Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123614 times)

InFullStryde

I just kept doing exercises that pushed down on the knee to keep the leg straight and held that position for a minute or so and repeat. You will feel your hamstring stretch doing that.  It eventually went away after I stopped lengthening and I had way worse bend than you, at my worse I think mine was about 15 degree bend.

Ah, okay. Sounds good. Sounds like we just need to allow the soft tissue some time to catch up with our lengthening.  That is good to know.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

InFullStryde

Day 54 Post Op - 9 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.106 cm or 1.617 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I am beat, today. Once again have been dealing with tension headaches.  I'm not sure if they are related to the CLL; but I'm having them more and more these days.   Either way, we got through another day and each day means you're closer to the finish line.   I have to tell you and I know that veteran CLL'ers also know this. Once you hit that 4cm mark its hard.   You're tight and you're stiff and although you can still bend and display a range of motion;  you begin to wonder if WD40 is something that humans can use on themselves. LOL.   I'm not in pain; but the CLL procedure is now surreal to me because I'm experiencing what everyone has been talking about.   I'm here to tell you... It's not that bad with the weight bearing Stryde nails. I cannot imagine what it must have been like for the Precise 1 and 2, CLL'ers and other non-weight bearing solutions. YOU, my friends are incredible.   What makes this entire ordeal easier for me is the fact that I can stand up and still feel myself hold my own weight.  I can take steps, albeit, waddling around since I have no butt or hips right now oh and don't forget I have a 2 inch gap in my bone! (ha ha)...but to just be able to take any kind of steps makes this process more doable and psychologically less stressful.  I am truly impressed by those who are undertaking the alternative solution.   My big challenge right now is, guess? Yes, Hamstring tightness.  It is causing pull in all directions. Nothing too, too bad; but it's forcing me to work even harder on stretching and monitor my body even more closely.  I've included other categorized details below.  CLL'ers, all in all, I'm on my way to my initial goal without any complications.  Let's hope it stays that way!

Pain: Morning and night - Pain was at about a 2/3.  Barely any pain during the day..maybe 0-1.  Tightness discomfort in upper legs.  My hamstrings are very tight.

Flexibility and movement: Same thing.  I actually am starting to get even stronger in my legs however. I was taking quite a bit of unassisted steps today just to get around various tables and into the shower, etc....I am careful, not to worry).  I didn't tire out like I usually do. Legs are getting tougher, meaner, and stronger.   Don't get me wrong, they have a ways to go but there is improvement.   My range of motion is 'okay".   Personally, considering that I was very average and even below average in flexibility when I started this journey, I'm pretty amazed at how well I've done with regard to flexibility.   I have worked my tail off in PT and I know what is at stake here. I'm doing everything I can to manage the soft tissues stretching so much.

Today's' Activities: 8 hour work day via remote connection, 2 Self PT Sessions, and 1 upper body work out on my bowflex.

Body Condition Im looking pretty decent. I have lost about 7 lbs however and some mass in the upper body region.   Most of the loss was at the beginning of the procedure and now that I'm back to working out I anticipate on re-gaining some size and strength.   You do lose your appetite wit CLL; So i always say to stock up on some items that you find "tasty"; even if its not the most healthy..(like a hamburger, ice cream, etc)...This way you can wake up your taste buds again and then get back to your healthy diet.

Well, its day 54.... .  I'm only 9 days away from 2 inches and 50 cm.  Guys, 2 inches for me... is an incredible gain and I'm going to have a shot of tequila to celebrate! I hope some of you will take a shot with me on that day! lol.

Okay Guys, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon and best regards.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

catcat

• Visitor

Thanks for your daily updates. Can you feel a huge difference after adding almost 5cm? How do the scars look? are they bad or fine?

InFullStryde

Thanks for your daily updates. Can you feel a huge difference after adding almost 5cm? How do the scars look? are they bad or fine?

Hi Cat Cat!

So far I am at a 1.61 inches gain and honestly the difference is huge.   I cannot wait until I can go out and enjoy my new height; and I'm not even completed with the procedure yet.  In 9 days I will be 2 inches taller and it will be that much better.  I'm not sure how much I will go over 2 inches. I want to be safe and we will see what my body can tolerate.  Also, will have my PT and doctor assess me and help guide my decision.

