain all day every day. The only pain is from when my shins tingle really hard and it’s quite uncomfortable, but it’s nowhere near the 7/10 shooting pain that instantly becomes my focus when it occurs.

I got out of bed and ate breakfast, then watched some TV and next thing I knew it was almost noon. I did a very efficient and focused 20 minutes of stretching and hit every major muscle group needed, then lengthened with no problems. I kept busy for a couple more hours until my allotted gym time. I went down to the gym and rode the Peloton for 30 minutes. I don’t know why I thought riding for 30 minutes would be a good idea, but there was a beginner 30 minute ride on the main menu and I just loaded it. I was quite tired afterwards, and the seat made me very uncomfortable even with biking shorts, but I managed to output 107 kJ in 30 minutes, which is a solid output compared to my prior rides. I feel like I should be able to hit almost 80 kJ in a 20 min ride, which is probably my next goal on the Peloton. I was only in the bottom 17th percentile for this ride though, overall. I can feel the limitations to my maximum flexibility and power when I push my hardest. My heartbeat went over 170 bpm a couple of times, so I’m definitely nearing my cardiovascular limit, though I think these bike rides are probably helping me improve that as well. I can tell that my legs are getting stronger and have more endurance, which is good. However, I don’t think that riding a bike is going to help me with my gait though so I still need to work on walking. I keep thinking that it’s snowy and icy outside, but it’s really not. My PT has suggested that I go for some outdoor walks, and I probably should. I had a few minutes of gym time left so I did a couple of quick upper body reps with dumbbells and then went back home.

At this point it wasn’t late enough to cook dinner yet, so I stretched for a bit and watched some football. I fell asleep for about an hour and then got up and played some games on my phone. Then I cooked dinner and ate while watching more football. I was chatting with some friends and it was getting quite late, so I had to start my second lengthening session. I did another very efficient stretching session, hitting all the stretches I wanted in just 20 minutes, then I ran the ERC with no aftereffects. So far so good at the 0.5mm/day rate. As it was getting late, I got ready to go to bed and went to sleep after taking my nighttime pills.

Surgery Day +63, Lengthening Day 59 (+0.33mm, 49.87mm total)

I woke up very early in the morning and couldn’t fall back asleep. I got 5.5 out of 5.8 hours of sleep with 45 minutes of deep sleep. I would just have to somehow make it up later. At 8am I got up and stumbled over to the kitchen to take my morning pills. I also did my morning routine, and then went back to bed where it was warm and cozy. I browsed the web on my laptop in bed and didn’t want to move or do anything. I should have done a morning stretching session before PT, but I couldn’t make it happen.

Although I had the day off work for the holiday, my PT did not. I headed over to PT in the late morning. I rode the stationary bike hard, getting my heart rate to almost 180. I rode 1.61 miles at resistance level 5.5, which is the best I’ve done so far. I averaged around 90 watts of output throughout the ride. Next the PT rolled out my quads and IT bands, then I did some single legged bridges and then my standing stretches. My calf flexibility is very good now, maybe even as good as pre-surgery. Considering how bad it got a few weeks ago, the improvement is really amazing to me. I can lean forward quite a bit standing on a slant board with my body completely straight, forming a 45 degree angle with my foot and leg, feeling a very tolerable stretch on my calf. My hamstring flexibility has improved as well, though it’s nowhere near what it was before. I did a couple of other exercises, then on the leg press I did 30 reps at 97.5 pounds with both legs, and 30 reps of 77.5 pounds for each leg individually. The single leg press is getting really hard at this weight and I’m sure with a couple more pounds I won’t be able to do 30 reps anymore. I also want to note that while I was working out in the PT facility, I frequently observed myself in the mirror to make sure I was doing my exercises with the right form. This also means that I’m constantly looking at my new proportions. I was wearing invisible socks today, and with a regular workout shirt and gym shorts I feel like I have amazing proportions now. I’m extremely happy with my current proportions and I’m not sure if adding another 3cm will help or not. My legs look kind of long already, and I think from a distance I probably look taller than I actually am right now. My longer femur to tibia ratio with clothes on is definitely not noticeable at all right now. It looks great in the mirror, regardless of what the actual ratio is right now. I no longer feel like I have short and stubby thighs, so continuing to lengthen will purely be for additional height, possibly at the cost of ideal proportions.

I rushed home after PT and I had about 20 minutes to lengthen, change clothes, and eat a snack before heading back out to my scheduled massage. I did a hip stretch and a quad stretch since I didn’t stretch those at PT, and then ran the ERC on each leg. I’m still technically not at 5cm yet, but I’m close enough that I’m just going to call it 5cm and make this my 5cm journal update. I now plan to update my journal once per centimeter. However, I’m not sure how many more centimeters I’m going to get though. The slow lengthening rate and the process dragging on and on makes me want to stop early. I’m also concerned about proportions, especially after talking to some other lengtheners who are also noticing the increased femur to tibia ratio in the mirror. It took me 19 days to go from 4cm to 5cm, unlike the 10 day/cm rate I was doing for the first 3cm and almost 4cm. It really feels like a snail’s pace right now, but what can I do? I will say that at this moment I feel much better than I did two weeks ago when I last updated the journal. At that point I wasn’t sure how much longer I could even continue lengthening, but now I have the confidence to go to at least 6cm, maybe even 6.5cm (which would take another month at my current rate!) My flexibility is not an issue at all right now. I don’t feel that tight at all, even in the hamstrings, which is amazing. My only weakness is nerve pain; it’s a terrible weakness, especially when it manifests nonstop. There’s a lot to think about, but I also have a lot of time to think about it.

