Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123584 times)

InFullStryde

Thankyou so much, I will start this program today, I just want to improve this flexibility as I understand that it will make the procedure so much better,

Did you have IT band release?

Glad I can help. Yes, my IT Band was released. This will help very much.  I really am an example of a man who has poor flexibility and very tight, and I'm making it all the way to 5+ cm already. :-) You will do great. Keep us posted on your timelines.   Also, let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you,
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

zlRadamanthys

Hello man
Are you thinking do 7 cms? Plis if you could see my pm that will be wonderful!
Morning height: 170-171 cm
Night height: 169cm - 168cm
Inseam: 80 cm
Winspan: 178 cm
My objetive is: 6,5 or 7 cm

InFullStryde

Hello man
Are you thinking do 7 cms? Plis if you could see my pm that will be wonderful!

Hi Rada, I answered your PM. Have a look when you can.

Right now, I am not sure how far I will go.  I am taking it day by day right now.  My Doctor says I am doing well right now and suggests I keep going.  I will monitor myself closely in the coming days.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

InFullStryde

Day 67 Post Op - Journey Continues [5.4 cm or 2.126 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Today was pretty good.  Oddly enough, I slept pretty well through the night and I did not experience any tightness pain.  I was tight; but it wasn't the awful tightness pain that I had been experiencing in the mornings.  I was able to sleep a good 5-6 hours without waking up so that is a nice rest which I needed.  I'm hoping that tonight is the same for me.  I am approaching the finality of the distraction phase.  Taking it one day at a time. Each day that I make it past at this point is a bonus millimeter.  I'm observing my body closely and keeping close mind of what could be my limit.  At this point, I see 6.5 cm or more as a real possibility but you just never know.  Future CLL'ers ...know this...during phase 1 you will wake up with brand new surprises each day...Your left leg will hurt on Monday and great on Tuesday.  Random Hip tightness...then it goes away...Knee hurts at night..then it disappears....its all very random. You just need to keep it going, stay strong and not give in. Go after your goal.  I honestly, wasn't sure I was going to get much past 5cm; but I can see now that all the hard work of PT pays off.  PT and practicing your walk (with crutches, walker, or unassisted), really goes along way to ensure that you reach your height lengthening goal.  I'll be completely honest...I'm about ready to be done with this phase..lol. It's already been over 2 months and I'm ready to focus on consolidation and rehab...but I have a little ways to go before I settle and I will not quit before it's time! Wish me luck, guys.

Pain: No pain at all really; other then muscle stiffness discomfort.

Flexibility and movement: As mentioned before, I'm very mobile on crutches, I can walk short distances unassisted  (Frankenstein looking walk). For all intents and purposes, I could live my life normally; but just on crutches. I'm at the 2 month point and I could, with confidence, resume my life.  I haven't tried driving yet; but I feel like I could do it easily.  I'm going to hold off however, until my bone is consolidated.  I do have one additional note on movement...My upper left hip is very tight. I believe it is actually  my quad; but it's where the quad and hip meet.  My goodness its tight... PT is working on it with stretching and a massage device. We'll get that back under control here.   Once again, just another random CLL thing that you have to deal with on your journey.

Today's' Activities: 1 Pro PT Session, 1 Self PT Session, 1 bow flex workout

CLL Symptoms:

- Very tight muscles such as hamstrings, quads, glutes, hips, etc.
- Slight 2-4 degree bend of right leg (difficulty straitening) I am able to straighten when flexing
- Slight 1 degree bend of left leg (difficulty straitening). I am able to straighten when flexing
- Slight Duck Ass. I am able to straighten back when flexing

We keep it going strong, guys.  1 mm at a time.

Talk soon and Best Regards,

Canon

What's your height now?

InFullStryde

What's your height now?