Scars are extremely minimal. I have 3 light marks on each leg that look like baby cat scratches.   I haven't even cared to do anything to try to lighten them.  I kind of liken them as a tattoo to remind me of this incredible sacrifice I made..a true mark of courage. I will take pictures and post them sometime this week. They are barely noticeable.  I will say that Dr. Mahboubian gave me a true "Hollywood" scar; which in the entertainment world means you can't really tell anything was done.

InFullStryde

BONUS POST - A Few General Questions Answered regarding CLL! Private message any questions to me and I'll be happy to answer the best I can.

Good day LL'ers! 

I receive some great questions from community members regarding the CLL procedure and I have to tell you....I APPRECIATE YOUR QUESTIONS SO MUCH.   By submitting questions; it gives me an opportunity to reflect on my experience and there by post my feedback on the forum. It helps others so much.  Members, people need so much help...we're all vulnerable and we all NEED and WANT assistance. If we bound together...we can get through anything. Note, we don't have to be related, or even longtime friends to simply say... I'm here to help and be there the best you can afford.   Okay, here are a few questions from a member  and I wanted to answer them publicly so that we could all benefit from the feedback.  The identify of the individual who submits any question to me will be 100% confidential.

How bad are the scars?

I know that this depends on a few factors.  One of those factors being on the surgeon abilities to maintain efficient, clean cuts.  My Doctor is of North Hollywood and his name is Dr. Mahboubian.   Hollywood is probably the most vanity emphasized place in the world... My scars are extremely minimal and I would hope that other doctors follow suit. Here is a picture of my markings below...(only 50 days post op).  This level of marking will barely be visible to the eye after several months to a year; especially  if you're using a scar reducing ointment.  As a "dude", i sorta like scars. lol.   I know that females are very concerned about this; so I hope this relaxes you when it comes to the subject.  One item to note is that there is one additional marking on my butt, where the nail was put in. It is similar looking to the marking below but a bit longer. 

https://imgur.com/LlAWyy3

Will I be able to wear a bathing suit later down the line after having surgery?

Absolutely! Rock those sxxy long legs and those lines will barely be visible after several months/1 year. 

Do your legs feel heavy with the nails still in place for consolidation?

You do not feel the nails at all.  The nails are surprising light weight and the body supports them extremely well as the nail supports your bone.

Were your It bands loosened during your surgery & if so do you feel you’ve lost any stability?

My IT bands were released/lengthened and it is important to note that the four primary CLL Doctors that are performing this surgery release your IT band; even for the most flexible.  I personally do not notice a difference. IT Band released is a surgery that is often performed on top athletes to help increase their flexibility and relieve pressure on these areas.  Even with my IT Band cut, I still feel the pulling in that area..so just imagine if I had not released the IT band. I would have been wound very tightly. 

Where did you go for your physical therapy & for how many days a week & how long were your sessions?

I will keep this confidential for my privacy however, I simply looked up a 5 star PT clinic that was local to me and I explained my surgery and they got to work.  They are very professional and serious. I recommend researching the best local PT in your area and signing up with them. Keep in mind that PT costs will be included for most health insurance.  If you live or are staying next to your Doctor's offices, he likely has a dedicated or partner PT that you can work with as well.   The LL doctors are orthopedic surgeons who perform services for clients on for many issues outside of CLL and can refer you to their local support.   My PT stretches me out well and provides a 10 minute deep tissue massage to help remove restriction in my muscles.  Massage is a must.   Sessions are about 45 minutes of stretching and 10 minutes of deep tissue massage.

Did you do pool sessions & if so how soon? How long after surgery were you in need of home assistance?

I did not do pool sessions; but that would be interesting!  I will say that since the new nails are completely weight bearing; you may not need the pool gravity limitation for your situation. You're able to place full weight on the Stryde nails with no worry.

After surgery, I recommend using a home health PT for up to the first 3 weeks.  Keep this in mind...just because the nail can bear your weight; doesn't  mean you are going actually be able to stand up and bear your weight for the first few days and it could be up to a couple of weeks.  Home PT helps keep you safe during the immediate post surgical time period.  They will review your home or place you stay at for accessibility and advise you on what assistive devices you can order.  Additionally, they will perform stretches and exercises with you.  With the help of home PT, you'll be up and moving by the 2nd or 3rd week and ready for an outpatient clinic.   I know that it feels appealing to have a home PT for the entire process; but my opinion is that after the first 2/3 weeks its best to go to a facility with lots of staff, resources, equipment and you get out of the house...which is vital.  The CLL process is long and fresh air, people, and activity is a great way to help you push through this process with greater ease.

