Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting surgery soon  (Read 8399 times)

goingtall

Getting surgery soon
« on: March 17, 2023, 07:14:18 AM »

I am in the final stages of deciding which surgeon I will have the femur lengthening procedure with.

I'm 5 feet tall and I have a congenital back problem that made me so short. It's called Spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia tarda. It never stopped me from practically anything, I was always very active and sportsy, but unfortunately very short. Im 39 yo and not concerned with the loss of athletic ability tbh...

My biggest concern is with complications in lengthening the femur (thigh bone), which apparently is more complicated than lengthening the tibia. As the femur is a somewhat curved and arched bone - unlike the tibia - there can be an unwanted change in axis between hip and knee.

Another additional complication is about body proportion. Due to the disease, my trunk is already much smaller than my legs, so in fact I would stretch the femur - 6 cm at most.

Im gonna try to insert a image /sketch of a preview I made but not sure how yet

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
Re: Getting surgery soon
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 09:23:31 AM »

You research is wrong lengthening tibia in generel has a much higher complication rate than femur. Some of the reasons is that you have to cut and grow back longer 2 bones (tibia+fibular bone) vs femur where it's only one bone. Most doctors recommend to just go for the Femurs and lengthen 6-8 cm, because it is the safest, quickest and easiest. With tibia surgery malalignment is also much more common than with femur. Go watch Cyborg4lifes video on whether you should choose tibia or femur, and this will be confirmed :)

Unknown

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »

Tibias is much less painful than femurs.

goingtall

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 02:25:58 PM »

Thanks, had no idea femur was safer. Guess im calmer now.

Still cant upload any pictures - message error from forum: The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator

Uploaded it (my body proportions) to a third party site: https://postimg.cc/Mf0t0NYp

DanishViking

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 09:39:41 PM »

When doing such a surgery pain is inevitble. It's something you shouldn't really care about since it's only a one time thing...

DanishViking

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 09:44:31 PM »

I think your proportions looks totally fine. Especially with femur lengthening it's very easy to hide, if you care about hiding your surgery from other people. I personally think most people should stop caring about what other people think, since it limits or can destroy your life... But that might only be my thinking...

goingtall

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 03:30:11 AM »

Been reading a lot since I first posted here and some doubts arose.

Should I start exercising more and doing a lot of stretching in my legs to prepare for surgery?

Another question: my doctor said he would use the monolateral fixator technique for the femur. Does this technique leave a perpetual intramedullary nail in your leg?

DanishViking

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 01:04:31 PM »

1. Yes before surgery if you have a proper doctor, they should give you some instructions for streching exercises.

2. Not sure about your question but only internal lengthening methods for femurs is safe. In generel LON is much more unsafe and almost all western surgeons don't recommend it for a reason...

goingtall

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 05:24:00 PM »

In the Limb Lengthening Methods page here on the forum the LON method is explained as:

"Lengthening Over Nails combines a ring fixator for lengthening and a regular intramedullary nail... Once the bones are fully consolidated, another operation is needed to remove the nails along with a week’s bed rest for the bones to heal from nail removal."

So there's definitely a nail, dont know if it is pulled or if it remains. It depends on the doctor?

Im gonna talk to my doctor again, but from what we talked im getting this one: https://www.limblength.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Art_Tx-ExFix-Monolateral-Fixator-Before-Femur-Lengthening.jpg.webp

I guess there's no intramedullary nail, but im kinda confused! Thanks !

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 05:42:14 PM »

In the Limb Lengthening Methods page here on the forum the LON method is explained as:

"Lengthening Over Nails combines a ring fixator for lengthening and a regular intramedullary nail... Once the bones are fully consolidated, another operation is needed to remove the nails along with a week’s bed rest for the bones to heal from nail removal."

So there's definitely a nail, dont know if it is pulled or if it remains. It depends on the doctor?

Im gonna talk to my doctor again, but from what we talked im getting this one: https://www.limblength.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Art_Tx-ExFix-Monolateral-Fixator-Before-Femur-Lengthening.jpg.webp

I guess there's no intramedullary nail, but im kinda confused! Thanks !

