Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123518 times)

BeYourBest

That would be awesome, man. Great mind state to be in.  Hit me up if you have any other questions.

I will do man, thanks again. Looking forward to your update. All the best!

takura

How’s your gait? As in your walking style.. even with crutches

I walk in a total knee bending position and I haven’t even breached 5cm yet.

InFullStryde

How’s your gait? As in your walking style.. even with crutches

I walk in a total knee bending position and I haven’t even breached 5cm yet.

Hi Takura,

It's not to bad. It's very stiff and slow right now.  I'll make a video so everyone can see how I look the 1st day after I complete the distraction phase.

My legs are very slightly bent and the knee.  maybe 1 to 3 degrees.  I'm not to concerned. 

How much are your legs bending ?...did you do femurs or tibia? What length are you at right now?
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

wannagrowtaller

Did you ask Dr M about stem cells to consolidation?
Go for it

InFullStryde

Did you ask Dr M about stem cells to consolidation?

I'll have to remember for next time.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

InFullStryde

(Monday) Day 81 Post Op - The Final Week of distraction phase....  [6.5 cm or 2.56 inches Taller!]

Greetings CLL'ers,

Another day in another way indeed.  I just hit the 6.5cm milestone and I'm feeling great about that. I won't be able to update the forum for a few days; so I just wanted to check in and let you know I'm still at it.  I'm 99.999% sure that I will end my distraction phase this week.  I am happy with the height gain I have received and am ready to begin healing and get on with life.  I'll update you on my Status and next steps on Friday.  Thank you again for all your support.

My current physical status is as follows:

1) Tight Hamstrings, Quads, and Hips. Interestingly enough...my left leg is looser than my right. Right feels very tight.
2) Knee Extension issue is minor at about 1% on left leg and maybe 3% on right leg. I still feel locking sensation in both legs.
3) Duck Ass (Anterior Pelvic Tilt) is moderate.   My glutes are very weak and my hip-flexors extremely tight, hence duck ass.  I am working hard on abs and butt, with walking included.  I anticipate that this will begin to fade once my lengthening concludes on Friday. I have never had APT before; so I expect it to go away in the coming weeks and months.
4) IT Band is surprisingly doing well.  My legs want to flare outward only a tiny bit; not bad at all.  So I dodged a bullet on this one.
5) Overall flexibility is not very good.  Will be recovering my flexibility for quite some time post lengthening.
6) Nerve Issue - Minor Numbness in Shins.  Feeling should come back; but will take time.

Best regards and will be back to update soon!

IFS
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:57:27 AM by InFullStryde »

Ghostfish

Hi IFS

Congrats on reaching 6.5.  That is a great achievement!  I am very happy for you.  Although you have a little of problems here and there, it looks like general problems so they will be getting better soon in my opinion.  Of course, Dr. M will tell you better.

Good luck for the rest of journey!

takura

Hi Takura,

It's not to bad. It's very stiff and slow right now.  I'll make a video so everyone can see how I look the 1st day after I complete the distraction phase.

My legs are very slightly bent and the knee.  maybe 1 to 3 degrees.  I'm not to concerned. 

How much are your legs bending ?...did you do femurs or tibia? What length are you at right now?

Can't wait for the video.. resource would help me a lot of future lengtheners

Did Dr. M calculate your bending degree? I have no idea how much angle the knees are bending but I basically walk and stand like A

I even sleep like that since I can't fully straigthen the knees.

I'm doing externals on tibia, I wasn't even expecting this issue to be honest. I thought I'd get bellerina feet or something but this is my biggest problem

InFullStryde

\
Can't wait for the video.. resource would help me a lot of future lengtheners

Did Dr. M calculate your bending degree? I have no idea how much angle the knees are bending but I basically walk and stand like A

I even sleep like that since I can't fully straigthen the knees.

I'm doing externals on tibia, I wasn't even expecting this issue to be honest. I thought I'd get bellerina feet or something but this is my biggest problem

Hi Takura!

My Physical Therapist measured me.  One thing I know for sure is that there isn't anything to worry about. Your legs will straigten back out within a 1 to 3 months after you complete lengthening depending on how far you have to go.

To me, model A, looks like 5-10 degree and isn't too bad.  I'm surprised you got that with Tibia as well; but I have heard that it can happen.  How many CM's have you done so far?