I started my journey at a little over 5'1".  I'm 5'3.5" now.

makeme6ft

Day 67 Post Op - Journey Continues [5.4 cm or 2.126 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Today was pretty good.  Oddly enough, I slept pretty well through the night and I did not experience any tightness pain.  I was tight; but it wasn't the awful tightness pain that I had been experiencing in the mornings.  I was able to sleep a good 5-6 hours without waking up so that is a nice rest which I needed.  I'm hoping that tonight is the same for me.  I am approaching the finality of the distraction phase.  Taking it one day at a time. Each day that I make it past at this point is a bonus millimeter.  I'm observing my body closely and keeping close mind of what could be my limit.  At this point, I see 6.5 cm or more as a real possibility but you just never know.  Future CLL'ers ...know this...during phase 1 you will wake up with brand new surprises each day...Your left leg will hurt on Monday and great on Tuesday.  Random Hip tightness...then it goes away...Knee hurts at night..then it disappears....its all very random. You just need to keep it going, stay strong and not give in. Go after your goal.  I honestly, wasn't sure I was going to get much past 5cm; but I can see now that all the hard work of PT pays off.  PT and practicing your walk (with crutches, walker, or unassisted), really goes along way to ensure that you reach your height lengthening goal.  I'll be completely honest...I'm about ready to be done with this phase..lol. It's already been over 2 months and I'm ready to focus on consolidation and rehab...but I have a little ways to go before I settle and I will not quit before it's time! Wish me luck, guys.

Pain: No pain at all really; other then muscle stiffness discomfort.

Flexibility and movement: As mentioned before, I'm very mobile on crutches, I can walk short distances unassisted  (Frankenstein looking walk). For all intents and purposes, I could live my life normally; but just on crutches. I'm at the 2 month point and I could, with confidence, resume my life.  I haven't tried driving yet; but I feel like I could do it easily.  I'm going to hold off however, until my bone is consolidated.  I do have one additional note on movement...My upper left hip is very tight. I believe it is actually  my quad; but it's where the quad and hip meet.  My goodness its tight... PT is working on it with stretching and a massage device. We'll get that back under control here.   Once again, just another random CLL thing that you have to deal with on your journey.

Today's' Activities: 1 Pro PT Session, 1 Self PT Session, 1 bow flex workout

CLL Symptoms:

- Slight 2-4 degree bend of right leg (difficulty straitening) I am able to straighten when flexing
- Slight 1 degree bend of left leg (difficulty straitening). I am able to straighten when flexing

Good to hear you had a good sleep session. Good sleep is truly heaven even for those that are not doing LL; did you buy the latex foam?

Reading from your post it seems like your head is in the right direction but do allow me to give you some suggestion. It's good that you're intent on adding to the bonus but I really don't think 6.5cm is the absolute limit for you. I strongly think you should aim higher, a lot higher, perhaps 7.5cm-8cm

I say this because what you are going through right now, the pain, the discomfort, the psychological anxiousness on getting to the day when you no longer have to lengthen and have a hint that things will be far better in the near future. Well better than all those is a stronger height, if 5'3.5 was a huge change for you I am sure that being almost 5'5 will be even greater. I think you should aim that high because
1) you already put loads of effort into it
2) you had your IT bands released
3) its expensive af and you're able to work remotely anyways so you're not exactly losing on finances by staying home and lengthening
4) you're not bored

Like look at me. I'm a pure external patient, I had no release done and my goal is 7cm on my tibia alone which is a shorter bone than femurs. I fully believe I'll be able to achieve it and with ease. 6.5cm for your femurs is an entirely realistic goal, mine is a higher goal and of course the higher you go the higher the complications you get but you're doing so well right now, you have a great doctor and state of the art nail inside you, I don't think you'll regret it; Dr.M is right by your side.

Props to you for doing internals by the way. Me personally can't stand the thought of having an internal nail flown through my bone canal so I respect those that muster the courage to do it. And also lengthening on the femurs is much harder than tibias

InFullStryde

Good to hear you had a good sleep session. Good sleep is truly heaven even for those that are not doing LL; did you buy the latex foam?