I would recommend you do Precise 2.2 or a weight bearing nail.  LON patients have worse outcomes on all fronts.  This method is really out the door for reputable surgeons these days and is considered old tech.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

kamaruusman

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 06:05:33 PM »

You research is wrong lengthening tibia in generel has a much higher complication rate than femur. Some of the reasons is that you have to cut and grow back longer 2 bones (tibia+fibular bone) vs femur where it's only one bone. Most doctors recommend to just go for the Femurs and lengthen 6-8 cm, because it is the safest, quickest and easiest. With tibia surgery malalignment is also much more common than with femur. Go watch Cyborg4lifes video on whether you should choose tibia or femur, and this will be confirmed :)

Femoral lengthening has a much higher chance of FE syndrome compared which is the most deadly complication. Plus with femurs, you have no choice but to do it with internal nails which even raises the chance of FE due to extra reaming of the bones.

On the other hand, tibia surgery has a higher chance of developing minor complications such as pin-site infections.

So in other words, I'd say pure external tibia lengthening would be the safest even if it's slowest.

goingtall

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 09:17:48 PM »

> Plus with femurs, you have no choice but to do it with internal nails

So there's no femur surgery without internal nails?

goingtall

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 04:23:44 AM »

Yeah, so I had another chat with my Doctor and he recommended going with LON with titanium nails. I even got him to tell me which companies made the fixators and nails, and there you all go:

NAILS - this one: https://www.biomecanica.com.br/solucoes-stars-orion-sp-femur/

FIXATORS - this one: https://www.selaz.com.br/fixador-externo-genesis/

The precise method is way too expensive and not really available here where I live.

Not sure why LON would be such an awful option, apparently most doctors use this method for femur lengthtening.

:D

kamaruusman

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 07:25:42 AM »

> Plus with femurs, you have no choice but to do it with internal nails

So there's no femur surgery without internal nails?

There are but any reputable doctors wouldn't advise that.

Unknown

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 07:29:39 AM »

Femurs have a lot of surrounding soft tissues, and its near your body parts where you do nature relief. It will be very difficult all things considered to do it. Any movement of your butt can cause immense pain. Tibias is more isolated below your knees, the pain can be better controlled as you dont always have to move your lower legs. Femurs you pretty much have constant movement wherever u shift.

DanishViking

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 12:30:13 PM »

DO NOT GO FOR TIBIA SURGERY. I will repeat myself! Complication rate for Tibia is higher no matter what other people are trying to tell you. Because of the alignment that easily can be screwed up between tibia and fibular espically if it is without a nail inside the bone. This can give you issues with walking without pain for the rest of your life, happens to many Tibia patients. Do you really wanna wear giant fixators for like 10 Months / 5 cm? Femurs heal faster, barely any chance of malalignment, and almost zero chance of you delevoping deep infections that can be deadly.

Summarize internal Femur: Safer, less complications, easier to hide, quickest. Almost any western doctor recommends internal femur over any external method including Rozbruch, Paley etc... And these are some of the best surgeons in the world!

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ALL! You doing this surgery to gain as much height as possible and with the femurs you can get up to 8 cm safely, where for the tibias only 5 cm safely. Most who go over gets into serious complications unless there starting height is like 173+ cm.

kamaruusman

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »

DO NOT GO FOR TIBIA SURGERY. I will repeat myself! Complication rate for Tibia is higher no matter what other people are trying to tell you. Because of the alignment that easily can be screwed up between tibia and fibular espically if it is without a nail inside the bone. This can give you issues with walking without pain for the rest of your life, happens to many Tibia patients. Do you really wanna wear giant fixators for like 10 Months / 5 cm? Femurs heal faster, barely any chance of malalignment, and almost zero chance of you delevoping deep infections that can be deadly.

Summarize internal Femur: Safer, less complications, easier to hide, quickest. Almost any western doctor recommends internal femur over any external method including Rozbruch, Paley etc... And these are some of the best surgeons in the world!