Keep in mind that once you are done lengthening the tight muscles will begin to relax and not pull you around so much. You'll see instant progress in your recovery within days.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:53:46 AM by InFullStryde »

Ghostfish

Hi takura

Did you do only tibia?  If so, which nails or method?  How much did you do or are you lengthening?  Although you have to ask your doctor for details, it can happen with tibia.  You need to stretch a lot.  If you have Stryde, stand and walk, which are the best.  If not, do your best to stretch your legs. They will get better at some point.

Good luck!!

wannagrowtaller

I'll have to remember for next time.
Please, don't forget.
Go for it

Ayesha12345

6.5cm is amazing, you’ve come a long way! I wanted to ask how was your flexibility before? For someone quite flexible as me do you think I’ll still retain more than an average person does during lengthening?

InFullStryde

6.5cm is amazing, you’ve come a long way! I wanted to ask how was your flexibility before? For someone quite flexible as me do you think I’ll still retain more than an average person does during lengthening?

Hi Ayesha,  I had very average flexibility before surgery. I was able to touch my toes when standing up.  At a lengthened amount of 6.5cm; I barely have any flexibility left.  Unfortunately, CLL will take most of your flexibility away; but you can regain it after months of working on it after you are completed with distraction.

MirinHeight

Hi Ayesha,  I had very average flexibility before surgery. I was able to touch my toes when standing up.  At a lengthened amount of 6.5cm; I barely have any flexibility left.  Unfortunately, CLL will take most of your flexibility away; but you can regain it after months of working on it after you are completed with distraction.

it seems like you were doing better when it comes to flexibility/walking @ 4 cm or less than 4 cm lengthened. Would this be accurate?

Thanks for the diary man!
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

TemakiSushi

Hi InFullStryde
I’m glad to read you are doing very good and soon completing LL without big problems
Thank you very much for writing such a detailed diary always :D
I have some questions about skin numbness of shin
When did you start having this numbness?
Do you know what is actually  causing the numbness, is it something to do with IT band release or biceps tendon release?
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

InFullStryde

it seems like you were doing better when it comes to flexibility/walking @ 4 cm or less than 4 cm lengthened. Would this be accurate?

Thanks for the diary man!

Hi Mirin,  Definitely felt looser at 4cm. Walking wise, I walk better now then at 4cm; since my legs have more strength. Flexibility wise, I definitely felt better at or below 4cm. Not by a long shot; but I would say that I could stretch about an inch or two further with most movements.  It was after the 4cm mark that I started to to feel stiffer.

InFullStryde

Hi InFullStryde
I’m glad to read you are doing very good and soon completing LL without big problems
Thank you very much for writing such a detailed diary always :D
I have some questions about skin numbness of shin
When did you start having this numbness?
Do you know what is actually  causing the numbness, is it something to do with IT band release or biceps tendon release?

If I can recall, I believe it was at about 5cm.  The numbness is from the stretching of nerves in the legs. One you really get stretched out, the superficial nerves start to become numb.  The numb sensation should start to go away once the lengthening is over. We shall see how it goes. :-)

totallyred

Bro... please tell if one does not have to walk a lot in the office..i mean he can work while being on wheel chair, how long you think he'll be able to attend office post surgery... thank you.

What is the duration fow which one can walk 30 days post-op non stop?  Overall can he remain seated and without lying down for 8-10 hours on wheel chair.

Please tell.
Thank you and best wishes.

wannagrowtaller

If you will not do tibias too, why don't you try the full 8cm?
Go for it

InFullStryde

Bro... please tell if one does not have to walk a lot in the office..i mean he can work while being on wheel chair, how long you think he'll be able to attend office post surgery... thank you.

What is the duration fow which one can walk 30 days post-op non stop?  Overall can he remain seated and without lying down for 8-10 hours on wheel chair.

Please tell.
Thank you and best wishes.

Hi TotallyRed!

Due to the unpredictable nature of the post-op condition of each patient; I would say that it is best to wait at least 4 weeks before considering returning to the office.   It is very possible to work at a desk job for 8 hours per day with the latest technology Stryde Nail.  During my procedure, I worked full time from home since day 3, Post Op.  Of course, I was in the privacy of my own home, and I was able to lay down in my bed to stretch and do the things I needed, privately.   I suggest week 4 because by then, most, if not all surgical pains will be gone and you would have also started to develop strength.  In an office setting, it could work out; so long that you had support of your office mates.  You will need to get up every so often for restroom breaks, heat up some food, etc.  Would be wonderful if you had these things accessible to you in the office so that you would not have to move around too much.    In summary, if one must work post CLL, then I advise 4 weeks as the minimum date to return via wheelchair and be sure to bring your walker/crutches so that you can walk around a bit.