Do you return home from the hospital or spend a few days in surgical aftercare.

Once the surgery is completed (With great success!), you will stay in the hospital for about 2 or 3 days.   The hospital staff wants to monitor  you for situations such as Compartment syndrome and any other post surgical complication.  It's a nice thing also to just take a few days with rest and special care. This period allows you to focus on your recovery.  Let me add that I recommend that you hire a van transport to take you home from the hospital. There are many wheelchair and/or other disability transport services.  This helps to ensure your safety during the initial post surgical period.

Gents and Ladies, let me know if you have other questions. If you prefer to ask me questions privately, feel free to send me a message. I may post answers to the community but I will NEVER reveal who asked the question. 

Thank you and talk soon,

InFullStryde

Day 55 Post Op - 8 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.206 cm or 1.66 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I hope that everyone had a good day today.  Well, I must tell ya, One thing that is always promised is that the sun will come up and go down, each and every day.   CLL is a process and it takes time...but rest assured that time, filled with your commitment and effort, shall push you through and past this EPIC challenge.  It was a tough start to the day; as I woke up with the worst of all tension headaches.  My right eye socket was on fire with head pain and I had no idea what to do about it.  I took some tylenol for it and told myself, I'm going to get up out of bed right now, at 4:00am, and just begin my day.  There was no point in suffering in my bed with a headache.  Well, as I began my day and started to get to moving around things started to get better. I worked out, picked up my apartment a bit and had breakfast.  By engaging and have focus, my headache subsided and I was able to push through the day well.   I'll go into detail on other items below.   We're getting closer now to the big milestone and I feel good about that.

Pain: Morning and night - Pain was at about a 4-5 in the early am morning hours and it was aggravated by a tension headache.  Barely any pain during the day..maybe 0-1.  Tightness in the stretching soft tissues is about the main issue I'm facing right now in terms of discomfort.

Flexibility and movement: For all intents and purposes, I'd say I'm moving pretty well.  I get around mainly on crutches these days and when short distances walking around my apartment or physio is required, I go unassisted walking.  My flexibility is not good; but I have actually improved in some areas.  I'm much stronger than I was a week ago as well; a ways to go; but definitely progress. 

Today's' Activities: 8 hour work day via remote connection, 1 self PT Session and 1 Pro PT Session at the Clinic, and 1 upper body work out on my bowflex.

Body Condition:
I've lost weight, so I'm trying to eat more and make sure I work my upper body each day on the Bowflex.  As I approach the end of distraction, It's time to get strong again in all areas.   The worst thing going on with me physically right now are the sudden chronic headaches.  I'm okay at the moment, with no headache and i hope it stays that way.

Day 55 is in the books. 8 more days left until I reach the big 2 inches.  I can't wait.  I'm monitoring my body closely for any issues and I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment that I should safely arrive at the 5cm mark.  We'll see and I'll definitely keep you all posted.

Okay Guys, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon and best regards.

MichaelJose

Day 55 Post Op - 8 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.206 cm or 1.66 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I hope that everyone had a good day today.  Well, I must tell ya, One thing that is always promised is that the sun will come up and go down, each and every day.   CLL is a process and it takes time...but rest assured that time, filled with your commitment and effort, shall push you through and past this EPIC challenge.  It was a tough start to the day; as I woke up with the worst of all tension headaches.  My right eye socket was on fire with head pain and I had no idea what to do about it.  I took some tylenol for it and told myself, I'm going to get up out of bed right now, at 4:00am, and just begin my day.  There was no point in suffering in my bed with a headache.  Well, as I began my day and started to get to moving around things started to get better. I worked out, picked up my apartment a bit and had breakfast.  By engaging and have focus, my headache subsided and I was able to push through the day well.   I'll go into detail on other items below.   We're getting closer now to the big milestone and I feel good about that.

