Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting surgery soon  (Read 8403 times)

ballsackoffury123

Re: Getting surgery soon
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2023, 01:56:57 AM »

Talked to a new doctor the day before yesterday

He suggested that I did the femur stretch one leg at a time so I wouldn't need a wheelchair for the recovery period.

I found it strange, because I would have one leg longer than the other for a period. It is common?

Or most people do both femurs at once?

It is a known procedure, but like 95% of the people do both legs at one time.
pros of one leg at a time is that you can rely on one leg during the entire time, like you wouldnt do the second leg until the first leg has healed. The con is obviously you will need surgery twice, and that is a lot more expensive because you're paying for double the surgeon's time and also twice the hospital stay. I think most people will recommend doing both legs at a time. If you have partial weight bearing nails, and you dont weight more than 160 pounds, you're gonna be on the walker most of the time after 2 weeks anyways. Aside from when you need to travel long distances, the doctor recommended me use a walker, it'll heal up recovery faster by walking

goingtall

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2023, 04:14:18 AM »

I meant a good flexibility. By the way, it's the first time I've heard something like that, it sounds a bit atypical. Would you mind saying the name of your new doctor?

Im not doing it in the US or Europe. Im doing in South America (I live here).

goingtall

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2023, 04:17:28 AM »

It is a known procedure, but like 95% of the people do both legs at one time.
pros of one leg at a time is that you can rely on one leg during the entire time, like you wouldnt do the second leg until the first leg has healed. The con is obviously you will need surgery twice, and that is a lot more expensive because you're paying for double the surgeon's time and also twice the hospital stay. I think most people will recommend doing both legs at a time. If you have partial weight bearing nails, and you dont weight more than 160 pounds, you're gonna be on the walker most of the time after 2 weeks anyways. Aside from when you need to travel long distances, the doctor recommended me use a walker, it'll heal up recovery faster by walking

Wow, thanks, very helpful comment.

I weight 132 pounds.

I already imagined that doing both legs would be better. I will have intramedulary nail from the first day out of surgery (LON).

Another interesting thing is that the doctor said that the titanium nail could stay inside the femur forever. That it is a personal matter to take or not to take out.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2023, 04:49:04 AM »

Wow, thanks, very helpful comment.

I weight 132 pounds.

I already imagined that doing both legs would be better. I will have intramedulary nail from the first day out of surgery (LON).

Another interesting thing is that the doctor said that the titanium nail could stay inside the femur forever. That it is a personal matter to take or not to take out.

Yeah at 132 pounds you are well below any weight to be in a wheelchair. And I'm pretty sure LON is full weight bearing? I prob wont be able to convince you but LON definitely has potential to have a lot more complications. It is what a lot of doctors in Turkey recommend, but there is a reason no western doctors even offers it. If you can financially afford an internal nail, it is worth the price. But obviously a lot more expensive and it is your life and your decision.

I am more familiar with Precise 2.2 and it is also a titanium nail. Almost all doctors will recommend you get it out within 1 year.
1) It is a much simpler surgery to get it out, you dont even stay overnight in the hospital.
2) When the nail is out, you have more range of motion and you will feel looser. At least that is what almost all patients that gets their nails removed says. No reason to keep a nail in at all when your bones are fully consolidated
3) It will obviously cost money, but it is a procedure some insurance covers. But even out of pocket, it is a fraction of the price of inserting the nail.

I did hours and hours and hours of research prior to getting my surgery. Just offering my own opinions over here so take it with a grain of salt :)

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2023, 09:21:45 AM »

Completely agree!

Hagane

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2023, 06:26:31 PM »

Yeah at 132 pounds you are well below any weight to be in a wheelchair. And I'm pretty sure LON is full weight bearing? I prob wont be able to convince you but LON definitely has potential to have a lot more complications. It is what a lot of doctors in Turkey recommend, but there is a reason no western doctors even offers it. If you can financially afford an internal nail, it is worth the price. But obviously a lot more expensive and it is your life and your decision.

I am more familiar with Precise 2.2 and it is also a titanium nail. Almost all doctors will recommend you get it out within 1 year.
1) It is a much simpler surgery to get it out, you dont even stay overnight in the hospital.
2) When the nail is out, you have more range of motion and you will feel looser. At least that is what almost all patients that gets their nails removed says. No reason to keep a nail in at all when your bones are fully consolidated
3) It will obviously cost money, but it is a procedure some insurance covers. But even out of pocket, it is a fraction of the price of inserting the nail.