Reading from your post it seems like your head is in the right direction but do allow me to give you some suggestion. It's good that you're intent on adding to the bonus but I really don't think 6.5cm is the absolute limit for you. I strongly think you should aim higher, a lot higher, perhaps 7.5cm-8cm

I say this because what you are going through right now, the pain, the discomfort, the psychological anxiousness on getting to the day when you no longer have to lengthen and have a hint that things will be far better in the near future. Well better than all those is a stronger height, if 5'3.5 was a huge change for you I am sure that being almost 5'5 will be even greater. I think you should aim that high because
1) you already put loads of effort into it
2) you had your IT bands released
3) its expensive af and you're able to work remotely anyways so you're not exactly losing on finances by staying home and lengthening
4) you're not bored

Like look at me. I'm a pure external patient, I had no release done and my goal is 7cm on my tibia alone which is a shorter bone than femurs. I fully believe I'll be able to achieve it and with ease. 6.5cm for your femurs is an entirely realistic goal, mine is a higher goal and of course the higher you go the higher the complications you get but you're doing so well right now, you have a great doctor and state of the art nail inside you, I don't think you'll regret it; Dr.M is right by your side.

Props to you for doing internals by the way. Me personally can't stand the thought of having an internal nail flown through my bone canal so I respect those that muster the courage to do it. And also lengthening on the femurs is much harder than tibias

Love this post, MakeMe6ft.  A true motivating push in late innings can go along away.  I appreciate it and thank you.  You are right on every point. I'm going to push this as far as I can go.

InFullStryde

Day 68 Post Op - Journey Continues [5.5 cm or 2.165 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Another day in another way. Woke up with a bit more pain and stiffness than last night.  Most of the pain was actually felt in the areas at which the bone gap exists. As you extend past the 5cm mark, you can really feel the sensitivity in the weaker zone of your bone.  It was a bit prohibitive for me as it related to moving around.  After a good morning warm up, I was fine; but nevertheless...its another thing to expect with CLL.  I continue on.  I'll be at 6cm by the end of the weekend.   What a journey this is.

Pain: No pain while resting; however when walking and turning in bed, I can feel soreness pain in the areas where the bone gap is.

Flexibility and movement:
Very tight and flexibility is not good. I need to continue to work in every area in order to manage the affects of lengthening.  With about 1-2.5 cm left depending on how far I decide to go; Ill need to continue to stretch, stay loose as possible, and walk/strengthen if I want to make it to the end with  my goal in tact. I backed off unassisted walking today.  Will allow the soreness to settled in.

Today's' Activities: 2 Self PT Session, 15 minutes walking session,  8 hours of remote working

CLL Symptoms:

- While sitting, my legs are bending at about 95 degrees. I need to get this back below 90.

InFullStryde

Day 69 Post Op - Journey Continues [5.6 cm or 2.2 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Once again another day has passed.  Today was a productive one for me.  Worked, Worked Out, PT'd, etc,etc. I will say though that at this phase of the lengthening I'm really feeling it.  The muscles are soooo stretched, wayyyyyyy tight, and they are sore.  I contacted Dr. M's office and requested a refill on my Tramadol because I can tell I'm going to need pain medication If I plan to eclipse the 7cm mark.  I have settled my mind on making it to at least 6.5cm (2 1/2 inches), however, I will push toward 7cm+ (2.75"), which would officially put me at 5'4...A BIG change from 5'1".  Ultimately however, it is one millimeter at a time.  Send your positive thoughts guys. If anyone could use a couple of these inches, it's me! Ha ha!

Pain: Remember all those days in a row when I reported no pain? Well it's baaaaaaaaack.   Its not the type of pain that existed back when I first started this procedure; but it's more of a weakness pain that comes when your muscles are being stretched. Remember, when a muscle is stretched it is similar to a rubber band..it loses strength.   Also, I have sensitivity in the bone zones where the gap currently is; so I'm not able to freely walk around. Legs tire easily...keep in mind however that this too subsides quickly as the soft tissue adjusts in the coming days.  What I'm going through is just the true reality of CLL when you get to the higher inches.     I'm keeping a close eye on my ROM right now and other symptoms.  As long as my symptoms are "manageable" and not severe, I will continue to lengthen, so long that it's not against doctors advice.

Flexibility and Movement:
Very tight overall, however I did feel improvement in the leg straightening, as well as quad tightness.  The PT has been working hard on my hips and glutes. They know that is my weakness right now.  I am able to walk unassisted, meaning, I can take Frankenstein duck looking steps.  I prefer to weight bear with crutches.

