Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs & Tibias with Dr Paley  (Read 110270 times)

MirinHeight

Re: Femurs & Tibias with Dr Paley
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:21 PM »

hey MrEvolution,
is your walking gait improving or is it still similar to the video you posted.

Thanks!
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MyEvolution

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »

Everything else is good still lenginging
I am using crutches to balance my walking because without crutches I sway too much
Apparently i’ll be moving to only a cane very soon i’ll let you guys know when that happens officially
In terms of the nail i believe i have the smallest one? My follow up appointment is october 17th that’s when I can ask. I do know that my nails can weight bear 200lb/leg based on the nail I have
I am currently 155lb (lost 6lb after surgery)

cool

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2018, 01:59:08 AM »

I am using crutches to balance my walking because without crutches I sway too much
Apparently i’ll be moving to only a cane very soon i’ll let you guys know when that happens officially
In terms of the nail i believe i have the smallest one? My follow up appointment is october 17th that’s when I can ask. I do know that my nails can weight bear 200lb/leg based on the nail I have

Nice bro. Please post your x-ray pics if you can.
8)

MyEvolution

« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2018, 12:58:57 PM »

I’ll have X ray pics oct17th for yall

GOOD NEWS: for the first time I FINALLY slept 7 hours!! I can confirm that the Tremadol Tylenol combo works :)  I also got some work done last night as well. My goal is to earn half the surgery cost back within the next 3 months which is super possible for me

TinyTL

« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »

Comforting to hear! carry on son

champion90

« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »

I’ll have X ray pics oct17th for yall

GOOD NEWS: for the first time I FINALLY slept 7 hours!! I can confirm that the Tremadol Tylenol combo works :)  I also got some work done last night as well. My goal is to earn half the surgery cost back within the next 3 months which is super possible for me

I too weigh 155 lbr 71 kg .. sorry but what the hell do you do to be able to recover half the costs in just 3 months? I have to turn on a mortgage and go to Giotikas which is much cheaper than XDXD
in any case, the speech Stryde very comforting because it is what I will undertake .. but are you alone or do you have an assistant?

MyEvolution

« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »

I too weigh 155 lbr 71 kg .. sorry but what the hell do you do to be able to recover half the costs in just 3 months? I have to turn on a mortgage and go to Giotikas which is much cheaper than XDXD
in any case, the speech Stryde very comforting because it is what I will undertake .. but are you alone or do you have an assistant?

Youtube
So I convinved my friend to come hangout with me in WPB for 1.5months
I paid for his flight he said he was down
Care taker woulda been like 10,000 USD for 3 weeks & honestly you only really need them for a week. After that it’s more like convenience.

So.. Because I have stryde & can actually walk around, i’ve been using Tinder & Bumble to meet some girls; 3 months is a long time!
I’ll be meeting up with 2 girls this saturday (with my friend) & we are going out. I told her i’d be on crutches or a cane as to not be a catfish, she doesn’t seem to mind. I told her I fell on my hip & gotta use it to balance my walking for a little bit. I’m REALLY nervous but we’ll see what happens!!

4cms

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2018, 04:49:50 AM »

Hey mate , im about to go in for my second surgery in 2 hours.
I have already done 6cms tibias. ( give or take 0.5 cms ) in 2012
Not sure how many cms you're at now , but i can tell you as being  previously 5'4 that past 6cms on tibs is too much you will definitely have some loss of ROM im movement such as squats , sitting on the floor will change things like that. if you want to sit on the floor getting up changes and starts to take abit more effort. Now these are things that happen before 6.5cms on tibias. I had my friend Sweden who done 7cms that took 2 years or more to recover he also tells me hes not the same.
My advice to 6cm on femurs and max 6cms on tibias. Right now you're just thinking about height but if you consider other factors such as recovery and Natural movements that you will hinder you may want to take a slightly more conservative approach.

MyEvolution

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »

Hey mate , im about to go in for my second surgery in 2 hours.
I have already done 6cms tibias. ( give or take 0.5 cms ) in 2012
Not sure how many cms you're at now , but i can tell you as being  previously 5'4 that past 6cms on tibs is too much you will definitely have some loss of ROM im movement such as squats , sitting on the floor will change things like that. if you want to sit on the floor getting up changes and starts to take abit more effort. Now these are things that happen before 6.5cms on tibias. I had my friend Sweden who done 7cms that took 2 years or more to recover he also tells me hes not the same.
My advice to 6cm on femurs and max 6cms on tibias. Right now you're just thinking about height but if you consider other factors such as recovery and Natural movements that you will hinder you may want to take a slightly more conservative approach.