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ALL! You doing this surgery to gain as much height as possible and with the femurs you can get up to 8 cm safely, where for the tibias only 5 cm safely. Most who go over gets into serious complications unless there starting height is like 173+ cm.

PRECICE is the invention of Dr. Paley and he's the spokesperson of NuVasive. It's like his baby, it wouldn't make sense for him to admit that this method is more dangerous but it is. He intends to promote it as a revolutionary game-changer in the limb lengthening technology. He also earned more money doing this method and most importantly, this method is actually much easier to perform for any surgeon. That's why many doctors do it exclusively. External Lengthening is a pain in the ass for surgeons requiring them to be much more skilled to perform.

You mentioned that many tibia lengthening patients ended up with complications, but didn't specify which method they were using. From what I know, most if not all of the severely bad cases came from femoral lengthening patients like Unicorn.

Fair enough that femoral lengthening might give you more height even though most of patients didn't reach full 8 cm either. But tibial lengthening will most likely make you appear more aesthetic and taller.

By the way, which method did the Dr. Giotikas's patient who passed away did?

goingtall

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 02:15:57 AM »

thanks everyone for all the replies!

The day after tomorrow I have another appointment with a third Doctor. But I suspect he also does LON only. It's inevitable, apparently where I live it's the most widespread method and the method surgeons are most experienced.

Also, doing the tibias, in my case, is out of the question.

Doing it outside my country is too much of a risk. I wouldnt take it.

Guess Ill take my chances with LON, but let's see how the third appointment goes.

ballsackoffury123

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 07:32:19 AM »

Dude just search in the forum livelifetaller or femur lon complications and you’ll see why it’s not worth it. Yeah it’s much cheaper but the complication rate is way too high for infection. You literally have an open wound for months. Like save up and wait until you can get an internal nail for the femur. Like literally no western doctors even OFFERS it because all people do in USA is sue if things go wrong and it will shut down their business. They know that LON has stuff that they can’t always prevent and will destroy their practice. Turkey they don’t care, they just toss you away and those people are fked for years.
Yes there are cases of successful femur LON, and probably a majority too. But the complication rate is waaaay to high for it to be worth it.

For femur vs tibia, if you only intend on doing one,  chose femur. But if you wanna do both, that’s fine too.

Unknown

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 09:04:22 AM »

Dont listen to the nonsense, femurs is very invasive compared to the tibias although it recovers faster, it has a higher complication rate. Dont think of the pain difference as nothing, femurs is way more painful compared to tibias and it can affect the results. LON tibias is still very common.

Uchiha

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 09:29:12 AM »

femurs is very invasive compared to the tibias although it recovers faster, it has a higher complication rate. Dont think of the pain difference as nothing, femurs is way more painful compared to tibias and it can affect the results. LON tibias is still very common.
I agree.
LON Tibia With Dr. Mustafa Gökhan Bilgili
Diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=80803.0
Previous height 176
Reached height 182.5

DanishViking

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 12:33:59 PM »

Your arguments is all speculation, no facts... The death at Dr. Giotikas has nothing to do with the method. It is as likely to happen with tibia lengthening. Dr. Paley is the god of Limb lengthening, and has more experience than any other surgeon, so you clearly know nothing about, what your talking about. I don't agree with the fact that tibia surgery looks better. You look like a alien after tibia lengthening if you have the natural 0.8 Ratio to begin with, and you lengthen more than 5+ cm... Use logic man it brings you further in life...

DanishViking

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 12:38:57 PM »

And to you guys recommending tibia surgery with LON. Why does every single trustworthy experienced western surgeon recommend to stay away from both tibia lengthening and espically LON?

Who is more trustworthy? A couple of speculaters on this forum or pretty much all western experienced surgeons?

And again 10 months with terrible frames or 3 months of lengthening time with invisible nails inside of you, that will properly about 50% more length, which is the entire reason someone might do this.

But hey save the money do LON and come home with deep infection, malalignment and feel the pain and suffering because you want the "safe" and cheaper way. LMAO.