Today's' Activities: 1 Self PT Session, 1 Pro PT Session 15 minutes walking session,  8 hours of remote working

CLL Symptoms:

- Slight 2 degree bend of right leg (difficulty straitening) I am able to straighten when flexing
- While sitting, my legs are bending at about 95 degrees. I need to get this back below 90.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:19:05 AM by InFullStryde »

Purushrottam

Can you slow down your rate of lengthening to .75 mm a day instead of 1 mm a day? That might ease the pain a bit.

Is there a way you can work less and devote more time to PT? It really makes a huge difference.

Do you ride a stationary bike before doing PT? 10 minutes on a bike makes a HUGE difference for your muscles. Muscles should be warmed up before stretching.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

InFullStryde

Can you slow down your rate of lengthening to .75 mm a day instead of 1 mm a day? That might ease the pain a bit.

Is there a way you can work less and devote more time to PT? It really makes a huge difference.

Do you ride a stationary bike before doing PT? 10 minutes on a bike makes a HUGE difference for your muscles. Muscles should be warmed up before stretching.

Thanks Puru!

I may consider slowing it down if the pain gets too bad.  I'm going to take your advise and startto work half days (4 hours a day) until I reach my goal and substitute with more steady movement, streching and walking....You're right on. Yes, I usually do about 10 minutes per day before PT.   

Your advise is gold.   I'll report back on how these minor hacks impacted me.

epikness

What was your femur/tibia length before the surgery?

InFullStryde

What was your femur/tibia length before the surgery?

That is a good question. I'm not exactly sure.  I just measured my femur and its at 18" or 19"...so I was about 16 or 17" on the femur before surgery. I'm 5'1" at my starting height. I could be way off on the femur, but my tape measure gave me these figures.   I will have to ask Dr. M on this one.   Not sure on Tibias. I just measured from my knee to where my ankle starts and the tape measure reads 14"

makeme6ft

Was thinking the same thing to be honest about .75mm/day during lengthening. IFS you should try it for a day or two and see how well it goes.

Has Dr.M said anything about the rate of your bone growth?

makeme6ft

Also I know this will sound hell but I recommend you stop using opoid pain killer. You are 2 months post op your body has adapted really well ..

Pain is hell but its also natural. And the best indicator of how your body is responding. Unless youre in 24/7 chronic hell pain, then something is definitely cooking up

Keep strong

InFullStryde

Day 70 Post Op - 3 more days until the big 6! [5.7 cm or 2.244 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I'm here at my home office typing this to you and Its hard to imagine that I'm already at day 70.  After surgery, I entered into a state of mind where I knew that the days would keep coming and that it would be only effort and will power that would stand between me and my height lengthening goals.  Well, here I am.    Today was pretty good.   Some discomfort of course can be felt with the tight muscles; but all in all; no real pain today.  There is some sensitivity in the area where the bone gap zone is in my right leg.  I imagine that is to be expected.  I did push it pretty hard at PT yesterday; so I imagine that some inflammation is present.   I'm going to keep on going strong. On Sunday, I would have reached that coveted 6cm mark and then we will see how I do the rest of the way. 

Pain: Pain is feeling under control at this point.  Nothing sharp.   As mentioned before, I have some sensitivity on the side of my leg in the area where the bone is separating; but nothing major.  I will say at a resting state, I am about a 2 pain and the zone sensitivity pain is about a 4.  The tight muscles are my greatest source of discomfort and I'm looking forward to that tightness starting to melt away once I stop the lengthening.

Flexibility and Movement: Tight, low flexibility but mobile with crutches. Without crutches, I am mobile but due to the tightness, and some muscle weakness, my steps our not acceptable to use full time.   I anticipate my post lengthening PT will resolve posture and other issues with walking in 2-3 months time. Maybe sooner...we'll see.

Today's' Activities:
3 Self PT Session, 6 Hours working, with walk breaks.

CLL Symptoms:

- Slight 2 degree bend of right leg (difficulty straitening) I am able to straighten when flexing
- Duck Ass. I am able to straighten back when flexing, but the curve is there.  Will need to recover this through strengthening hips and glutes and loosening quads/hams.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:52:59 AM by InFullStryde »

FutureManuteBol

Keep Going! You're killing it man. At the same time, don't feel like you have to push yourself to higher and higher cm's. You have reached a great gain of already past 2 in. It's your choice of course, but make sure you're not going overboard. 6.5 cm is nothing out of the norm, but I feel going past that is pushing it. 8cm is the absolute max that I'm aware of at least. I'm new to this forum, so excuse any misconceptions I may have.