I see what you’re saying.. yes you’re right only thing I care about is milking the most height possible! What would you say the max length to gain from tibs before loss of normal function sets in, 6.5cm? If so i’ll cap it at that
Cause if i’m starting at 163cm & doing 8cm on femurs + 6-6.5cm on tibs that’s 177-177.5cm after = 5’9.7 - 5’9.9 which pretty much is 5’10 which is my goal so i’d be happy stopping there!

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »

Youtube
So I convinved my friend to come hangout with me in WPB for 1.5months
I paid for his flight he said he was down
Care taker woulda been like 10,000 USD for 3 weeks & honestly you only really need them for a week. After that it’s more like convenience.

So.. Because I have stryde & can actually walk around, i’ve been using Tinder & Bumble to meet some girls; 3 months is a long time!
I’ll be meeting up with 2 girls this saturday (with my friend) & we are going out. I told her i’d be on crutches or a cane as to not be a catfish, she doesn’t seem to mind. I told her I fell on my hip & gotta use it to balance my walking for a little bit. I’m REALLY nervous but we’ll see what happens!!

Care taker 3 weeks=10,000 usd? Seriously .It s a ton of money.I dont think this cost is correct.

Trevor.P

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2018, 11:07:39 PM »

Hello MyEvolution, what are you doing?
I'm thinking of doing exactly what you're doing but with less elongation ...
Where do you have the cuts of the scars tell us a little more friend.
Did Paley tell you anything about the decompression of the peroneal nerve?
Something about Achilles tendon?
The liberation of the iliotibial band?

I see that questions about what to do to not lose mobility and other ... I would not spend in your place of 6 cm in femur and 4-5 cm in warm ... For a centimeter more than you have in a medical staging you can fk all and in real life 1 or 2 centimeters are not appreciable.

I personally think about 3 cm in femur and 3 cm in warm ... But I do high risk sports and marathons and similar careers

MyEvolution

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »

Hello MyEvolution, what are you doing?
I'm thinking of doing exactly what you're doing but with less elongation ...
Where do you have the cuts of the scars tell us a little more friend.
Did Paley tell you anything about the decompression of the peroneal nerve?
Something about Achilles tendon?
The liberation of the iliotibial band?

I see that questions about what to do to not lose mobility and other ... I would not spend in your place of 6 cm in femur and 4-5 cm in warm ... For a centimeter more than you have in a medical staging you can fk all and in real life 1 or 2 centimeters are not appreciable.

I personally think about 3 cm in femur and 3 cm in warm ... But I do high risk sports and marathons and similar careers

Ya personally im not interested in being a marathon runner. That being said though Paley is very strict on NOT trading function for height so unless my body can successfuly tolerate it & not lose function, he will not let me lengthen more

I met a patient yesterday who did 8cm in femurs & 6cm in tibias & he looks amazing! That’s my goal i’m sticking to it

XEN

• Visitor
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2018, 03:04:11 AM »

Ya personally im not interested in being a marathon runner. That being said though Paley is very strict on NOT trading function for height so unless my body can successfuly tolerate it & not lose function, he will not let me lengthen more

I met a patient yesterday who did 8cm in femurs & 6cm in tibias & he looks amazing! That’s my goal i’m sticking to it

Can you tell us more about that patient? Age? gender? does he/she practice yoga and has good flexibility? Precice Stryde patient too?

Good luck in your journey bro.

TinyTL

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2018, 03:45:46 PM »

MyEvolution, I know you take your weight bearing for granted but or some of us who are not used to weight bearing precice nail, can you please write more about what you can do and what you can not?
you are the first Stryde diary on this forum  ;D

Are you reliant on house help to get things done? How much do you walk with or without crutches? do you drive car?

consideringheavily

• Visitor
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »

MrEvolution,

We have the same height and body weight. I am heavily considering to do this procedure as well.
I work as a software engineer, so working remotely wouldn't be a problem for me either!  :)

My apologies for the bombardment of questions, but I feel this would help us better understand your experience and possibly influence our decision as well!

What was your total cost for this procedure excluding rooming,food, etc?

Did Paley mention about being able to lift weights after a certain period of time?

Why did he do the femur first and not the tibia? Was this your preference?

What about running?

What warnings did Paley give you about doing this procedure? Especially considering you aspire to go 13 cm in additional length.

What are the long term consequences? Can the bones potentially break at some point? Suppose 3 years down the line you were jogging and made a huge jump... is that a risk?

Pilor

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2018, 03:49:14 AM »

A video of your current walking would say more than words ever could.

Keep safe!

Ascending

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »

Hi MyEvolution, were you able to find out about your nail size on the 17th?