I did hours and hours and hours of research prior to getting my surgery. Just offering my own opinions over here so take it with a grain of salt :)

to add to your list
while you have your precice nails in you cant have an MRI, and the thought of never being able to get one in your life especially if you need one down the line is terrifying
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2023, 06:51:52 AM »

to add to your list
while you have your precice nails in you cant have an MRI, and the thought of never being able to get one in your life especially if you need one down the line is terrifying

yep 100%, and so much more to the list. No one knows the long term effects of having the rare metal of the precise 2.2 in your body for so long.
Nail in your femur replaces where the bone marrow is, when you get it out, it should grow back within a month.

I think consensus is, get them friggen nails out when you're ready (usually around the 1 year mark).

goingtall

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2023, 05:41:23 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Had another talk with my Doctor last week and he suggested I did one femur at a time, so I can have a "good" leg during the stretch process. He said that by doing both legs I wouldn't be able to walk at all during the first 3 months of leg-lengthening... Kinda find that weird since you all said that by being light weight and by having the inside nail I could walk... but hey, Im no Doctor.

Of course, this would double the time needed for recovery, but given your reports of so much pain I've been reading around this forum, I'm thinking that maybe it's better...

Also I just remembered he recommended stretching only only 0.75cm per day (not 1cm as I thought), divided into 3 turns of the device per day.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2023, 06:21:15 AM »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Had another talk with my Doctor last week and he suggested I did one femur at a time, so I can have a "good" leg during the stretch process. He said that by doing both legs I wouldn't be able to walk at all during the first 3 months of leg-lengthening... Kinda find that weird since you all said that by being light weight and by having the inside nail I could walk... but hey, Im no Doctor.

Of course, this would double the time needed for recovery, but given your reports of so much pain I've been reading around this forum, I'm thinking that maybe it's better...

Also I just remembered he recommended stretching only only 0.75cm per day (not 1cm as I thought), divided into 3 turns of the device per day.

Sounds sketch.  Which doctor are you talking to? You should be able to walk, and in fact, encouraged to. You just have to use a walker to offload half hour weight when you’re taking a step. But you should be able to stand on both legs without any support.

Also lengthening 1mm early on is pretty standard. Slowing down towards the end based off of how individual body reacts is normal but, early on 1mm is standard practice to almost all doctors. I’m not a doctor, but I’ve talked to many top surgeons.

goingtall

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2023, 10:17:22 PM »

Sounds sketch.  Which doctor are you talking to? You should be able to walk, and in fact, encouraged to. You just have to use a walker to offload half hour weight when you’re taking a step. But you should be able to stand on both legs without any support.

Also lengthening 1mm early on is pretty standard. Slowing down towards the end based off of how individual body reacts is normal but, early on 1mm is standard practice to almost all doctors. I’m not a doctor, but I’ve talked to many top surgeons.

I've consulted with 3 doctors and I'm pretty much set on one.

They are doctors from Brazil, where I live. I don't intend to leave the country for this type of surgery, for 3 good reasons: 1. Here I have a good health plan. 2. here I have family and legal assistance and 3. the doctors here are good, contrary to what one might imagine

The thing is PRECISE is not widespread here and the 3 that I talked to suggested LON. Id pay for precise but apparently the doctors here don't have the know-how yet.

Im gonna ask him again about the walking stuff and im pretty sure he suggested lengthening only 0.75mm a day

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2023, 03:44:20 AM »

I've consulted with 3 doctors and I'm pretty much set on one.

They are doctors from Brazil, where I live. I don't intend to leave the country for this type of surgery, for 3 good reasons: 1. Here I have a good health plan. 2. here I have family and legal assistance and 3. the doctors here are good, contrary to what one might imagine

The thing is PRECISE is not widespread here and the 3 that I talked to suggested LON. Id pay for precise but apparently the doctors here don't have the know-how yet.

