Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Short Arm Body dismorphic disorder  (Read 4996 times)

ShortArm

Short Arm Body dismorphic disorder
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »

This is really hard topic for me. Before my puberty i had a symmetrical body. I knew that the only cause of my bullying was my wierd head shape. After puberty i ended up with short arms. I have never had the psychological strenght to accept this kind of change. So i ended up with a disorder visualizing my body. I can only check old phostos of me and get a relief..my body looks normal. Only that head is there that i can hide with a cap.

I know there is people in the forum with short arms. Ware you guys allways short armed or did it happen in some growth spurt? To be honest after puberty bullying was tough and also the back pain that i cant escape. It wont go away, because i cant try to keep back straight.

Some guys in the forum talk about you have to be okay with your short stature first. Then you can think about lenghtening. Do you guys have a problem about the shame that your body brings you inside? I can tell that is the one and most destroying thing to me.

For me many things are tolerable: one shoulder 2cm wider, wierd head shape, acne scars in face, bow legs, small genitales, small hands. These things make me suffer inside, but + arms are short...that just is one thing too mutch.

Johnson1111

Re: Short Arm Body dismorphic disorder
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »

This is really hard topic for me. Before my puberty i had a symmetrical body. I knew that the only cause of my bullying was my wierd head shape. After puberty i ended up with short arms. I have never had the psychological strenght to accept this kind of change. So i ended up with a disorder visualizing my body. I can only check old phostos of me and get a relief..my body looks normal. Only that head is there that i can hide with a cap.

I know there is people in the forum with short arms. Ware you guys allways short armed or did it happen in some growth spurt? To be honest after puberty bullying was tough and also the back pain that i cant escape. It wont go away, because i cant try to keep back straight.

Some guys in the forum talk about you have to be okay with your short stature first. Then you can think about lenghtening. Do you guys have a problem about the shame that your body brings you inside? I can tell that is the one and most destroying thing to me.

For me many things are tolerable: one shoulder 2cm wider, wierd head shape, acne scars in face, bow legs, small genitales, small hands. These things make me suffer inside, but + arms are short...that just is one thing too mutch.

I'm quite the opposite of you. I'm 5'7" but my wingspan in 6'4". I don't particularly like it myself but hopefully with LL I can maximize it and it will look better proportionally. My arms almost go down to my knees like I am an ape. On the upside, it had it's athletic advantages as I can dunk a basketball and was a high level athlete due in part to the long arms.

Anything down to -2 inches under your height is within acceptable average range. What are your proportions? Is it that bad? We are all very critical of ourselves and the more we read about perfection the worse we get.

I'm not perfect but definitely the most immediate deterrent is height as the average man my race and height is about 5'10.5" in the US. So i'd basically be doing LL to get to the average height. That is surely enough for me.

ShortArm

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »

Anything down to -2 inches under your height is within acceptable average range. What are your proportions? Is it that bad? We are all very critical of ourselves and the more we read about perfection the worse we get.

I hear and understand your situation too, both too short and too long arms look silly. My height is 178,5 and armspan is 175cm so its in the limit of 2inches. My problem is that i have also really wide shoulders so it makes my problem visible.

If you measure the middle part of your torso and legs. My fingertip is exacly at that point when i keep my arms tight to the body. Maybe 1cm over it to be exact.

myloginacc

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:35:09 AM »

I hear and understand your situation too, both too short and too long arms look silly. My height is 178,5 and armspan is 175cm so its in the limit of 2inches. My problem is that i have also really wide shoulders so it makes my problem visible.

If you measure the middle part of your torso and legs. My fingertip is exacly at that point when i keep my arms tight to the body. Maybe 1cm over it to be exact.

You're fine.

2 inches = 5.08cm.

-2 inches would be 173.42cm. And I don't know where Johnson picked the 2 inches figure from.

Multiple members here have stated that they have a wingspan 10cm (just under 4 inches - 3.937in) shorter than their own height.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Juiceslikewine

• Limb lengthening forums own lab rat :)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »

If having an inch less wingspan is you're biggest concern,you have nothing to worry about.Mines about 178cm at 178cm and looks proportional,don't see how an inch changes things.
Height:5'10 or 178cms
Ethnicity:white irish
Realistic height goal:5'11 or 180.5cm(Would be very content with this.

Johnson1111

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

You're fine.

2 inches = 5.08cm.

-2 inches would be 173.42cm. And I don't know where Johnson picked the 2 inches figure from.

Multiple members here have stated that they have a wingspan 10cm (just under 4 inches - 3.937in) shorter than their own height.