MyEvolution

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2018, 05:57:11 AM »

MrEvolution,

We have the same height and body weight. I am heavily considering to do this procedure as well.
I work as a software engineer, so working remotely wouldn't be a problem for me either!  :)

My apologies for the bombardment of questions, but I feel this would help us better understand your experience and possibly influence our decision as well!

What was your total cost for this procedure excluding rooming,food, etc?

Did Paley mention about being able to lift weights after a certain period of time?

Why did he do the femur first and not the tibia? Was this your preference?

What about running?

What warnings did Paley give you about doing this procedure? Especially considering you aspire to go 13 cm in additional length.

What are the long term consequences? Can the bones potentially break at some point? Suppose 3 years down the line you were jogging and made a huge jump... is that a risk?

UPDATES:
Been slightly MIA for a while, ive been working full time + focusing on recovery alot, things are going well but I figured id update the community since i remember being on the opposite side of this

I’m gonna try to answer as many questions aa possible

Total cost: $97,500 (Surgery cost, 10,000 is paid as a deposit to secure surgery date & the remaining $87,500 is dud 2 weeks pre surgery. I recommend paying this asap as my bank took almost 2 weeks to send it!)

A member from this community PM’ed me so we can do this together; that being said lodging is split by 50%
I got a suit at HomeWood suites for $84/night (USD) using PALEY discount. This includes daily tranfer to & from Paley hospital for physio
Breakfast buffet everyday (includes eggs, waffles, pankcakes etc)
Light dinner (includes small dinner items, havnt tried it yet we r moving in on friday, to be updated)
Pool access
Gym access (small hotel gym)
Total: $6600 USD roughly 2 months (oct22-dec29)
Split by 2 so I paid $3300

Pain Killers
I paid $90 so far on painkillers (tremadol which im out of & oxy which i dont use but have a supply  of); i’m off painkillers atm just using tylenol pm

That covers most of the financials

I havnt asked about lifting weights yet

NAIL - I have a 13 size nail, said it was biggest one, they used it cause it fit. That was the rational

Femurs 1st then Tibias
- i didnt do them at same time because doing so limits total length gained (cant do 14cm as body cant properly tolerate that without loss of function
- Femurs first to max 8cm, then tibs to max 6cm
- maybe coulda done tibias first but femurs are more gaurnteed to get 8cm without loss of function as it seems like everyone has successfully done it.
6cm in tibias is a good case scenario but definately doable without loss of functions so im gonna stick to
8+6cm for 14cm

The new bone generated from surgery after consolodation is no different than the bone in the rest of your leg. It is just as strong & will not suddenly break. I asked this as well,

At this point ive regained a lot of flexibility in the motion of knee bending & movement but not at 100% yet

Lmk what other updates yall want :)

Pilor

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »

How much did aou lengthen so far? And please, please post a video of your walking :)

Ascending

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »

Hi MyEvolution, thanks for your update and for answering the question about the nail size.

consideringheavily

• Visitor
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2018, 01:49:47 AM »

UPDATES:
Been slightly MIA for a while, ive been working full time + focusing on recovery alot, things are going well but I figured id update the community since i remember being on the opposite side of this

I’m gonna try to answer as many questions aa possible

Total cost: $97,500 (Surgery cost, 10,000 is paid as a deposit to secure surgery date & the remaining $87,500 is dud 2 weeks pre surgery. I recommend paying this asap as my bank took almost 2 weeks to send it!)

A member from this community PM’ed me so we can do this together; that being said lodging is split by 50%
I got a suit at HomeWood suites for $84/night (USD) using PALEY discount. This includes daily tranfer to & from Paley hospital for physio
Breakfast buffet everyday (includes eggs, waffles, pankcakes etc)
Light dinner (includes small dinner items, havnt tried it yet we r moving in on friday, to be updated)
Pool access
Gym access (small hotel gym)
Total: $6600 USD roughly 2 months (oct22-dec29)
Split by 2 so I paid $3300

Pain Killers
I paid $90 so far on painkillers (tremadol which im out of & oxy which i dont use but have a supply  of); i’m off painkillers atm just using tylenol pm

That covers most of the financials

I havnt asked about lifting weights yet

NAIL - I have a 13 size nail, said it was biggest one, they used it cause it fit. That was the rational

Femurs 1st then Tibias
- i didnt do them at same time because doing so limits total length gained (cant do 14cm as body cant properly tolerate that without loss of function
- Femurs first to max 8cm, then tibs to max 6cm
- maybe coulda done tibias first but femurs are more gaurnteed to get 8cm without loss of function as it seems like everyone has successfully done it.
6cm in tibias is a good case scenario but definately doable without loss of functions so im gonna stick to
8+6cm for 14cm

The new bone generated from surgery after consolodation is no different than the bone in the rest of your leg. It is just as strong & will not suddenly break. I asked this as well,

At this point ive regained a lot of flexibility in the motion of knee bending & movement but not at 100% yet

Lmk what other updates yall want :)

This is an amazing response. Thank you!