Pain: Morning and night - Pain was at about a 4-5 in the early am morning hours and it was aggravated by a tension headache.  Barely any pain during the day..maybe 0-1.  Tightness in the stretching soft tissues is about the main issue I'm facing right now in terms of discomfort.

Flexibility and movement: For all intents and purposes, I'd say I'm moving pretty well.  I get around mainly on crutches these days and when short distances walking around my apartment or physio is required, I go unassisted walking.  My flexibility is not good; but I have actually improved in some areas.  I'm much stronger than I was a week ago as well; a ways to go; but definitely progress. 

Today's' Activities: 8 hour work day via remote connection, 1 self PT Session and 1 Pro PT Session at the Clinic, and 1 upper body work out on my bowflex.

Body Condition:
I've lost weight, so I'm trying to eat more and make sure I work my upper body each day on the Bowflex.  As I approach the end of distraction, It's time to get strong again in all areas.   The worst thing going on with me physically right now are the sudden chronic headaches.  I'm okay at the moment, with no headache and i hope it stays that way.

Day 55 is in the books. 8 more days left until I reach the big 2 inches.  I can't wait.  I'm monitoring my body closely for any issues and I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment that I should safely arrive at the 5cm mark.  We'll see and I'll definitely keep you all posted.

Great work IFS!

Now that you're 55 days in - does it still feel as crazy a thing to do as you thought before you began?

By the sounds of things it doesn't sound to taxing when you consider the biggest problem is your headaches.

Also for your tight hamstrings - I'd recommend working out your abdominals and glutes excessively - I've found this to help (in normal everyday life). 

InFullStryde

Great work IFS!

Now that you're 55 days in - does it still feel as crazy a thing to do as you thought before you began?

By the sounds of things it doesn't sound to taxing when you consider the biggest problem is your headaches.

Also for your tight hamstrings - I'd recommend working out your abdominals and glutes excessively - I've found this to help (in normal everyday life).

Good morning Michael Jose!

Thank you, man! 

I would have to say that yes, this entire procedure is still as crazy now as it was then. The two elements that strike me the hardest is the inability to be freely and safetly mobile and the consequential amount of months required to get through the process. With 2 months down, I figure I still have at least 4 more to go. 

Having said that, after 4-5 weeks of the consolidation phase is behind me and assuming I have healthy bone growth; I plan to begin getting back to normal every day life as much as I can; meaning, I will will return to work with crutches, start driving and if it's realistic, I'll even begin attending my membership gym (24 hour or LA Fitness vs my home gym).   I'll even attempt to go out socially more often and test those ADA policies out there.

Thank you for the tips on the hamstrings.  I been puttering along with glute exercises via PT; but I think I'll crank it up a few notches now.   

Appreciate your support, man. It helps.  Talk soon.

Leggs

InFullStryde-

Thanks for keeping such a detailed journal of your daily life while lengthening.

A video of you performing everyday activities would be greatly appreciated. No one has ever done this. A couple seconds of video of someone walking can be helpful, but nothing would be more helpful to show the true process of lengthening with STRYDE, than a few very short 15-30 second videos of you performing everyday tasks that we all do in our daily lives without even thinking about it.

Some Examples Include:
* Getting out of a chair or from the couch to go to the refrigerator
* Standing to wash your hands, moving towards the towel to dry, then walking away
* Putting on and/or taking off clothes and shoes, including socks. With your underwear and undershirt on of course!
* Cooking a simple meal, even just moving around the kitchen to make a bowl of cereal
* Getting in and out of a car

InFullStryde

InFullStryde-

Thanks for keeping such a detailed journal of your daily life while lengthening.

A video of you performing everyday activities would be greatly appreciated. No one has ever done this. A couple seconds of video of someone walking can be helpful, but nothing would be more helpful to show the true process of lengthening with STRYDE, than a few very short 15-30 second videos of you performing everyday tasks that we all do in our daily lives without even thinking about it.

Some Examples Include:
* Getting out of a chair or from the couch to go to the refrigerator
* Standing to wash your hands, moving towards the towel to dry, then walking away
* Putting on and/or taking off clothes and shoes, including socks. With your underwear and undershirt on of course!
* Cooking a simple meal, even just moving around the kitchen to make a bowl of cereal
* Getting in and out of a car

Hi Leggs, Thank you for this request. I will see what I can do for us.