After eating a snack, I put on regular clothes and headed back outside to get my massage. My biggest fear here is the masseuse triggering my shooting nerve pain since I don’t have any shooting pains right now, and if it gets triggered it might not go away so easily. I’m going to try and make sure that it doesn’t happen by being more vocal during the massage. Other than that I could certainly use some extra work on my quads right now, they are quite sore after that tough bike ride and heavy leg press. On the massage table I started out face down and got a lot of work done on my hamstrings and calves. The focus was primarily on my legs. I ran into a major issue though; while my left calf was getting a strong massage, my right shin started to hurt a ton in the area that was numb/tingling. The pain was in the form of a painful tingle. I don’t know how else to describe it, but it was 6-7/10 pain and I was desperately trying to move my right leg around to find a position to relieve the pain. I don’t think it was anything the masseuse did, but whatever position I was in was generating the pain, and at a level just below the threshold where I would have to shout out in pain. I was clenching my teeth and trying to focus away the pain, and I even had the masseuse switch legs and push my right leg into a bent knee position to alleviate the pain, which helped a little. Fortunately, at this point the end of the massage was near and I just had to continue bearing it for a bit. After the masseuse left the room I got off the table and did some quad stretches. It immediately reduced the pain to about a 3-4/10 which was tolerable. It got better as I walked out and by the time I left the building and drove off, the pain was down to 0/10. I don’t really understand how that pain came about because I lay on my stomach in bed all the time and I don’t get nerve pain from that position. I’m reluctant to get another massage now because that was a terrible experience. After the massage my legs felt really good, but it’s definitely not worth the pain that I felt during the massage. My feet were super cold and the masseuse warming them up should have felt really good, but the pain in my shin ruined all of that. For my next massage I will probably go to a different massage place where I can get a foot massage sitting down to improve my circulation.

When I got home I ate another snack. Sadly I haven’t had a meal yet today, but I was going grocery shopping and I figured I would eat a ton after getting back from that. I kept myself busy for 30 minutes while waiting for the timer on my pills. As soon as I ate the pills I headed out to go to the store. I was going grocery shopping for the first time since I returned from Las Vegas last month. I still have about a month's worth of frozen and canned foods that I can cook, so I don't necessarily need to go shopping right now, but I figured it would be good to have fresh food to eat. I didn’t know at all what my capabilities would be before surgery, so I really stocked up on a lot of food in case I couldn’t even go outside at all. However, since I can easily drive and I can easily walk around (albeit with a funny gait) I should have no problems with grocery shopping. I picked a grocery store a bit further from home instead of the one I usually go to and drove over. This way I’m less likely to bump into someone I know. I walked into the store from the parking lot with my cane, but once I grabbed a cart I could use that like a walker for balance and just put my cane in the cart. After that I was really shopping like a normal person, except not being able to walk nearly as fast while pushing the cart. Pushing the cart itself was not a problem, even as it got heavier with more food. I picked up a lot of mood uplifting food like ribeye steaks, ice cream, and chips and salsa (for next weekend's football games.) Hopefully I can eat my way to happiness while suffering from issues related to soft tissue elongation. After picking everything up I checked out and pushed the cart back to my car, loaded my stuff in the trunk and drove home. It took quite a few trips back and forth to my car to get everything inside since I didn’t want to carry a lot of weight at once. Once I put all the food in the pantry and fridge I finally didn’t have any more reasons to go outside for the rest of the day.

I took a shower and changed into my LL video clothes. I actually feel the most “normal” right now that I have felt at any point since surgery day, so I figured it would be a good time to take a video. I had my cane nearby but didn’t shoot any video with the cane because that’s boring! Here I am walking around and going up and down stairs nine weeks after surgery at a hair under 5cm lengthened.

After reviewing this footage I think my gait in the video doesn’t look that great because I am swaying hard to the left when I put weight on my left leg. This video was taken after I walked over 5,000 steps today, so I didn’t have a ton of strength left in my legs. When my legs are fresh I can focus on my hip muscles to reduce sway while walking. At least I am able to walk relatively fast compared to before, so that’s an improvement. I think the LL process is very individualized and you can’t look at someone’s video and think that you’ll be at the same point after the same number of days post-op, or that you’ll completely recover by a certain date. I started out very flexible, but lost most of it quickly as I lengthened. I also had nerve pain very early on in the distraction phase compared to others. There’s no way to know how fast your bone growth will be, how fast your soft tissue growth will be, and how that all interacts with the other factors of lengthening until you actually start the process. You can theorize all you want, but when you actually get LL, something you weren’t expecting will definitely smack you right in the face.

After taking that video I cooked dinner and ate. Then the pace of the remainder of the evening was very relaxed as I didn’t have another lengthening to do today. I did a full stretching session to make sure that I’m staying ahead on that. I don’t really have anything else important to do tonight, so I’m on the LL forum posting this update. Every time I remember that my life would be pretty much the exact same right now (due to the pandemic) even if I wasn't getting LL helps a lot. In fact, with LL I'm actually going outside more since I have to frequently go to PT and visit Dr. D haha. I will probably go to bed very early tonight and try to improve my sleep quality for next week. Expect another update at 6cm!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
169cm -> 177cm (goal)
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Distraction Phase

L8GrowthSpurt

• Visitor
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2021, 03:29:32 AM »

Wow! Thanks for more great diary work, BTM.  Much appreciated.  I’m behind ya and am learning a lot from your experiences. I too wil have to juggle work after a month off, which concerns me but I’ll deal.  Keep up the good work and hope that nerve pin disappears. Now, go get that last 3cm! 😁

Vibes

• Visitor
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2021, 03:04:03 AM »

Do you complete any exercises for your hip abductors to strengthen them? I have spoken with several PT on their recommendations for rehab after surgery (including those at Paley institute) and they recommend to do clam shell exercise to reduce the hip sway. Maybe it can help you just an idea  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up