Isn't -2 to +5 normal range for wingspan? Not as far as aesthetics but as far as most likely to occur? Something along those lines? Yes there are people with -4 but they're not in the average group for wingspan. Those people are less common.

ramaka

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »

To be fair if it bothers you that much you could go for arm lengthening in your forearm or humerus it’s apparently less stress on the bones the leg lengthening is and can look good with 2-3 cm add unlike most people who get like 6-8 cm on their legs in one segment alone

ShortArm

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »

To be fair if it bothers you that much you could go for arm lengthening in your forearm or humerus it’s apparently less stress on the bones the leg lengthening is and can look good with 2-3 cm add unlike most people who get like 6-8 cm on their legs in one segment alone

Thanks for your reply, i have been intouch with couple of LL doctors. My main contact was with Dr. Pili. He assured me that 4-5cm would be possible, but my goal is just that 2-3cm to be conservative and to keep proportion. Now i have trird to be intouch with my countrys doctors. Seen 1 doc, who really had little experience on the matter. Fortunately he linked a guy in the capital city. This guy seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. I will have consultation after i recover from the last consultation that was not a success.

But in my case think about a guy whos head is seriously size xl and it looks portionate, because of the wide shoulders. That is the only good thing about armspan in the shoulders. I have short humerus, so i think the lenghtening would just leave scarring i think i can live with.

I respect you guys for trying to make me feel better, thanks!

RaaX

• FitMiscer/Lookismer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »

Thanks for your reply, i have been intouch with couple of LL doctors. My main contact was with Dr. Pili. He assured me that 4-5cm would be possible, but my goal is just that 2-3cm to be conservative and to keep proportion. Now i have trird to be intouch with my countrys doctors. Seen 1 doc, who really had little experience on the matter. Fortunately he linked a guy in the capital city. This guy seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. I will have consultation after i recover from the last consultation that was not a success.

But in my case think about a guy whos head is seriously size xl and it looks portionate, because of the wide shoulders. That is the only good thing about armspan in the shoulders. I have short humerus, so i think the lenghtening would just leave scarring i think i can live with.

Can you provide a pic? i honestly believe you're exaggerating it.
175 arms on a 178 height does not look bad.
Ethnicity: shetskin paki
Height: 177.5cm
Wish: 184-186cm(studies have shown taller people succeed more often than short/average people)
Age as of 30th may 2018: 23

myloginacc

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »

Isn't -2 to +5 normal range for wingspan? Not as far as aesthetics but as far as most likely to occur? Something along those lines? Yes there are people with -4 but they're not in the average group for wingspan. Those people are less common.

Well, I don't know. Where did you get your figure from?
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Juiceslikewine

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »

How broad are we talking 19 inches 20 inches anything below 20 at 5'10 isn't exactly broad,also how big is your head in circumference?

ShortArm

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »

Bit of more info, but i dont wanna post a picture of me..Its just a bit too mutch.

My head circumference is 20,5 cm
My shoulder width is around 53,5cm

Juiceslikewine

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »

Bit of more info, but i dont wanna post a picture of me..Its just a bit too mutch.

My head circumference is 20,5 cm
My shoulder width is around 53,5cm

That's pretty broad assuming you measured delt to delt and not against the wall,for your head size you must either mean inches or forehead width,even 20 inches is a very small for an adult head.

ShortArm

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »

Now i just feel stupid about what info i wrote last reply...I was so uncofortable about the matter.

Head circumference: 60.5 cm.
My shoulder width was against the wall. Side to side about 53.5cm. Deltoid to deltoid propably a bit less, but its hard to measure alone.

Juiceslikewine

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 03:31:32 AM »

Now i just feel stupid about what info i wrote last reply...I was so uncofortable about the matter.

Head circumference: 60.5 cm.
My shoulder width was against the wall. Side to side about 53.5cm. Deltoid to deltoid propably a bit less, but its hard to measure alone.

Yea your head is pretty big,but so was mike tysons at the same height,he also had a similar wingspan also maybe you should have got into boxing lol.I actually remeasured my wingspan at 183cm at your height and i can tell they would look pretty short at 175cms,it's your call but if i was you i'd look at the positives,you're not short you have a pretty wide structure and your heads big but that's a positive imo,unless ridiculously huge.   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:54:14 AM by Juiceslikewine »

ShortArm

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

Yup, you got it. I think at 181 my arms would be about "normal". I kind of know the positives, but its just so hard to accept this kind of change in the body.