MichaelJose

Good morning Michael Jose!

Thank you, man! 

I would have to say that yes, this entire procedure is still as crazy now as it was then. The two elements that strike me the hardest is the inability to be freely and safetly mobile and the consequential amount of months required to get through the process. With 2 months down, I figure I still have at least 4 more to go. 

Having said that, after 4-5 weeks of the consolidation phase is behind me and assuming I have healthy bone growth; I plan to begin getting back to normal every day life as much as I can; meaning, I will will return to work with crutches, start driving and if it's realistic, I'll even begin attending my membership gym (24 hour or LA Fitness vs my home gym).   I'll even attempt to go out socially more often and test those ADA policies out there.

Thank you for the tips on the hamstrings.  I been puttering along with glute exercises via PT; but I think I'll crank it up a few notches now.   

Appreciate your support, man. It helps.  Talk soon.

I understand what you mean. I will say that give it 3 weeks into consolidation you perhaps might be thinking this wasn't too crazy.

I've broken my kneecap before and so I have some previous context as to how long it really takes to get back to physical activity etc.

I think there comes a point where you do go back to real life and all recovery thereafter is just small steps - I believe for you that'll be in the first few weeks of consolidation from my experience and what I've read on the forum.

InFullStryde

I understand what you mean. I will say that give it 3 weeks into consolidation you perhaps might be thinking this wasn't too crazy.

I've broken my kneecap before and so I have some previous context as to how long it really takes to get back to physical activity etc.

I think there comes a point where you do go back to real life and all recovery thereafter is just small steps - I believe for you that'll be in the first few weeks of consolidation from my experience and what I've read on the forum.

Thank you Michael, this is encouraging to hear.  I also have a feeling that my big gains will come post-lengthening and as I dive into consolidation.  I have never broken a bone before until now; so your experience about this is enlightening to me.

Thanks again.

InFullStryde

Day 56 Post Op - 7 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.306 cm or 1.695 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I hope that everyone had a good day today.  Its another day in the books.  Time is somewhat flying by. I felt like it was just yesterday that I was posting about day 55...oh wait, i was just posting about day 55, yesterday.  Sorry bad jokes to start the evening.  he he.  All is okay so far today.  I'm starting to get excited as I approach the mighty 2 inches; but I have to tell you, it isn't getting any easier. I'll summarize below. :-)  The first inch was great, but was just a start. The 2nd inch is really the difference maker. Anywhere above 2 inches is outstanding.  Safety first however.   2 inches was my hopeful minimum goal and it will be outstanding to secure this goal.

Pain: Morning and night - Finally, I had a morning and night that was fairly painless. I'd say a 2-3 pain, if that. Primary discomfort remains tightness of my soft tissue. 

Flexibility and movement: Tightness in the hamstrings and all the leg muscles generally persist.  I'm going to continue to stretch the best I can; however, I do not believe that I will be able to make too much headway until lengthening is over. It's all about management and keeping the legs as loose as possible at this point. We will see. You just never know. Everyday my legs seem to feel a bit different during this process. Sometimes for better and sometimes, for worse.

Today's' Activities: 8 hour work day via remote connection, 2 self PT Session.

Body Condition: Was a bit tired today; but recovered by late in the day. Doing better overall.

That is all I have to report for day 56.  7 more days and I'll be at the 2 inch milestone.

YungGud

Hi, InFullStryde i wanna ask you one thing
As you making for example 6 cm,  you approximately need 60 days for lengthening and around 6 months for regeneration,
Am i understand correctly?
How you supposed to be in case of physical conditions and activities or sports in 6 months post op period?
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

InFullStryde

Hi YungGud,

Thank you for your question.

That is correct. 60 Days of lengthening will gain you about 6 centimeters.   (2 months)

It will then take approximately 3 - 4 months to restore normal gait

1 additional month you should start to jog

1 additional month you can run

.... So in terms of post op.  O

One can expect to restore gait by month 5 or 6, post OP

Jogging by month 7 or 8

Running by month 8 or 9

Allow one year to start to feel fully normal again. 

YungGud

Hi YungGud,

Thank you for your question.