Im gonna ask him again about the walking stuff and im pretty sure he suggested lengthening only 0.75mm a day

That’s fair, I think logistics plays a bit part, and I wouldn’t leave my country to do this surgery as well. But I’m also blessed to be in the safest country for this, the USA. Please just make sure you do the research for LON. I think LON in general has a lot of higher complications, especially LON femurs. But I’m not gonna be able to change your mind. Do know the doctors that convinces you HAS something to gain from you so they will tell you what you want to hear. I have nothing to gain if you decide to go with it, not go with it. Quite frankly you living or dying doesn’t even impact my life so I am just telling you what I know from over 1 year of research. If you do decide to go with LON, main main complication is infections. Research it as much as you can and how to best prevent it.

Mickxe

• Visitor
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2023, 06:33:23 PM »

Omg that’s scary  :'( Thanks for the links

Mickxe

• Visitor
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2023, 06:42:51 PM »

If you can afford Precice, go for it because it’s safer not to have external! Also the scars are smaller. I would as well if I could but only has enough for LON right now  :'(

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2023, 09:02:53 PM »

Also doctors prob convince you to do 1 leg at a time because they get more money? whats the price tag total of doing 1 leg at at time vs 2 leg at a time.

Tip here is, some doctors are sketch, and they are just trying to get money and not giving you the best decisions for what you need. Don't be naive and think all doctors are good people and you should listen to them 100% of the time. DO YOUR RESEARCH. The community here is full of people who has went to prestigious doctors like Dr. Paley and just offering you what they know with nothing in return. Their opinions have helped me and I just wish to pay it forward.

goingtall

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2023, 01:37:46 PM »

Also doctors prob convince you to do 1 leg at a time because they get more money? whats the price tag total of doing 1 leg at at time vs 2 leg at a time.

Tip here is, some doctors are sketch, and they are just trying to get money and not giving you the best decisions for what you need. Don't be naive and think all doctors are good people and you should listen to them 100% of the time. DO YOUR RESEARCH. The community here is full of people who has went to prestigious doctors like Dr. Paley and just offering you what they know with nothing in return. Their opinions have helped me and I just wish to pay it forward.

He suggested doing 1 leg at a time because I would stay with one 'good' leg and that I'd be fine by myself doing every day stuff. He wouldnt get more money out of it.

I just found out one of Dr. Paleys doctors is gonna be in Brazil next week - dr. Craig Robbins. Along with Dr. S. Robert Rozbruch. Link: https://asamifix.com.br/

Doctors I consulted are just not familiar with precise. Would the pain with precise be inferior to LON? Or the only issue is embolism and scarring?

hippo60

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2023, 03:48:18 PM »

He suggested doing 1 leg at a time because I would stay with one 'good' leg and that I'd be fine by myself doing every day stuff. He wouldnt get more money out of it.

I just found out one of Dr. Paleys doctors is gonna be in Brazil next week - dr. Craig Robbins. Along with Dr. S. Robert Rozbruch. Link: https://asamifix.com.br/

Doctors I consulted are just not familiar with precise. Would the pain with precise be inferior to LON? Or the only issue is embolism and scarring?

Not many people have done both LON and precice so it's hard to compare. Precice does seem to be less painful, and also a lot more comfortable. Walking with those things for months isn't fun, not to mention sleeping. And most people do LON tibias, femurs are supposed to be even harder and more painful since there is more muscle to go through etc.

What about LON tibias? Was that an option?

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2023, 12:50:01 AM »

Still..would you rather get this over with in 6-8 months or double that time period doing 1 leg at a time.  How would 2 surgeries not be more expensive than 1? Just booking the hospital OR room and hospital stay twice is money.

But fine, I’m not an expert on LON. So I don’t wanna comment out of my ass. But I recommend you bite the bullet and do it at once rather than twice the tkme

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2023, 08:11:31 AM »

A new fake profile? Trueman and James Bond, whatever your name is...

I have never written that all that I write is speculation, look at my eairler posts if you don't believe me... You just posted a bunch of nonsense. Pretty much everytime I post something here I have evidence to back it up, not like you and the wolf guy. I only claim what has already been proven to be correct not like you guys argumenting with zero facts and your personal opinion. I don't choose Dr Giotikas and Greece over everything. If you look at my earlier post I actually tell people to go with Paley in US if they have the money, but most people don't have that amount. So no your interpretation of me being bias towards Dr G is not accurate and hey if you want to avoid all western surgeons advice of avoiding LON, then go ahead and do it. But their is a high chance of you ending up cripled, getting Deep infection or something third compared to an internal method with Femurs... We have seen it many times people ending up butchered by LON and their turkish/indian surgeons.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=78209.0

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=79700.0

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=78387.0

I can find more evidence if you want but is this enough for you? ;)

Sigma

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2023, 12:41:29 PM »

Dont listen to the nonsense, femurs is very invasive compared to the tibias although it recovers faster, it has a higher complication rate. Dont think of the pain difference as nothing, femurs is way more painful compared to tibias and it can affect the results. LON tibias is still very common.
Exactly.
Going for femur precice2 / Lon tibia with Dr. Donghoon Lee in a few years.
Starting height 173cm. Goal 186 to 187cm.
You can always be thinner, look better.