Werewolf

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 12:49:56 PM »

And to you guys recommending tibia surgery with LON. Why does every single trustworthy experienced western surgeon recommend to stay away from both tibia lengthening and espically LON?

Who is more trustworthy? A couple of speculaters on this forum or pretty much all western experienced surgeons?

And again 10 months with terrible frames or 3 months of lengthening time with invisible nails inside of you, that will properly about 50% more length, which is the entire reason someone might do this.

But hey save the money do LON and come home with deep infection, malalignment and feel the pain and suffering because you want the "safe" and cheaper way. LMAO.
Hey stupid viking btw 1.67 viking huh ??? I guess you don't have the money to have an operation on Paley? Dr Giotikas ? LMAO.
Btw are you a doctor ? Did you have surgery ? When you have surgery, prove it, then we take what you say seriously.
List of I fked :)
@Bukibuki - @Kanye Western - @DanishViking - @shortisnotfun - @EndGame - @ballsackoffury123

DanishViking

Werewolf

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 12:53:24 PM »

1. Yes before surgery if you have a proper doctor, they should give you some instructions for streching exercises.

2. Not sure about your question but only internal lengthening methods for femurs is safe. In generel LON is much more unsafe and almost all western surgeons don't recommend it for a reason...
you don't know   about western surgeons.
Also, you're not a doctor and you're not a patient, why are you talking? You have 18 posts
@Bukibuki - @Kanye Western - @DanishViking - @shortisnotfun - @EndGame - @ballsackoffury123

DanishViking

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2023, 12:55:10 PM »

Vikings back then in Denmark used to be 170 cm ;) Shaming other people when your short yourself is just pathetic. I have researched this topic for more than a year now, and will go with dr. Giotikas in the future when I have enough money cuz he has decades of experience and have the best price to value ratio. What about you, you haven't posted any evidence for your "facts" and doesn't seem to have gotten the surgery done either.... LOL

Werewolf

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2023, 12:55:42 PM »

Watch this and then come back and tell me that I'm wrong:
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=71235.msg221078#msg221078

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=78387.msg256048#msg256048
Halil buldu diaries seriously?

femur looks very nice LMAO

The person in the video had surgery on the butcher yuksel.
The cyborg doesn't say anything bad in the video. You are not a doctor, leave this job to specialists or those who have surgery. Please do it on the femur, lengthen 10 cm.

DanishViking

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2023, 01:00:50 PM »

It's just an example of a surgeon using LON for almost every procedure and how wrong it goes alot of the time. Do you watch alot of porn? hahaha When I open the link it send to some shady Porn site. It's individual how bad/good your propertions will look after surgery. Look at this guy doing tibia, he looks like a clown.

https://drpiliortopedico.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/PRIMA-E-DOPO-8-cm-1-mese-post-rimozione-11-mesi-post-op.jpg

Werewolf

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2023, 01:06:36 PM »

I don't agree with the fact that tibia surgery looks better. You look like a alien after tibia lengthening if you have the natural 0.8 Ratio
Another proportionally obsessed idiot. The truth is that the tibia looks more aesthetic than the femur. It is as real as evolution. It is as real as the law of gravity. Whether you accept it or not, this is the truth. Some people's femurs can be short, if they make the femur to equalize. also it's crazy to make a lon on the femur. It's not bad at all in the tibia. You didn't have surgery and you're nothing. You are a stupid viking 1.67 meters tall. Nobody cares about your opinions. You're not a doctor, you're not qualified, and you have no arguments. You're saying what you've heard. Don't believe everything you hear. Femurs ruin the human gait, you idiot. Takes longer to get better. Watch Cyborg4life's video on how femur lengthening can affect metabolism and about duck's butt.

https://ibb.co/0tQRF0c

Werewolf

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2023, 01:10:48 PM »

Do you watch alot of porn? hahaha When I open the link it send to some shady Porn site.
Yes, I love your viking mom's movies;D She was penalized especially when the femurs said less uncomplicated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up