That is correct. 60 Days of lengthening will gain you about 6 centimeters.   (2 months)

It will then take approximately 3 - 4 months to restore normal gait

1 additional month you should start to jog

1 additional month you can run

.... So in terms of post op.  O

One can expect to restore gait by month 5 or 6, post OP

Jogging by month 7 or 8

Running by month 8 or 9

Allow one year to start to feel fully normal again. 

Thanks for your answer, really appreciated
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

Canon

How tall are you now? Do you have pictures?

Thanks

InFullStryde

Hi Canon, when i started the process, I started at a towering 5' 1.25" I am now a sky scraping 5'3.15". Lol.

It's feeling good, man.  I am working on pictures and videos.   I'll send x-ray's next Friday for my updated height.

wannagrowtaller

IFS, do you know if you do quadrilateral with stryde in femurs and tibias you would be able to walk unaided and full weight bearing?
Go for it

InFullStryde

IFS, do you know if you do quadrilateral with stryde in femurs and tibias you would be able to walk unaided and full weight bearing?

Good question. I am not sure.  I imagine that once the surgical pain heals enough and some strength is regained that the patient could take some baby steps.   Truth is that even with the Stryde nail that you NAY still require crutches or cane for most, if not all the lengthening phase (Wheelchair isn't necessary after first few days to first couple of weeks).  My experience is that although I can take babe steps with no assistances, it is far safer to have crutches to catch me if I lose balance.  With the bone cut and weak muscles, it is much safer to have support while walking.   I do however encourage full weight bearing. Do not put weight on crutches or walker. Only use these devices to keep you balanced and safe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:12:33 AM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

Day 57 Post Op - 6 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.406 cm or 1.74 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Today was good.  Overall, I did well.   I did have some "growing pains" in both legs. Basically, as I approach the 5cm mark, my soft tissues are really stretched at this point; so you experience some dullness off and on.   I'm really pushing the best I can to to 5cm (2 inches).  At this point, each day feels like a fairly big step.   The tightness in my hamstrings felt a bit better today as I stretch and massage as much as is reasonably necessary.   The hamstrings are pulling at my knees and back; so it's important to manage and keep this under control as much as possible.  This is just a by product of CLL, especially when you we're not very flexible to begin with.  Other then that, a very uneventful day.  At day 57, there really hasn't been any pain for me during the day time.  Night time is tough for me personally, but may not be as bad for future CLL'ers.   I am just dealing with the soft tissue stretch pains at this point and I know it comes with the territory. 

Pain: Morning and night - wasn't as bad as past. I slept a good 5 uninterpreted hours which is excellent for CLL'ers.  Day time pain was 0-1.  I had some dull pain; but I'd only classify it as level 1...hardly any pain.   My tight hamstrings and tight muscles in my legs create some discomfort.  My Hamstrings are really stretched and some minor pulling is beggingin to occur at about 2 degree for knees and similar for back.  I am doing all I can with Physio and Walking weight bearing to remedy.  When you have "Pulling" going on, the key is to stay active and keep stretching. 

Flexibility and movement: Movement is reasonable, I believe.  I'm getting around mostly on crutches and able to take fully weight bearing baby steps unassisted as needed to get around bathroom, kitchen, bed room, etc.   Mobility at this point is completely, livable.  I am not close to resuming normal actively; but I am certainly able to do everything needed for house and work in a comfortable manner.  I plan on starting to drive again and going back to my office building, full time,  a few weeks after I discontinue lengthening which will likely be at some point this month of March or early April.

Today's' Activities: 8 hour work day via remote connection, 2 self PT Session, 1 hour upper body workout with bowflex

Body Condition: Feel okay, tight in muscles, have lost some upper body mass but starting to regain as I resume a more consistent and intense upper body workout.

Well, if all goes well, I'll be only 4 days away from 2 inches taller, once this weekend is all done.   It's getting very interesting now friends. I'll keep you updated.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:04:17 AM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

Day 58 Post Op - 5 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.506 cm or 1.77 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Another day in the books guys. Not to much to comment on. For future CLL'ers things to expect would include real tightness in the soft tissues as your exceed the 4cm/5cm mark.  Hamstrings, Quads, Hips and IT Band area, all will become tighter and tighter as you continue to lengthen.  I am now stretching right after every single lengthening session in effort to manage the soft tissue stretch the best I can in effort to maximize my gains and hopefully ease my recovery. 