Sigma

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2023, 12:54:14 PM »

Look at this guy doing tibia, he looks like a clown.

https://drpiliortopedico.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/PRIMA-E-DOPO-8-cm-1-mese-post-rimozione-11-mesi-post-op.jpg
Are you serious? This picture was fake and used for meme. You can see it on many like reddit - 4chan.

https://i.imgur.com/aqMqDk2.jpg

Sigma

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2023, 01:14:07 PM »

How much nonsense there is. Don't speculate on things you don't know. If you have a long femur and a short tibia, you will look like an alien if you lengthen your femur. Lengthen the shorter limb, not the longer one. This will make your legs look beautiful. If your tibia and femur are equal let's compare. The femur bone is curved and will not be the same as the one you extended. While it will be 100% in the tibia, it will not be 100% in the femur. Also, no matter what method you do, the femur will be more painful, trust me. It will hurt more because there are more muscle vascular nerves in the femoral region. In addition, your gait will be very impaired and it will take more time for you to walk properly than those with tibias. Cosmetically, the tibia is always better. If your femurs are not short, definitely go to the tibia. Unfortunately, there are no 100% load bearing nails. That's why most of the people who don't want their nails to break do lon. If you're going to lon just do the tibias. If you make a femur, you will regret it. Cosmetically, the inner nail is always better, but there is not much risk between the lon method and these methods. There are many patients with complications such as Precice2-Stryde who have had surgery with their nails, have had a bone infection, have broken the nail from the inside. The risks are almost the same as with the loners. The 0.1% difference isn't that big of a deal. Whatever method you do, your bones will be broken and some things depend on your body.

goingtall

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2023, 10:42:35 PM »

Scheduled my surgery for mid-September.

Gonna go with LON on both femurs, trying 6cm to 8cm.

My mom's gonna stay with me the first 2 months and then Im on my own, probably gonna hire a part-time nurse or something.

Doc said I wouldnt walk in the first 3 to 4 months of stretching.

goingtall

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2023, 06:02:52 PM »

I have to buy a wheelchair soon to get around during the 4 months of the distraction.

Should I buy a wheelchair that the footrest lifts and folds?

Or a regular one should be fine? (I am in doubt if I will have difficulty bending my knee after surgery.)

Im doing both femurs (LON).

Unknown

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2023, 06:58:02 PM »

Go with LON tibias if you can. LON femurs is torturous and typically only internal femurs is recommended.

TheDream

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2023, 09:01:33 PM »

LON femurs is very uncomfortable mate.

I didnt even know any doctors still offered that I’m assuming youve chosen a turkish doctor?

TheDream

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2023, 09:03:33 PM »

Are you serious? This picture was fake and used for meme. You can see it on many like reddit - 4chan.

https://i.imgur.com/aqMqDk2.jpg
No the OG 181 cm pic is real from the diary he got 7-8 cm on Tibias with Catagni I believe his diary is here somewhere or on the old forum.

goingtall

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2023, 09:36:49 PM »

Im ready to endure the pain. Any suggestions on a wheelchair?

mate10000w

• Visitor
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2023, 07:21:49 AM »

How is your mindset like now?

goingtall

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2023, 08:53:31 PM »

How is your mindset like now?

Stretching daily, trying to eat healthy, making final arrangements, trying not to overthink stuff.

My health plan's already authorized the surgery so I wont go back

Acemace86

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2023, 09:47:54 PM »

How did you get insurance to cover a cosmetic procedure?

goingtall

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2023, 10:21:39 PM »

How did you get insurance to cover a cosmetic procedure?

My Doctor did a really good job building a case and trying to convince the health firm.

I thought it wouldn't work, but I insisted and they'll pay for almost everything.

Although this was the 3rd Doctor I consulted, the others wouldnt even try (lost cause as they said)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up