Mike tyson has a bit longer arms than me...even hes arms dont look too long. I found somewhere that hes armspan was about 1-2cm longer than hes height. Am i wrong?

Juiceslikewine

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »

Yup, you got it. I think at 181 my arms would be about "normal". I kind of know the positives, but its just so hard to accept this kind of change in the body.

Mike tyson has a bit longer arms than me...even hes arms dont look too long. I found somewhere that hes armspan was about 1-2cm longer than hes height. Am i wrong?

I've just done some digging and his wingspan is 181cms apparently,i guess his arms were short only compared to other heavyweights,honestly assuming the risks are worth it to you i'd lengthen to 181, then you're completely proportional and can move on with your life.

ShortArm

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »

I've just done some digging and his wingspan is 181cms apparently,i guess his arms were short only compared to other heavyweights,honestly assuming the risks are worth it to you i'd lengthen to 181, then you're completely proportional and can move on with your life.

Thanks for your last reply. I think that i am prepared for some setbacks about the treatment. I was a exremely competitive athlete when i was younger. So i can say that losing some physical ability is something i had to accept about the treatment. I seoriously know that i am gonna loose some to gain some. That is part of the deal.

But i feel in the end just like that: Go trough this rough treatment and move on with my life.

myloginacc

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 09:52:11 AM »

Thanks for your last reply. I think that i am prepared for some setbacks about the treatment. I was a exremely competitive athlete when i was younger. So i can say that losing some physical ability is something i had to accept about the treatment. I seoriously know that i am gonna loose some to gain some. That is part of the deal.

But i feel in the end just like that: Go trough this rough treatment and move on with my life.

Are both of your arms short, in you opinion? Your username is not plural, so...

From the stats you posted, they're really not. But if it's just one of them, humerus lengthening is considered the easiest form of LL, as far as I've read in published papers. Only one of them shouldn't be much of a problem, when compared to legs.

My arms are shorter than my height by a larger margin than they are for you, by the way. No one has ever said or pointed out anything. They don't stand out, either. They just don't look long.

ShortArm

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »

Are both of your arms short, in you opinion? Your username is not plural, so...

From the stats you posted, they're really not. But if it's just one of them, humerus lengthening is considered the easiest form of LL, as far as I've read in published papers. Only one of them shouldn't be much of a problem, when compared to legs.

My arms are shorter than my height by a larger margin than they are for you, by the way. No one has ever said or pointed out anything. They don't stand out, either. They just don't look long.

I am happy to hear about someone, who has not been bullied about short arms. I have been bullied after age 13-14 and it never has stopped. My both arms are short, not only one arm. I have talked about my shame in therapy, but it has not changed the feeling inside, when i look in the mirror.

I do know that there are people with a even shorter arms..so i am not saying my situation is the worst in the world. I am saying that this bugs me and has bugged since my teen age..After 14 i have not felt comfortable close to mirrors.

myloginacc

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »

I am happy to hear about someone, who has not been bullied about short arms. I have been bullied after age 13-14 and it never has stopped. My both arms are short, not only one arm. I have talked about my shame in therapy, but it has not changed the feeling inside, when i look in the mirror.

I do know that there are people with a even shorter arms..so i am not saying my situation is the worst in the world. I am saying that this bugs me and has bugged since my teen age..After 14 i have not felt comfortable close to mirrors.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear it. I guess posting a picture here is almost impossible for you, right?

In my mind, it can't be that bad. It's just a 3cm difference. It seems - to me - to be more of a long lasting result of the bullying you went through. :(

ShortArm

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »

Ah, I'm sorry to hear it. I guess posting a picture here is almost impossible for you, right?

In my mind, it can't be that bad. It's just a 3cm difference. It seems - to me - to be more of a long lasting result of the bullying you went through. :(

I will try to be brave and post a picture, but it is kind of tough for me. I have a feeling its part of both and the problem is that you cant take back what you learn about you from your enviroment. If it would be smart i would take 5cm to both arms, but that is just too big of a risk. My goal is only bring back the proportion i had before teen age.

Did your arms stop growing in some growth spurt or ware you always short armed? If it makes any difference i come also from a long legged and long armed family. Including uncles, aunts, cousins. My mom looks basically like a spider. Dad has a bit short legs, but a normal armspan.

myloginacc

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 01:45:42 AM »

I will try to be brave and post a picture, but it is kind of tough for me. I have a feeling its part of both and the problem is that you cant take back what you learn about you from your enviroment. If it would be smart i would take 5cm to both arms, but that is just too big of a risk. My goal is only bring back the proportion i had before teen age.