Pain: Same story here... bed time and early morning, wake up time is the worst.  I'd give it a 3-4 today.   I experience heavy tightness to go along with some knee pain. All wore off after about 10 minutes of activity, after I woke up.

Flexibility and movement: Moving around just fine.   With that in mind, the tightness of hamstrings has created about a 3 degree bend in the right leg. (not very noticeable). Also, some pressure on back has been introduced now. Very minor; but wanted to report every slight change in my body to you all.  IT band is also tight; so working hard on loosening this area as well.   My goal at this point as mentioned is to manage as to  maximize.  Flexibility will not return until I stop using the ERC device.

Today's' Activities: 4 hour work day via remote connection, 3 self PT Session,

5 More days left until 2 inches guys.   Looking forward to this.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon and best regards.

Purushrottam

Wow man you are blazing through this. It'll be over before you know it.

I'm seriously impressed that you are able to work 4 hours a day remotely. When I was doing LL, I was so demotivated that I had to be dragged into doing the 2-3 physical therapy sessions.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

InFullStryde

I'm seriously impressed that you are able to work 4 hours a day remotely. When I was doing LL, I was so demotivated that I had to be dragged into doing the 2-3 physical therapy sessions.

Puru, Thank you, man.   I totally get and understand the motivation part.  CLL is a test of wills, big time.  I have my good and bad days; that is for sure.

MichaelJose

Great work pal - keep going

InFullStryde

Day 59 Post Op - 5 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.506 cm or 1.77 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I'm going to take a break with a thorough update today. I really just need to rest. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Wishing all of you well this weekend!

5 More days left until 2 inches.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon and best regards.

MirinHeight

Day 59 Post Op - 5 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.506 cm or 1.77 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I'm going to take a break with a thorough update today. I really just need to rest. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Wishing all of you well this weekend!

5 More days left until 2 inches.

hey man, hows your walk full weight bearing?
does it look normal or no? Can others tell something is wrong when walking full weight bearing?

thnx
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

InFullStryde

hey man, hows your walk full weight bearing?
does it look normal or no? Can others tell something is wrong when walking full weight bearing?

thnx

Hi MirinHeight!

Good questions. Everyone is different, I know. I have reviewed a few other Styrde Diaries and everyone has a different way to report the weight bearing attribute.

For me, I can weight bear and take steps; but those steps look very much like there is something wrong and its immediately noticeable.  My unassisted steps are small and since, my glutes and hips are taking a long time to resurface; I am compensating strongly.  I mainly am using my crutches to get around, as a result.  While using my crutches, I am full weight bearing still. I use the crutches only to level my hips/glutes since for now they are not ready to produce as they need to.   This little point that I can use crutches with ease is great news because one can resume work and other family activity looking more natural versus, being confined to a walker which doesn't simulate a good walking gate as much as crutches can.

For a someone who was pre-op, more active physically with their legs and much better shape in there hips/glutes area, I anticipate they will walk a lot more swiftly than I do at this point. I was the guy that skipped leg day and barely did any type of leg activities.  Was all upper body and frankly, I barely even took walks.  Now with all this in mind, I am walking much better at this point than anyone using the previous Precise method since I am able to weight bear of course. 

So the moral of the story is that the Stryde nail can easily hold you.  In your Pre-Op, I do see value in activating your hamstrings, quads, hips, glutes as much as you can so that they are alert and more ready to deal with the surgery effects. 

I hope I answered your question, MirinHeight! It's a toss up really as to when one will walk more "normally" with Styrde.  The good news is that you can weight bear regardless of the walking.  I do not believe that under most circumstances that anyone will have a "normal walk with Stryde" nails until at least some weeks after distraction is completed. Could still be a couple of months.  It all depends on those factors that you just don't know until you go through the surgery. Also,  I do feel confident that after my distraction is done that I will progress pretty fast with the walking since I can weight bear from day one post distraction.  I am looking forward to that.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let me know!  Thank you and best regards,

makeme6ft

Hello IFS good to see you still holding strong. Many users complain that the hardest part of LL is the boredom when alone in a far away country with half your body functioning.  Since you work 4-8 hours mostly and spend a solid amount of hours doing PT I can imagine you're pretty occupied in life right now. I also have no problems with boredom and have accepted my frames as part of daily life. To be honest I only rage at them when Im trying to get a comfortable sleep.

