Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: if I do 6 cm tibia with paley using stride - will I be able to walk in 4 weeks?  (Read 1687 times)

if I do 6 cm tibia with paley using stride - will I be able to walk in 4 weeks and go to office 4 weeks after surgery and lengthen and consolidate at home? thanks

FormerKidd

Even with Stryde, you will have to lengthen and do PT/stretch multiple times a day, plus deal with all the pain and aching that comes along with it.   I would not assume that you will be able to work a job while doing this.

As for Paley, do note that IIRC he generally does not permit tibias beyond 5cm, and does not permit lengthening at home in 99% of cases.

I don't know about walking.

Even with Stryde, you will have to lengthen and do PT/stretch multiple times a day, plus deal with all the pain and aching that comes along with it.   I would not assume that you will be able to work a job while doing this.

As for Paley, do note that IIRC he generally does not permit tibias beyond 5cm, and does not permit lengthening at home in 99% of cases.

OK, so the stryde was unnecessarily hyped then, it does not offer any material benefit

Johnson1111

OK, so the stryde was unnecessarily hyped then, it does not offer any material benefit

Seems like it's best used as a good back-up if you're having minor complications. Where if bone isn't consolidating as fast as you'd like, instead of having to wait that extra time to walk, you'll be able to weight bear when the wounds are closed etc.

Barring everything goes well with precise 2.2 i'd say it's not worth it as much yeah. You cannot really pre-gaurentee a great lengthening and consolidation though so it's a good bulletproof vest to have.

Just my 2 cents

Purushrottam

The only case I know of when Paley allowed someone to lengthen from home was when Hirrucane Irma (? Or some other major hurricane in 2017) was approaching Florida and there was a legit chance of losing electricity for over a week. One of the patients had fast bone healing so one week w.o lengthening would have prematurely consolidated his bones. That patient was allowed to lengthen at home for a week. Otherwise no exceptions.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

FormerKidd

No, with Stryde, the rods in the tibia would be strong enough for most to stand and walk sooner, although it's not clear how much sooner -- could vary based on patient and doctor.  Not a lot of data points yet.

Remember, there's 3 main phases to this, before most people move on with their lives:
1. Surgery (~1 week)
2. Lengthening (2-3 months)
3. Initial Consolidation (1-2 months)

For many Stryde patients, I believe they may be able to go about their day-to-day life towards the beginning of that third phase rather than the end.  That's potentially a huge improvement.

Android

Regaining independence so quickly is worth the little extra over Precice 2.2. It's only like $5000 more wasn't it? Not a bad investment if you're paying that much for Precice anyway.

I suggest you read OverrideYourGenetics' diary, he got to meet a Stryde patient first-hand.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Regaining independence so quickly is worth the little extra over Precice 2.2. It's only like $5000 more wasn't it? Not a bad investment if you're paying that much for Precice anyway.

I suggest you read OverrideYourGenetics' diary, he got to meet a Stryde patient first-hand.

Independence is getting to keep your job without needing to quit for LL, independence is beign able to go back to work and lengthen at home without being confined to florida - Stryde is not providing any independence on that respect, it is just providing some additional walking ability.

Android

I suppose we have differing definitions. To me that's a bit more than independence, what you're describing sounds like a recovered person. Independence to me is being able to get around on your own without having to rely on others so much. Have you read fallen's diary? He went back to work quite quickly, and while he was physically present, he was less than mentally ready to be productive.

The benefit would be that you'd be able to participate in more strenuous physical therapy quicker, perhaps leading to faster recovery overall. I'm sure it's big motivational boost as well, to be able to walk so much sooner. Eliminating the risk of nail breakage is also a plus.

And just because a nail can hold more weight doesn't change the rest of the procedure. It's tough, invasive, painful, and you shouldn't rush it. LL is nothing like a nose job even with Stryde, but it's the best we've got for now. If Dr. Paley was my doctor, I wouldn't think twice.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

myloginacc

Independence is getting to keep your job without needing to quit for LL, independence is beign able to go back to work and lengthen at home without being confined to florida - Stryde is not providing any independence on that respect, it is just providing some additional walking ability.

Well, this is a very major surgery, with major risks. And look at some anecdotes we had posted on the forums about some external patients.

Quote from: Android's Diary
The doctor also shared stories of non-compliant patients, like a person who flew home one day post-op (!) and decided to lengthen 3 mm a day (!) because he was in a hurry. In the end the doctors were able to help him to recovery, but it was a tough one. Another patient lengthened 13 cm on his femurs and 7 cm on his tibias. Again, very tough recovery, and having joint problems.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

myloginacc

These are just ones that I remember, since Android's diary is extremely recent.

I'm pretty certain I've read as crazy stories about other people who flew back home and lengthened on their own here in the forums.

[...]

Maybe you should consider unilateral?

I think the only LLers I can remember who went back to work were Key and Fivetenneeded. Key was doing unilateral Precice.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

taller_in_Kiev

• Put your energy to good uses. Don't waste it.

I'd say no chance!!  Why have you decided on Paley, may I ask?  Geographical convenience?

I'd say no chance!!  Why have you decided on Paley, may I ask?  Geographical convenience?

Thanks, I have not decided yet, the reason I asked Paley is because - I do not want to leave my job (because I am on h1b visa, if I leave the job it will be end of my career in the US) so I wanted to check even with best doctor around, best frame around is there a way to do the LL without quitting job. Maybe a better question to ask would be - is there any way I can return to work in 1 month (post surgery) and lengthen and consolidate at home.

FormerKidd

Maybe a better question to ask would be - is there any way I can return to work in 1 month (post surgery) and lengthen and consolidate at home.

Even if you find a doctor that lets you, I would not count on this.  The process is time-consuming and the pain often gets in the way of concentration.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:21:19 AM by FormerKidd »
Pages: [1]   Go Up