I have some more questions (if you don't mind)

**Since you're doing the procedure again for tibs, would it also cost an additional $97,500?

**That's a relief with the bone! Now what about the muscle? Your legs will have grown by 8cm -> soon to be 14 cm. Wouldn't this stretch out? Wouldn't this affect your joints etc? What did Paley say about this?

**How will your proportions work in the future knowing that you are doing a 14 cm increase? Does Paley warn you against looking potentially a bit odd with long legs and shorter arms?

**If you ever have time to ask Paley about the lifting weights thing that'd be great.

**How does growth work? Do you you grow "x" amount of mm per day? When do you stop growing.

Again thank you. Your diary is amazing.

MirinHeight

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

can we please see video of your walk now!
Thank you
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MyEvolution

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »

UPDATES along with some questions answers:
- it’s been exactly 31 days since my surgery! At this point ive lengthened almost 2cm i believe. We lengthen 1mm/day, started lengthening october1st (Maybe im past2cm i havnt actually measured yet)
-I have transitioned to a Cane 2 days ago so i’m off crutches!! My walk is improving very well will post a video soon for yall along with Xrays
- I can also FINALLY sleep on my sides again!! This has dramatically improved my sleeping & now I feel like my quality of life is pretty much back to normal/good
- my personal weakness is in my right hip, it’s much weaker than my left for some reason. Once that’s back to normal strength my walk will be normal again

Notes:
- when you come do this surgery don’t think of it as a 3 month sacrafice, think of it as 1 month honestly. Cause the first week was easy, second week was an absolute hell nighmare, end of 3rd week got easier & by the 4th week I have no more real pain!

Some answers:
- i havnt measured my wingspan (not sure how) but my friend who’s 5’9.5 has only half an inch more of reach than me & i’m 5’5 now so when I lengthen to 14-16cm I think i’ll be fine proportions wise
- you cant lift weights until bone fully consolidate
-Yes your muscles & nerves & everything stretch but that’s why we are required to stretch 3-4times daily for 45mins-1hr each

totallyred

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »

Have you done IT release survey?

MyEvolution

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »

Yes, Paley now automatically always does an IT band release.

Okay SO.. i’m beginning to plan for my part2 surgery. I feel like at this point the lengthening process is super easy (besides the nuiance of stretching everyday but nbd)

I am currently looking for another person who is looking to do their surgery so we can do it at the same time. I will most likely be able to find a cheap caretaker for the both of us + we can split the Homewood suite rate which should be around $84/night.

If you are looking to do your surgery sometime between April-August LMK or PM me as im looking for a partner. I have a good amount of experience so at this time around I know what to expect. I’ll be 25 so hopefully someone around my age range but doesn’t 100% matter

By next Saturday I will be 50% done femurs!!
Lets goooo :)

Pilor

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »

Hi my friend,

You sound incredible excited, and looks like the lengthened does not impact your lifestyle negatively.

Are you able to share a video of your walking?

totallyred

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »

Thanks. But ain't there any complications arising out of this IT band release. I also read recently that Betz did not do the surgery in the diary "reaching new heights with Betz 2018" and he streched his IT band without IT band release surgery, so why go for IT band release surgery initially itself, when it may not be needed at all.

If you could get inputs from Paley regarding :
https://www.regenexx.com/blog/research/itb-release-surgery---what-orthopedic-surgeons-wont-tell-you/

Then it would be great.

Thanks again..

TemakiSushi

« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »

Thanks. But ain't there any complications arising out of this IT band release. I also read recently that Betz did not do the surgery in the diary "reaching new heights with Betz 2018" and he streched his IT band without IT band release surgery, so why go for IT band release surgery initially itself, when it may not be needed at all.

If you could get inputs from Paley regarding :
https://www.regenexx.com/blog/research/itb-release-surgery---what-orthopedic-surgeons-wont-tell-you/

Then it would be great.

Thanks again..

This article is about ITBand release without lengthening
Thus irrelevant to CLL
When bone is lengthened better to release ITB to lessen tension otherwise many get wide legs or duck ass, even if these symptoms get better, there will be higher risk of arthritis, knee problems
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

totallyred

« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »

Okay but still I wanna know if there are any negative complications of IT band release...

MyEvolution

« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2018, 11:30:23 PM »

According to Paley, he said that in all the cases they’ve released IT band, 1 year later the IT band was 100% healed and back to normal, therefore they dont experience complications

Pilor

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »

Did Dr. Paley release your IT-Band right during the lengthening surgery? Or weeks/months afterwards?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up