Anyway I notice you have problems in sleeping and the first hour of waking up is hard and I have the same sentiments as you...

Might I suggest a latex foam mattress, they are very soft and would help you a lot if you're a side sleeper. The normal beds are hard and only help if you're a back sleeper but as we sleep our body changes positions and it makes it very uncomfortable if you change sides and wake up due to pain.

Or its cheaper alternative - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYG9WB8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oyg-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00UYG9WB8&linkId=c1e4bca3e7126ae03e9f7af68232a5c7 - credits to overrideyourgenetics from his website

InFullStryde

Hello IFS good to see you still holding strong. Many users complain that the hardest part of LL is the boredom when alone in a far away country with half your body functioning.  Since you work 4-8 hours mostly and spend a solid amount of hours doing PT I can imagine you're pretty occupied in life right now. I also have no problems with boredom and have accepted my frames as part of daily life. To be honest I only rage at them when Im trying to get a comfortable sleep.

Anyway I notice you have problems in sleeping and the first hour of waking up is hard and I have the same sentiments as you...

Might I suggest a latex foam mattress, they are very soft and would help you a lot if you're a side sleeper. The normal beds are hard and only help if you're a back sleeper but as we sleep our body changes positions and it makes it very uncomfortable if you change sides and wake up due to pain.

Or its cheaper alternative - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYG9WB8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oyg-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00UYG9WB8&linkId=c1e4bca3e7126ae03e9f7af68232a5c7 - credits to overrideyourgenetics from his website

Thank you. I'm going to put my order in today.

InFullStryde

Day 60 Post Op - 4 more days until 2 inch milestone [4.606 cm or 1.813 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

We continue forward on this journey.  I have reviewed many forum posts from CLL veterans, CLL'ers in progress, and the prospect CLL'ers who are thinking through this decision intently.   I will tell you that each persons experience is unique and different in many ways, however, there are a few things that will always be common to all CLL'ers.   The CLL procedure is long, it is challenging and it requires a great deal of work from the patient in order to be successful.   You truly will feel like you earned every centimeter and you should have great pride in that.  I cannot wait to finalize the distraction and then begin the healing phases.  I'm not sure where I will stop my lengthening, but I do know that I will reach 2 inches or 5 cm, at minimum.  I am only 4 day away from this huge milestone.

Pain: Middle of the night in the early morning, pain is always at it's worst and nothing has changed for me at this point.   I take my pain meds, try to loosen up a bit with stretching and some standing and back to bed.  Hoping that I can rest well soon. At this point I'm probably averaging about 2-4 hours a sleep per night.  I try to catch up on sleep during the day time where I will have sleep breaks often. Oh, one thing to mention. My famous left let, actually my left hip was acting a bit funny today.  It was hurting when I put weight on it so I suspended any strong walking during later afternoon and evening. Will rest this so that I can actively train my walking, hopefully by tomorrow.

Flexibility and movement: The more you lengthen, the more difficult this will become. I have lengthened my leg almost 2 inches, exactly (That is a lot!).   I am stretching 3 times a day now and I've added extra sets and reps and it seems to be helping. I'm tight in all femur related muscles.   Again, I can take baby steps without assistance devices, but prefer crutches since they support me.   I am full weight bearing for about 45+ days now.

Today's' Activities: 8 hour work day via remote connection, 3 Self PT Sessions, and 1 upper body work out on my bowflex.

CLL Symptoms Minor leg bending of about 2 degrees, however I am able to straighten after stretching and flexing intently.  Slight Lordosis (not really noticeable, unless i point it out, but can be felt on lower back).  PT says that the legs will straighten easily with the stretching and the Lordosis is unavoidable since the butt and hips are still weak.   Working aggressively on butt, hips, and abs at the moment and going forward.

Body Condition: Feeling strong today in upper body and the legs. 

I can't believe it is day 60 guys.  Time is flying and I like that.   I'll keep you posted as I approach the big 2 inch day.   On Friday, I have my follow up with Dr. M; so I should be able to upload my x-rays as well for your review.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:07:47 AM by InFullStryde »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32   Go Up