Did your arms stop growing in some growth spurt or ware you always short armed? If it makes any difference i come also from a long legged and long armed family. Including uncles, aunts, cousins. My mom looks basically like a spider. Dad has a bit short legs, but a normal armspan.

My limbs are weird, in general.

I have a leg length discrepancy that I need to check with x-rays, and I might about it on the forums. It was bigger than I anticipated.

I never paid attention to my arms' growth, so I can't help there... but my mother is also "short-limbed". She's all torso, with short limbs.

To be fair, if I was extremely rich, and I could know exactly how much humeri lengthening affects its ability to develop muscle and function normally, maybe I'd give it a shot. I also feel that, unlike legs, you don't need a lot of lengthening. However, of course, that's more of a daydreaming thing than anything. Legs are by far my priority.

ShortArm

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »

Here is a link to a photo i took from my self: https://photos.app.goo.gl/m1JMFuqPV26Hy4fc8

I can tell you guys it was not easy at all...I have felt the shame about my arms not portionate for so long...Its actually paiful for me to see the photo.

myloginacc

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 09:54:05 PM »

Looks like a normal arm for a non-black to me (blacks have longer arms). It reaches your pelvis; that's pretty much the standard to not be considered short-armed.

I think you just might have slightly longer forearms than typical, so it gives you the impression your arm is shorter than it actually is.

I appreciate your courage in posting it here. I hope you can get this issue out of your head. Your arms are only 3cm under your own height! Totally normal.

Great321

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 10:10:33 PM »

shortarm your picture looks totally normal to me

Juiceslikewine

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »

Here is a link to a photo i took from my self: https://photos.app.goo.gl/m1JMFuqPV26Hy4fc8

I can tell you guys it was not easy at all...I have felt the shame about my arms not portionate for so long...Its actually paiful for me to see the photo.

Looks slightly on the short side,but nothing out of the ordinary,although i could imagine it would look shorter from a frontal view,maybe take a picture from the front as well.

ShortArm

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 06:32:19 PM »

It took me couple of days to come back on the matter. I see the same things that you guys see kind of. I think the last reply was closest what i see too. I feel the humerus is a bit short compared and that makes the forearm look longer. Small hands dont help either with the armspan.

The front or behind picture looks a bit worse and that i cant post. Even there is only 3cm from equal to height i think the average for me armspan is about 6cm away. So 2-3cm lenghtening would bring back the proportion of before last growth spurts. I think also 2-3cm would help out about keeping my back straight, what has been a issue with me after my teen age.

But i wanna thank you from your comments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:56:22 PM by ShortArm »

Juiceslikewine

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 11:46:43 PM »

It took me couple of days to come back on the matter. I see the same things that you guys see kind of. I think the last reply was closest what i see too. I feel the humerus is a bit short compared and that makes the forearm look longer. Small hands dont help either with the armspan.

The front or behind picture looks a bit worse and that i cant post. Even there is only 3cm from equal to height i think the average for me armspan is about 6cm away. So 2-3cm lenghtening would bring back the proportion of before last growth spurts. I think also 2-3cm would help out about keeping my back straight, what has been a issue with me after my teen age.

But i wanna thank you from your comments.

You look well proportioned other than your arms,i agree that you should probably go ahead with the surgery,as this clearly impacts your day to day life.

dan56

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 05:56:38 AM »

your arms are definitley not short and looks fine even i would have say they are a little long on the good side...
probably your measurements inaccurate.
and even if they are accurate your arms looks ok defintley not the case for arm lengthnening.
I woud say though that sometimes people who are not skinny looks like their arms are short beacuse their body is a little bigger.

English isn't my native language. Please feel free when you quote me to add a footnote with correction. Tnx

ShortArm

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 11:14:22 PM »

your arms are definitley not short and looks fine even i would have say they are a little long on the good side...
probably your measurements inaccurate.
and even if they are accurate your arms looks ok defintley not the case for arm lengthnening.
I woud say though that sometimes people who are not skinny looks like their arms are short beacuse their body is a little bigger.

I thank you and the rest of guys being supportive. I wanna ask in comparison to this guy: https://goo.gl/images/pW3e9b close or similar proportion in arms to body as me? In my mind thr proporton is close to mine.

Here is a guy whose arms are clearly short and in my mind this is the worst scenario. https://goo.gl/images/T6e4Jo in hes situation i woukd do my all to correct the proportion. With so short arms your back would be seriously taking some damage..at least my does.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up