InFullStryde

Keep Going! You're killing it man. At the same time, don't feel like you have to push yourself to higher and higher cm's. You have reached a great gain of already past 2 in. It's your choice of course, but make sure you're not going overboard. 6.5 cm is nothing out of the norm, but I feel going past that is pushing it. 8cm is the absolute max that I'm aware of at least. I'm new to this forum, so excuse any misconceptions I may have.

Thanks, buddy.  I appreciate the support. You're 100% right. I'm watching myself very closely.   I'd love to get to that 6.5cm mark. Taking it day-by-day. Will keep you posted!

InFullStryde

(Friday) Day 71 Post Op - 3 more days until the big 6! [5.7 cm or 2.244 inches Taller!]

Hi Guys,

I'm going to take a break this weekend from updates; but will be back on Monday. I hope that my diary has been informative to the community so far and feel free to PM Me if you have questions about CLL. I will do my best to answer your questions based on my experience thus far.

Best Regards,

wannagrowtaller

How difficult is to change your clothes? Or take a shower? Or make number 2?
Go for it

InFullStryde

How difficult is to change your clothes? Or take a shower? Or make number 2?

Hi Wannagrowtaller,

Since I'm near the end of my distraction, my flexibility is pretty bad.

Changing my shirt is no problem, but putting on my pants takes some work since I am not able to fold my knees far enough at the moment.  I am able to put on pants and shoes, socks etc; just requires a bit more focus and some ingenuity on my end.   

Taking a shower is no problem.  I have a bathtub that I have to get over so I am able to get my legs over that and into the bathtub; so long that I am holding on to something to support myself.

Taking number 2 is easy.   I have no issue being mobilized and sitting down anywhere.

---

Hope that helped. 

wannagrowtaller

IFS, do you think you could handle a quadrilateral lengthening with stryde in both femurs and tibias (4cm each) or only one segment is hard enough?
Go for it

InFullStryde

Hmm. I could handle it I suppose.

One segment is definitely enough.  I haven't heard of any one with 4 segments broken being able to walk much. One of the things that had made this tolerable was the ability to weight bear. 

wannagrowtaller

I haven't heard of any one with 4 segments broken being able to walk much.
The only quads that I know used precice 2 or 1, not stryde.
Go for it

BeYourBest

Hey In Full Stryde!

Just starting to read your diary. Wanted to say congratulations on reaching this far! You're doing great, keep at it.

InFullStryde

Hey In Full Stryde!

Just starting to read your diary. Wanted to say congratulations on reaching this far! You're doing great, keep at it.

Thank you, Buddy! Let me know if you have any questions. I'm glad to help the best I can.  I'm in the middle of my journey; but I'm almost done with what I believe is the hard part.....the "distraction phase".  My next update will be tomorrow and hopefully we're all celebrating that 6cm together. 

Talk soon and best regards,

Hex

• @gustavotrrs instagram

Nice, whats your feet size and wingspam?
I'm looking for growth alternatives outside LL.
my instagram @gustavotrrs

BeYourBest

Thank you, Buddy! Let me know if you have any questions. I'm glad to help the best I can.  I'm in the middle of my journey; but I'm almost done with what I believe is the hard part.....the "distraction phase".  My next update will be tomorrow and hopefully we're all celebrating that 6cm together. 

Talk soon and best regards,

That is good to hear man! And thank you, I will do. Glad to hear that you've been through the worst. Looking forward to your update.

All the best.

AnotherLevel

• Visitor

Hello InFullStryde

Can I just ask, If your lengthening at 1mm per day why is has taken 74 days to hit 6cm rather then 60?

Thanks once again .

InFullStryde

Hello InFullStryde

Can I just ask, If your lengthening at 1mm per day why is has taken 74 days to hit 6cm rather then 60?

Thanks once again .

Hi Buddy!  Great question.  I started lengthening on day 9 post op..(around there)...and then, I had a few occasions here and there where my schedule disallowed me to lengthen.  So all in all, it added up to what it is now. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Up