As far as walking with Stryde.  A big misconception that many have is that you can walk normally on the stryde nail as if nothing happened.   The truth is that although Stryde can hold your body weight without breaking; the patient will not be able to walk with normal gait for weeks and months. A BIG advantage of Stryde is that you can leverage a FULL WEIGHT BEARING approach to your strengthening program from day 1.  You can put FULL WEIGHT on your body when using crutches and walker and eventually once your body overcomes the stretching of soft tissue, you can walk all on you own.  I would not expect to have a high quality Gait until Month 4, 5, or 6. For some, it could be as long as 7.   I am estimating that my gait will be acceptable during 5th or 6th month of recovery.   Until this time; be sure you have your crutches available and use them often so that you can gain strength and flexibility back into your legs.     Keep in mind that this is still a lot better recovery time then the previous Precise II nails where one could expect to barely be standing by month 5 or 6 due to the required consolidation time before being permitted to fully weight bear.   Stryde changes everything and in my opinion locks recovery time into a true 6 month time table (3 months to distract, 3 months to consolidate and recover gait).  I'm really anxious to start phase II, but I have a bit longer to go.  I will see if I can post a video of what my walk looks like on the initial days, post distraction so that the community has a clear understanding of what a walk might look like for them.

Thank you again and let me know if you have any questions!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:45:12 PM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

If you will not do tibias too, why don't you try the full 8cm?

I would love that! We will just have to see what my body tolerates.  I will update on my next steps on Friday and include latest x-ray.  Dr. M will also evaluate my body and him and I will decide together.

wannagrowtaller

I would love that! We will just have to see what my body tolerates.  I will update on my next steps on Friday and include latest x-ray.  Dr. M will also evaluate my body and him and I will decide together.
Nice. I'm waiting for this update.
Go for it

wannagrowtaller

I hope you are able to fill 8cm without issues if thats what you want.
Go for it

InFullStryde

I hope you are able to fill 8cm without issues if thats what you want.

Thank you!

BeYourBest

Hey IFS,

Just checking in, how is everything? I hope you're doing good.

InFullStryde

Hey IFS,

Just checking in, how is everything? I hope you're doing good.

Hi Buddy, So far, so good!  I'll have another update tomorrow. Going to have a check in with Dr. M tomorrow and we'll decide whether I should keep going or not. Will also have x-rays to review.  I believe I'm around 6.5-6.8cm.

wannagrowtaller

I'm rooting for you to keep going.
Go for it

BeYourBest

Hi Buddy, So far, so good!  I'll have another update tomorrow. Going to have a check in with Dr. M tomorrow and we'll decide whether I should keep going or not. Will also have x-rays to review.  I believe I'm around 6.5-6.8cm.

Fantastic gain already. You’re smashing it man. Looking forward to your update.

Also, I was watching some YouTube clips of your doctor. He seems like a decent guy. Choosing a trustworthy doctor is so important. You’re in good hands.

InFullStryde

Fantastic gain already. You’re smashing it man. Looking forward to your update.

Also, I was watching some YouTube clips of your doctor. He seems like a decent guy. Choosing a trustworthy doctor is so important. You’re in good hands.

Dr. M has been great.  I am very lucky to have had a great surgeon who performs CLL local to where I live. It has made this tough process that much more tolerable for me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:47:43 AM by InFullStryde »

Hex

• @gustavotrrs instagram

Hey, you could do 8cm right? And why not do that? Being 5'5.5 would be very good, whatever boot you wore would reach you in exact 5'7. Think about it!
I'm looking for growth alternatives outside LL.
my instagram @gustavotrrs

InFullStryde

Hey, you could do 8cm right? And why not do that? Being 5'5.5 would be very good, whatever boot you wore would reach you in exact 5'7. Think about it!

Thanks Hex! I think that for me, 8cm would be about 5'4.35"...but even that would be amazing.  It will all depend on if my body can tolerate it.  Tomorrow will be a big day as myself and Dr. M talk about where I stand and where I should go.  Thank you again for the support, man!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Up